b-man
2010-06-17, 00:52
Totally awesome - I'm really looking forward to the release :D

Milhouse
2010-06-17, 02:33
"Bananas and Pears"? :confused:

gviterbo
2010-06-17, 02:46
Why did they even title it "Bananas and Pears"? Will the over-all UX be similar to holding and looking at Bananas and Pears? Weird, but I'm still excited for it.

w00t
2010-06-17, 02:49

Probably an obfuscation thing, or simply: lacking a better title for it yet.

quipper8
2010-06-17, 03:04

maybe two non apple fruits

z3phyr
2010-06-17, 03:06

lol good one

fatalsaint
2010-06-17, 03:09

That made me chuckle.

scifi.guy
2010-06-17, 03:43
Gr8 find Reggie.

IMO the UI seems to be a continuation of Maemo with some improvements (like Portrait mode support, Quick Launcher etc). Eager to see some screenshots :)

YoDude
2010-06-17, 03:44
Why did they even title it "Bananas and Pears"? Will the over-all UX be similar to holding and looking at Bananas and Pears? Weird, but I'm still excited for it.

I was thinking like "apples and oranges" but that makes no sense either since the page is what to expect and not a comparison.

Isn't there a rhyming slang in the UK where the last word in this type of word coupling rhymes with the actual word that was intended.

For instance someone would say "Since the lift was out, I had to use the bannanas and pairs". When they mean "I had to use the stairs."

Come to think of it "Apples and Pairs" is pro'ly the correct word coupling used for stairs, it was just a wild guess on my part anyway. :D

It more than likely was used as a place holder until a suitable title that doesn't confuse this draft with another document is found.

In any event, I thought someone would remark about how well crafted this draft page was before I saw anyone picking nits or reading more into it then what it actualy is. :)

I found that this WiKi page flows very well, maintains the same writing style through out, follows a logical outline, and over all; does a very good job describing something that can not even be held in the hand yet.

I caught myself flicking horizontally and vertically with my finger on my desktop as I read along. :D

Good job Noel!

Thanks for the heads up Reggie.

Milhouse
2010-06-17, 07:15
Isn't there a rhyming slang in the UK where the last word in this type of word coupling rhymes with the actual word that was intended.

For instance someone would say "Since the lift was out, I had to use the bannanas and pairs". When they mean "I had to use the stairs."

Come to think of it "Apples and Pairs" is pro'ly the correct word coupling used for stairs, it was just a wild guess on my part anyway. :D

Yes, "Going up the apples and pears" would mean going up the stairs.

There is a song by The Monkees which mentions "apples, peaches, bananas and pears" (in fact, that is its title) - maybe someone in the Handheld UI team is a Monkees fan, and peaches refer to Google? :)

Or maybe it is just a place holder! :)

Lullen
2010-06-17, 08:23
No its gone! Your evil quil! :)

Patola
2010-06-17, 08:26
Why the culture of secrecy? Why has the page been deleted? Come on... This is getting ridiculous.

afaq
2010-06-17, 08:30
Sigh.
Did anyone save the UI images to share with us poor folks?

Chrome
2010-06-17, 08:32
oh sadly it's gone.. :( anyone managed to take a screenshot?

Dexter1759
2010-06-17, 08:42
Guessing it wasn't up long enough to be cached by Google!

boudjere
2010-06-17, 08:49
So, now Nokia copies this st*pid iPolitics of "leaking" stuff ;)?

stickymick
2010-06-17, 08:51
Yep getting the same "Article deleted".

Maybe the Apples and Bananas was meant as a dig at the rivals. Not sure where the Bananas would come in, but I'm working on it.

zymo
2010-06-17, 08:57
Sorry guys, but there weren't any Images of the UI. Just a description of what it would look like. But anyway, why delete a description?

pelago
2010-06-17, 08:58
If you Google for cache:http://wiki.meego.com/BananasandPears you will find the Google cached version. Although watch out, as Google may change their cache to the deleted version soon.

pelago
2010-06-17, 09:07
Reading through the doc, I'm wondering exactly how much this is about the open-source MeeGo Reference Handset UX and how much it is about the Nokia closed-source MeeGo-Harmattan UX. This is because the doc refers to Ovi more than once, which obviously is a Nokia-only thing.

afaq
2010-06-17, 09:15
These things stuck out for me.

Switcher
Tasks are shown in the order they were opened, from left to right. Every time a new task is opened, it pushes the previous task panels to the left and adds its thumbnail view to the far right.

Users can use a pinch multi-touch motion to change the switcher into an overview mode. By pinching in, thumbnails move into a grid display. The grid can scale up to a 3x3 version, thereafter the switcher then starts to create new pages. Pinching out, while in the grid mode, changes the view back to larger stacked mode.

Reminds me of N8's horizontal stack view for multi tasking minus the pinch to grid function. Not sure how I feel about swiping to get to the window i want. However if you can default this view to grid - then i like :D

UI Feedback
You can use tactile feedback alone, when it is appropriate to confirm the user’s action, but a visual confirmation message is too much. For example, connecting the charger and the device starting to charge (as opposed to not starting, due to a wrong charger type, for example). In this case, haptic feedback can also be used because the user is in physical contact with the charger connector and the device.

This is just great. Makes sense doesnt it? I'm also quite annoyed that a message tells me everytime I unplug my phone from the charger that I should pull it out of the wall to save power. Ok. I get it.

Text Input
MeeGo provides support to both virtual and hardware keyboards

Good. I need me a physical keyboard.

stickymick
2010-06-17, 09:17
Gonna read through it later. I got the Google cached page saved as an HTML doc.

jsa
2010-06-17, 09:27
Reading through the doc, I'm wondering exactly how much this is about the open-source MeeGo Reference Handset UX and how much it is about the Nokia closed-source MeeGo-Harmattan UX. This is because the doc refers to Ovi more than once, which obviously is a Nokia-only thing.

I think the most of the principles it describes are enabled by the UX framework and thus should be applicable to the reference implementation too. Ovi stuff is obviously Nokia only. Very Maemo-ish, as was expected. Extendable, IM presence, widget area, multitasking, etc. Nice to see global search added.

adancau
2010-06-17, 09:30
Page gone.. So much for transparency... :)

johnel
2010-06-17, 09:31
Nokia have done some great stuff with open source - Qt, development tools and potenetially MeeGo - a new os for your computer/phone.

However, the secrecy sorrounding their developments is beginning to p*** me off!

The MeeGo UX is really exciting but there is very little information about it.

If Nokia are paranoid about how the competition is going to react then why open-source the developments?

To be honest I'm growing a bit skeptical about MeeGo.

juise-
2010-06-17, 09:46
If Nokia are paranoid about how the competition is going to react then why open-source the developments?

Well, open development process and open sourcing a piece of software once it's released, are two different things.

It seems Nokia is going for the latter mostly.

sjgadsby
2010-06-17, 10:24
Why did they even title it "Bananas and Pears"?

The Bananas and Pears seem much better than that cherry we were served earlier, so I'm happy.

sevla
2010-06-17, 12:16
Text Input

MeeGo provides support to both virtual and hardware keyboards.

The virtual keyboard is invoked automatically when an input field is in focus (that is when the user taps an input field). The Title Bar and Status disappear to optimize screen real estate. It has a portrait and landscape layout, opening according to the orientation it is being called from. If the user rotates the device, the layout is smoothly changed according to the new orientation.

yay for portrait mode keyboard?

chemist
2010-06-17, 13:11
send me a PM if the google cache disappears, have the page saved as wiki entry and CC makes it last forever

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=3951#post3951

fatalsaint
2010-06-17, 13:16
This is getting ******ed.

Someone makes a forum post about UI screenshots in the bugs.meego website... magically all the bugs get marked "private".

Someone makes a forum post about a new Wiki article... article deleted.

I'm sorry.. but this completely anti-everything we've been told about MeeGo IMHO.

ETA: Really? r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d is sensored?

Reggie
2010-06-17, 13:31
Looks like they are just delaying it until the formal announcement is made. The last log on the feed says: "Waiting for Handset UX day 1"

sjgadsby
2010-06-17, 13:31
Someone makes a forum post about UI screenshots in the bugs.meego website... magically all the bugs get marked "private".

Someone makes a forum post about a new Wiki article... article deleted.

I'm sorry.. but this completely anti-everything we've been told about MeeGo IMHO.

They need to save it all up for their big reveals, man. After those are done though, MeeGo will be all open, all the time.

That's what I'm told, anyway. I want to believe, but at this point I can't help feeling the allure of another undercover, direction-changing project culminating in another big reveal will be just too strong.

pelago
2010-06-17, 13:47
They need to save it all up for their big reveals, man. After those are done though, MeeGo will be all open, all the time.

That's what they've said, but I too wonder if that's how it really will be. I wouldn't be surprised if they open the 1.0 and 1.1 Handset UX, but then develop version 2.0 in private and do a future big reveal of that.

me2000
2010-06-17, 13:48
Meanwhile, Apple is absolutely slaughtering Nokia...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aWbtXE9BSzl8&pos=10

Its totally ironic that Nokia leaks something and then removes it in mid June, 2010 while Apple has so many orders for their new iPhone (an actual product) that it has overwhelmed the ordering system. As Jobs says "real artists ship".

sjgadsby
2010-06-17, 13:53
Meanwhile, Apple is absolutely slaughtering Nokia...

Let's try to keep that discussion in the "Let's talk Nokia stock!" thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56370).

Viipottaja
2010-06-17, 14:07
Perhaps Intel is also for a bit less openness at this stage. At any rate, I don't much care as long as they get it out fast (and as long as someone tells me step by step how to put it on my N900 :D).

tissot
2010-06-17, 14:15
Perhaps Intel is also for a bit less openness at this stage. At any rate, I don't much care as long as they get it out fast (and as long as someone tells me step by step how to put it on my N900 :D).

Same.
Couldn't really care less. I just wanna see the device rocking and out in Q4.

Chrome
2010-06-17, 14:16
Saved the whole page as PDF, just in case :D

sevla
2010-06-17, 14:18
Same.
Couldn't really care less. I just wanna see the device rocking and out in Q4.

lets hope that still happens..

b-man
2010-06-17, 14:26

The original document page is also mirrored at http://b-man.xceleo.org/doc/MeeGo_Handset_UX.htm :)

chemist
2010-06-17, 14:26

Why do you zip up a single pdf? Zips look some kind of dangerous to me in any case but more if a single file gets zipped up.

Chrome
2010-06-17, 14:31
Why do you zip up a single pdf? Zips look some kind of dangerous to me in any case but more if a single file gets zipped up.

PDF attachment limit is 19.5KB, so i had to zip it. Blame it on the forum designers :)

gabby131
2010-06-17, 14:37
i got a jail breaked iTouch and when i re-boot it, i see a pear with a bite instead of apple

pelago
2010-06-17, 15:08

I also see references to "debian packages" and Maemo. I expect this document originated from Nokia, possibly started back when Harmattan was planned to be released as Maemo 6.

pelago
2010-06-17, 16:00
A couple of things worth highlighting:
The filesystem hierarchy won't be visible to the user. Instead, tags will be used to separate/manage content. I assume this applies to both the File Manager (if it even has one) and File Open/File Save As dialogues. Of course, third party hierarchical file managers could be created.
If an app has a toolbar, rather strangely this will appear at the top of the window in landscape and at the bottom in portrait. I'm not sure why both orientations don't have the toolbar in the same place.

w00t
2010-06-17, 16:15
A couple of things worth highlighting:
The filesystem hierarchy won't be visible to the user. Instead, tags will be used to separate/manage content. I assume this applies to both the File Manager (if it even has one) and File Open/File Save As dialogues. Of course, third party hierarchical file managers could be created.
If an app has a toolbar, rather strangely this will appear at the top of the window in landscape and at the bottom in portrait. I'm not sure why both orientations don't have the toolbar in the same place.

If you're like me at least, when you hold your phone landscape, you have thumbs from both hands to tap stuff at the top easier than at the bottom - just from the way I position my hands

OTOH, when holding portrait, hitting the top of the screen with thumbs is awkward.

It might make sense. Dunno.

cjp
2010-06-18, 15:41
Judging by that document, the MeeGo UX is GODLIKE and PERFECT.

Must resort to caps since I can't quite contain myself.

To me it feels like a good mixture of being modifyable, but still very user friendly. Especially appreciated the bit about how user input must be followed without any lag. :)

Kangal
2010-06-19, 04:27
Has anyone read the UI part fully?
What are your thoughts?

Banana&Pears includes a subliminal message: the first two letters make BP, I guess this is how they try to get into your head into not thinking about the oil dump!

riahc3
2010-06-19, 05:13
Man, Im impatient for the mobile internet device with phone functions from Nokia.

The N900 just seems now outdated :P

Texrat
2010-06-19, 05:46
/me starts accumulating material for "MeeGo Missteps" blog article...

ok, ok, just kidding. I think.

SD69
2010-06-19, 15:36
/me starts accumulating material for "MeeGo Missteps" blog article...

I think you may have already done so...

when you wrote the Maemo missteps article. you will probably be able to use that as a starting point. what percentage will change? 10%, 50%, ?

Texrat
2010-06-20, 03:43
I think you may have already done so...

when you wrote the Maemo missteps article. you will probably be able to use that as a starting point. what percentage will change? 10%, 50%, ?

Well, I was being pointlessly facetious I'll admit.

Right now I'd much rather focus on what MeeGo does right. For starters, the principals could take a break from automatic boilerplate defense of goofs, present and past. That doesn't go over well with the community members involved.

SD69
2010-06-20, 17:01
Well, I was being pointlessly facetious I'll admit.

So was I ;)

jackie_jagger
2010-06-20, 17:17
bring on MeeGo Mobile NOW !!

ScottishDuck
2010-06-20, 21:13
Well they said June. Assuming they are on schedule (try not to laugh), it should be with us soon.

tissot
2010-06-21, 07:37
Well they said June. Assuming they are on schedule (try not to laugh), it should be with us soon.

Don't mention the release dates.... you will jinx it. ;)

xuggs
2010-06-21, 07:55
So the community will bring MeeGo to N900? The UX I mean?

amebes
2010-06-21, 08:10
I sense a "Dave999's Meego Handheld UX release date speculation page featuring Texrat, LaughingStock, Dave999 and Chuck Norris as the A Team! Oh, and boobs, and Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris discussion thread." coming on... 10K+ surely!

pelago
2010-06-21, 09:07

Remember June is just when development goes into the open - it doesn't mean that it is actually fully functional straight away. But hopefully we'll at least be able to see what it looks like and how to develop for it.

scifi.guy
2010-06-21, 13:57
Has anyone noticed the pre-alpha MeeGo UI for tablets?

After looking at this video (for tablet UI), some of the details mentioned in the handset UI guidelines like taskbar, grid menu etc. can be visualized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeeQd-YNL0&feature=player_embedded

devu
2010-06-21, 14:46
Looks cool, but for sure more resources consuming stuff. I don't think N900 will handle as smooth as maemo. Or they have something different for mobiles...

xuggs
2010-06-21, 16:05
F*** I think i just wet myself. I hope this comes to N900.

jackie_jagger
2010-06-21, 16:16

After looking at this video (for tablet UI), some of the details mentioned in the handset UI guidelines like taskbar, grid menu etc. can be visualized.

I just saw that, came here to post about it and you beat me to it !! looks sweet and pretty much what I was expecting from a tablet !!

Widescreen, Multitouch, HD video playback, dynamic UI with widgets, Multitasking ! and most of all OPEN SOURCE !! just epic, can't wait for it, looking forward for the mobile UI to release soon !!

Cheers
Jackie

eitama
2010-06-21, 16:50

Wow, that looks so good (:

eitama
2010-06-21, 17:00
I can almost feel the pure link to the N900 in this paragraph :)

Applications can overwrite default changes. However, it is highly recommended that all Application provide both portrait and landscape mode. The main reason is the form factor of some available MeeGo devices. In a devices with a slide hardware Qwerty, the landscape experience becomes key, and somehow extended. Therefore, the user shouldn’t be forced to change orientation to complete a task. Playing a game is one of the few exceptions to this rules, as its experience flow does not require (in most cases) the use of any other application.

scifi.guy
2010-06-21, 17:02
At 1:07 into the video, I see Google Maps.

Please tell me Google (or someone) has been working on porting Google Maps to Qt/Meego.

javispedro
2010-06-21, 20:39
Because on landscape mode short toolbars are fitted into the title bar's empty space, while on portrait mode they appear under the window contents like in Fremantle.

As I was saying you can see quite a lot of this stuff in the MeeGoTouch demos...

Rauha
2010-06-22, 07:44
At 1:07 into the video, I see Google Maps.

Please tell me Google (or someone) has been working on porting Google Maps to Qt/Meego.

That's Google Earth, not Maps, and it has allways been Qt based.

crown77
2010-06-22, 08:11
looks really good i hope we will see it one day at our N900 Devices maybe this can put some Live back into the whole N900 Community and Development.

I would like to know what Device they used for there Demo. I guess this wasnt a N900 right?

jackie_jagger
2010-06-22, 10:30
hot news ---

MeeGo Handset UI should be out by June 30th !! awesome news, I can't wait !

!Source (http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/handset-version-meego-set-june-30-release/2010-06-21?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss)

craftyguy
2010-06-22, 10:43
hot news ---

!Source (http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/handset-version-meego-set-june-30-release/2010-06-21?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss)

well, if this is anything like the n900 launch, we should see the actual product in approx. 2-3 more months..

tso
2010-06-22, 11:48
huh? i thought google earth used wine to run on linux.

or is it that its using a QT based binary compiled for win32 and just wraps it with wine rather then bothering to recompile it for linux?

tissot
2010-06-22, 12:07
well, if this is anything like the n900 launch, we should see the actual product in approx. 2-3 more months..

Nokia World in September.

Rauha
2010-06-22, 12:18
huh? i thought google earth used wine to run on linux.

or is it that its using a QT based binary compiled for win32 and just wraps it with wine rather then bothering to recompile it for linux?
Don't know spesifics about Linux version (only used OS X and Windows versions), but at least according to Wikipedia, the Linux version is native now as well.

"Starting with the version 4 beta Google Earth functions under Linux, as a native port using the Qt-toolkit."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth

tso
2010-06-22, 12:56
ah, ok. i have not been paying attention it seems.

alienhead
2010-06-22, 20:57
Meego coming to handets(pre-aplha) on 30th June.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/nokia-pre-alpha-release-of-meego-for-handsets-coming-june-30th/

What do you think, are you excited?

jackie_jagger
2010-06-22, 21:01
a lil' late to the party, its already posted on the meego subforum here oh and yeah I'm excited !!

alienhead
2010-06-22, 21:11
Sorry about that, Moderator's please delete this thread.

scifi.guy
2010-06-22, 21:47

No, it IS Google Maps. I can't say whether it is official though. The icon looks different from the one in Symbian.

scifi.guy
2010-06-22, 21:56
hot news ---

Waiting for Chuck Norris to hijack this thread in 3..2..1 :)

Honestly, loved the waiting for PR1.2 threads.

gerbick
2010-06-23, 02:55
That preview for tablets has been making its rounds too.

But the UX for the handsets is gonna be different.

alienhead
2010-06-23, 03:00

But i look th UI, what say?

gerbick
2010-06-23, 04:05
Tablet UI != Handset UI

It's not the same.

jaeezzy
2010-06-23, 04:09
Hopefully it can be dual bootable. And I'm very excited too ;)

n900 lover
2010-06-23, 04:23

Same here!:D

jperez2009
2010-06-23, 04:27
I'd like to see a demo of the N900 running MeeGo because it gives me hope to see MeeGo on the N8x0. It's basically the next Mer...so just waiting for us older model users to have our time to shine again along with N900 owners.

Jesse~

jackie_jagger
2010-06-23, 05:18
Waiting for Chuck Norris to hijack this thread in 3..2..1 :)

Honestly, loved the waiting for PR1.2 threads.

haha, totally..that is one thing I really miss after PR1.2 came out !!

Cheers

Ayle
2010-06-23, 05:50
No, it IS Google Maps. I can't say whether it is official though. The icon looks different from the one in Symbian.

It is earth. The screenshot clearly shows it. It uses Maps informations but they are not the same...

fatalsaint
2010-06-23, 06:04
It is earth. The screenshot clearly shows it. It uses Maps informations but they are not the same...

Im not arguing but why is there two icons?... one for Google earth on the second to last row, and one for Google Maps on the bottom row.

felbutss
2010-06-23, 06:40

reallyyyyy

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20008466-260.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

at least apple give their products early. great marketing

The earliest iPhone 4 preorders were supposed to arrive Thursday, the first day the device is available to the general public. Earlier it was reported that some Apple customers have begun receiving notification that their iPhone 4 may arrive a day early, Wednesday. But some have clearly started arriving even earlier than that.

qgil
2010-06-23, 08:11
feltbuss, let me just say that you are comparing open source development (publishing of the Handset UX code during the MeeGo 1.1 development process (http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1)) with a commercial product launch.

Is your implicit suggestion that having a vendor selling MeeGo handsets few days after the Handset UX publishing would be 'good marketing'? In my eyes that would be a disaster for the credibility of MeeGo as an open platform for any device vendors.

Rauha
2010-06-23, 09:38
at least apple give their products early. great marketing
Actually it took Apple about 3 months to release new iPhone after showcasing the iOS 4, which would at least be somehwat comparable to Meego handset UX release.

tso
2010-06-23, 10:01
heck, apple would probably have loved to wait until the day of shipping to announce, if they didnt need a certification from FCC. And all those certifications are made publicly available, tho one can apply for a delay in publication.

Turkishflavor
2010-06-23, 10:03
the latest MEEGO-Version with GUI will come to N900 on June 30th 2010. :D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/nokia-pre-alpha-release-of-meego-for-handsets-coming-june-30th/

buurmas
2010-06-23, 12:13
BTW, just in case anyone missed qgil's explanation, it is here:
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=4042&postcount=16
The mistake was to publish that content in meego.com and at that point of time. The deletion was a fix to that mistake. Even if the page is cached or saved, now it is not in meego.com.

gerbick
2010-06-23, 12:31
read his "explanation", it still answers nothing at the moment.

NvyUs
2010-06-23, 13:14
does this mean handset UX is released tomorrow or day after end date?
http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1/1.0.80.8
click on expected handset features

nosa101
2010-06-23, 13:19
does this mean handset UX is released tomorrow or day after end date?
http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1/1.0.80.8
click on expected handset features

End date is the 30th

tso
2010-06-23, 13:21
interesting, it seems the browser will be fennec based, not webkit based.

or maybe i read it wrong, could it be that it will have fennec available from day one, alongside the built in webkit browser?

johnel
2010-06-23, 13:26
Bearing in mind this release will be "pre-Alpha" release!

I am setting my expectations that this release will be very, very buggy -e.g expect a lot of application crashes and minimal functioning apps (if there are any included).

The pertinent questions are:
How "open" this release be?
Will the full source code (minus closed components) be available?
Will the images and source be in a buildable state? (someone tried to build an image and failed - got sarky comments from some developers and help from others)

The development won't be considered open until someone from outside the project (e.g. not part of the "inner sanctum") can successfully build a bootable image.

Wait and see what happens in next few days.

sjgadsby
2010-06-23, 13:46
interesting, it seems the browser will be fennec based, not webkit based.

As I understand the plan, Harmattan-MeeGo will use Gecko for the web browser engine and Webkit for WRT.

See:
go1dfish's post in "Nokia Web Runtime developer questions" (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=443052#post443052)
Meego: Goodbye Mozilla, hello Webkit? (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47446)

qgil
2010-06-23, 14:36
The pertinent questions are:
How "open" this release be?
Will the full source code (minus closed components) be available?
Will the images and source be in a buildable state?

- The development release bringing the Handset UX to the light will be open in its integraity. From that day MeeGo Handset UX development moves to the open.

- Source code will be available.

- All MeeGo components need to be buildable in order to make it to trunk: http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Process

There have been problems with dependencies to components not public in the OBS but with the Handset UX out there are no reasons left to keep anything hidden in the OBS.

...boy
2010-06-23, 15:45
According to the Nokia peeps we spoke to, the N8 will be the last N-series to run on Nokia’s Symbian platform; all N-Series from here on will run MeeGo. This leaves Symbian (in its current version 3 and the future version 4) on Nokia’s X- and E-series devices, with the budget-conscious C-series making use of the existing Series 40 platform. The N9 will be the first MeeGo device, but with the N8 shipping at the end of Q3 or early Q4 it’s hard to say whether the N9 will see the inside of phone stores before the end of the year.

mokkey
2010-06-23, 16:59
http://www.nokian900applications.com/meego-pre-alpha-for-nokia-n900/

Already it is official, next June 30 Nokia will launch Pre-Alpha version of MeeGo for Nokia N900. Though this one is not MeeGo‘s definitive version, already we’ll can see some features of the user’s interface and some of the most important MeeGo functions.

http://www.nokian900applications.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/nokia-n900-meego.jpg

alienhead
2010-06-23, 17:02
A little late,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56861

Did the same mistake :p

vitamina
2010-06-23, 17:03
There are seven days ... more

mokkey
2010-06-23, 17:05
A little late,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56861

Did the same mistake :p

lol my bad

sjgadsby
2010-06-23, 17:09
The thread "Meego Pre-Alpha for Nokia N900 on June 30" (4 posts) has been merged into this thread.

Laughing Man
2010-06-23, 17:11

It'll be nice if we could switch or choose (of course not officially) the UI.

sjgadsby
2010-06-23, 17:13
The thread "Meego for handsets coming on 30th June" (15 posts) has been merged into this thread.

alienhead
2010-06-23, 17:14

Even if it is not, there is a way to dual boot, the NITDROID way.

tso
2010-06-23, 17:58
As I understand the plan, Harmattan-MeeGo will use Gecko for the web browser engine and Webkit for WRT.

See:
go1dfish's post in "Nokia Web Runtime developer questions" (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=443052#post443052)
Meego: Goodbye Mozilla, hello Webkit? (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47446)

seems a bit redundant.

sevla
2010-06-25, 21:33
I'm glad the Meego Handset experience is on track.

I don't think we'll see a Nokia mobile device in 2010 but at least we'll get Meego 1.1 and you'll be able to install that on other phones. I won't be surprised if some other company releases a Meego handset first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkzpdB97fg&feature=player_embedded#!

me2000
2010-06-27, 04:19
I wonder if HTC is going to release a Meego based phone. Android phones are selling like hotcakes now, but manufacturers must be a bit worried about some of the things that Google is doing.

linuxeventually
2010-06-27, 04:35
The Google cache is down now. It shouldn't have been deleted from the wiki in the first place. Certainly shouldn't have been reported as a take down notice from Google's cache. Forcing the community to mirror it is pretty ridiculous.

Next thing you know this forum will be simply gone.

So much for open and "transparent".

pelago
2010-06-27, 20:13
The Google cache is down now. It shouldn't have been deleted from the wiki in the first place. Certainly shouldn't have been reported as a take down notice from Google's cache.

To be fair, the Google cache is an automatic thing, and doesn't last forever. I doubt anyone did a "takedown" on it.

Dave999
2010-06-27, 20:34
I have read this thread but im not sure what to excpect of this release...

Descalzo
2010-06-28, 02:31

Here's an example screenshot (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/medium/2007/12/Windows-95-Screenshot-PlugPlay.jpg). Looks advanced.

HellFlyer
2010-06-28, 03:09
Here's an example screenshot (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/medium/2007/12/Windows-95-Screenshot-PlugPlay.jpg). Looks advanced.

no deeplinking please :D

pagesix1536
2010-06-28, 03:09

Are you kidding me. If that's what everyone is expecting the N900 to potentially run... talk about LAG CITY. There's no way the N900 would have the horsepower to run that smoothly. With Maemo 5 - 1.2 on it now, it's laggy with even one or two apps open and if the trackerd process decides it wants to have some of its own fun. Play a video...first 10-15 seconds is a wash... No way that interface and Meego would be any better on the N900.

HellFlyer
2010-06-28, 03:10
I wont expect too much since its a pre alphaa version but still I'm curious

sevla
2010-06-28, 13:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfkzp...ayer_embedded#

HellFlyer
2010-06-28, 17:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfkzp...ayer_embedded#

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

sevla
2010-06-28, 19:21
The URL contained a malformed video ID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkzpdB97fg&feature=player_embedded#

DonPIZI
2010-06-29, 11:08
I can´t wait for MeeGo ... I want to try it :)

mangal_sk8erboy
2010-06-29, 11:27
I just hope the frame rate and the usability is better than maemo. maemo is just too damn choppy and laggy and sometimes unresponsive!

kennibal
2010-06-29, 11:32
If tomorrow will be released, will its installation procedure be the same with the one done with Nitdroid?

kevinm2k
2010-06-29, 12:41
Just to join in on a debate from a few pages ago, that is definitely google maps not earth. Google Earth is on line 4 of the apps, Google Maps is on line 5.

Hopefully a port in the making!!

pelago
2010-06-29, 12:54
I just hope the frame rate and the usability is better than maemo. maemo is just too damn choppy and laggy and sometimes unresponsive!

You shouldn't be expecting a fully-polished system immediately, so don't be disappointed if if isn't smooth to start with.

cfh11
2010-06-29, 12:57
So if tomorrow is day one of the handset UX does that make today day zero? :p

vivainio
2010-06-29, 12:57
You shouldn't be expecting a fully-polished system immediately, so don't be disappointed if if isn't smooth to start with.

You shouldn't expect a "system" in the first place. Did anyone say this would be something for actual end users?

pelago
2010-06-29, 13:00
Did anyone say this would be something for actual end users?

Depends what you mean by "actual end users". I don't think 99% of Maemo users should install this, but it should be a bit more of a "system" than the code drop previously, which just had a terminal. This one should have a desktop and an application launcher etc.

tso
2010-06-29, 13:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkzpdB97fg&feature=player_embedded#

thats a pre-meego ui worked on by intel, not nokia. As such, i am unsure how relevant it is to nokia made handset ui for meego.

johnel
2010-06-29, 13:42
As long as we have the basics it give everyone (if you know what you are doing) a chance to try it out and see what needs done. Then start coding stuff.

Is this the release where everything is supposed to be open to other developers or will that be the release in October (v1.1)?

amebes
2010-06-29, 13:52

I thought N900 was being used as a development platform... does this not mean that it will be developed and tested using our hardware configuration?

sunwong
2010-06-29, 13:59
I thought N900 was being used as a development platform... does this not mean that it will be developed and tested using our hardware configuration?

Problem in Maemo 5 is not the n900 hardware, it is due to bad optimization, poor threading programming and lack of vsync.

sevla
2010-06-29, 14:03
thats a pre-meego ui worked on by intel, not nokia. As such, i am unsure how relevant it is to nokia made handset ui for meego.

What is being released this june is not nokia's interface. I think that's what people need to understand. It's the base handset experience interface.

It will look like whats in that video..

NvyUs
2010-06-29, 14:08
this is what is being released and difference between nokia meego based UX and the one released tomorrow by the MeeGo project

http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=2818&postcount=7

fatalsaint
2010-06-29, 14:12
this is what is being released and difference between nokia meego based UX and the one released tomorrow by the MeeGo project

http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=2818&postcount=7

Thanks for posting that.. I was going to respond with it as well.

That tells me the actual interface will be the same from what is released tomorrow and what Nokia will release when it's stable. The only difference is going to be in pre-loaded applications and Nokia's specific closed-source stuff.

tso
2010-06-29, 14:12
What is being released this june is not nokia's interface. I think that's what people need to understand. It's the base handset experience interface.

It will look like whats in that video..

the former i can figure, but what is the basis for the latter?

jsuggs
2010-06-29, 14:17
This probably just more of a personal nit-pick of mine, but I (think) I would rather install "the base handset experience" instead of the Nokia (or any other vendor customization) branded one. Mainly because I don't like the "branding" as it usually doesn't add any real value over the stock system.

That isn't to say that I don't understand the need/desire for a branded system, but it really ticks me off when there is a base [open] system (ex. Android) and several companies all create their separate forks of their "customization layer". You end up saying I like this feature of one system and another feature of a different system but there is no way to have them both installed together, so consumer/end-users have to make sacrifices/decisions instead of just getting the best overall experience.

So I *hope* that there aren't going to be awesome Nokia-only or Intel-only features, but that the best features from *all* parties in the MeeGo ecosystem are shared and easily ported across all of the different "experiences."

me2000
2010-06-29, 14:21
This probably just more of a personal nit-pick of mine, but I (think) I would rather install "the base handset experience" instead of the Nokia (or any other vendor customization) branded one. Mainly because I don't like the "branding" as it usually doesn't add any real value over the stock system.

That isn't to say that I don't understand the need/desire for a branded system, but it really ticks me off when there is a base [open] system (ex. Android) and several companies all create their separate forks of their "customization layer". You end up saying I like this feature of one system and another feature of a different system but there is no way to have them both installed together, so consumer/end-users have to make sacrifices/decisions instead of just getting the best overall experience.

So I *hope* that there aren't going to be awesome Nokia-only or Intel-only features, but that the best features from *all* parties in the MeeGo ecosystem are shared and easily ported across all of the different "experiences."

+1. Meego should be like Fedora... clean. Don't put a bunch of crap on the base install to "make it your own", Nokia. Deliver a solid OS with lots of available add ons and the rest will take care of itself.

Its time for Nokia to start shipping software. I can't wait to see this.

NvyUs
2010-06-29, 14:24
that would kill any prospect of any vendor picking up MeeGo and using it, they need to differentiate from each other and same time make money from there specific services otherwise it would all be pointless even for nokia.
by all means use vanilla version of MeeGo but personally i would rather have free sat nav, social networks and stores on my device after all we are paying for it with handset cost

eitama
2010-06-29, 14:26

Generally, I think you are right.
But there are always exceptions.
HTC Sense UI.

me2000
2010-06-29, 14:35
that would kill any prospect of any vendor picking up MeeGo and using it, they need to differentiate from each other and same time make money from there specific services otherwise it would all be pointless even for nokia.
by all means use vanilla version of MeeGo but personally i would rather have free sat nav, social networks and stores on my device after all we are paying for it with handset cost

Those apps should be in the base system. Nothing about them is Nokia centric. Just like you can run Open Office on any Linux distro... Fedora, SUSE, etc.

Android apps run on HTC and Motorola hardware equally well, or nearly so, depending on the UI.

BTW: if people expect Meego to be competitive, someone needs to get a non connected routing navigation app ie Navit working well.

sevla
2010-06-29, 14:40
Thanks for posting that.. I was going to respond with it as well.

That tells me the actual interface will be the same from what is released tomorrow and what Nokia will release when it's stable. The only difference is going to be in pre-loaded applications and Nokia's specific closed-source stuff.

I'm confused.. From Qgils post it sounded like Harmattan will have a different look and feel from the reference Meego handset interface.

Is that not the case?

the former i can figure, but what is the basis for the latter?

There were UI screenshots on bugzilla (before they took them down) and it looked like what was shown in the video I posted. Most of, if not all, of Meego's UI is based off Moblin. Just as in the Netbook interface, which looks almost exactly like Moblin 2.x, the reference Handset UI will be built from Moblin 2.2 Handset UI.

jsuggs
2010-06-29, 14:44
Generally, I think you are right.
But there are always exceptions.
HTC Sense UI.

Haven't been following Android as closely lately. But if HTC Sense UI isn't available on non-HTC phones, then you've pretty much proven my point.

If you end up only buying HTC phones because of Sense UI, then HTC becomes the "only game in town" and consumers end up loosing as there are no real competitors. [Yes, I see/understand the desire for HTC to want that]

In the case of MeeGo, (if) the proposition is to create a base operating system that can span multiple devices that gives you great functionality out of the box that hardware and software vendors can easily adapt to their needs. In the grand scheme of things, if it ends up only being a few power players calling all of the shots and keeping the best parts for themselves (ie the "Intel/Nokia experience") then why would any other parties invest their time/effort into MeeGo since they will start off with a huge disadvantage.

So my real point is that if these "vendor customizations/brandings" end up defining what MeeGo is/isn't then (to me) the entire point of MeeGo is (somewhat) lost since it won't be a platform used by multiple hardware vendors, it will just be a platform developed by the major players, but developed in isolation.

me2000
2010-06-29, 14:45
I'm confused.. From Qgils post it sounded like Harmattan will have a different look and feel from the reference Meego handset interface.

Is that not the case?

There were UI screenshots on bugzilla (before they took them down) and it looked like what was shown in the video I posted. Most of, if not all, of Meego's UI is based off Moblin. Just as in the Netbook interface, which looks almost exactly like Moblin 2.x, the reference Handset UI will be built from Moblin 2.2 Handset UI.

Like I said, I can't wait to see what ships.

pelago
2010-06-29, 14:48

Is that not the case?

Qgil said:
The MeeGo Handset UX announced by the TSG to go public this month basically consists of the MeeGo Touch Framework and a set of reference applications maintained by the MeeGo project.

The MeeGo based device announced by Nokia to go public on 2H2010 will have the software release codenamed Harmattan and a UX that basically consists of the MeeGo Touch Framework and a set of applications decided by Nokia.

To me that sounds like the main visible difference will be in the applications rather than the overall UI. Of course, Nokia might supply their own themes for the UI, but the general way it works sounds like it will be the same in the MeeGo project release and the Nokia release.

sevla
2010-06-29, 14:49
Haven't been following Android as closely lately. But if HTC Sense UI isn't available on non-HTC phones, then you've pretty much proven my point.

If you end up only buying HTC phones because of Sense UI, then HTC becomes the "only game in town" and consumers end up loosing as there are no real competitors. [Yes, I see/understand the desire for HTC to want that]

In the case of MeeGo, (if) the proposition is to create a base operating system that can span multiple devices that gives you great functionality out of the box that hardware and software vendors can easily adapt to their needs. In the grand scheme of things, if it ends up only being a few power players calling all of the shots and keeping the best parts for themselves (ie the "Intel/Nokia experience") then why would any other parties invest their time/effort into MeeGo since they will start off with a huge disadvantage.

So my real point is that if these "vendor customizations/brandings" end up defining what MeeGo is/isn't then (to me) the entire point of MeeGo is (somewhat) lost since it won't be a platform used by multiple hardware vendors, it will just be a platform developed by the major players, but developed in isolation.

From following the enhancements and bugs from Meego.com it seems like they are trying to get everything into the base OS. I think the only difference you'll see from vendors are applications that ship with a particular device (i.e. Nokia may ship with free satnav) and look and feel. I don't think you'll be missing base functionality if you decide to go with one vendor or another.

fatalsaint
2010-06-29, 14:55

Is that not the case?

To add to what Pelago said... to clarify how I read qgil:

MeeGo Trouch Framework == Actual UI (User Interface) for device

Reference Applications == Default Apps maintained/made by MeeGo dev's

Nokia Set of Applications == Nokia specific Applications maintained/made by Nokia.

The UI + Apps == UX (User Experience)

So Harmattan will have a (slightly) different "UX", but the same "UI"..

tso
2010-06-29, 15:15
one thing came to mind, didnt nokia during maemo consider the closed source software like the brower ui and the media player their way to make nokia maemo different from some potential other maemo?

heck, will we be seeing multiple branded devices where various bundled programs are different from whats found on other meego devices, and with the same problems we are seeing relations to long term maintenance?

if that will be the case i think i say thanks but no thanks.

ah, i see fatalsaint touched on that. Given that, color me worried as i already hold one device with a nokia logo on it that i would love seeing properly maintained rather then replaced in this consumerist rat race of ours.

bergie
2010-06-29, 15:25

I imagine the main thing you'd be missing out on is Ovi Store and all the DRMd stuff. Plus possibly some proprietary Nokia applications like Maps. But we'll see how it is when Harmattan is released.

Ovi Store I can pretty much live without, generally Extras has better software anyway :p

Added: Flash would also be a big thing you'd probably miss. But we'll see how the stock MeeGo Handheld UX looks like when the N900 port is done, as I guess "unsupported" means having only the open source parts.

vivainio
2010-06-29, 15:32

MeeGo Touch is the ui library (add-on over plain Qt). The "user interface" consists of lots of stuff in addition to that, including app launcher, homescreen, system status bars etc.

If you need to develop applications, you need the UI library. You probably won't need the homescreen or app launcher. Don't count on all of this being made available.

If you asked me, you don't need to wait for this release to develop applications. You can already develop meegotouch applications for your current N900, without flashing it. You could also distribute those apps to current "mainstream" n900 users.

fatalsaint
2010-06-29, 15:39
MeeGo Touch is the ui library (add-on over plain Qt). The "user interface" consists of lots of stuff in addition to that, including app launcher, homescreen, system status bars etc.

If you need to develop applications, you need the UI library. You probably won't need the homescreen or app launcher. Don't count on all of this being made available.

If you asked me, you don't need to wait for this release to develop applications. You can already develop meegotouch applications for your current N900, without flashing it. You could also distribute those apps to current "mainstream" n900 users.

So by your definition all we'll see tomorrow is modified QT libraries?

... That would suck. Bad.

vivainio
2010-06-29, 15:48

Well, you'll also have the set of reference applications, basing on Quim's post to meego.com.

w00t
2010-06-29, 15:57

... That would suck. Bad.

No, there will be reference applications I believe. Plus the actual desktop/everything else packaged up nicely and working I'd guess.

As for the MeeGo Touch library, I'd personally avoid it - more information/some discussion at http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=524

fatalsaint
2010-06-29, 16:07
No, there will be reference applications I believe. Plus the actual desktop/everything else packaged up nicely and working I'd guess.

As for the MeeGo Touch library, I'd personally avoid it - more information/some discussion at http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=524

Right, and I've seen that thread and I plan to avoid the M*.. but I was also under the impression we would see a desktop and an interface beyond just a few apps you launch from xterm as a "k, this is what the library looks like".

So I'm getting a bit of mixed signals here...

All we're really seeing tomorrow is a generic, non-descript desktop made for the sole purpose of showing the M* QT library which will be used in Nokia's Harmattan.. but the actual interface itself is nothing important?

Or does the interface we see tomorrow (if we see one? more confused..) included as part of the framework and we think Nokia will use that as well?

I had thought the MeeGo touch Framework would have included some basic things such as a desktop, launcher, basic user input, etc.. I was evidently incorrect in that.

w00t
2010-06-29, 16:19
Right, and I've seen that thread and I plan to avoid the M*.. but I was also under the impression we would see a desktop and an interface beyond just a few apps you launch from xterm as a "k, this is what the library looks like".

While I don't have any firm idea, I'm pretty sure there *will* be interface stuff. The netbook release didn't just include a bunch of applications and say "here, go run them", for example.

Or does the interface we see tomorrow (if we see one? more confused..) included as part of the framework and we think Nokia will use that as well?

From what has been said in the past, this is a reference only. Vendors (including Nokia) are free to ignore that to any extent they want, provided they keep API/ABI compatibility in the underlying libraries.

I had thought the MeeGo touch Framework would have included some basic things such as a desktop, launcher, basic user input, etc.. I was evidently incorrect in that.

From having looked at it, it does. (mcompositor, etc) - though of course, whether this is what will be demonstrated tomororw is anyone's guess.

I'm just going to stop bothering and speculating until tomorrow to be honest. It's too late to change anything, and too early to get worked up over it. If it turns out to be a flop, then I'll be the first lining up to point out how ridiculous it is. :)

tissot
2010-06-29, 16:22
To add to what Pelago said... to clarify how I read qgil:

Reference Applications == Default Apps maintained/made by MeeGo dev's

Nokia Set of Applications == Nokia specific Applications maintained/made by Nokia.

The UI + Apps == UX (User Experience)

So Harmattan will have a (slightly) different "UX", but the same "UI"..

Correct me if i'm wrong, but looking from here it looks like Nokia got much bigger part in handheld UX... that i guess isn't too big of a surprise. Thinking that Nokia must have been in the long way as Harmattan was going to be released in the end Q4 2010 like MeeGo handheld UX is now.
MeeGo 1.0 UI is based in GTK while MeeGo handheld UX is Qt. Leaked wikipedia page is only talking about OVI services and not mentioning anything about example AppUp. Compared to everything else MeeGo till now have been all Intel pretty much.

Both from the MeeGo bug page.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tissotti/AppletUI.jpg´
Something like the above looks exactly the same as we have seen on the harmattan example, widget gallery.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tissotti/Picture004.gif
Phone then looks exactly the same as moblin 2.1 phone UX.

sevla
2010-06-29, 16:32
Correct me if i'm wrong, but looking from here it looks like Nokia got much bigger part in handheld UX... that i guess isn't too big of a surprise. Thinking that Nokia must have been in the long way as Harmattan was going to be released in the end Q4 2010 like MeeGo handheld UX is now.
MeeGo 1.0 UI is based in GTK while MeeGo handheld UX is Qt. Leaked wikipedia page is only talking about OVI services and not mentioning anything about example AppUp. Compared to everything else MeeGo till now have been all Intel pretty much.

Both from the MeeGo bug page.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tissotti/AppletUI.jpg´
Something like the above looks exactly the same as we have seen on the harmattan example, widget gallery.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tissotti/Picture004.gif
Phone then looks exactly the same as moblin 2.1 phone UX.

Right.

And that's why i posted this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkzpdB97fg&feature=player_embedded#

The interface released tomorrow should be very similar to that.

vivainio
2010-06-29, 16:33
I'm just going to stop bothering and speculating until tomorrow to be honest. It's too late to change anything, and too early to get worked up over it. If it turns out to be a flop, then I'll be the first lining up to point out how ridiculous it is. :)

Right. I guess people who are asking whether it has better framerate than Maemo5 will be painfully disappointed (not because of FPS, but because they won't get anything even close to what Maemo5 is, i.e. a product). Or close to what Meego1.0 for netbooks is.

Instead of warming up the flasher tomorrow, you can orient yourself by running "apt-get install meegotouch-demos-widgetsgallery" on your n900 right now.

tissot
2010-06-29, 16:37
Sure, but that why i'am abit confused what that harmattan like picture is doing in the MeeGo handheld UX bug page then.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tissotti/maemo1.jpg

NvyUs
2010-06-29, 16:46
MeeGo Touch framework was originally Harmattan UI framework
there could be moblin 2.1 mobile influences like in that video but primarily i believe it will be more harmattan like but best we just wait 24 hours and see
EDIT i thought AAVA had there own UI created using Qt

w00t
2010-06-29, 16:49
Instead of warming up the flasher tomorrow, you can orient yourself by running "apt-get install meegotouch-demos-widgetsgallery" on your n900 right now.

I know what widgetsgallery (and the rest of DUI) is fairly well, though thanks for the hint.

I wasn't asking what is coming tomorrow, nor am I expecting a finished product. All I want is something I can experiment with and contribute to. And that is why I'll be warming up the flasher.

vivainio
2010-06-29, 16:54
I know what widgetsgallery (and the rest of DUI) is fairly well, though thanks for the hint.

Yeah, I wasn't talking to you specifically (more to the other people waiting to warm up the flasher and using this on their phones as a maemo5 replacement).

ScottishDuck
2010-06-29, 23:12
IT'S 12 MINUTES INTO JUNE 30th AND STILL NO MEEGO 1.1

DAMN NOKIA IS SLOW AS ALWAYS

eitama
2010-06-29, 23:21
Right.

And that's why i posted this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkzpdB97fg&feature=player_embedded#

The interface released tomorrow should be very similar to that.

I'm calling all those numbers NOW!!!!!

;)

irfun4ever
2010-06-29, 23:22
here 02:21 in istanbul and still no meego :P

of course it will not be released at 00:00

propabbly Meego handheld os will be available noon

scifi.guy
2010-06-29, 23:31
04:30 PM on 29th in US West Coast. PR1.2 was released around midnight here. So I would wait for another 7-8 hours.

w00t
2010-06-29, 23:36
Night time in Europe.

You're looking at another 9ish hours minimum I'd say.

maxximuscool
2010-06-29, 23:43
I would say.. Oh it's coming.. Oh wait.. it's coming... oh wait.. my bad it's not coming.. lol, Expect Delay as it happens

scifi.guy
2010-06-30, 00:09
Meego git repositories are getting updated as we speak. Lets wait for the formal announcement.

http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-handset-ux

Hmoobwarrior
2010-06-30, 00:18
hmmm waiting :p

tom047
2010-06-30, 02:43
12 12 pm in south australia and still no meego :P sometimes its horrible being 8-10 hours ahead of everyone else. actually..most of the time its horrible. the only time it comes in handy is xmas day! ahah ;)

Texrat
2010-06-30, 02:53
I guess this wasnt a N900 right?

Too big .

Odd_gunnic
2010-06-30, 02:57
I thought this might be a good idea for this OS or the next: Use the Maemo 6 canvas idea for calendar. Flick up, down, left or right to access the other months and pinch to zoom out and see the entire year

maxximuscool
2010-06-30, 03:06
Nokia expecting delay as it happened :)

lifenexus
2010-06-30, 03:11
Nokia expecting delay as it happened :)

Well this is meego. I doubt nokia will delay this. It's not even work time in Europe.

maxximuscool
2010-06-30, 03:20
Well this is meego. I doubt nokia will delay this. It's not even work time in Europe.

Lol I don't think MeeGo UX is going to be release by Nokia on the date though. I expecting delay like what usually happened by Nokia. Nokia always speak of the date and then slipped too many times. So I guess I'm not going to hold my breathe for this one though.

After all MeeGo is part NOKIA! and the other half is Intel. Intel will be working on their UX and Nokia working on its own as well. We might see Intel released it before Nokia

tom047
2010-06-30, 04:11
given the release date was announced two weeks ago, im leaning toards it actually being released today. not like theyve said 6 months in advance it will be out today.

vitamina
2010-06-30, 04:17
Meego git repositories are getting updated as we speak. Lets wait for the formal announcement.

http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-handset-ux

i think the update on repositories is over and something is there

gerbick
2010-06-30, 05:30
Where will the verbal update about what this will, and will not bring be made?

Turkishflavor
2010-06-30, 06:00
now we have the 30th June. where is MeeGo? :(

El Amir
2010-06-30, 06:02
now we have the 30th June. where is MeeGo? :(

It's only 7am here GMT +1 in London.
Give them *at least* a few hours :)

Jopp3
2010-06-30, 06:06
Yeah, doubt they'll have it out before lunch :P

nosa101
2010-06-30, 06:14
It 1 am here. Y'all are just the worst

Turkishflavor
2010-06-30, 06:20
It's 8am here, I'm just kidding, playing unpatiend :)
but i hope it comes today, and there won't be any delay :)

ossipena
2010-06-30, 06:45
Those apps should be in the base system.

so free sat nav to everyone, nokia is paying the bill?

crown77
2010-06-30, 06:57
i really hope it will come today feeling like to wait for PR 1.2 but with a greater hope that it just will be fine and working:)

ossipena
2010-06-30, 06:58
i really hope it will come today feeling like to wait for PR 1.2 but with a greater hope that it just will be fine and working:)

haven't seen such lying to self for a while :D

RRuo
2010-06-30, 07:00
so free sat nav to everyone, nokia is paying the bill?

http://www.nokia.fi/

If Nokia says so, why not ?

crown77
2010-06-30, 07:01
hey ossipena the hope dies at least;) i just dont want to belive that my N900 baby is now replaced by my Ipod Touch 2 Gen iOS 4 jb multitask forever ;)

benny1967
2010-06-30, 07:01
it'll not be the n9/harmattan/nokia-ui though, right? just the reference handset ui?

crown77
2010-06-30, 07:05
i guess its the reference handset ui too. will the Nokia Handset released from meego.com too or is this some special from Nokia for future Megoo Devices?

Chrome
2010-06-30, 07:07
it'll not be the n9/harmattan/nokia-ui though, right? just the reference handset ui?

MeeGo's UI and MeeGo-Harmattan's UI = The same (MeeGo touch framework)

What differs is the UX (UI+Apps).

ossipena
2010-06-30, 07:10
http://www.nokia.fi/

If Nokia says so, why not ?

so you don't understand what this whole meego is then?

e: I'll explain.

a) nokia offers free sat nav to everyone who buys hardware from nokia

b) meego can be installed freely to any hardware that is capable running it (arm + intel)

so:

c) nokia pays for the sat nav per every arm + intel processor sold, not per every nokia product sold...

crown77
2010-06-30, 07:21
But this would be a reason why the Nokia Meego Version wont have a Sat Navigation Programm are we sure that we get with Meego a good Navi Software?

daddeddad
2010-06-30, 07:27
so you don't understand what this whole meego is then?

e: I'll explain.

a) nokia offers free sat nav to everyone who buys hardware from nokia

b) meego can be installed freely to any hardware that is capable running it (arm + intel)

so:

c) nokia pays for the sat nav per every arm + intel processor sold, not per every nokia product sold...

No need for nokia to bundle satnav with meego. There are probably some parts that are installed only on nokiaphones such as satnav, nokiatunes and nokiahands.

ossipena
2010-06-30, 07:31
No need for nokia to bundle satnav with meego. There are probably some parts that are installed only on nokiaphones such as satnav, nokiatunes and nokiahands.

please read the post I replied in the first place.

Quindor
2010-06-30, 07:49
Reporting too :p, it's 09:48 here in the Netherlands! Awaiting to test, :cool: hopefully we can do so without the need to really flash our N900's.

Bijiont
2010-06-30, 07:56
I have my second N900 ready as well to test the UI out.

Just hope there isn't any delays much like PR1.2 ( Dead horse I know ).

Provided Meego is hack friendly I think there will be enough community backing to keep meego on the N900, officially supported or not.

lwa
2010-06-30, 07:57
I just wish they would hurry up...I'm getting sick of hitting refresh on this thread :P

Any idea who is releasing the touch ui? (not designed and programmed, just who is responsible for the launch day coordination) If its Nokia then you could presume it would be based on Helsinki time and would be in the next 5 hours... If its done by the Meego steering group and is based in US (or where ever they are based?) then it could be 15 hours still

kevinm2k
2010-06-30, 08:02
Just so I can understand, what are we actually expecting this release to contain?

Will it be a full mobile operating system, including SMS, phone etc, or is it just going to be very basic.

Would a user who uses the n900 as there main phone want to flash it on or will it not be usable in that state?

jeroenqui
2010-06-30, 08:05
I expect it to atleast have a working phone function....

fergusso
2010-06-30, 08:14
didn't you all learn the lesson? .... Nokia will delay it ... it's not going to be released today so stop waiting, i bet my balls to it.

mohannad
2010-06-30, 08:31
it's not going to be released today so stop waiting, i bet my balls to it.

quoting just incase u change ur mind. :P. its almost the 1st of july here!

eMiL
2010-06-30, 08:34
The active users count on this thread is amazing!! :)

qwenjis
2010-06-30, 08:42
Just so I can understand, what are we actually expecting this release to contain?

Will it be a full mobile operating system, including SMS, phone etc, or is it just going to be very basic.

Would a user who uses the n900 as there main phone want to flash it on or will it not be usable in that state?

A full mobile OS would be the best option for us. But most likely there will be english-only version(although it's not a problem for 99% n900 owners) with very restricted functionality.

Even if it's a full mobile OS I won't stop using maemo5 because of few but vital apps I have now

crown77
2010-06-30, 08:43
@eMiL its becouse these are the first really good news after all that bad news in the last time for all the n900 buyers out there;)

I just started a Question Thread at the Meego Forum

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=745

I wonder if they will answer about that but who knows..

Heman1310
2010-06-30, 08:47
Come on... Release it already... It's almost 12 o'clock in Finland. :D

qwenjis
2010-06-30, 08:50
Dual boot is coming. And as far as I can tell, it should be out by MeeGo 1.1. I think the developers working on MeeGo for N900 want that too, so there definitely is a push to get it.
An easy way to install meego is what I really hope for btw.

Turkishflavor
2010-06-30, 08:56