PDA

View Full Version : Rsync, ssh and Mass Storage Mode = Missing RSS Feeds

paulkoan
2010-06-19, 15:19
I have a script that syncs various items from my server to my n900. It uses rsync over ssh to copy video files, music and other misc documents over from designated folders.

This is very useful. The other day though, I noticed that my home partition was full, even though du showed just 500mb in use. An fsck showed errors, so I flashed it and all the space returned.

A couple of days later, and suddenly all the space has vanished again. Can you guess why? The clue is in the title.

Whenever you put the n900 into mass storage mode, the MyDocs partition is unmounted.

However, this isn't known to my script, which happily copies stuff to /home/user/MyDocs. Seeing as the partition isn't mounted, all this stuff ends up in the MyDocs folder on the home partition, not the MyDocs partition. I am copying more than 2GB all in, and so this quickly fills the home partition, then things start to go wrong. One of these things is that the rss feeds disappear, presumably because rss reader wanted to write the opml file, but the home partition was full so it was lost.

Oops. Not sure what the workaround is yet - stopping ssh when in msm isn't what I want. The ideal would be if rsync did nothing if the destination folders aren't present, but I cannot see that option.

Anyway, this post is just for bearing in mind if you do something similar.

mlb
2010-08-14, 19:08
Yeah, similar problem here. Every couple of weeks my feed list is vanished, withot obvious reason. I do not use rsync, I use ssh, and not so much Mass Storage Mode. Today rss entries dissapeared for no reason, I have not used device in storage mode, I just rebooted it after updating custom ringtones addon.