PDA

View Full Version : Swap battery - time lost

planetf1
2010-06-20, 21:17
I have a spare battery for my N900 running PR 1.2

I've noticed that every time I swap to a spare battery -- even if I only take 30s to swap the battery, when I next bootup the time/date is lost & I get prompted to set it.

Is this a fault? I can't remember any other phone being as sensitive?

maxximuscool
2010-06-20, 21:25
nop it's the usual symtom. If you took the battery out longer 20seconds then the time will be lost.

Just don't take over 20seconds.

Nathraiben
2010-06-20, 21:56
That really sounds like a fault, since other than the main battery it also should have an internal battery, too. I had to remove my battery quite a couple of times, and my N900's still running on the very same time/date settings I put right after receiving it.

[edit]
Are you sure, maxximuscool? It most DEFINITELY took me longer than that (was exchanging my SIM card), but I never had to re-enter those settings.

somedude
2010-06-20, 22:59
I have never had this issue, no matter how long I keep my battery out my phone still has the same (current) date and time. you might want to reset your setting and see if that helps. If not; sorry to say but you would have to flash the firmware and emc.

MohammadAG
2010-06-20, 23:18
Or it could be the SIM card slot being a bit loose so when you take out the battery it's not touching the pins, and the N900 resets those settings whenever the SIM card is removed.

Just stick a paper on the side with no pins on it (top side) - my SIM is a 7 year old USIM and a bit scratched, but it works with one layer of paper on it.

planetf1
2010-06-20, 23:21
So some mixed thoughts... This is a fresh reflash from this week so it could be a possible fault....... will have to do some more tests - check totally shutdown, try and time it etc, as I was in a rush today.....

juanenrique
2010-06-20, 23:44
i have it everytime i exchange sim card... no matter how long it takes, it usually asks for date, time and locale settings... and although for me it's no big deal, i don't think it should do that either...

yodawg
2010-06-21, 00:05
happens to me all the time whenever i take the battery out and put it back in the time settings are messed up and need to be configured..
its pretty annoying, my old phones didnt do this

ultravires
2010-06-21, 00:07
Justm to confirm that I have the same problem.

Ahmed Henry
2010-06-21, 00:30
go to the clock and update automatically i guess

biggzy
2010-06-21, 06:43
same here, if i take too long to swap batteries then time is reset, i usualy swap them in few seconds and all is fine.

Cue
2010-06-21, 06:46
that is really odd. I swap batteries daily and have never lost my time settings. could it depend on the battery too?

maxximuscool
2010-06-21, 06:57
Not the battery, situation start when the charge inside the phone runs out. If people who never experienced it why don't you guys try take the battery out now and press the power button and let it off without battery for 40seconds, then put it back in and start your phone. Now feel it? I guess you will

Cue
2010-06-21, 07:07
well I was thinking most batteries stop themselves from being fully drained by switching off the device but still power a system clock for alarms too. I was thinking maybe some batteries do this later giving less time where they power the system clock so there is actually less time to swap batteries once it had switched off.
Do phones have a small CMOS battery or capacitor?

2010-06-21, 07:39
It also happened when I just bought N900, but I figured later the shutdown button doesn't really shutdown the device immediately, thus removing the battery during shutdown in progress would cause some problems, like disappearance of newly created widget.

Either you need to wait or enter the following under xterminal (or create a command line widget) to issue the shutdown with sync:

sync;sync;sync;sudo init 0

Edit: Of course I didn't rule out the possibility of defects. Just try shutdown the device properly and see if it happen again.

Nathraiben
2010-06-21, 10:30
Turned off my device, took out the battery for five minutes, put it back in, turned on my device, device is still merrily displaying the correct time.

Turned off my device, took out the battery, removed the SIM card, put everything back where it belonged, turned on my device, device is still merrily displaying the correct time.

Turned off my device, took out the battery, repeatedly pressed and held the power button for a minute or two (God knows why anybody would ever try to power on their device while the battery is removed...), waited for a minute, put the battery back in, turned on my device, device is still merrily displaying the correct time.

So, no: No matter what I do, I do NOT "feel it"... :rolleyes:

noipv4
2010-06-21, 10:41
A 2 min time out w/o the battery did not affect my device.