PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA Now Shipping the Nokia 770

pawa
2005-12-03, 14:56
CompUSA begins to ship 770 ...

Only in their website and not avalibale in-store ...

check it out ...

CompUSA Nokia 770 (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336223&pfp=SEARCH)

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-03, 15:09
Order'd and cancl'd the nokiausa one. Thanks Pawa!

pawa
2005-12-03, 15:19
I am not in us, but I will be have one ...

bla bla blaaa...

pgn674
2005-12-03, 15:24
Order'd and cancl'd the nokiausa one. Thanks Pawa!
Aw man, now I really don't know what to do... It's $50 more at the CompUSA site (I got a $10 coupon for the NokiaUSA site), but they might run out really fast and get a worse backorder then Nokia. Also, I ordered on November 14th, so I'm near the front of their line. This CompUSA now shipping thing might indicate that Nokia is ready to ship. And, CompUSA just sent out e-mails to their subscribers at 10:00AM today it seems, so they just started allowing orders. When I ordered from the Nokia site, they said they were shipping November 17th. CompUSA say they're shipping now. Can I believe them? I don't know what to do!
AAAAAHHHH!

pawa
2005-12-03, 15:28
maybe you can order both of them, keep the one you get first and sell the one you get later.

I'm sure you can sell the all in new 770, what do you think ?

newsbot
2005-12-03, 15:30
It seems like CompUSA is now shipping the Nokia 770. On their website, it
now shows that the Nokia 770 is [LINK:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336223] now
available online (not available in-store) for $399.99 with free shipping.
Note however that their price is $40 more than Nokia USA`s.

Will it be worth cancelling pre-orders at Nokia USA and order through
CompUSA instead?

[Thanks pawa and Concrete Donkey!]...Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/146)

pgn674
2005-12-03, 15:38
Hey hey, check out the NokiaUSA site. When you go to order, the message now says:
We are currently fulfilling a large number of backorders for this device. New orders for the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet are expected to be shipped by December 30, 2005.

Your credit card will not be charged until your order is available for shipment. You will receive a shipment confirmation email at that time. Thank you for your patience.

And, when you add it to your cart, it says available on December 30.
Hm, maybe I'll order from CompUSA and keep my NokiaUSA order, and when I receive a tracking number from one, and the shipper says they have it, I'll try and cancel the other before that one ships.

skynetos
2005-12-03, 15:39
I do not like how Nokia is treating its pre-orders... I may just have to put Nokia on the "list".

Reggie
2005-12-03, 15:50
Ok, I intially pre-ordered two units at Noika USA for my brother and I. What I did was to cancel one and ordered one at CompUSA. Let's see which one will arrive first. ;)

jmccoy
2005-12-03, 16:13
I just picked one up from CompUSA in Greenville, SC. They had multiple units in stock, but they were not on display. I'm glad I canceled my pre-order when the projected ship date slipped, otherwise I'd be waiting until next year for it. I'll post some first impressions after I get back to my house.

Hedgecore
2005-12-03, 16:21
Lemmie guess Reggie, yours is whichever arrives first ;) Anyone doing any international shipments from compUSA? I've got two options. A coffee/rage fuelled road trip to the store in Amherst NY (3-4 hr drive from Toronto), or order it. Which means MAD duties.

waddell
2005-12-03, 19:07
Looks like compusa online is now saying that delivery will take 2-4 weeks. What now? Maybe they can get nokia to send them more units that were supposed to be for pre-orders through their website and then they can push those pre-orders out till february. :mad:

punk84
2005-12-03, 19:12
Well, went to compusa in my home town Jacksonville, FL. and it was in stock
so I purchased it.
Sad, but understandable that retail stores get devices before individual customers with preorders.

:cool: PunK84

grayfoot
2005-12-03, 19:19
I called my local Compusa and was told nothing would be in untill next week. Because the Early Adoptor gene is strong in my family, I drove up there anyway (Woburn, MA, USA), and had no trouble buying one. The software version by the way is 2.2005.45-7.

pgn674
2005-12-03, 19:31
Hmm, the closest CompUSA store to me is a 4.5 hour drive away :/

Reggie
2005-12-03, 19:37
Mine is 3.5 hrs. :( Still thinking if I'll there tomorrow. lol

Fliptrx
2005-12-03, 19:52
Found this on the CompUSA web site:

"This product is not currently in stock at any of our warehouse locations. We have ordered the product from our supplier, but have not received a date yet as to when we will receive this product. We will update you on the status of your order via email."

skynetos
2005-12-03, 19:57
yeah i talked to the kid at compusa. They get new shipments every night. And the Nokias came in a seperate shipment that was late! So I called yesterday and they said they had 3 on order but I knew I should check again today. Sure enough they were sitting in the cage in the back ready to be put on the floor somewhere. I snagged one up! And im hacking away at it as we speak.

Reggie
2005-12-03, 19:58
Hmm, that was fast! I guess they only had a few in stock. Better rush to your local CompUSA fast!

seindal
2005-12-03, 23:46
Hmmm. It seems the exclusivity of having a 770 is fading :-)

waddell
2005-12-04, 00:18
ok, I went to compsa and got one. I have a friend who I'll probably sell my backordered unit to.

lbattraw
2005-12-04, 01:55
I went to the Castleton mall (Indiana) store and they didn't have a display out. I almost gave up and left before noticing they had several behind glass in one of the cases they keep the expensive stuff in-- cameras, PDAs, etc. The guy there said they just came in today and hadn't had a chance to set the display up. Now I have one am I 1337 yet? :) There were probably three there (now two!).

0tim0
2005-12-04, 02:37
I got the $50 discount at NokiaUSA. Add the extra $40 it costs at CompUSA and it's a $90 difference. I can't justify that :(

I'm just completely shocked that those of us who pre-ordered on the 14th are not getting shipping notices (or any kind of communication) from NokiaUSA before they are available at retail stores.

Knowing my luck I'll get it mid-December and then Steve Jobs will introduce the new Applet at Mac World in January :(

--t

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-04, 03:01
I ordered it before the email went out saying it was avalible. It shipped earlier today :)

Seems I logged onto itT just in the nick of time!

Disconnect
2005-12-04, 03:07
The one in Glen Burnie, MD was sent three. (As with others, I had to drive there. Phone calls were useless.)

Now they have only two. :)

Reggie
2005-12-04, 03:31
Pics guys! Upload them at the gallery.

Biomech
2005-12-04, 03:37
Thanks guys! I found one at Compusa and now I'm typing this at a bar.

My CompUSA had no display. I had to talk to several employees before I found one that knew about the 770. He said that they received two on Friday and he pulled them out of a locked cabinet behind the cell phones.

ChuckP
2005-12-04, 05:39
Nokia, Nokia, Nokia where is my 770! ARRRRGH :mad:

bradb
2005-12-04, 07:31
Well, I went to the closest CompUSA and asked the guy at the desk. He looked puzzled at the search results (which were showing 3 units in stock).

He then told me he couldn't sell them because their website said it wasn't available in stores; suggesting they were going to put out an ad on Monday. I was ok until he started to tell me all about the 770 (which he never heard of until I asked) which was annoying.

Anyways; I'll be back tomorrow to see if I can find someone who will sell one :-)

Brad.

flipjetiel
2005-12-04, 14:37
@brad, thats total bs, go get it : )

I went and checked 'm out on friday, they had three, + one on display. went back on saturday and bought the first one. In fact, i am posting this from the 770

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-04, 15:20
I dunno if anyone has noticed, but the CSUA website now says "In Store Only". I guess I had some really, really, really good timing eh?

Jeffgrado
2005-12-04, 15:42
Got mine. The guy said that they were selling one everyday since the display went up.

Azimuth Media
2005-12-04, 15:49
This deviant spent an extra $70 at CUSA. It is a Christmas gift, and I just couldn't chance Nokia wouldn't send thiers out in time!

Jeffgrado
2005-12-04, 16:35
Yes, I guess this is a case of voting with our wallets! Or atleast, that's what I tell myself for spending the extra cash. Maybe the chain stores will listen :)

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-04, 19:13
This deviant spent an extra $70 at CUSA. It is a Christmas gift, and I just couldn't chance Nokia wouldn't send thiers out in time!
hehe, same.

mk500
2005-12-04, 21:11
I went to the CompUSA website and searched on the part number. They allowed me to enter my zip code and check store availability (that wasn't possible yesterday).

It was in stock in the downtown San Francisco store, and my wife just picked one up for me.

Return policy at CompUSA is extended to January 7 through the holidays. Mine is a Christmas present (for ME). I also ordered from NokiaUSA very early on the morning of Nov. 15th, so if my order comes, I'll keep that one and return the CompUSA one. I have a feeling they have given our initial shipment to CompUSA though, and the Nokia-order gang will be waiting until post-Christmas.

This is quite evil of Nokia, but at least I'm guaranteed one for Christmas now. What a totally screwed up launch.

UPDATE: CompUSA rep said each store received 5, one demo and 4 to sell. There are only 2 left in San Francisco as of 1:09PST.

grey_matter
2005-12-04, 22:12
Silly how I can feel such "betrayal" all for an internet appliance. Seriously though, as others have mentioned, this is ****ed up. On the nokia usa site reads "It's not what you know, but when you know it." (nokia 770 sub-title)

WTF this mean in lieu of everything? Compusa was planning to sell this product to end consumers, and make it available before the Nokia pre orders? Did Nokia us the online "pre-order demand" as a metric to predict it's q4 05 success?

At any rate, **** you very much Nokia, for pissing in the cornflakes of we early adopter / enthusiasts. You've clearly demonstated some clever "viral marketing."

I can understand back orders, under run production. However, why penalize the people who want this the most? At any rate, i realize i should GMOFB.

Unbelievable.

bradb
2005-12-05, 02:30
Thanks flip!

Happily, the website was updated late last night and I've got it in my hands...

DaveC
2005-12-05, 11:45
Picked one up at a Comp USA in San Bruno, they had 3 in stock...well, 2 now. Keeping my pre-order from Nokia as it's likely one of my friends will buy it off of me.

Could always e-bay or offer it up here if I can't unload it any other way...

BTW, worth the $40 to have it now, I know, I'm impatient. But it's pretty darned cool and the screen is pretty dammed nice too.

Quick impressions so far:
-Opened up a 5 MB pdf/e-book just fine, paging is a bit slow (even if no other apps were opened up) but the text is very readable.
-The built in games are pretty and show off the screen very well. Downloading some other apps/games to try out right now.
-Linked via Bluetooth to my Razr V3 just fine and can browse, copy, send files to/from the Razr V3 just fine. Can't seem to get to the internet via GPRS though, will have to play with the settings a bit more.
-Secure POP3 access to Gmail's servers is a bit flaky, was able to check my inbox once but it's flaking out now, sending seems to work just fine. Anyone figure out the proper configs yet (yes, I'm using the right ports).
-Browsing is slightly sluggish, but usable. Zoom mode works well. Interface needs some fine tuning, it'd be nice to be able to scroll around more easily using just the direction pad and copying and pasting text should have a dedicated button instead of being buried in the text entry options menu.

Overall though, I'm glad I got it and I think it'll be quite useful. Especially as an e-book reader.

Dave

Hedgecore
2005-12-05, 14:31
There may be a pending Canadian invasion on Michigan in a few weeks. Can anyone comment on how realistic CompUSA's stock levels as reported on the web site are to what's actually in store? Would they hold something like that for a few hours? Detroit looks like the best bet because there's 4-5 of the stores within a few hours' drive... whereas NY is spread out like mad.

Mike Cane
2005-12-05, 16:01
It's in the CUSA weekly flyer in the Sunday paper. Weather keeps me from going to look. Was going to on Saturday, but too damned cold. Now more snow on the way. Yecch.

Maybe we should have ONE thread for everyone's First Impressions?

RogerS
2005-12-05, 16:23
-Opened up a 5 MB pdf/e-book just fine, paging is a bit slow (even if no other apps were opened up) but the text is very readable.

I'm glad I got it and I think it'll be quite useful. Especially as an e-book reader.
Have you tried Plucker Viewer (http://oss.kernelconcepts.de/maemo/app-install.shtml) and FBReader (http://only.mawhrin.net/fbreader/) yet?

I think you'll like either of them more than PDF.

reini
2005-12-05, 18:05
It's in the CUSA weekly flyer in the Sunday paper. Weather keeps me from going to look. Was going to on Saturday, but too damned cold. Now more snow on the way. Yecch.

Maybe we should have ONE thread for everyone's First Impressions?

here is no flyer, no snow anymore, no sunday paper, but waste have to carry to the container, a dog pissed the edge, the wind takes it to my knees and i stand with one finger to the air in front to the trash can:

hmm ....

smells like teen spirit

abgesehen davon: we need a first impression thread.

gnuite
2005-12-05, 20:27
With my nokiausa order "Processed on Nov. 16," with no status other than "Order is Open," I ventured to my nearest CompUSA (Fairfax, VA, USA). The sales people didn't even know what the Nokia 770 was; kept pointing me in the direction of these other tablets that they had. They looked on compusa.com and pointed to the "Coming Soon" icon, but with enough persistence, I was able to get them to look in the back ("locked up") for it, and lo and behold, the treasure was found!

Still opening it as I type - yes, the power of Patience is strong enough to delay opening long enough to post, but not strong enough to wait for Nokia to speak up about my order.

druja
2005-12-05, 22:36
I picked up one at the downtown SF store this morning. They had one on display, but it didn't have internet connectivity. I got it to link up with my 9500 on T-Mobile finally, and its very nice. The web browser is much better than Opera on the 9500. The PDF viewer died trying to open the Caltrain schedule.

Illuminator
2005-12-05, 23:31
I have been watching this forum since I placed my order on 14 November and, along with most everyone else, have been becoming very frustrated at Nokia's tactics during this whole rollout. That being said, I took the opportunity to email Nokia. I currently am awaiting a reply.

I will post the text of my email, depending on their reply.

mk500
2005-12-06, 01:27
I have been watching this forum since I placed my order on 14 November and, along with most everyone else, have been becoming very frustrated at Nokia's tactics during this whole rollout. That being said, I took the opportunity to email Nokia. I currently am awaiting a reply.

I will post the text of my email, depending on their reply.

What email address did you use? I keep getting bounces when I try to email them. I'm pretty annoyed with them as well.

unixguy
2005-12-06, 02:03
Got one in Rochester, New York CompUSA, but I am taking it back. I thought my Purchasing people would anty up for getting one early, I was wrong, and people wonder why big companies can't compete. I will just wait for the pre-orders we placed, maybe we will see them in another month.

bsarsgard
2005-12-06, 03:31
I just picked one up in Towson, MD (writing this from it now), and so far I am pretty disappointed with it. The screen is great, but typing is a chore, as it misses clicks if you go too fast (it will make the click noise but ignore the input ), and often registers a double click. The handwriting is simply atrocious, onot worth using at all.

It is also severely unstable, and in just 1 hour I've had 4 crashes just browsing here and the maemo wiki.

Flash performance is terrible. I tried to watch a clip on homestarrunner.com and it was like a slideshow.

skynetos
2005-12-06, 04:16
wellt he only issues ive had are with the extra processes from the browser/rss reader.

The browser works great with any webpage. Sure flash gets choppy but it isnt a desktop!

So far so good I love it! I was walking around my University today with my Nokia 770 reading email via bluetooth EVDO through my phone.

It does not get much better than that! :)

Hedgecore
2005-12-06, 04:47
Unixguy: Any idea as to stock levels? Michigan or New York are the only choices close to Toronto...

mishref
2005-12-06, 08:25
My brother got me one from Lansing, Michigan .. I have to wait till the 16th to bring it with him.

Hedgecore
2005-12-06, 12:54
Ok, so sounds like they're not a rarity. Man I can't believe I wanna do this. :/

GoCubs
2005-12-06, 14:50
I too got frustrated with Nokia's tatics so I cancelled my order. Although I've called twice, the website still says my order is open. They say it will say this for "approximately a month" even though it's been cancelled. LOL

Anyways, I was able to pick up a 770 at a local CompUSA. Like other posters, most of the people on the phone don't realize they have some in stock... Make sure you give them the product number so they can check their local inventory.

Although the web site will not let you view store inventories via the 770 page, I was able to figure out a URL that will let you check by zip code.

http://www.compusa.com/products/availability.asp?product_code=336223&stores=1&pfp=browse&zip=10001

Change the last five digits of the URL to you zip code.

I believe these pages are refreshed once a day in the weeee hours of the night.

Good luck!
-Greg

fuslit
2005-12-06, 18:30
Thanks for the link! I'm going to check tonight at a store close to me and see if they still have any in stock. With the experience I'm getting now from Nokia and the non communication about something I ordered almost a month ago. I may just pony up and get the one from C-usa. *sigh* it really sucks, but I've wanted this thing from the begining when it wasn't going to be released for 5 months!

I think it's a shame that the 'early' adoptors are made to wait while the general public can pick them up for a more expensive price.

I wish that Nokia would at least appoligize about the delay ... but, honestly I'm pretty excited that it will be in Compusa, at least the coverage of this will be wider spread and hopefully this will avoid the same fate that Sharp's Zaurus has had.

I didn't get to get one of those either :(

Wish me luck.

-Todd

Illuminator
2005-12-06, 22:50
What email address did you use? I keep getting bounces when I try to email them. I'm pretty annoyed with them as well.

I had to dig through the support site & found a web form to send the email. The form stated that I could expect a reply in 24-48 hours. Haven't received anything yet.
A funny thing did happen today though. I received a message from Nokia, order confirmation, wanting me to call customer support within the next 72 hours or they would cancel my order. When I called they wanted to confirm my order info. I asked why and they said they do this.... I asked, "for everyone?" They said "for most." I think it was interesting. I also asked abut shipment and was told either mid-December or earlier. I voiced my concern about seeing these devices available in retail stores when pre-orders are not being shipped. It was quiet after that. Thus, the call ended.

unixguy
2005-12-08, 03:07
The stock in the Rochester, NY CompUSA was three this past Saturday. Then I purchased one bringing the stock to 2. I will be returning the one I picked up. I do not know how many are left, but I know they will have one in a few days.

On the plus side I received email from Nokia to contact them about my order. I originally ordered in November and got the $50 discount. The rep said she had to just verify my order and I asked if it would ship on Dec 14. She stated that she was not allowed to say any more, but I might be pleasently surprised. Take it for what ever it means. If I get my nokia direct order soon I will post.

spacelunatic
2005-12-08, 18:30
FYI: Got the email with tracking # this morning. I ordered mine on Nov 16th. Mine should arrive on Monday!

I too got the $50 discount, and my tax was lower than local rate too for some reason.
Description: NOKIA 770 INTERNET TABLET
Shipped: 1 @ 359.99
Shipped: 1 @ -50.00
Product Subtotal : $309.99
Shipping & Handling : $0.00
Total Tax : $12.40
Order Total : $322.39

Still... that's just not right for CompUSA to get theirs while people who ordered early and direct are still waiting. Money talks.
:rolleyes:

Simon
2005-12-08, 18:58
[QUOTE=spacelunatic]FYI: Got the email with tracking # this morning. I ordered mine on Nov 16th. Mine should arrive on Monday!

Hmmm, my order went though on the 15th and nothing. Approximately what was your order number? Mine was 5723XXXX. I know the numbers aren't just for 770s so maybe you can't go by them to figure out how far up the order list you are.

sigger
2005-12-08, 21:46
Oh the heck with these idiots!!

I just got off the phone with Myra (cust svc rep) who told me that my order was cancelled because my credit card didn't go through. I never got a email - nothing. She told me that my order could be re-placed but could not be restored. Presumably I am now last in line even though I had an early 11/14 pre-order.

Since she did recheck my credit card while I was on-line and said she did not get authorization, I called cc company to find out the problem. They said it WAS authorized - even gave the time that PSF Web requested the $2.00 authorization.

So now I'm last in line for no reason.

The only consolation is that if I buy one at CUSA, Nokia probably nets less money than if I bought it direct.

kbellve
2005-12-09, 14:16
CompUSA sale.. cost + 5%
http://www.compusa.com/specials/fandf/ff1.asp?cm_ven=chth_em&cm_cat=em_1#

Hedgecore
2005-12-09, 18:12
Nice. Too bad I can't make it to the U.S. this weekend. :/ This will let us know what CompUSA's cost price is though.

barake
2005-12-10, 07:57
local compusa STILL does not have any in stock, and has not recieved any yet, according to the manager. everytime i talk to someone at the store, i'm told to call back in a few days, they'll have them for sure...

Tweak
2005-12-11, 00:56
kbellve, I managed to sneek a peak at item screen when a sales person looked it up (I worked there a lifetime ago) and the cost for the Nokia 770 is $305.

barake, I think your CompUSA has a few units on order in their computer. When I worked there that usually ment there was a unit allotment in transit that usually arrived in a week or two.