PDA

View Full Version : Problem with maemo mapper generating directions

rhouge
2007-04-01, 20:31
I am having problems downloading routes in maemo mapper. Earlier in the week i was getting a "cannot find server" error at the gnuite.com source url for gpx routes. Now that i am able to find the server (not sure how that got solved unless the server was just down) i am getting a new error, stating it cannot generate directions. The route i am trying is very basic (city to city, not numbered adress) and shows up fine when entered into google maps, so it is formatted properly. Anybody else having these issues? FYI: I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and am on an n800 with the latest os (released march23).

gnuite
2007-04-01, 23:22
I just downloaded a route from "San Francisco, CA" to "New York, NY". It took a few seconds (it's a long route!), but it loaded fine.

Are the two cities in the Unites States? Are you using maps.google.com to verify (as opposed to, say, maps.google.fr). Try using the GPX Driving Directions web service via the HTML interface, and see if you still get an error:

http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi

rhouge
2007-04-02, 00:11
Yes the routes are in the states (bloomington il - peoria il) and verify through the url you supplied. I think this all started after installing flite for voice directions. I think i used the version on your site. I have since uninstalled all my apps to try and get this working. I have a trip planned for next weekend that i was hoping to use the nokia for.

Even with this small issue, i appreciate all that you have provideed end users like me with your mapper. It really takes the nokia to a new level of usefulness.

gnuite
2007-04-02, 15:54
If you're willing to uninstall all your applications (as you've demonstrated), then perhaps you'd be willing to also wipe out your maemo-mapper configuration in hopes of solving the problem.

First, uninstall maemo-mapper. Then, from an xterm, run the following commands:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/maemo/maemo-mapper
rm -fr /home/user/.maemo-mapper/

Then, reinstall maemo-mapper and start it up. It should give you the whole "first time running maemo-mapper" bit. Set up your receiver and your repositories, then try downloading your route again.

If that doesn't work, write down the exact error message and tell me what it is. It might be a firewall problem. Is your N800 connecting to the same network that you used to test your route through http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi ? Any special proxy settings?

rhouge
2007-04-02, 16:32
Will do. Can you point me to a how to for xterm? Haven't done that yet. I will look for an xterm tutorial after work as well.

As for proxy, i am on the same connection as the trials from the html gpx site. In fact, it shows the .xml route file fine from my nokia, just not through the 'download route' function of mapper and into a route on the maps.

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate

schmots
2007-04-02, 18:16
For getting xterm and root, the meamo wiki has instructions.. so does my "sorely in need of an update" blog

rhouge
2007-04-02, 22:41
Thanks, I first tried gnuites "clear cache" code but I got "not recognized" Do I need to become root for this?

rhouge
2007-04-02, 22:59
Became root, but still the command is unrecognized. I feel ******ed.

rhouge
2007-04-02, 23:19
Nevermind, fellas...got it (you have to be careful typing on the little nokia keyboard ;)

Everyting is working perfectly again. Now I will try and install flite and if everything goes well I will give it a test run tonight.

Thanks again! These boards are lifesavers for end user geeks like me with no coding/linux skills.

Cheers!

rhouge
2007-04-03, 02:19
All is well, besides the robot voice announcing upcoming waypoints. Are there any other voice profiles available?

gnuite
2007-04-03, 15:26
Theoretically, any FestVox voice can be used with flite, but it's not as simple as putting a file in a directory. I think you'd have to re-compile flite with the new voice data. I've never tried it, though, I just built flite with the best available voice that came with it. See the flite documentation for guidance:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/doc/flite_8.html

rhouge
2007-04-09, 00:33
Hye guys, just got back from a trip from Peoria, IL to Atlanta using the nokia and mapper, great stuff here. Perfect directions from the gpx db. Thanks again for such a useful app and the supprot you provided me in my time of need ;)

Couple of questions: The voice alerts seemed to be pretty quite, but I did have my car stereo on, so that may have drown out the sound a bit. The nokia's main sound was up all the way, but I have other systems sounds muted. Which sound setting should I increase to get a louder alert?

Also, since this test of the app and gps reciever was successful, I am going to pursue hardwiring the nokia into a more permanent fixture into my car, ultimately replacing my stereo in favor of either Canola or media center for audio and, obviously, mapper for nav. Wondering how mapper interacts (if at all) with the media apps. For instance, if I have a song or video playing possibly even in full screen, and a waypoint is reached, will mapper alert me? Other carputer solutions I have reviewed will minimize your medai app and display the gps app and alert when an action is needing to be taken (ie. turn right here). Any info on this?

I will test out both of these this week while commuting to work, but thought I would ask the question anyways.

Thanks!

gnuite
2007-04-09, 16:09
Couple of questions: The voice alerts seemed to be pretty quite, but I did have my car stereo on, so that may have drown out the sound a bit. The nokia's main sound was up all the way, but I have other systems sounds muted. Which sound setting should I increase to get a louder alert?
As far as I know, the main system volume (i.e. the slider in the volume applet) is the only thing that affects flite's volume. If that's all the way up, you probably can't make flite any louder. Sorry. :(

Wondering how mapper interacts (if at all) with the media apps. For instance, if I have a song or video playing possibly even in full screen, and a waypoint is reached, will mapper alert me? Other carputer solutions I have reviewed will minimize your medai app and display the gps app and alert when an action is needing to be taken (ie. turn right here). Any info on this?
Maemo Mapper currently has no interaction with media apps (or other apps, for that matter). It will still give audible notices, though, and if your media app's volume is low enough, you should be able to hear them over the sound of your music. It'd be nice if Maemo Mapper could reduce the volume of or mute entirely the media apps, but there is no code in place to do this (and I haven't investigated whether or not it is possible).

rhouge
2007-05-02, 13:22
Update: I installed Canola and this issue came up again, not able to generate directions. I will clear the cache with the method mentioned above. Does anyone else have this issue? I hope that once I have all of my prgrams installed (yeah, right) this will subside.

I also noticed something else about the "generate directions" dialog box: It seems to remember my previous entries. When I double click on it to tell it 'yes, I want to go there again' nothing happens. How do I get the old address to become active again?

gnuite
2007-05-02, 16:16
I also noticed something else about the "generate directions" dialog box: It seems to remember my previous entries. When I double click on it to tell it 'yes, I want to go there again' nothing happens. How do I get the old address to become active again?
This is a byproduct of the (horrible!) way hildon handles auto-complete for text fields. Auto-complete is a standard GTK feature, but hildon doesn't seem to allow you to use the stylus to select an auto-complete entry. Unfortunately, you have to use the D-Pad (up/down buttons, center to select).

ilia
2007-05-02, 19:34
I'm getting "Error: An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the driving directions - are the src and destination valid?" using the gpx web service (http://gnuite.com:8080/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi)

source: Toronto ontario canada
destination: 4301 harewood rd ne washington dc

This works fine in google maps.

gnuite
2007-05-02, 20:49
I'm getting "Error: An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the driving directions - are the src and destination valid?" using the gpx web service (http://gnuite.com:8080/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi)
Looks like Google changed their HTML interface again... I'll fix it as soon as I can. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, this will also affect Maemo Mapper's in-program route downloading.

gnuite
2007-05-02, 20:57
Looks like Google changed their HTML interface again... I'll fix it as soon as I can. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, this will also affect Maemo Mapper's in-program route downloading.
Fixed. It was a pretty easy fix, but it looks like they may have changed a lot of the code. Please let me know if you notice anything out-of-the-ordinary with the results.

(Note that you shouldn't have to download a new version of Maemo Mapper - the fix was made in the GPX Driving Directions web service.)

ilia
2007-05-02, 21:42
are you planning to open source the gpx web service?

ilia
2007-05-02, 21:45
Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 44308 in /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi on line 336

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi:336) in /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi on line 448

hawkfanz
2007-05-03, 00:19
Mapper won't download maps for me anymore for some reason. I have my gps on and I click on one of my POIs then go to download route through the POI option. After doing all of this it's saying "Could not generat directions. Make sure your source and destination are valid." They should both be valid since they're both long/lat point in an areas no more than 3 miles from each other. Any ideas?

gnuite
2007-05-03, 14:18
Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 44308 in /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi on line 336

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi:336) in /www/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi on line 448
Um... yeah... woops... Fix wasn't as simple as I thought...

It should work now, though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

gnuite
2007-05-03, 14:20
Mapper won't download maps for me anymore for some reason. I have my gps on and I click on one of my POIs then go to download route through the POI option. After doing all of this it's saying "Could not generat directions. Make sure your source and destination are valid." They should both be valid since they're both long/lat point in an areas no more than 3 miles from each other. Any ideas?
Are you saying that you can't download maps or that you can't download routes? The latter is understandable - the problem has since been fixed. I haven't heard of any problems with downloading maps, though...

gnuite
2007-05-03, 14:23
are you planning to open source the gpx web service?
Unfortunately, I can't be sure of the legality of that move. I will say that I wrote it using information I gathered from the internet, so it should be possible to reproduce the work.

rhouge
2007-05-03, 18:51
This is a byproduct of the (horrible!) way hildon handles auto-complete for text fields. Auto-complete is a standard GTK feature, but hildon doesn't seem to allow you to use the stylus to select an auto-complete entry. Unfortunately, you have to use the D-Pad (up/down buttons, center to select).

Awesome...this is much better than retyping. Also the fix you did with the gpx interface is working for me.

Thanks again!!

hawkfanz
2007-05-03, 19:32
Works perfectly now! Thanks! Do you get paid for this gnuite? Your program is too good and you're too good at answering questions for not getting paid!

rhouge
2007-05-03, 22:52
UPDATE: I did notice that the written directions (and spoken if using flite) is getting tryncated after so many characters. Probably related to the reformat mentioned earlier in this thread.

gnuite
2007-05-04, 15:24
Works perfectly now! Thanks! Do you get paid for this gnuite? Your program is too good and you're too good at answering questions for not getting paid!
Ha, no, I don't get paid other than the satisfaction I get from contributing to free open source software. :)

I do have Paypal donation set up, though, if you're interested in contributing. It's on the Maemo Mapper homepage:
http://www.gnuite.com/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

gnuite
2007-05-04, 15:25
UPDATE: I did notice that the written directions (and spoken if using flite) is getting tryncated after so many characters. Probably related to the reformat mentioned earlier in this thread.
You're right - the "Go XXX kilometers" distance indications were getting truncated to just "Go", which (although motivating) isn't very informative. :)

It should be fixed now.