PDA

View Full Version : Changing Google search bookmark thumbnail back to factory default

Twenynge
2010-06-21, 07:57
Hi all,

Finally got an N900 a few days ago and have been playing around with the desktops. While I was shuffling bookmarks, I ended up removing the factory default Google search bookmark from one of the desktops. I went ahead and put it back on, but to my chagrin, I no longer had a nice blue icon with a white "G", but instead was left staring at a snapshot of the actual Google web page.

I wish I could being to explain how irritating I find it that I've lost this clean icon, but suffice it to say I am loosing sleep over it (I'm a bit... anal). Now I know this may seem silly, but I am dying to return the Google bookmark icon to it's former glory. Unfortunately, it seems that Maemo has taken a page out of the Linux play book and is making accomplishing this feat as inconvenient as possible.

So, does anyone know how I can change the icon back? I'm a bit of a Linux novice, so step by step instructions for terminal commands and appropriate file paths/locations would be greatly appreciated. For example, where is the .png file that I lost located? What file do I need to edit so that the bookmark uses .png file I want? Why the hell is this so difficult? Why can't I let this go?

Thanks in advance.

shepo73
2010-06-21, 10:09
have you tried reloading it through desktop menu?

Jayboy5
2010-06-21, 10:29
Hi all,

Finally got an N900 a few days ago and have been playing around with the desktops. While I was shuffling bookmarks, I ended up removing the factory default Google search bookmark from one of the desktops. I went ahead and put it back on, but to my chagrin, I no longer had a nice blue icon with a white "G", but instead was left staring at a snapshot of the actual Google web page.

I wish I could being to explain how irritating I find it that I've lost this clean icon, but suffice it to say I am loosing sleep over it (I'm a bit... anal). Now I know this may seem silly, but I am dying to return the Google bookmark icon to it's former glory. Unfortunately, it seems that Maemo has taken a page out of the Linux play book and is making accomplishing this feat as inconvenient as possible.

So, does anyone know how I can change the icon back? I'm a bit of a Linux novice, so step by step instructions for terminal commands and appropriate file paths/locations would be greatly appreciated. For example, where is the .png file that I lost located? What file do I need to edit so that the bookmark uses .png file I want? Why the hell is this so difficult? Why can't I let this go?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

The "blue icon with a g" is actually a google widget and not a bookmark. They are 2 different things entirely for your desktop. If you go to "add widgets" in your desktops options, you can add the "google" widget and get that neat blue icon back. Hope this helps!

afaq
2010-06-21, 10:38
The only think i dont like about the original blue icon google widget is it takes you to mobile google. anyone know how to permanently switch it to the full site?

(clicking "classic" once the page is open only changes it for that session).

Twenynge
2010-06-21, 18:17
Doh! It's a widget, not a bookmark! I knew in the back of my mind that I was asking a really stupid question. Thank you all for your replies...