PDA

View Full Version : Just Got N800 -> Now Some Advice Please

ArchiMark
2007-04-03, 19:36
Well...just came back from Fry's with

1) New N800

2) 4GB Transcend 150x SD card

3) Linksys Travel Router (Wireless-G #WTR54GS)....so that I can have WiFi connection to our ethernet network at work...

So, per the 'Get Started' instructions, I put in the battery, plugged in AC adapter and I'm charging up battery...while I'm waiting have a few questions please....

Charging Battery

Since I don't see any charging indicator light on N800 and screen is very dim right now (although I can barely make out that it says 'Charging'...how do I know when N800 is fully charged and ready to start using?? Will it say 'Charged' or something like that??

Internal/External Memory Cards

Noticed that 'Get Started' instructions only refers to putting in a memory card in the 'external slot'. No mention of the 'internal slot next to the battery.

Is there any difference functionally between the two card slots other than the obvious location/access aspect??

So wondering should I put the 128MB card that came with N800 in the internal slot and my new 4GB card in the external slot??

Also, can I put a larger capacity card in the internal slot and would that just give me more storage capacity or does it increase the RAM??

Next Steps - Firmware Update, Etc

After I get started up and see that N800 works OK...would you recommend that I install the new firmware update now before I start messing around with N800 further (installing other apps, etc..) ???

Any other things you'd recommend I do now to improve functionality, user experience, etc???

FWIW, I've been using several Zaurii (7xx, 8xx, 3xxx) before getting N800 so pretty familiar/comfortable with basic Linux stuff....

Been reading quite a bit on these forums and found them extremely helpful so far!

Appreciate any and all input!

Thanks,

Mark

phi
2007-04-03, 19:42
on my 770 it says "Battery Full" when its done charging.

if you've got a windows machine handy, the firmware update is pretty effortless. just download the update software from nokia.

ArchiMark
2007-04-03, 19:57
on my 770 it says "Battery Full" when its done charging.

if you've got a windows machine handy, the firmware update is pretty effortless. just download the update software from nokia.

Thanks for your help, phi!...

Yes, have my work tabletPC next to me....

;)

Anybody have input on my other questions for me???

Thanks!

TA-t3
2007-04-03, 20:11
Charging Battery

It should be visible. In any case you can switch it on after a while (but it's a good idea to give it some time the first time. It should be full by some 3 hours or so, but it's usable before that.)

The slots are quite similar, although IIRC the external slot can also handle low-voltage cards, with an updated kernel I think. IIRC. In any case this difference is rather obscure and won't matter much for most people. I use the internal slot as "permanent" storage (i.e. like an internal harddisk) while I keep interchanging the card in the external slot (SD cards from my camera, my Palm PDA, my digital recorder etc.)

And no, none of the slots will give you more RAM.. but it makes sense (if you have room on the card) to use the internal card for swap space, which extends virtual memory (swap memory isn't as fast as RAM but it still gives your applications more working space). This can be enabled in the control panel. I for one haven't done this yet, simply because I've never run out of RAM even with multiple applications running at the same time. But I do keep my backups there (there's a tool in the menu). So for me the card that came with the N800 is ok as internal card.

I recommend the update. Definitely. It get rids of an automatic reboot problem, it seems to be even better for battery usage, and finally it seems to use less memory (but this last one is something that appeared to me today, I haven't done enough testing to verify it).

Any other things you'd recommend I do now to improve functionality, user experience, etc???

There is a very nice little tool called 'simple-launcher' which is great. Just add your favourite apps and you can launch them directly from the screen instead of walking through the menues. There's a shortlist of small problems with it though, but you can find all about it in two different threads. Just search for simple-launcher in the forum search and you'll find it.

FWIW, I've been using several Zaurii (7xx, 8xx, 3xxx) before getting N800 so pretty familiar/comfortable with basic Linux stuff....

If so, then I guess installing osso-xterm is the next step! :)
I use the version in repository http://maemo-hackers.org/apt bora main

timsamoff
2007-04-03, 20:19
Mark,

Congratulations! ;)

As someone who has had one for a few weeks now, I might offer some help...

Since I don't see any charging indicator light on N800 and screen is very dim right now (although I can barely make out that it says 'Charging'...how do I know when N800 is fully charged and ready to start using?? Will it say 'Charged' or something like that??

Be patient. It will tell you.

Noticed that 'Get Started' instructions only refers to putting in a memory card in the 'external slot'. No mention of the 'internal slot next to the battery.

Is there any difference functionally between the two card slots other than the obvious location/access aspect??

So wondering should I put the 128MB card that came with N800 in the internal slot and my new 4GB card in the external slot??

Also, can I put a larger capacity card in the internal slot and would that just give me more storage capacity or does it increase the RAM??

There are two main differences:

1. You can't remove/replace the internal card when the N800 is ON.
2. You can use the internal card for up to 128MB virtual memory.

Use them as you wish for file storage, though. (One thing to note is that I have been having issues (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5604) with using a 4GB card in the external slot.)

After I get started up and see that N800 works OK...would you recommend that I install the new firmware update now before I start messing around with N800 further (installing other apps, etc..) ???

Yes, definitely! Not only does the new firmware offer many improvements (and accessibility to some new apps), but currently, everytime you update the firmware, it will delete all of your installed 3rd party apps and you'll have to install them all over again.

-T.

ArchiMark
2007-04-03, 21:03
Thanks for your help, TA-t3 & Tim!!

Every bit helps me understand the N800 better....

Meanwhile, got N800 connected to net using the Linksys Router at work...very nice!!!!

So, now to do firmware update, do I need to do that with computer or can I do it by copying firmware file onto SD card and install from there???

How do I edit repositories list, where is it located??

Also, just be sure, 128MB SD card is max for internal slot???

Thanks,

Mark

Texrat
2007-04-03, 21:18
Use the usb cable connected to your computer to do the upgrade. There is a Windows installer you can download to your PC from the N800 product page. Once it's installed, turn off your device, plug the usb cable in and power on while pressing the "home" button on the keypad. You will see an ugly usb icon in the upper right of the tablet screen. Run the installer app and follow the prompts.

Repositories are edited via the Application Manager. You will need to know some critical parameters to add new ones, which you obtain from the software provider. Alternatively, if you use the .install feature of some new apps, it will add the necessary repositories for you.

And no, 128 is not the max-- 4 gig currently is standard.

ArchiMark
2007-04-03, 22:02
Use the usb cable connected to your computer to do the upgrade. There is a Windows installer you can download to your PC from the N800 product page. Once it's installed, turn off your device, plug the usb cable in and power on while pressing the "home" button on the keypad. You will see an ugly usb icon in the upper right of the tablet screen. Run the installer app and follow the prompts.

Repositories are edited via the Application Manager. You will need to know some critical parameters to add new ones, which you obtain from the software provider. Alternatively, if you use the .install feature of some new apps, it will add the necessary repositories for you.

And no, 128 is not the max-- 4 gig currently is standard.
Thanks, Texrat for your help!

Just updated firmware!

Posting from my N800!

Onward and upward!............

YoDude
2007-04-03, 23:19
After using the browser a bit you may wish there was a way to change the default 7pt font size so that Opera always opens with something more readable... say 11 or 12 pts.

You can by editing the Opera ini file. But first you must gain root access. A well written tutoral can be found here >> http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot
This will also answer your questions about repositories. :)

After you've gained root access you can read Karel Jansens tip on font size found here >> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5056&highlight=opera+font

ArchiMark
2007-04-04, 00:10
After using the browser a bit you may wish there was a way to change the default 7pt font size so that Opera always opens with something more readable... say 11 or 12 pts.

You can by editing the Opera ini file. But first you must gain root access. A well written tutoral can be found here >> http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot
This will also answer your questions about repositories. :)

After you've gained root access you can read Karel Jansens tip on font size found here >> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5056&highlight=opera+font

YoDude, you must have been reading my mind!!... I was just searching how to get root access and voila! you answered my question....

You guys are great!!

:)

TA-t3
2007-04-04, 11:57
1. You can't remove/replace the internal card when the N800 is ON.
Sure you can! :)
As soon as you remove the battery cover the internal card is unmounted (just as when you open the flip over the external card) and you can safely remove it. You can check this in an xterm: Enter 'mount' and see that it is mounted (it's mmc2). Remove the cover, enter the 'mount' command again. mmc2 is gone. Replace the cover, the card is mounted again.
(The latter means that you can also insert a card into the internal slot when the N800 is on, I kept doing that all the time in the beginning when I had that problem where the N800 refused to boot with the card installed.)