PDA

View Full Version : Any chance a version of adblock could work on the N800?

Sam Lowry
2007-04-05, 16:06
Any chance a version of adblock could work on the N800?

I know ads are important, but on our small screen devices, it sure would be nice to block them.

Thanks,
SL

fpp
2007-04-05, 19:53
Have you looked at Privoxy ? It's been available since early 770 days...

Sam Lowry
2007-04-05, 23:30
Have you looked at Privoxy ? It's been available since early 770 days...

Nope didn't know about Privoxy. I found the website, but what version do I get. As a newbie, I'm still unclear about how to find the newest versions of applications. Is there a direct link to a version of Privoxy that will work on the N800 using the newest OS version? And if I download it to my N800, do I need to know anything to install it?

Thanks
SL

kimmoj
2007-04-09, 20:02
You basically add so called "software repositories" to your application management program in the device control panel. Then one just refreshes the list of applications and can basically just select the app and have it installed directly over wifi.

Privoxy is a proxy. It sits between your browser and the Internet and intercepts the junk. It's not really hard to configure, but you need to make sure the browser uses the address 127.0.0.1 port 8118 as its proxy server (after privoxy is running.) After that, it's mostly a case of going to http://config.privoxy.org and changing settings via the web interface, assuming Privoxy was set up to accept config changes via the web interface of course.

I don't have an N800 so I don't know if it's available in a repository, but it's a great app. You might want to search the forum to see what's already here about it.

TA-t3
2007-04-11, 16:55
Just to add to the previous posting:
- I'm sure I installed privoxy from a repo, but it doesn't seem to be in that repo anymore -- hopefully you'll find it somewhere.
- Even the default configuration works ok, so just by installing it and using it out of the box you should see a great improvement on getting rid of the most annoying ads.
- The proxy configuration can't be done from the opera menu, there's no option there. But there are some variables in its configuration file, they might work. However, the network configuration itself has a proxy option. You need to create a fixed configuration for the network though, so the proxy setting is on a network-by-network setting. Add a network, give it a name, then go into the configuration in the control panel and look for an 'advanced' setting and you should find the proxy stuff there.
- It's possible to create multiple network configs for the same network, just add it again under another name, and set one to use the proxy and the other not to. Just for the case where the privoxy proxy interferes too much with what you're watching. (I also have it permanently set on my BT phone connection configuration, to reduce the trafffic on expensive GPRS).