PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Upgrading Hell..Did I brick?

arkman
2007-04-05, 16:29
Ok. I'm trying to upgrade my N800 to the latest firmware. I'm on a Windows machine and I followed the directions as posted, but at some point in the upgrade process the little N800 shutdown (I think) and the upgrade stopped. I tried to restart the tablet and put it back into 'USB mode', but it won't seem to go into that mode. It also doesn't seem to want to start! It will sometimes startup and goto the white Nokia screen, sit there for a few seconds and then go dark. Other times it won't start at all (i.e. holding the power button down) does nothing. If I pop the battery out and then put it back in it seems to power up after that, but still cycles through the Nokia screen and then goes dark.

Any ideas?

brendan
2007-04-05, 16:36
plug in the charger and wait for the battery to completely charge. then unplug the charger, and plug in the usb with the power off. press and hold the home button while turning on the power.

if you have the charger plugged in, it is not completely powered off, so you wont get into the flash mode when powering up.

you may have partially flashed the device, which should be correctable. the term "bricking the device" usually refers to a completely defunct device that doesnt respond at all. i dont think you are there, yet.

DryLand404
2007-04-05, 16:36
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301&highlight=puppy+linux

Puppy Linux Live CD works well for setting engineering mode to get through the boot at which point the NVRam flags can be cleared. Check out the above thread throughly.

arkman
2007-04-05, 23:51
I've tried the instructions for flashing from linux, but my problem seems to be that I can no longer get the unit to go into 'usb mode'. The icon never appears in the top right corner and in fact it just has problems turning on. It will turn on sometimes and then cycle through the Nokia screen and go off, but it sometimes won't even turn on. I haven't found a pattern yet, but it appears that if I leave it for a little while and then try to turn it on it comes on and reboots.

Any more ideas?

And yes I'm holding down the 'Home' key.

TIA

DryLand404
2007-04-06, 01:02
Ohh good, I was going to ask about the home key.
Seems like it could be a battery issue for starters.
tried booting with the power connected? I don't know if it will work.
I found that when mine bricked into the constant boot, it would not charge the battery during the boot. I let it sit for a while and had just enough power to get through the Linux set flags options. It's a standard Nokia battery, maybe you have a compatable nokia phone or know someone? Check walmart, atleast you can return the battery there.