PDA

View Full Version : How to sync Bookmarks with N800

sl13ntb0b
2007-04-05, 18:35
Hi i would like to sync my bookmarks from Windows (Firefox) to my N800 at the moment i am using the Google Browser Sync, but as the Gsync does not work with my N800 i am inclined to switch to something else?

If there is no program that suits my needs is there any other method for getting my extensive bookmarks on my N800 besides typing them in?

Thanks

Karel Jansens
2007-04-05, 21:00
Hi i would like to sync my bookmarks from Windows (Firefox) to my N800 at the moment i am using the Google Browser Sync, but as the Gsync does not work with my N800 i am inclined to switch to something else?

If there is no program that suits my needs is there any other method for getting my extensive bookmarks on my N800 besides typing them in?

Thanks

What I do (WARNING! Extremely low-tech solution ahead!) is save my bookmarks to file, mail them to myself (Gmail) and bookmark that file on the N800.

It's an extra tap on the bookmark icon, I know, but over time I tend to re-bookmark the frequently visited ones. Besides, the bookmark "feature" on the N880 is apallingly primitive; I get better bookmark organisation in the separate file.

sl13ntb0b
2007-04-24, 16:37
Thank you very much for your kind hitn, but i am looking for a program that syncs my bookmarks every time i use my browser somewhere... as the google bookmarks sync does!

Is there anything similar?

Thanks in advance!

artkavanagh
2007-04-25, 11:26
As far as I can see, the N800 browser stores bookmarks in XBEL format. At any rate, I've got a file /home/user/.bookmarks/MyBookmarks.xml in this format that contains all my bookmarks. XBEL stands for "XML [or eXtensible, by some accounts] Bookmark Exchange Language".

Many browsers including, I believe, Firefox either store or export bookmarks in Netscape bookmark file format (this typically has a .htm extension but the doctype declaration will be something like "NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1").

The two formats are similar in structure. In principle, it should be fairly straightforward to convert between them. There's a Python utility called xbel_parse that purports to be able to do the job. You'll find a man page here:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/xbel_parse.1.html

It looks a bit fiddly (apparently it reads only from stdin and prints only to stdout). I haven't tried it myself (I haven't even installed Python on my N800 yet) but it might be worth investigating if you have a lot of bookmarks (I don't, preferring to rely on autocomplete and the history list).

Not quite what you asked for, I know, but it might be very effective.