PDA

View Full Version : I find cooling become to be a problem for N900 as summer comes , Can N900 go through this Summer ?

lanwellon
2010-06-19, 03:51
When N900 first release, it was in December, winter for Northern Hemisphere. So the heat of N900 at that time was not a problem.

But as the summer comes, I find that my N900 become hotter than before as the temperature here rises.

After about 20 minutes web browsing (using WIFI), the battery and the N900 itself(should be the mainboard) became very hot, more than 45C, I think.

Then, something happened, like the input method crash, or MicroB browser crash.

As Nokia said, N900 is a Internet Tablet, not a phone.
On the cooling aspect, it is also more like a computer, I think.
But there is no fan in it !

It is 32C (90F) here. and may be will go to 40C(104F) on August.

I am wondering, at that time, can N900 endure the temp ?

Should I set the CPU frequency down to 500MHz in summer ?
(Because in Conky, I find N900 seems can choose frequency 250MHz/500MHz/600MHz automatically, so is it necessary to lock up to 500MHz ?)

Any one find the same symptom as I have ?

Thanks !

wakkamis
2010-06-19, 04:06
I find the thing heats up most while charging and it seems more so via usb. Dosnt heat up too badly even when overclocked for use off the chargers.

2010-06-19, 04:46
Don't worry, it was the battery acting up, the CPU will throttle at high temp.

If you are still paranoid, you may switch to powersaving mode to force your cpu running at minimum freq, by using cpufrequi (i am sure you use kernal power), or the following script:

echo powersave > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Don't forget to switch it back:
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

bandora
2010-06-19, 05:07
I don't see what's the worry about it.. There's N900 in the middle-east right now you know and it's freakin hot there.. Nobody is complaining about their N900... :) If the N900 can stand 40°C even when in the direct sunlight I don't see it have a problem at all.. ;)

No need to worry about Nokia phones they are truly well built...

Venemo
2010-06-19, 05:46
But as the summer comes, I find that my N900 become hotter than before as the temperature here rises.

Well, that is very interesting, but my N900 has never ever became hot - only when it was charging and under direct sunlight at once.

As Nokia said, N900 is a Internet Tablet, not a phone.
On the cooling aspect, it is also more like a computer, I think.
But there is no fan in it !

It doesn't need one and also, the fan would consume far more power than you think.

It is 32C (90F) here. and may be will go to 40C(104F) on August.

Yes, here too - don't worry, there are already people who used it in even higher temperatures. So far, we don't know of any N900s that would be killed by overclockig, either.

I am wondering, at that time, can N900 endure the temp ?

Yes, probably.

Should I set the CPU frequency down to 500MHz in summer ?
(Because in Conky, I find N900 seems can choose frequency 250MHz/500MHz/600MHz automatically, so is it necessary to lock up to 500MHz ?)

Not really.
However, if you are nervous about it, you should NOT overclock your N900.

Any one find the same symptom as I have ?

Not me.

Guyver
2010-06-19, 06:20
Don't worry you're not alone, other are having the same problem http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54390

mathiasp
2010-06-19, 06:54
Well, I've just been to Delhi, 42°C, no problems whatsoever using slightly overclocked kernel.

maxximuscool
2010-06-19, 07:03
Trust me! N900 will survive through many summer and winter. I took my phone oversea to Cambodia a month back, and i got to say it doing pretty well. The temperature over ther spiked up to 45celcius from time to time. Average of 40celcius.

You don't need to worry about heat.

abill_uk
2010-06-19, 07:38
Worry when your overclocking to 1.2ghz and the 900 is in the oven lol.
It will never fry under normal use no matter what you do and the heat generated whilst charging is normal on most mobile's and the 900 is a chunky thing so it is more than capable of dispersing heat naturally.
Forget about it and use it till your hearts content.

2010-06-19, 08:46
Yep, and wakkamis was right, the battery is getting hotter charging via USB (to PC). It sometime went up to 61C, when I loaded it when other tasks while charging.

gabby131
2010-06-19, 08:57
Matan once said that if you're overclocking and the temp around you is over 32°c, better stay @800-850mhz......but if you can monitor the cpu and battery temp, you will know when to stop, and your are safe.

lanwellon
2010-06-19, 09:10
Don't worry you're not alone, other are having the same problem http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54390

Exactly the same problem.

after using n900 for 5 minutes, it become very warm.

the keyboard, the back pack (battery) is just hot

then put it away for 20 minutes, it become cool.

I use Conky to check and all is normal.

CPU usage is only 2 percent.

Is it related to the summer ?

I used PR1.2 before and no such problem.

I had just reflashed ROM and EMMC and only a few apps installed now. The problem come yesterday.

I think it is not OS related.

This thread should be put on N900 section.
can some guy from NOKIA take a look on this issue ?

schettj
2010-06-19, 13:47
its normal. It gets hot when you use it. Don't overclock it. If it gets too hot, it will simply shut down to protect itself.

I've got an HTC phone that can fry an egg, it's at least three times hotter then then n900.