PDA

View Full Version : just got n900, need some newbie help

extendedping
2010-06-18, 17:50
well my unit came with a 10 page getting started that is way too thin and I see a 293 page pdf online (users guide) that is way too thick.

before I start slowly learning the device I want to rid it of all the items (of which there are many) left from the person I bought from. I see under settings two choices

1) resrote original settings and
2) clear device

should I bet hitting either of these buttons? or should I be searching on a thread on how to flash the 1.2 update? and if so does this wipe all settings?

thanks in advance, I will try to make it through the massive pdf, but I just want the unit stock with the latest firmware before I start trying to learn it.

festivalnut
2010-06-18, 17:56
i would do all of them. in the order you mentioned. :)

cddiede
2010-06-18, 18:03
should I bet hitting either of these buttons? or should I be searching on a thread on how to flash the 1.2 update? and if so does this wipe all settings?

thanks in advance, I will try to make it through the massive pdf, but I just want the unit stock with the latest firmware before I start trying to learn it.

Flash it for sure. That wipes the /rootfs and gives you a clean install of the latest OS PR 1.2.

The eMMC, or internal 32GB memory chunk is not wiped by flashing, so you'll have to remove any files the previous owner left three yourself, but the bright side is that all files here are visible using the default File Manager program under the "N900" drive.

Flashing the /rootfs with PR1.2 will delete all of the old owner's preferences and settings.

cjard
2010-06-18, 18:04
install Nokia Software Updater - probably the easiest way to upgrade and wipe a device.. unless it already has the latest software in which case, the flashing route is easy enough - there's a wiki page on it

cjard
2010-06-18, 18:05
The eMMC, or internal 32GB memory chunk is not wiped by flashing,

It is if you flash a new eMMC.. something I was under the impression you had to do for 1.2 anyway

fnordianslip
2010-06-18, 18:10
It is if you flash a new eMMC.. something I was under the impression you had to do for 1.2 anyway
Nope, it isn't necessary to flash the eMMC image after reflashing with PR1.2

I'd recommend flashing the eMMC image to the OP though, although its not something I've ever needed to do.

extendedping
2010-06-18, 23:42
ok folks please stick with me again this is my first ever smart phone.
I have so far...

1) looked in product info which says "version : 10.2010.19-1.002
can I presume that is the latest firmware, and not the unofficial one but the actual 1.2? I looked on nokia's site about getting software to flash for the pc, but it said it was only for mac and windows and I have ubuntu...so I'd rather not do some workaround if I already have the latest and greatest (and the official one too).

2) did from settings both restore original setting and clear device.

3) looked in the memory section. it says
"25.44 GB available
memory for installable applications
1.63 GB available

from details tab

total sive 27,22 GB
in use by system 227.9 MB
user files 1.56 GB
available 25.44 GB

18,9 mb images
2.19 mb audio clips
27.3 web pages
285 kb documents
12 kb contacts
1.41 GB other files

I have no idea if this means I cleaned out the previous owners files and have the official pr 1.2 update (or is it 2.1?)

3) now I Iook in file manager and see the following folders

---Audio clips. in it is folder ring tones which have tones "beep" to "transcend"
---Camera--- which has nothing
---cities---this is with a small "c" and contains diskcache and MapLoader folders
---Documents---which has User Guides folder
---Images---with like 100 images in
---Video clips---empty

so does this mean doing a "restore original settings" and "clear device" cleared out the previous owners files?

also my boot up screen is now blank (well apart from the time/battery meter and 6 squares on the upper right, but the other three screens when I swipe across the desktops, all have other widgets (if that is what they are called), on them. does this mean that by default 3 of the 4 desktops come populated, but the main (or first) one is left to you to populate?

Thanks for the long read if anyone made it through, I posted all the stuff I saw in file manager, because an earlier post said I would have to go into into file manager to manually clear the stuff in the 32 eMMC and I am not sure if that is already done...thanks much.