PDA

View Full Version : Can I stop checking for updates I don't want?

megoodsen
2010-06-10, 18:39
Every few days I get the flashing icon telling me there are updates for facebook and other stuff. (I've done the PR1.2 unfortunately).

I keep ignoring it but soon enough it's back. I can't seem to find a setting to do anything about it.

Is there a way to stop it for these things I don't want?

Creamy Goodness
2010-06-10, 18:46
Well if it's an update I suggest you install it. If it's something you don't want, uninstall it. You shouldn't be in a situation where running old versions of things is beneficial.

nosa101
2010-06-10, 18:48
Disable the repo?

Updates for what facebook thing?

acvetkov
2010-06-10, 18:49
one reason why you don`t want bugfixes and stability:confused:
have fun :)
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

MiK546
2010-06-10, 18:54
I think the best solution would be just updating (why would you want to keep using old version). If you have extras-testing or/and -devel in use and you don't want to update from them just disable them.

snowman
2010-06-10, 18:55
on a related note..i dont like Application Manager connecting automatically to check for updates when i connect to my data connection..it eats up like 10 MBs easily checking for updates..i have limited data on my plan..so i would rather have the Application Manager check for updates when i want it to..not whenever it feels like it...any ideas? this is also what the OP might be looking for

megoodsen
2010-06-10, 19:01
on a related note..i dont like Application Manager connecting automatically to check for updates when i connect to my data connection..it eats up like 10 MBs easily checking for updates..i have limited data on my plan..so i would rather have the Application Manager check for updates when i want it to..not whenever it feels like it...any ideas? this is also what the OP might be looking for

Yeah that would be ideal.

The apps, none of which I'm interested (right now) in are:
Amazon installer
AP News installer
Documents to go installer
Facebook installer
Foreca installer
tutorial-home-applet

simpu
2010-06-10, 19:04
Yeah that would be ideal.

The apps, none of which I'm interested (right now) in are:
Amazon installer
AP News installer
Documents to go installer
Facebook installer
Foreca installer
tutorial-home-applet

just uninstall them thru the app-manager

Bingley Joe
2010-06-10, 19:28
I can see how the ability to exclude some apps from updating could be useful:

In my case I have one particular app installed that I like quite a bit in its current state, and have not encountered any bugs in my usage. Meanwhile, the developer of this app is currently undertaking some dramatic re-writes to the UI that I'm not particularly fond of (absolutely their prerogative to do so), and as a result I have no interest in updating at this point and losing the version of the app that I like.

However, I'm also using a number of other apps which are in need of updates from time to time, so I have no interest in disabling the Extras repos or the automatic update checks since I find that feature useful..

IMO it would be great to be able to simply long-press an app and tell App Manager to ignore updates. An item called "reset ignored updates" could be added to the App Manager menu.

Venemo
2010-06-10, 19:32
This page (http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo#Disabling_Auto_Updates_Check) will tell you how to disable automatic checking.

snowman
2010-06-10, 19:47
This page (http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo#Disabling_Auto_Updates_Check) will tell you how to disable automatic checking.

thanks..but what is the name of that gconf file..want to edit that file

devu
2010-06-10, 20:01
Hmm guys, but this question here actually make sense to me. I'd like to update any software, but for example: After I get PR 1.2 and successfully installed MyPaint, 4 days later there is an update available. This time keep telling me "unable to update". Same PR, I didn't actually mes up anything uninstalled or installed anything new. But this update reminder keep popping up every day. Same situation with 2 plug-ins for conversation. I was trying to disable repos in many different variations, nothing helped really. I've received 3 more today and those was successfully updated.

4 months ago when I bought my N900 everything was clear with App manager. Any of installation or update never failed. Now seems to me like somebody needs to really take care about all this mess and package inconsistency over there.

megoodsen
2010-06-10, 20:57

Can that be done with apps as came with the fone or do I need to download something?

michaaa62
2010-06-10, 21:12
You will need to install rootsh through application manager.
Then you will need some basic editor to edit the file, may that be in the terminal-editors like nano, vi etc. or leafpad (install it and start it from a terminal as root).

Venemo
2010-06-10, 21:18
thanks..but what is the name of that gconf file..want to edit that file

Can that be done with apps as came with the fone or do I need to download something?

Okay, for both of you:

You'll need some way of accessing the rootfs (the file system on which system files are stored).

The two simplest things:

Install rootsh and Midnight Commander (mc) on the N900
EASIER: Install OpenSSH on the N900 and use WinSCP

As the article says, go to /var/lib/gconf/apps/hildon/update-notifier

There is a single XML file there which you need to edit.
Mine is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="blink-after" mtime="1274823819" type="int" value="10000000"/>
<entry name="check_interval" mtime="1274791864" type="int" value="10000000"/>
</gconf>

Hope this helps!

pelago
2010-06-10, 21:27
Surely you should used gconftool to do this, not edit the XML directly?

Venemo
2010-06-10, 22:10

Well, I don't know what gconf or gconftool is. :(
But I found the XML with the help of the wiki article and I was able to edit it.

I would be glad if you could shed some more light on the subject! :)

snowman
2010-06-16, 12:37

help please

Rob1n
2010-06-16, 12:51
Well, I don't know what gconf or gconftool is. :(
But I found the XML with the help of the wiki article and I was able to edit it.

I would be glad if you could shed some more light on the subject! :)

gconf is the configuration system for GTK, and gconftool (or gconftool-2) is the application used to interact with this system. You can get help on gconftool-2 by running "gconftool-2 --help".

To modify the update frequency, the command to use is:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval --type=int 10000000

Similarly to set the blink-after value (though I don't think that needs setting).

Oh, and you can run all this as the normal user, no need to be root.

Venemo
2010-06-16, 12:56
gconf is the configuration system for GTK, and gconftool (or gconftool-2) is the application used to interact with this system. You can get help on gconftool-2 by running "gconftool-2 --help".

gconftool-2 --set /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval --type=int 10000000

Similarly to set the blink-after value (though I don't think that needs setting).

Okay.
And what's the problem with editing the XML directly?

pelago
2010-06-16, 13:21
I expect gconftool will sanity check the input. Editing the XML directly and missing out a / or a > etc. will cause all sorts of problems. Plus you need to be root to edit that XML file, which is more risky in general.

Rob1n
2010-06-16, 13:35
I expect gconftool will sanity check the input. Editing the XML directly and missing out a / or a > etc. will cause all sorts of problems. Plus you need to be root to edit that XML file, which is more risky in general.

Presumably it also handles conflicts, cache flushes, notification of changes, etc.

snowman
2010-06-16, 20:45

how do i verify these changes took place..as in view this xml file..thanks..i entered the command into xterm but no indication it did anything

Rob1n
2010-06-17, 00:03
how do i verify these changes took place..as in view this xml file..thanks..i entered the command into xterm but no indication it did anything

You can check it using gconftool as well:

gconftool-2 --get /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval