PDA

View Full Version : Only 2G in Hong Kong (visiting)

itpastorn
2010-06-19, 14:46
I am on vacation in Hong Kong and I can not figure out why I only get 2G. My Swedish operator is Telenor. I have connected to a bunch of different networks in Hong Kong.

I am using the auto disconnect app, but it does not manage the 2G/3G choice.

(Of course I enable data roaming only when absolutely needed.)

maxximuscool
2010-06-19, 14:51
may be the carrier only support 2G frequency or may be the 3G frequency is not in range of the N900. Check the band width range with the operator.

Similar to AT&T and T-mobile USA one can use 3G on N900 and one can only see 2G.

cheungs
2010-06-19, 15:04
Who's your carrier?

2010-06-19, 18:32
I can connect to 3G with N900 in Hong Kong via Smartone Vodafone.

Hutchison(3 Dualband), PCCW and CSL has 3G coverage as well.

However, even when you are connected to a mobile network with 3G connectivity, you may still get 2G only. It depends on the contract between your original mobile carrier and local carriers.

festivalnut
2010-06-19, 18:47
something went amiss with my autodisconnect after pr1.2 update and locked me out of 3g on my home network, even after uninstalling. i downloaded the manual 2g/3g switcher and that fixed it. give it a try, its not a big download so data roaming charges will be minimal.

qwerty12
2010-06-19, 19:03
i downloaded the manual 2g/3g switcher and that fixed it. give it a try, its not a big download so data roaming charges will be minimal.

I know I don't advertise it in the description, but that applet is a quick way to toggle the Network Mode setting found in the Phone control panel applet. :)

bunanson
2010-06-19, 19:27
i connected to 3.com via 3G automatically when i was in hk last month. it worked well, dl website eye blinking and skype connected and talked. One problem: It used alot of data, dl a page google/news is 20$US! i only use it to talk on skype, cant afford 20US$ per web page. 3.com worked w me for an hr and cannot figure out, still i had to pay for their dumb "smart"phone prepaid card.

i dont have to switch to 3G, N900 did it automagically

bun

bunanson
2010-06-19, 20:18
Well, since I am on it, may as well lay it out and see if anybody has any solution.

The 3.com made me spent an hour in the shop and trying to find out why 50 second loading of a web page /google.co/news used up us$20. Yup, in 50 seconds. They demonstrated by a different phone, a regular cellphone with a diggy screen, it loaded up the whole webpage and costed only US$0.50, the tech support concluded that the N900, because of the hi 'screen resolution', it dl 500MB (1.5G B, I forgot) in 50seconds and used up the prepaid card, and suggested me to buy another phone rather than using the N900.

I was not paying attention at that time and I still dont quite get it today, does anybody understand what the tech support was saying? I need the 3G, not for websurfing, I need it to make skype call. I probably will do the same when I am back in HK this xmas. They are the only one allows 3G in HK and skype wont go without 3G.

bun

Guyver
2010-06-19, 23:10
I am on vacation in Hong Kong and I can not figure out why I only get 2G. My Swedish operator is Telenor. I have connected to a bunch of different networks in Hong Kong.

I am using the auto disconnect app, but it does not manage the 2G/3G choice.

(Of course I enable data roaming only when absolutely needed.)

I normally just get a local 3G Rechargable Sim card from Three (3 Hutchison), when i'm in Hong Kong. I can use it to call locally/ internationally and surf the net.

itpastorn
2010-06-20, 03:48
Who's your carrier?

My Swedish carrir is Telenor. Right now in HK I am on "SMC-Voda Telenor SE".

I have also accessed PEOPLES, who said in a welcoming SMS that I might access their GPRS service, so I suppose that's a 2G only service.

I have accessed other carriers as well, but can't remember their names right now.