PDA

View Full Version : How to install expired Certificate

trelirodia
2010-06-22, 01:55
Dear all,

I've been trying to install an SSL certificate that will allow me to access my work email. The certificate is however expired and I can't seem to be able to install it on my N900.

I've exported it from my PC and I've tried installing it both using the certificate manage import function and via the file manager, but no luck.

I get an error that the certificate is not valid and has expired.

I tried setting my phone's clock back, but it only allows me to go back till 1/1/2009 and the certificate expired on 4/12/2008 ... so tough luck

Does anyone know how I can possibly force it to install? Is there a config file or something for the certificate manager?

Many thanks in advance

trelirodia
2010-06-25, 22:39
... I guess no one has any idea :-(

fahadj2003
2010-06-25, 22:50
uhmmm
dont know
which email?
i use msn
works fine for me..
but if its expiry problem, u should try to set ur date backwards
hope it helped

trelirodia
2010-06-28, 20:36
Hi fahadj2003,

I've already tried that, but I am not able to set the clock back to 2008, when the certificated expired ...

It's my work email which runs on our local servers (not microsoft exchange)

Thanks for the response anyway :-)

fahadj2003
2010-07-07, 05:58
sorry cant help
but maybe u can try emailing nokia care thingy for this
perhaps this is a bug

Rob1n
2010-07-07, 08:12
It's my work email which runs on our local servers (not microsoft exchange)
Perhaps you should have a word with your IT department about installing a valid certificate. If they're too cheap to pay for one issued by one of the standard CAs (and they're not expensive nowadays) then creating your own CA to sign certificates for internal use is trivial.

perhaps this is a bug
I rather doubt it. It's a core part of the X509 certificate functionality that they expire, and once they expire they're no longer valid. Allowing installation of invalid certificates is a security risk, so preventing it is perfectly understandable.

pthomas22
2010-07-07, 11:26
If the certificate is expired you need a new one. Whoever issued the expired one must issue the new one.

fahadj2003
2010-07-07, 17:15
he cant switch the date back, thats the bug

sjgadsby
2010-07-07, 18:13
he cant switch the date back, thats the bug

I'd be surprised if it isn't possible to do so via the command line. It's likely just the fancy, touch-friendly GUI tools that don't support adjusting the date to something prior to the year of the device's release. And since the design documents are unlikely to cover such an action, any bug filed will be summarily closed as INVALID or WONTFIX.

trelirodia
2010-07-07, 23:47
Thank you all for the replies!

I can't believe that it didn't cross my mind to change the date from the terminal ...

That worked fine and I was able to install the certificate!

However, I still can't get the email to work ... I'm really not sure what the problem is, I do read my email at home in TB, but I can't get it to work on the N900 ... it is eternally trying to access the account :-(

Oh well, I will probably end up fwding the emails to another account.
I have unsuccessfully tried to get the IT person to deal with this issue, so it may not be worth it anymore ...

Many thanks again for the help