PDA

View Full Version : Media Converter

konttori
2005-12-04, 14:02
Now that quite a few people have their Nokias up and running, I thought to make a small and easy to use media converter for it. It was built yesterday in a few hours, but works pretty nicely at least for me. I would have uploaded it as an attahcment, but the limit has been set to 2 MB.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter.zip

Comments, bugs and suggestions are welcome.

Usage is simple:
1. Unzip the folder
2. Open folder Media Converter
3. Double click on the butterfly -icon or the mediaconverter.jar
4. Select any .avi files using the add files to queue (you can multiselect)
5. Select proper resolution, bitrate for audio and vide and then click on the convert videos button
6. Wait until Total progress is 100%
7. Check on the source files folder and you should see new files with .nokia770.avi at the end of the file names. These are your converted files.

If nothing happens when trying to open the media converter, then you may need to install java runtime to your computer. You can get java runtime from java.sun.com. http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

Bill
2005-12-04, 15:44
Thanks Konttori, it works like a charm.

For those, like me, who couldn't find a barebones, none SDK, java runtime on the page you linked:

Try the following link for Win32:
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

konttori
2005-12-04, 15:54
Thanks for letting me know that it works on other computers beside my own. I'm glad that you like it!

Remote User
2005-12-04, 16:00
I would think that the right place for this is in the software and the Wiki HowTo areas here at ITT. If you just leave this info here in the forum the number of people who will actually see it after a few days will be very small in comparison to the info as an entry in both of these two areas.

konttori
2005-12-04, 16:15
What a splendid idea Remote User!

I added it to the software section and made a Wiki entry for that.

konttori
2005-12-04, 16:20
Bill: I updated the link to java as you recommended. Thanks for that.

ragnar
2005-12-04, 16:26
Thank you very much for this! It's excellent. Just the right amount of settings available.

Remote User
2005-12-04, 16:52
You're comfortable with creating new entries so I hope you have some time to look through the forums for useful things that others have mentioned but didn't put in the Software or Wiki sections like they might have and can do it for them, to benefit us all. I think there are a lot of very useful bits & pieces all around the forums.

By the way, do those bat files that you mentioned earlier have any relevance to this?

divxz
2005-12-04, 16:53
Now that quite a few people have their Nokias up and running, I thought to make a small and easy to use media converter for it. It was built yesterday in a few hours, but works pretty nicely at least for me. I would have uploaded it as an attahcment, but the limit has been set to 2 MB.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter.zip

FYI

Just download and ran the app on my PowerBook running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. It ran. Couldn't actually convert anything, but it ran. I'm updating to the latest Java release from Apple right now to see what happens next.

konttori
2005-12-04, 17:19
divxz:
I'm certain that it won't make the conversion on your tiger, even after installing latest java, as the mencoder component in it is windows specific. Did the user interface work on your apple?

On the bright side, there exists a version of mencoder for osx as well. Alas, as I don't have a mac, I cannot easily make a version that would do the trick on an apple. I can try to have a look at it tomorrow.

konttori
2005-12-04, 17:23
Remote user:
Well, the bat files that I mentioned earlier are pretty much the same thing as this, but require a bit of tweaking with a notepad to get them to work. As you can see, this 0.10 version actually uses a bat file (encode.bat) to make the call to mencoder. I should be able to drop the need for the bat file pretty soon. That would also allow me to try to make an osx compatible version of this.

divxz
2005-12-04, 17:31
divxz:
I'm certain that it won't make the conversion on your tiger, even after installing latest java, as the mencoder component in it is windows specific. Did the user interface work on your apple?

On the bright side, there exists a version of mencoder for osx as well. Alas, as I don't have a mac, I cannot easily make a version that would do the trick on an apple. I can try to have a look at it tomorrow.

The UI looked perfect and behaved very well. But, knowing that the encoder is win-specific explains why the app didn't do anything for me! :)

If you feel like playing around with any Mac stuff, I'd be happy to help you test.

konttori
2005-12-04, 20:29
divxz:
There is now an osx version that *may* / *might* work if stars are in correct positions and gods willing. So, if you have the interest to test it out, you can do so here:
www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverterOSX.zip
Ok, if that isn't working, then I'll try to get access to a mac somehow and test it out there. I've bundled OSX mencoder there, but without a mac, well... No way to be even sure if the mencoder works, let alone be sure if I have modified the call to the encoder in a correct fashion. ;)

divxz
2005-12-04, 21:03
divxz:

www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverterOSX.zip
Ok, if that isn't working, then I'll try to get access to a mac somehow and test it out there. I've bundled OSX mencoder there, but without a mac, well... No way to be even sure if the mencoder works, let alone be sure if I have modified the call to the encoder in a correct fashion. ;)

Just tried it. The app loaded and looked good. Tried a couple of files but no output resulted. I ran the encoder directly and this is what I saw:

AltiVec found
Reading /Users/divxz/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/Users/patrick/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
Reading config file /Users/divxz/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory

Might I need additional components installed?

konttori
2005-12-04, 21:18
Try installing that. I thought the mencoder would be standalone as it is for windows. Perhaps it isn't.
You can download full mencoder from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerosx/mencoderrc077.sit?download

Azimuth Media
2005-12-04, 22:04
I'd been planning how to get a media conversion setup running, and lo, you came through for me!

I used it on a short xvid of mine, worked beautifully! Gonna try 'Lost' tomorrow when my 512MB RS-MMC gets here.

Thanks again!

konttori
2005-12-05, 07:25
Nice to hear that. If you guys have any ideas on how to improve it, just let me know.

konttori
2005-12-07, 14:00
OSX and Windows versions have both now been updated.
New in this release:
- OSX version ;)
- Windows installer
- Minor fixes

Can someone try installing the windows version and confirm that the installer is working?

I just made the installer and I have no clue if it only works on my computer or if it actually works on others computers as well.

Oh, feedback is very welcome!

Special thanks to Mikko Kiesilä and divxz in getting the OSX version up and running!

Maerra
2005-12-07, 14:51
konttori's Media Converter is working (Windows) but there was (for me) a wrong path in .bat file. After correction OK.

konttori is using in his Converter an adjustable videobitrate but with max 300 kbps. Mpeg1-video which is about 1150 kbps as standard is supported by the 770. There is unfortenately some annoying extra softness on 770 display because all videos (e.g.
352x208) are stretched to 800/600 x 480/360 which make comparisions quite subjective.

Is 300 kbps some kind of practical/theoretical/official max. videobitrate for the 770?

konttori
2005-12-07, 17:03
Media converter uses mpeg 4, which nokia 770 can decode at tops 300 kbps.
I got the info from here:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEncoding?highlight=%28video%29

Somebody have used mpeg 1 as well, but then you have to use bigger bitrate to get good results -> bigger filesize -> less videos mmc.

Has anyone tried mpeg 4 with higher bitrate than 300kbps? If so, how have the results been? I'm not much around the computer for the rest of the day, so I can't test now.

Maerra
2005-12-07, 20:46
Minor question:
fast moving objets in video are generally problematic, because in some parts of video the display needs then more bits/sec and frames/sec to maintain video quality.

Does Mencoder or/and konttori's Converter produce a variable (VBR) or constant (CBR) videobitrate?

konttori
2005-12-07, 21:27
Mencoder can do it for mpeg1, but apparently not for mpeg4. However, with two-pass encoding, the encouder should be able to make a nice version that should smooth out the problems in the fast moving parts. Mencoder supports this and it shouldn't be too hard to add to Media Converter.

Although, apparently there may also be problems in nokia 770 itself in decoding fast paced action.

divxz
2005-12-08, 00:36
Try installing that. I thought the mencoder would be standalone as it is for windows. Perhaps it isn't.
You can download full mencoder from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerosx/mencoderrc077.sit?download

So, I have successfully encoded a video using Media Convert on Mac OS X.

Thank you, sir.

konttori
2005-12-08, 11:00
Media Converter 0.3 has been released.
New in this version is the ablity to encode usinng two-pass coding, which gives much better quality results. It is well worth the extended encoding time. However, I felt it was still nice to leave it as an option. What do you think? Option or as default and not changable?

Oh, and some people have been asking about the file formats, according to mencoder site, it supports the following formats:
* MPEG-1 (VCD) and MPEG-2 (SVCD/DVD/DVB) video
* MPEG-4
* MJPEG, AVID, VCR2 and ASV2
* DivX
* 3ivx
* Windows Media Video 7/8 (WMV1/2)
* Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3) (using x86 DLL)
* RealVideo 1.0, 2.0 (G2)
* RealVideo 3.0 (RP8), 4.0 (RP9) (using Real libraries)
* Sorenson v1/v3 (SVQ1/SVQ3), Cinepak, RPZA and other QuickTime codecs
* DV video
* Intel Indeo3 (3.1, 3.2)
* Intel Indeo 4.1 and 5.0 (using x86 DLL or XAnim codecs)
* VIVO 1.0, 2.0, I263 and other H.263(+) variants (using x86 DLL)
* FLI/FLC
* HuffYUV
* various old simple RLE-like formats

Most of these should work on media converter, but if not, please let me know!

You can download it here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/software/fileinfo.php?id=16

I'll try to release OSX version of 0.3 later today.

teemu
2005-12-08, 11:54
Media Converter 0.3 has been released.
New in this version is the ablity to encode usinng two-pass coding, which gives much better quality results.

Very nice work. Can't wait to get home and test it.

Option or as default and not changable?

I think option is better. I at least like the fact that you can sometimes encode videos with faster speed, even though you loose some quality.

Maerra
2005-12-08, 21:00
I have some home "videos" made from still pictures (slideshow) where changing the picture to next one is the only movement. I experimented with Mencoder and decreased framerate down to 8 fps: no visual difference against 15 fps. So, it should be useful to have adjustable framerate too in konttoris' Converter.

BTW, does the two-pass encoding produce variable videobitrate (VBR)?

heavyj
2005-12-09, 18:35
I'm running Windows 2K Pro and it works like a charm for my MPEG4 movies. Man , I love this device. :)

Reggie
2005-12-09, 22:20
I'll try to release OSX version of 0.3 later today.

Is the Mac version ready? :D

Azimuth Media
2005-12-10, 16:52
Just downloaded and tried to run the latest version- it does its job, but the file it generates doesn't have the .nokia770 suffix, nor does it include the whole filename, at least with 2 pass encoding checked. Any ideas?

konttori
2005-12-11, 21:04
well, osx version might work, but i haven't tested it yet.
windows installer had a bug and i've updated the setup.exe just a few mins ago.

AzM: what windows version do you have?

konttori
2005-12-11, 21:11
reggie, i can maybe be able to test 0.3 ver for osx tomorrow. i'll let you know if it works.

Azimuth Media
2005-12-11, 21:55
Thanks, Kon.

XP Pro.

konttori
2005-12-12, 13:55
0.3 version added for OSX!

Ther exists a bug for both windows and osx versions that you cannot process files that have a space character in the path. This will be hopefully corrected later today.

Just to let you guys know what's going on.

myet01
2005-12-12, 15:30
I had a short DVD sent to me that had several files (PLS, BUP, IFO and the main file VOB). I tried to convert it to 770 format using Media Converter and the only thing that seem to convert was the Audio? Any ideas?

Tony

konttori
2005-12-12, 20:41
it doesn't support dvd ripping yet. i'll let you guys know as soon as it does.

myet01
2005-12-12, 21:08
Thanks for the feedback!

konttori
2005-12-13, 15:21
I made small update that fixes the issue with filenames (/paths) containing spaces. Should be quite a relief for those who have had problems converting files.

andymulhearn
2005-12-13, 15:25
Konttori,

do you have any hints for those of us running OSX? I've tried to get this to work with various versions of Java 5.0 installed and each time, the Jar Launcher has a problem with launching.

dazwest
2005-12-13, 15:41
Kontorri,

Sorry to add to your workload but I've just downloaded and run ver.0.35 for the first time but it doesn't seem to output a file.
The File Progress and Total Progress bars zoom to 100% in about 2 seconds - is that right?

thanks!

Reggie
2005-12-13, 17:00
Same problem here. Just downloaded the King Kong trailer (.mov) and when converting it, it just goes straight to 100%.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks.

wweg
2005-12-13, 17:42
Downloaded the newest version and it works fine for me. Just converted a 700 mb divx file and a smaller avi-file with no problems.

edit: winxp home

konttori
2005-12-13, 21:42
I made a small attempt at fixing the issue. However, I have not tested the osx version, so you can try it, but no guarantees. Also, as I only had some 5 mins to look into the issue, make an attempt to fix it, test it, make installer for windows, pack it for osx and test the windows installer, I have absolutely no idea if it has solved the problem on osx or not. So, my apologies if it doesn't work. I've uploaded the new versions for windows and osx onto the server, so download as usual, if you have the guts for it.

mbrewer01
2005-12-14, 15:37
Any chance you'd let me have the source code for this? This app could be useful for more than just the 770. Also, there needs to be a way to stop mencoder when exiting the program.

konttori
2005-12-14, 18:46
Any chance you'd let me have the source code for this? This app could be useful for more than just the 770. Also, there needs to be a way to stop mencoder when exiting the program.

Sure. It's such a simple app. I'll include the source for the next release or at least in a soon enough release. Is that Ok with you?

One thing I just don't get is why no-one has made a similiar GPL app before. I mean, it's so simple thing to make a front-end for mencoder, but at the same time there are tons of companies making converters for all sorts of devices.

Do you think it might make sense to make a sourceforge project for this?

Reggie
2005-12-14, 23:36
Is it possible to add .mov support?

konttori
2005-12-15, 09:04
I've updated the converter to 0.40 version.
This version aims at usage improvements and fixes some bugs in process control.
Mencoder has been updated to 1.0rc7 version.

Have a go, it's a really nice update!

Reggie, it should support some .mov files, but not all. It seems that mencoder is not capable of converting the most recent mov. I tried with the new king kong trailer, and that's not working.

konttori
2005-12-15, 10:18
Heh. Just noticed a small annoyance bug. Status line puts the 2nd pass on the wrong row. I'm at work at the moment, so can't fix it until evening. But as said, that's just an annoyance and doesn't affect the functionality in any way.

mbrewer01
2005-12-15, 11:45
Thanks for the reply. As for making it a project on Sourceforge, yes, I do think that would be a good idea. Like I mentioned, it has many more uses than the 770.

myet01
2005-12-15, 14:02
I have a video (MPEG1, LAYER 2) that if I drag it to the 770 it will not play (says wrong format). But if I use your Media converter and convert it, it plays OK. I thought the 770 supported MPEG1 and if so, why wouldn't it play?

Tony

konttori
2005-12-15, 14:33
Could be that it's too high bitrate, too high resolution or something else entirely. If it's over 352 resolution, that might be the reason.

Reggie
2005-12-16, 03:44
What format will be the best to convert from, with regards to the final quality?

konttori
2005-12-16, 07:54
It's always best to use as high resolutions source as possible, although that probably affecs negatively to the encoding speed.

As a sidenote, I have updated the install to 0.41, which fixes the 2nd pass status line issue.

konttori
2005-12-16, 13:23
I've now updated te windows version to 0.5. New feature is the support for destination directory, so that you can e.g. convert straight you your nokia 770.

The app is now getting cluttered and I'm thinking about moving some of the options to a preferences dialog.

konttori
2005-12-16, 14:32
Ok, updated it again. Now support for up to 512kbps video (apparently 770 supports that up to 800 kbps, but I suppose 512 should be enough). Video is now in autoaspect mode, so there is also a new resolution on 288x160, which according to maemo FAQ provides good results ( http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEncoding?highlight=%28video%29 ) . So, you might want to try it out and give some feedback on your experiences.

shonk
2005-12-16, 21:36
Awesome...works for me on OS X, though it took a bit of trying. If anybody else runs into the same problems I did (Jar Launcher craps out when trying to open it, even after updating to the latest Java), it might be because, even though you've got Java 2 SE 5.0 (J2SE 5.0), which is what you need, you've also got J2SE 1.4.2 (or some other version) hanging out. Apparently the default behavior is to keep 1.4.2 as the default runtime environment. To fix that, go to /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0 and open up Java Preferences.app, then swap the order of J2SE 5.0 and J2SE 1.4.2 under "Java Application Runtime Settings" in the "General" tab.

Like I said, the above worked for me, anyway, but I don't know how unique my setup is.

Reggie
2005-12-16, 21:42
Yes, that's how it should be don Shonk. It took a while for me to figure out that too.

Here's a tip: with the samples I made, I get the best results if I use QT Pro to export the .mov trailer to .DV (warning: file becomes big) then, use Media Converter to convert the .dv it to .avi.

konttori
2005-12-18, 11:25
I updated the osx version instructions based on Shonks info. Is that ok with you shonk?

mikelococo
2005-12-18, 20:07
Greetings,

I posted in the appdb (http://www.internettablettalk.com/software/fileinfo.php?id=24) , that the OSX version runs under linux as well. You need to take care to run it with the Sun JRE, but it seems to work fine.

The appdb entry should be updated, along with the readme in the next release.

Mike

konttori
2005-12-18, 21:49
Oh, nice to hear that it's working on linux as well. And thanks for putting the instructions on how to install it on linux. I put the code in the jar for handling the Linux os as well, but as I didn't have the possibility at the time to do testing on linux I just thought not to mention it at all. The jar file is the same windows, linux and osx. Now, if I just have the time, I'll make same sort of zip for linux as well and bundle the mencoder there. Perhaps some sort of shell script could handle the correct way of calling the java engine on varied distributions. Any ideas on how to approach the issue of making such a script?

mikelococo
2005-12-18, 23:01
Perhaps some sort of shell script could handle the correct way of calling the java engine on varied distributions. Any ideas on how to approach the issue of making such a script?

That's a reasonable and non-intrustive way to handle the issue. Presuming that Sun places the java binary the same place across different distro's and packaging methods, this should work:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java -jar MediaConverter.jar

Maybe other folks won't have this problem, it seems weird to me that the JRE installer doesn't put the java binary in the path anywhere and it may be an artifact of my having GNU java installed already. But you could note the situation, include the script, and see what bug reports and suggestions come in.

Mike

Mike

mikelococo
2005-12-18, 23:09
Has anyone tried Media Converter with vob files ripped from a DVD? When I do, I get awful audio/video sync problems when playing on the 770. Playing the same file in totem (my desktop video player) works fine, no sync issues. The problem also occurs if I use mencoder directly to encode the files, but the 770 has no sync problems when playing re-encoded mpg's and avi's from other sources (for example archive.org), only the vob's.

Any ideas?

Mike

shonk
2005-12-19, 05:29
I updated the osx version instructions based on Shonks info. Is that ok with you shonk?

Absolutely.

Zero23
2005-12-29, 16:33
im getting the same problem that was posted eairlier but i have not seen how to fix it. The MD installed fine and loads but when i try to convert it goes straight to 100% with no output. Any ideas??

Biomech
2005-12-31, 20:37
I just installed the new OS 3.2005.51-13 and I've noticed something odd. I had several music videos that I had converted to full screen Nokia 770 format and they are no longer full screen. Can someone else confirm that change?

Bill
2005-12-31, 21:19
Yes, and this actually seems to be a bug fix, remember the 770 screen has an aspect ratio of 15:9, Konttori's media converter's output is either 4:3 of 16:9, both are common aspect ratios.

eye.surgeon
2006-01-01, 00:37
Konttori--
This thing rocks. I have about 50 seinfeld episodes on my desktop that convert perfectly. Thanks buddy.

AleGuy
2006-01-05, 12:30
Here's a tip: with the samples I made, I get the best results if I use QT Pro to export the .mov trailer to .DV (warning: file becomes big) then, use Media Converter to convert the .dv it to .avi.

Didn't work for me.

I had tried using Handbrake to convert a DVD chapter directly, but couldn't find a combination that worked (even with downsizing, lowering frame rate, etc. I created a .avi file with MP4 video/ MP3 audio - not sure why it didn't work. All worked fine on VLC).

So I then got Media Converter working on my Mac (OS X Tiger) with help from the forum posts (thanks all). It wouldn't work directly with a Handbrake created file either (I tried many output combinations). So I tried what you suggested. Used QT Pro to convert my Handbrake output (which played fine on QT) to a DV file using the default settings. But then Media Converter failed. Any suggestions or tips?

/K

myet01
2006-01-11, 13:22
Konttori--
This thing rocks. I have about 50 seinfeld episodes on my desktop that convert perfectly. Thanks buddy.

What are you using to convert the Seinfeld episodes? I got a seinfeld CD for Xmas and when I converted it the sound got out of sync? I used DVD Shrink to rip it then Media Converter to convert that to the 770 format? Suggestions?

Tony

konttori
2006-01-22, 20:34
0.60 version released.
I dropped the hi res 15 fps modes. They seemed to cause too often problems with audio sync. Also, due to available automatic scaling in 770, aspect ratios have been dropped from the available resolutions. Use any mixture you like. Default resolution has been set to 288x160. Some small bug fixes and UI tuneups. Also code modified to support compilation to 1.4x target (osx users should like this). If you have panther on you mac, please let me know if it works for you.

Changes for the next versions will be: support for mpeg 1 encoding and possible dvd transcoding. Any comments and or wishes are always welcome.

rr0123
2006-01-22, 22:18
Hi, thanks for all your work on this. For the next round, could I make a request that the high res option be put back? There are a bunch of files where I don't care about the sound, and don't even listen to the sound, but I do appreciate the higher resolution (VC fashion show, trailers, etc.). I would imagine some other folks do the same.

konttori
2006-01-23, 13:36
I'll add the higher rez versions back. But as they have worse framerate than 288x160, at least I feel that the 288x160 feels better than the higher rezzes. But ... I hear you and I'll add them back for the next version.

konttori
2006-01-27, 22:29
Media Converter for Nokia 770
Version 0.61

Added one high resolution mode back. Added support for subtitles. Subtitles work currently only in windows, however osx support should be coming along pretty soon. This is just prelimenary version for subtitles and supports only .srt format subtitles. Subtitles must be in unicode format. If avi filename is file.avi, subtitles must be named file.srt. Some minor UI tuneups as well.

konttori
2006-01-27, 22:32
Oh, and direct dvd ripping is not going to happen due to Finnish legislation.

howardhughes
2006-01-28, 05:48
Didn't work for me.

I had tried using Handbrake to convert a DVD chapter directly, but couldn't find a combination that worked (even with downsizing, lowering frame rate, etc. I created a .avi file with MP4 video/ MP3 audio - not sure why it didn't work. All worked fine on VLC).

So I then got Media Converter working on my Mac (OS X Tiger) with help from the forum posts (thanks all). It wouldn't work directly with a Handbrake created file either (I tried many output combinations). So I tried what you suggested. Used QT Pro to convert my Handbrake output (which played fine on QT) to a DV file using the default settings. But then Media Converter failed. Any suggestions or tips?

/K

AleGuy

Make sure that you have the encoder folder in the same folder as Media Converter. The best thing to do is to drag the entire folder that gets unzipped to your applications folder. If you want it to act more like an application than a folder you can use this script as a folder action.

(*(C) 2006 Junio
This Folder Action handler is triggered when the attached folder is opened. It will open the file MediaConverterTiger.jar if it is enclosed within the folder. The effect is to make the folder act somewhat like an application package.

You can remove the comments from the close this_folder section to make it clean up the mess of an open folder, but then you have to dig down using the triangles if you want to get into the folder. Your results might vary.
*)

on opening folder this_folder
tell application "Finder"
activate
open document file "MediaConverterTiger.jar" in (this_folder)
(*close folder this_folder*)
end tell
end opening folder

Invader J
2006-01-28, 20:10
Posted this on the app's page here, but:

.61 isn't working with any of the files that .50 worked with (under OS X) - I get a near-immediate Fail message. I'm trying to convert the usual .avi-wrapped MPEG4 files that I always use... they still convert fine under .50.

Anyone else with this issue?

Biomech
2006-01-28, 21:05
I'm getting the same failure under Windows XP running against files that the previous version successfully converted.

.61 isn't working with any of the files that .50 worked with (under OS X) - I get a near-immediate Fail message. I'm trying to convert the usual .avi-wrapped MPEG4 files that I always use... they still convert fine under .50.

Anyone else with this issue?

konttori
2006-01-30, 22:24
Hi All!

0.62 release:
Fixed critical bug (showstopper from 0.61)

My bad. Sorry for everyone for spending time on a crappy version. New one works.

Hedgecore
2006-01-31, 14:12
Heh don't apologize. Because of your app I spent 4 hours watching movies making the train ride bearable. That's some good work!

konttori
2006-01-31, 15:37
Nice to hear that!

Oh, and talking about apologizing: Aplologies again. I accidentally uploaded the old version of the installer yesterday. But *now* - for real - there is a working version on the site ;)

mikee
2006-01-31, 16:02
Has anyone tried Media Converter with vob files ripped from a DVD? When I do, I get awful audio/video sync problems when playing on the 770. Playing the same file in totem (my desktop video player) works fine, no sync issues. The problem also occurs if I use mencoder directly to encode the files, but the 770 has no sync problems when playing re-encoded mpg's and avi's from other sources (for example archive.org), only the vob's.

Any ideas?

Mike

I see this also, but not consistantly; it seems to be source-specific, and other desktop players than totem (ie, vlc) work fine on the converted files also. I wonder if it's a glitch in the 770 video player? I thought of some other experiments to try (convert the mpeg to real?), but since I haven't got a large memory card yet the problem is still academic for me and I haven't spent much time fooling with it.

NokNok770
2006-02-01, 16:22
I just now started playing with the Nokia 770 video capabilities. I must say that I really had a hard time getting from DVD > Nokia 770. But I think I finally found a way to do it. It's quite a long process though.

1. DVD decrypter
2. Auto GK (gordian knot)
3. Media Converter

I got to run it through all 3 process before I can get a viewable movie on the 770. I got Lord of War converted and the audio was slightly off, but when I rewind and start the movie over the audio matched perfectly. It was two hours long.

Another movie, Stealth. Movie came out perfect, but the audio is all over the place. The audio works fine on the PC though. I think the video came out better because it was a wide screen format and it had black bars at top and bottom therefore having less stress on the 770. It was also two hours.

Converted a music video that was already in AVI to nokia 770. That came out perfectly sync.

I also used nero recode to convert a movie to mp4 with the right resolution. All I had to do was to run it through media converter to get it to avi, but media converter would not take the mp4. It says "fail" right away when I click on "process".

HOW does everyone else convert their movies to nokia 770 format? I would like to know a faster process.

Oh and all 3 videos fit on my 1 gig sandisk. I even had other programs and files on the memory card and still some room to spare.

konttori
2006-02-03, 10:36
Now, I could put the code to allow dvd ripping to MC, but, alas, it is now (since 1.1.2006) illegal to make and / or distribute code that circumvents copy protection in order to make a copy of the source material. Thus I would be braking the law if I added the code there. Also, it is illegal for me to even direct anyone in the way of as how to make such a process. I am, however pondering if it woul dbe easy enough for me to allow direct conversion from such dvd:s that have no copy protection in them. Who knows, there might even be ways for that to be useful for some people.

Concerning the audio offsync, I am not certain here on what is the reason for that, but as the videos are working on PC, it migt be a nokia 770 player problem, or it could be related to videos of the 352x resolution, which are converted in MC for 770 to 15 fps.

What video resolution did you use?

chrwei
2006-02-07, 17:36
would just replacing the mencoder with one that has decss enabled work? will your software allow "dvd://#" as the input file without validation? if not, the feature on your end could easily be added so that people can encode thier home movies and other non-encrypted dvd's. Adding dvd support is perfectly legal as there are many unencrypted dvds to use, distributing decss is the illegal part. if replacing mencoder works, this leaves it up to the user to decide if it's legal for them to use decss and allows it to work

rr0123
2006-02-07, 18:43
The converter works fine with non-encrypted vob files, including ones obtained by using DVD shrink (I do this only for DVDs I own) or ones that come from the DVD recorder I have attached to my Tivo. So it should be just a 2 step process.

The converter is quite fast. I have been very pleasantly surprised by how quickly I could get my video onto the 770. I am accustomed to using Divx, which takes a very long time to convert.

mikelococo
2006-02-08, 00:42
The converter works fine with non-encrypted vob files, including ones obtained by using DVD shrink (I do this only for DVDs I own) or ones that come from the DVD recorder I have attached to my Tivo. So it should be just a 2 step process.

With the caveat that many of the resulting files have badly out-of-sync audio when played back on the 770.

Concerning the audio offsync, I am not certain here on what is the reason for that, but as the videos are working on PC, it migt be a nokia 770 player problem, or it could be related to videos of the 352x resolution, which are converted in MC for 770 to 15 fps.

I can confirm this is not a resolution problem, but I've only seen it occur with ripped vob's that can't be redistributed. I'd love to hear from anyone that has reproduced the bug with a freely distributable file, it would make it possible to file a bug with a reasonable set of steps to reproduce.

Mike

NokNok770
2006-02-08, 05:07
I was having some problems with MC converting mp4 > avi. It seem that MC just say "processing" and no status bar move. I figure it locked up and close the app but when I look at the avi file it was growing in size. So I look at the process and MC was still running. Aparently it ran in the background and finished the conversion. It seems that the more steps you have to get from original to nokia avi, the more likely audio will be off. Right now I got it down to 2 step also. Vob>mp4>avi. I think vob>avi would get better results maybe? I find that if the audio is off, I just press the back button to rewind and the audio is almost right. It is watchable and barely noticeable.

chrwei
2006-02-08, 14:19
you do realize that the avi format that the nokia supports is DivX which is a form of mpeg4 right? if you can get your mp4 file in the right size and bitrate then all you need to do is change the "fourcc" to DIVX (theorecticaly anyway). if your mp4 encoder can't do it, run: mencoder -aoc copy -ovc copy -fourcc "DIVX"

mplayer/mencoder rocks.

mikelococo
2006-02-09, 01:30
Right now I got it down to 2 step also. Vob>mp4>avi. I think vob>avi would get better results maybe?

I'm doing vob to avi conversions without an intermediate format (although I would still call that "2-step" since the video starts out on a DVD, which is ripped first to vob and second to avi), and the sync problems persist. I must admit to being fairly confused as to why you employed an mpg intermediate, but it's probably not the source of your sync problems.

you do realize that the avi format that the nokia supports is DivX which is a form of mpeg4 right?

Many files still need conversion because the 770 can't decode videos with resolutions higher than 352x288, so anything ripped off DVD will need reencoding.

chrwei
2006-02-09, 15:20
Many files still need conversion because the 770 can't decode videos with resolutions higher than 352x288, so anything ripped off DVD will need reencoding.
hence my "if you can get your mp4 file in the right size and bitrate" comment. BTW, mencoder can take it right off the dvd, no "rip to vob" step, at least on linux.

NokNok770
2006-02-09, 20:37
Can you guys post some tips on how to get vob to avi straight without having to go through too many steps...I would definitely appreciate that tip cause I don't know how to do it myself. In fact I would like to know how everyone does it...maybe we all can learn something.

I realize that divX is a type of mp4 but it does not play it straight on the nokia 770, I've tried.

Nero recode will encode a movie straight to mp4 of the right size and bitrate if you manually adjust it in the advance settings.

chrwei
2006-02-09, 23:02
has anyone tried running this on a linux amd64 system yet? I keep not having time to try it at home and I've got nothing here at work to rip.

just tried, it "runs" but lots of people are having a problem getting to actualy encode something, and I'm one of them :/

so far I'm sticking with my modified version of menc ( http://www.noid-project.de/menc/menc.html )

konttori
2006-02-18, 17:21
Version 0.70 18.2.2006

0.70:
- Improvements on subtitle handling.
- Improvements on errorconsole behaviour.
- SRT subtitles are supported in UTF-8 and ANSI encodings. Unicode format is not supported.
- Added font check to subtitles. Pops up error console if font is not found.
- Added encoder check. Pops up error console if not found.
- Support for NO AUDIO. Leads (maybe) to better playback performance. At least smaller video size if no audio is needed.
- New video resoution 288x208. Comments needed on which resolutions are the best. Too many options now.
- Dropped frame cap from 352x208. Comments needed if revert to 15 fps cap for that resolution is needed.
- Compiled for java 1.4 target. If problems with java 1.5, let me know.

I will do my best to get this to work on linux target as well. It's really not a big thing. Just the call to mencoder. At the moment the call is made in rundirectory/encoder and it calls ./mencoder there. So you'd need to put the mencoder there to run it. Recommendations?

partridge
2006-02-22, 15:23
Version 0.70 18.2.2006

0.70:

I'm having some problems on OSX. It converts fine, but I can only do one file at a time. If I do multiple files, when it starts encoding the second file it overwrites the first one.

konttori
2006-02-22, 17:43
I'm having some problems on OSX. It converts fine, but I can only do one file at a time. If I do multiple files, when it starts encoding the second file it overwrites the first one.

Thanks for the comment. I'll look into it.

uNtouched
2006-02-25, 19:15
I don't know why, but I'm having a lot of failed converts, and mencoder errors. I'm running Java 5.06

marwan
2006-02-26, 21:39
why is it that everytime i install Media Converter on my PC, run it, it it runs "Nokia Application Installer" instead? ;(

this is wierd!

konttori
2006-02-27, 08:50
why is it that everytime i install Media Converter on my PC, run it, it it runs "Nokia Application Installer" instead? ;(

this is wierd!

You are probably missing java installation from your computer. You can get java from here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

konttori
2006-02-27, 11:32
New release folks.

0.72: 13:27 27.2.2006

Fixed critical bug that made user unable to process many files on one go (required restart between files).

OSX and windows versions have been updated.

janjansenbe
2006-03-02, 04:58
Hi,

After downloading the Media Converter 0.72 and converting (Video Resolution 288x160 DIVX, Video Bitrate 384, Audio Bitrate 64) succesfully a movie resulting in the following details :

- 288x160 pixels
- audio (1:35:38 hh:mm:ss), 66kbps, mpeg layer-3
- video 23 frames/sec, 24 bits, DivX codec

I copied the converted and working .avi file towards my rs-mmc card located in the Nokia 770.

When starting the video player and selecting the converted file, the total play time and size is correctly recognised, but when selecting the file to play, it results in the following error (within the Video Player) :

Unable to open. File format not supported.

Can somebody tell me what could be the problem ?
Do I have to install additional software on the Nokia 770 ?

Thanks in advance, Jan

konttori
2006-03-02, 07:53
Do you have the latest firmware? This is just a guess, but it might have something to do with the resolution (288x160). Or it might have something to do with the 23 fps (although I doubt it). Or it might just have something to do with the video player being quirky. Are you able to open the given ice age video at the moment? Sometimes video player just starts to refuse to open anything. Restart helps (maybe something else as well).

Oh yeah. I remember reading about some firmware version fixing some aspect ratio issues, so if you have an old one, that might also be the case.

konttori
2006-03-02, 09:35
has anyone tried running this on a linux amd64 system yet? I keep not having time to try it at home and I've got nothing here at work to rip.
just tried, it "runs" but lots of people are having a problem getting to actualy encode something, and I'm one of them :/

so far I'm sticking with my modified version of menc ( http://www.noid-project.de/menc/menc.html )

There is now a version that supports Linux. I have tested it on Ubuntu Breezy, but I see no reason for it to not to work on any platform. It relies on pre-installed mencoder, so that translates to support for 64 bit version as well. Go grab it while it's hot! (oh, and if you have problems with it, please let me know).

janjansenbe
2006-03-02, 13:56
Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

I have to apologize myself. During lunch time, I performed another test, ... and now it works, it works very good in fact.

The reason of the error was the following :

When starting such a huge movie, you have to wait for some time before it actually starts playing (I wasn't aware of that background loading process). If you press on some buttons in the meantime, it can happen that you receive an error like 'Unable to open, ...'.

Conclusion, the Media Converter is working fine ! The Nokia 770 behaviour is great ! You just need to be patient for a while before the movie actually is loaded into memory.

Cheers, Jan

jayholler
2006-03-03, 04:31
ok,i have a question related to the system requirements for mac osx. i am running 10.3.9 which apparently will never see the j2se 5.0 version of the java environment. do i need to upgrade to 10.4 in order to use the media converter? i'm really disappointed by the news that j2se 5.0 will not be available unless i upgrade. i'm perfectly happy with 10.3.9.

konttori
2006-03-03, 07:06
ok,i have a question related to the system requirements for mac osx. i am running 10.3.9 which apparently will never see the j2se 5.0 version of the java environment. do i need to upgrade to 10.4 in order to use the media converter? i'm really disappointed by the news that j2se 5.0 will not be available unless i upgrade. i'm perfectly happy with 10.3.9.

The current version targets java 1.4, so as long as you have the latest java that you can get from the updater for your 10.3.9, you should be just fine. I'll go and update the requirements. The java 5 requirement is not current anymore.

jayholler
2006-03-03, 12:50
The current version targets java 1.4, so as long as you have the latest java that you can get from the updater for your 10.3.9, you should be just fine. I'll go and update the requirements. The java 5 requirement is not current anymore.

I see, well thank you for getting back to me so quickly. This forum is really nice, and everyone is generally so helpful. Good times.

Now I just need to figure out how to use ctorrent, or hope an easier torrent client comes along for the 770. I would really like to convert the pilot episode of Conviction (new show by Law & Order creator) to put on the 770, but DRM won't let me!

tbuzali
2006-03-04, 03:33
You should add a target size feature. (calculates frame rate and audio bitrate depending on your target size.)

osxmg
2006-03-04, 14:05
Hi,

at home I've got a Dreambox 7000 Satelite Receiver with Harddisk.
It's a great box (running linux as well) which has a 100 MBit-card.
It's great to record some movies and burn them on DVD.

The .ts-Format is very similar with mpeg but the sound is in another file. Creating a DVD can be done without demuxen.

I now would like to transfer some movies to my nokia 770. Has anybody done so?
I tried several video formats and resolutions.
But I don't know what's the best format / resolution and what's the best sequence:

- Convert .ts to Avi (or what ever)
- Resize
- use MediaConverter to COnvert Avi to DivX

What's the best tradeoff between filesize, quality and time to convert?

What resolution and formats is mostly used for TV-movies?
(For example it would be great to carry some small movies (each 20 min.) arround for my kids to watch in the car).

Thanks for any help

Mark

konttori
2006-03-13, 12:41
New version released!

0.75 17:52 9.3.2006

Changed VHW encoding to use the following settings: :mbd=2:trell=yes:v4mv=yes:
Should improve quality of the 2 pass encoding.
Also added 352x144 and 352x160 resolutions. Both of them seem to provide nice looking video and good framerate.

Chainsaw76
2006-03-13, 15:05
When trying to download I get "File Not found" Has the link changed from the first post?

-Jason

konttori
2006-03-14, 00:38
When trying to download I get "File Not found" Has the link changed from the first post?

-Jason
yep. go to thesoftware section of this site to dl.

redwards12
2006-03-14, 01:03
:confused: Do you know of a way I can convert video captured by my Windows media center to the 770? The media convertor doesn't convert the dvr-ms file formats that the media center creates.

ilblog
2006-03-14, 20:53
Hi

Even when I have reinstalled my JVM on my computer several times I am not able to launch Media Converter. Are there any other free programs for converting videos for N770.

Due to the specs. it is only about decresing size and bitrate.

konttori
2006-03-14, 21:21
Hi

Even when I have reinstalled my JVM on my computer several times I am not able to launch Media Converter. Are there any other free programs for converting videos for N770.

Due to the specs. it is only about decresing size and bitrate.

Is that java 1.4 or java 1.5 compliant jvm?

You can also open it in command prompt with command java -jar MediaConverter.jar. Naturally while located in the installation directory.

ilblog
2006-03-14, 22:20
Is that java 1.4 or java 1.5 compliant jvm?

You can also open it in command prompt with command java -jar MediaConverter.jar. Naturally while located in the installation directory.

I have Java 1.5. After launching Media Converter, by clicking icon, or by launching from command prompt, I see Media Converter window with title "media converter" and also with Java icon in upper left corner. But content of window is empty. I thing the problem is solely with my JVM on my computer.

I was able to launch Media converter on my slow travel notebook succesfully where I have discovered one interesting bug. I tried to conver all episodes of Futurama. I have also used option "Save converted files to", which resulted in following funny bug. Media converter converted all episodes of Futurama well, but every folloving episede, contained previous episode also. So it means, that first episode was 74Mb big, second was 150MB big and so on. And the last episode and file contained all previos episodes together. (I have version 0.70).

konttori
2006-03-17, 13:52
I was able to launch Media converter on my slow travel notebook succesfully where I have discovered one interesting bug. I tried to conver all episodes of Futurama. I have also used option "Save converted files to", which resulted in following funny bug. Media converter converted all episodes of Futurama well, but every folloving episede, contained previous episode also. So it means, that first episode was 74Mb big, second was 150MB big and so on. And the last episode and file contained all previos episodes together. (I have version 0.70).

In interested in this. The bug was introduced in 0.70 if I remember correctly and it should be fixed by now, but could you check which version of MC you have on your laptop. Thanks!

ilblog
2006-03-17, 13:59
I will check and let you know.

ilblog
2006-03-17, 21:41
So It seems that on my laptop is version 0.70 but I am a little bit confused about this:

1) The about.txt file has following header
Version 0.70 18.2.2006

2) But inside Media Converter in dialog box "About..." is a title text stating version 0.65

3) In the same dialog ox in a text below is stating that version is 0.60

So I thing, that version is 0.7 and U just forgott change version numbers in other places of the program :-)) Jar filesize is 51 018 bytes if you want to be sure which version number I use.

BTW I got Media Converter work on my home computer. The problem was definetlly in JVM. Media Converter always worked, but Java Window didnt show widgets so I have just seen an empty white window. I accidentlly minimized this window, and then opened it agoin and problem was solved. JVM redraw the window and I have seen wonderfull Media Converter.

Thanks for program.

dandrewk
2006-03-18, 00:05
Greetings - I have not had any success using Media Converter thus far. Every file I try to convert looks like it is processing ok, but then ends with "fail". I have had the same bad luck in the XP and the Linux versions. Here is what the error console reads:

Starting to process files...
0Processing file: C:/Images/MPGs, AVIs/Tahoe.AVI
Subtitle not found:C:/Images/MPGs, AVIs/Tahoe.AVI.srt
Converting video C:/Images/MPGs, AVIs/Tahoe.AVI
First pass:
Return: 1
Second pass:
2nd pass return: 1

Any help greatly appreciated!

ilblog
2006-03-18, 20:04
Hi

I use Media Converter on two computers. On my slow laptop, where it runs perfect, and on my home computer. On my home computer very strange behaviour of my JVM occurs. I have reinstalled Java Runtime several times, deleted all Java config files and registry settings and installed Java again and again, but unfortunatelly there is something terriblly wrong with my Java.

Media Converter starts, but the window is white. Only accidentally when I overlay window and experiment with mnimazing and maximizing window, Java will draw content or part of content of the window. You can see it in on picture.

Other Java programs also work strange on my computer and have similar behaviour, but at least they work.

Have someone any clue, what could be rong with Java on my computer?

rr0123
2006-03-20, 00:22
Greetings - I have not had any success using Media Converter thus far. Every file I try to convert looks like it is processing ok, but then ends with "fail". I have had the same bad luck in the XP and the Linux versions. Here is what the error console reads:

First pass:
Second pass:

This happens to me now with the latest version. Prior versions worked fine. Anyone help?

konttori
2006-03-20, 07:37

First pass:
Second pass:

Looks like the problem is due to space character in your directory name of MPGs, AVIs. If you rename that folder to be MPGs,_AVIs, the MC should work. Having said that, I will try to fix the space character issue asap.

konttori
2006-03-20, 07:55
Fixed.

0.76 version now fixes the problem with space characters in filepath.

dandrewk
2006-03-20, 20:25
konttori - well, I am a step closer. :) I tried the XP version, and the process never got past "processing." The progress bars were both at 100%. Here is the error console:

Encoder not properly configured.Starting to process files...
First pass:

note - if I do another file, the text is the same, but without the "Encoder not properly..."

Simon
2006-03-20, 20:37
This happens to me now with the latest version. Prior versions worked fine. Anyone help?
I am finding the same thing. I haven't tried reconverting things I have already done to see for certain that some things fail now though.

Simon
2006-03-20, 20:54
Ah, I wasn't on the latest version sorry. That seems to work fine.

redwards12
2006-03-21, 00:07
:confused: Do you know of a way I can convert video captured by my Windows media center to the 770? The media convertor doesn't convert the dvr-ms file formats that the media center creates.

:confused: :confused:

Do you know of a way I can convert video captured by my Windows media center to the 770? The media convertor doesn't convert the dvr-ms file formats that the media center creates.

gultig
2006-03-21, 01:04

Do you know of a way I can convert video captured by my Windows media center to the 770? The media convertor doesn't convert the dvr-ms file formats that the media center creates.

The tool you are looking for is here (http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx). I guess that dvr-ms files are really just mpeg files??

BTW - Are you in AZ?

dandrewk
2006-03-21, 21:26

Check my post on the how-to:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651

rr0123
2006-03-21, 21:48
The updates made in .76 fixed it!! Thanks!

redwards12
2006-03-22, 01:22
The tool you are looking for is here (http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx). I guess that dvr-ms files are really just mpeg files??

BTW - Are you in AZ?

I'm trying it as we speak....Thanks

No, I'm in Kansas :rolleyes:

konttori
2006-03-23, 14:18
The updates made in .76 fixed it!! Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that!

konttori
2006-03-23, 15:18
New version available:
Comments are welcome!
0.77 17:11 23.3.2006

Modified so that all files are saved to a new directory "770" instead of adding to the filename.
Support for Preview mode. Encodes only 30 first seconds of the video file.

konttori
2006-04-09, 20:43
New version!
0.80 23:20 9.4.2006

New features that are based on existing ideas by Jaffa.
- Added support for mono sound (toggled automatically for 32 kbit audio)
- Added support for optimized video.

What is optimized video?

For starters, it means, no black borders at the top and bottom, which means 15:9 aspect ratio.
What else, it means that MC automatically crops the source data to fit to the 15:9 aspect ratio.
Unfortunately this may have downsides as well.

Optimized view is still a bit of a beta, but you should get excellent results with it (like 352x288 resolution looks stunning!)

aflegg
2006-04-10, 07:24
Thanks to konttori for taking my ideas up so quickly.

They've come from a command-line Media Converter I'm working on which supports all the above features but is also "preset"-based. These presets are known to output video which is guaranteed to work on the 770.

Currently, the two presets I've got are:

"smallest" which outputs mono, 32kbps audio with a video bitrate of ~80kbps and an image size based on a 224px width. This results in video at less than 1MB per minute.
"best" which outputs stereo, 128kpbs audio with a video bitrate of ~400kbps and an image width of 320px. This results in video around 4MB per minute.

Suggestions for other presets are welcome. The theory is that it should be impossible to generate video from the tool which refuses to play on the 770.

The script also works out the best framerate, handles frequency conversion etc. I've attached the current version (requires mencoder & Perl, but works on Mac OS X and Linux, at least).

Cheers,

Andrew (aka Jaffa)

Coolty
2006-04-10, 09:51
when will a gui for us windoze users be out? ;)

jlim51
2006-04-11, 09:40
hey - soz im a bit new here

but i couldnt get the file converter to work

i installed it onto windows xp and installed the latest java

i have tried Avi, mpeg and wmv files

the total progress just goes to 100% but there is no created file anywhere?

konttori
2006-04-11, 13:21
hey - soz im a bit new here

but i couldnt get the file converter to work

i installed it onto windows xp and installed the latest java

i have tried Avi, mpeg and wmv files

the total progress just goes to 100% but there is no created file anywhere?

Apparently there is some sort of bug in the version. I will look into it in 2 hours time and release a patched version.

jlim51
2006-04-11, 13:48
cheers -thank you :) :D

mjkmjk
2006-04-12, 11:30
same error here

total progress jumps to 100%, nothing happens... v0.80...

konttori
2006-04-12, 17:03
same error here

total progress jumps to 100%, nothing happens... v0.80...

The odd thing is that I just tested it on windows and linux by downloading the package from the web and installing it and it worked on both systems just fine.

I *DID* have a small bug for a period of time in the 0.80 release, which I quickly fixed and didn't add a new version number for that.

It might be that you have downloaded that version.

Did you try in the optimized or in normal way?

jlim51
2006-04-12, 17:05
can u add the link now then to the version that we should be downloading? - i seem to have version 0.77 :confused:

konttori
2006-04-12, 17:30
Found the bug. Sorry for doubting you. It was related to automated mono mode for 32 kbps audio. Fixed version will be up in just a moment.... Stay tuned.

jlim51
2006-04-12, 17:32
wicked stuff - ur the dude :D :D

konttori
2006-04-12, 17:42
0.85 20:34 12.4.2006

Modified the look of the converter a bit. Comments are very welcome. Dropped support for destination folder. The default folder of filepath / 770 should be pretty good, but again, if you have objections, just let me know. If I'll re-implement that, the directory will be put to a separate preferences window.

A bug fixed, which made it impossible to convert to 32 kbps audio stream. Now 32 kbps defaults to mono sound. That way the sound quality is comparable to 64 kbps stereo (but only in mono).

jlim51
2006-04-12, 17:53
sorry to be a pain - but im still getting the same 100% progress jump with the 0.85 version -sorry.

any suggestions. i have the newest java and tried an avi file

konttori
2006-04-12, 18:37
sorry to be a pain - but im still getting the same 100% progress jump with the 0.85 version -sorry.

any suggestions. i have the newest java and tried an avi file

Ok, I gotta ask you: What OS do you have?

Also, has anyone else (besides me) got 0.85 working?

bebaer
2006-04-12, 19:07
Hello Great job, 0.80 (0.77 on programme) worked good on my XP Pro + SP2 system, Then I had a crash of my system, started again and made a second try , the same problem than some persons: directly gone to 100% without converting nothing.
I tried then the new one 0.85 and it's the same: directly gone to 100%, nothing to do even while changing source video or re-installing media-converter or re-installing java runtime...
It's a pity because the program was very promising
Sorry for my English, but I'm Frenc ;-)

jlim51
2006-04-12, 19:22
Ok, I gotta ask you: What OS do you have?

Also, has anyone else (besides me) got 0.85 working?

windows xp with sp2

i downloaded the latest Java 2 version - but it says its Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)

bebaer
2006-04-13, 08:08
I installed the soft on another computer and had the same result: 100% convert immediatly and nothing... Then I tried to rename the video to convert in something simple without special characters...And now it works :-)

Puke
2006-04-13, 10:14
I tried installing on another computer and other operating systems (windows and ubuntu), with the same result. The 100% Progress. :confused:

takumikai
2006-04-14, 00:59
There is a fix for the 100% Completion Error. It's on the other thread (the one you download).

Puke
2006-04-14, 15:57
I cannot find the fix you are talking about...
Maybe a quote or link?

Puke
2006-04-15, 00:12
Oops :D Found it!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/software/fileinfo.php?id=16&page=3

konttori
2006-04-17, 10:21
New version. Should help the lives of anyone using MC.

0.90 13:03 17.4.2006

Fixed problems with (again) filenames with spaces in them. Bug was introduced in 0.80 when doing the optimized video. Dropped seemingly unneccesary video resolutions. Added support for setting bit rate when changing resolution (will result in a default setting for the resolution). Modified the fps to be either full fps or half fps. This should improve audio sync for the high resolution videos.

Simon
2006-05-04, 19:55
New version. Should help the lives of anyone using MC.

0.90 13:03 17.4.2006

Fixed problems with (again) filenames with spaces in them. Bug was introduced in 0.80 when doing the optimized video. Dropped seemingly unneccesary video resolutions. Added support for setting bit rate when changing resolution (will result in a default setting for the resolution). Modified the fps to be either full fps or half fps. This should improve audio sync for the high resolution videos.
Hmmmm, I just downloaded .90 at home and it wouldn't convert a mpg I have (the Eric Prydz Call On Me video which is very, very nice by the way :) ). It just completes the 2 passes almost immediately and says fail. I bought the file into work where I have .72 I think and that converts it fine. I can do some playing later at home to see if it is the spaces in the film name messing it up.

Simon

konttori
2006-05-05, 06:30
New version released. Supports dragndrop and seems to have fixed problems with people who weren't able to encode using 0.90.

Dragndrop tested and working on linux and xp, but seems to not to work on OSX yet.

Thanks for Simon jansen and David Carbonell for helping to weed out the bugs in this one.

New version number is 0.95.

If you use osx and dragndrop works on your comp, I'd really appreciate if you contacted me.

takumikai
2006-05-05, 09:21
Can someone get me the older version? The older version seemed to be better because of the resolution settings. I don't have it anymore because I replaced the setup file. Thank you very much!!!

konttori
2006-05-05, 09:35
Which resolution settings are you missing the most?
I can add those if needed.
I have just dropped them because I thought nobody used them.

c_legaspi
2006-05-05, 13:21
konttori, you rock! Your MC works on my win2k and the output on the nokia is excellent.

jlim51
2006-05-06, 09:12
:D :D DUDE you Rock - it finally worked for me - and this thing is Awesume - i wud buy u a beer - if u lived near ;)

1 question though - did u say it can convert quicktime MOV files - cos it seemed to try to do it - but then output them as MOV files too :confused:

cheers anyways though - can finally watch all the music videos on my 770 :D

Simon
2006-05-06, 09:54
1 question though - did u say it can convert quicktime MOV files - cos it seemed to try to do it - but then output them as MOV files too :confused:
Convert it then rename the .mov to .avi that seemed to work for me.

jlim51
2006-05-06, 09:56
Convert it then rename the .mov to .avi that seemed to work for me.

o yeah - i read about that before but forgot about it - thanks ffor reminding me

Score - it works :D :D :D - no sound though :confused:

next challenge wud be to be able to select the range in which to convert - ie from seconds 0 to 300 so it only converts like the first 5 mins - or whether u want it to convert from :D - only a suggestion :D

takumikai
2006-05-06, 18:22
I like watching my movies in full screen. For the videos I encode, I used 352 x 208 15fps
Video Bitrate 512
Auido Bitrate 128
High Quality Conversion (2 pass)

I don't use the 30 sec. preview or optimize for 770 full screen.

The videos are in 640x480.
I'm positive they worked with the v0.85...

Anyways... Keep up the good work!~

Jerome
2006-05-10, 15:40
I'd like to try the OSX version, but I can't seem to download it. The message is:
"You don't have permission to access /~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterOSX.zip on this server."

Thanks for checking...

konttori
2006-05-10, 16:26
Permissions are fixed now.

Jerome
2006-05-11, 05:22
Thanks a lot. I just downloaded it.

Jerome
2006-05-11, 19:27
In the mean time, I have had the possibility to convert a movie from mov (mp4) to the nokia avi format using the osx version and it worked. NTSC format (24p) to high quality, half rate. 2 hours, end file about 500 MB.

The avi sound will not be heard using quick time on the mac, however. But maybe this is normal.

c1261015
2006-05-12, 13:06
Perhaps can anyone post some converted movie samples under software-multimedia-video-samples...

Thanks

daverup
2006-05-20, 17:38
I have had trouble with all recent versions of MediaConverter under OSX due to subtitle handling. This I believe is probably not the fault of MediaConverter, but due to some poorly encoded movies.
Would it be possible for MediaConverter to have a selection somewhere for ignore subtitles, or ignore subtitle errors.
I have been able to use the memcoder throught the command line to convert video, but that isn't much fun.
Thanks
Dave

konttori
2006-05-20, 22:33
I have had trouble with all recent versions of MediaConverter under OSX due to subtitle handling. This I believe is probably not the fault of MediaConverter, but due to some poorly encoded movies.
Would it be possible for MediaConverter to have a selection somewhere for ignore subtitles, or ignore subtitle errors.
I have been able to use the memcoder throught the command line to convert video, but that isn't much fun.
Thanks
Dave
i'll add a checkbox for subs tomorrow. btw:finland won eurovision!!!!!!!!! so unbelievable!!!!

daverup
2006-05-20, 23:42
Great! Thanks for all your efforts!

konttori
2006-05-21, 09:27
Ok. New version has been put to the server.

Download that and test if the subtitle checkbox allows you to skip any problems with subtitles.

Subtitle support works at the moment only for windows pcs. It's only missing the path and filename for a font that's available on all macs. I put the subtitles to use arial font on windows. What would be the best font on osx for subtitles? What is the path (and filename) for the font?

daverup
2006-05-21, 14:08
New version avoids my problems with subtitles, thanks.
As far as fonts, I don't know what would be best.
I think the standard font dir would be:
/Library/Fonts/

In this dir I have:
Arial Rounded Bold
ArialHBBold.ttf
GujaratiMT.ttf
Brush Script
Optima.dfont
Copperplate.dfont
Baghdad.ttf
NewPeninimMTInclined.ttf
Times New Roman
Sathu.ttf
EuphemiaCASRegular.ttf
EuphemiaCASItalic.ttf
Arial Narrow
Kai.dfont
CorsivaBold.ttf
HelveticaCY.dfont
华文楷体.ttf
Comic Sans MS
Skia.dfont
Silom.ttf
Arial Black
Chalkboard.ttf
Nadeem.ttf
ArialHB.ttf
MshtakanRegular.ttf
NISC18030.ttf
GenevaCY.dfont
GillSans.dfont
Impact
MshtakanOblique.ttf
Andale Mono
Ayuthaya.ttf
KufiStandarGK.ttf
CharcoalCY.dfont
Raanana.ttf
Papyrus.dfont
Song.dfont
MarkerFelt.dfont
HelveticaNeue.dfont
Hoefler Text.dfont
华文宋体.ttf
华文仿宋.ttf
Courier New
AmericanTypewriter.dfont
Georgia
Corsiva.ttf
EuphemiaCASBold.ttf
NewPeninimMTBold.ttf
InaiMathi.ttf
Cochin.dfont
Fang Song.dfont
NewPeninimMTBoldInclined.ttf
PlantagenetCherokee.ttf
Herculanum.dfont
ChalkboardBold.ttf
儷宋 Pro.ttf
NewPeninimMT.ttf
MshtakanBold.ttf
GujaratiMTBold.ttf
AlBayan.ttf
Zapfino.dfont
Verdana
Trebuchet MS
Thonburi.ttf
BigCaslon.dfont
Arial
Apple Chancery.dfont
DevanagariMTBold.ttf
DevanagariMT.ttf
Webdings
Baskerville.dfont
DecoTypeNaskh.ttf
Didot.dfont
Futura.dfont
BiauKai.dfont
RaananaBold.ttf
Krungthep.ttf
AppleMyungjo.dfont
MshtakanBoldOblique.ttf
Apple Symbols.ttf
AlBayanBold.ttf
Gurmukhi.ttf
Apple LiSung Light.dfont

konttori
2006-05-21, 17:46
I have now updated (again) the OSX version. Could someone with OSX be so kind as to test it for me and try to convert some video with subtitles?
Subtitles need to be in srt format (I think that's the most common one).

zoglesby
2006-05-21, 18:19
Ill try and give it a shot when I get home tonight konttori.

konttori
2006-07-02, 15:59
New release folks!

It's a bit of a beta, may have some audio sync problems (I haven't had the time to test with a long file whether id does or does not).

The great news is that a) osx version is universal binary and b) media converter now includes color enhancement.

Now, what is that? On 770 the videos seem to be a bit too gray and dead. So, I added a fileter that will add a bit more contrast and quite a bit more saturation to the video. Results are great, must admit.

So, withour further ado, please go ahead and try it out:
windows: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/setup.exe
osx: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterOSX.zip
linux: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterLinux.zip

Version number is 0.99

=DC=
2006-07-02, 16:57
Well, I can personally say that the Linux version of the Media Converter works great. No sync problems at all. Great work konttori!

jj_ib
2006-07-02, 19:09
Hi all,
the Media Converter looks great, but I have so far been unable to perform a single successful conversion. My AVIs gives me a "fail" and the wmv and mpg runs for between 11 and 37% and then it freezes my machine.
I'm using Java 1.5 on an XP machine. Would anyone have a suggestion for what's wrong?

konttori
2006-07-02, 20:56
Try making a conversion of this file:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/288x160sample.avi

If it goes well, then the problem is a bit in the files you are converting. Not saying that they are bad, but I've noticed that MC sometimes is not able to give the progress information on all videos. Thus, you could try making a 30 sec preview of them or letting your computer run for say 3h when you are trying to make the conversion.

bamse
2006-07-03, 01:56
i got a bunch of static using the default settings in os x, 10.4.7

konttori
2006-07-03, 06:12
Now, I feel silly. I just realized that I had published the same old version. Sorry about that.
Updates are available here:
Windows:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/setup.exe
osx: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterOSX.zip
linux: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterLinux.zip

Also, concerning the static, it might be that the universal binary isn't working on powerpc cores then. But just to make sure, could you bamse try out also making a conversion of the http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/ff7-sample352x288.avi
flick and tell me if conversion of that is working for you. You could send me an email so that I could try to send you some test material.

update! Fixed links!

johsua
2006-07-03, 06:55
Your links have the ... in them...

=)

konttori
2006-07-03, 07:24
Cool. thanks. I fied the links now.

johsua
2006-07-03, 07:34
I forgot to say:

thank you for such a nice (and severely needed) application!

mccake
2006-07-03, 23:14
wondering if we can boost the volume of the orginal sound level in later version.
Cheers.

konttori
2006-07-04, 08:46
I'll add it to the next version. As I don't know how much it should amplify, if someone with the need could pop me a message and I can then send a test version to tune the amount of gain needed.

aflegg
2006-07-04, 09:04
There's a volume normalisation option you can pass to mencoder. I can't remember what it is OTTOMH, but I'm doing this in 770-encode (http://bleb.org/software/770/#encode).

HTH,

Andrew

konttori
2006-07-04, 11:21
Sounds like a good idea, thanks andrew. I've added now some gain and the normalization filter. If someone with files that they think are too low, could contact me, I could send a test version to them.

mccake
2006-07-04, 14:03
konttori,
Yes I got one. That's why I asked.

ITom
2006-07-04, 15:53
konttori,
First of all I would like to say 'thanks' for enc.color function, it's working perfect. Picture much better (mostly it can be seen on dark scene).

Can you tell, is were any difference beetwin Windows and Linux verion?
I ask because in Lin-ver at result of convertion 23FPS video file I get 15FPS (352x288), but in Win-ver 11.5FPS only :(

Is it possible to add a text.box sub-window (as ex.: advansed setting) for edit parameters, which Media Converter send to mencoder?

(win-platform - WinXP_SP2_ENG_32bit - 1.8GHz Turion CPU / lin-platform - Ubuntu 6.06 - 1GHz Pentiun III)

konttori
2006-07-04, 20:16
Nice to hear that you like the color enhance feature. Do you think it's too strong? I'm a bit in between of tuning it down a bit. Not sure. Also, would it benefit from more gamma or brightness? I'm been too busy doing other stuff to have the time to really try it out with videos.

They are exactly the same, but mencoder that they use might not be the same. Media Converter is supposed to use half fps (for 352 resolutions) if it's able to detect the source video fps, but 15 fps if not. Apparently this halving *should* give more reliable audio sync than using 15 fps. I haven't had the luxury of being able to investigate it further. Comments on this subject are very welcome.

As to the advanced settings, well, ... you might as well make the call in a command line if you want to tweak the call. You can use the error dialog to see what calls are made. Now, I might add a feature that would print out just the calls to the error dialog for easier editing.

andras
2006-07-04, 21:26
but for some reason I get a "Forbidden" error when trying to download the OS X version from the most recent set of links in the thread. Did I miss something earlier in the thread about downloading?

Thanks,
Andras

runestone
2006-07-04, 22:06
First thanks for a great app, mister!

I'd like to know if you could tweak VOB encoding so that the aspect ratio will be correct when played back on the 770?

cliph
2006-07-04, 22:06
Hey, great app, I used in on Linux today and it worked perfectly. I've tried to download the OSX version but I'm getting permission denied, as I see at least one other posted has already mentioned.

Ceklund
2006-07-05, 03:04
It's probably way impossible to get this encoding program actually to work ON the 770 itself? There is now a P2P program for the 770 called "Nicotine" and we can download movies right on the 770 now! It actually works, and it works really well, and doesn't crash like you would expect since Kazaa and other P2P's on the PC's caused them to slow to a halt and crash, and one would expect even further problems on a little handheld. P2P on the 770? I just can't believe this. :D

Since the 770 is my only computer right now, it'd be nice to be able to convert the videos on the 770 itself. However, I am guessing that this would require all of those codecs to be installed on the 770, which in effect would negate the need for this software to be ON the 770 in the first place!

What we need ARE more codecs! Isn't there anyone out there who is trying to assemble a team of hackers to port codecs for the 770? Or am I only dreaming here?

:p Ah well, say "LA Vee" and let bygones be gone. :rolleyes:

Ciao.

konttori
2006-07-05, 07:34
but for some reason I get a "Forbidden" error when trying to download the OS X version from the most recent set of links in the thread. Did I miss something earlier in the thread about downloading?

Thanks,
Andras

Permissions are fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

ITom
2006-07-05, 09:41
kontorri,
They are exactly the same, but mencoder that they use might not be the same. Media Converter is supposed to use half fps (for 352 resolutions) if it's able to detect the source video fps, but 15 fps if not. Apparently this halving *should* give more reliable audio sync than using 15 fps. I haven't had the luxury of being able to investigate it further. Comments on this subject are very welcome.
as i so in Error Console it revers: if it detect source FPS it put 15 (in lin), if not - half (in win). I think that it problem of mencoder, because in win it also does not detect SSE1,2,3DNOW... In Linux all Ok.

LINUX
Execution conversion with: mencoder "/home/igor/video/11.avi"
-oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:dark_mask=0.2:aspect=15/9:keyint=250:vbitrate=512:trell=yes:v4mv=yes:vpass =1 -vf crop=0:0,scale=352:288 -idx -ffourcc DIVX -ofps 15 -endpos 00:00:30 -o /home/igor/video/770/11.avi

WINDOWS
Execution conversion with: mencoder.exe "D:/My Documents/My Videos/11.avi"
-oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:dark_mask=0.2:aspect=15/9:keyint=250:vbitrate=512:trell=yes:v4mv=yes:vpass =1 -vf crop=613:368,scale=352:288,eq2=1.0:1.2:0.0:1.7 -idx -ffourcc DIVX -ofps 11.99 -endpos 00:00:30 -o "D:/My Documents/My Videos/770/11.avi"

Concerning changing Brightness, Contrast and Gamma... My opinion to change gamma only, because it make changes in lightness shadow, but not change Dark and Light objects. As exampe to 1.5

cliph
2006-07-06, 00:10
Also, concerning the static, it might be that the universal binary isn't working on powerpc cores then. But just to make sure, could you bamse try out also making a conversion of the http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/ff7-sample352x288.avi
flick and tell me if conversion of that is working for you. You could send me an email so that I could try to send you some test material.

hi there, I've done a test conversion using the clip found at the above link and found that, yes, I do get static. The audio is garbled in all my conversions made on OS X.

bamse
2006-07-06, 00:50

There's static after the conversion of your clip as well. You're right, I have a PowerPC. The two clips I tried to convert were WMV and mpeg 3 I'll send you a PM regarding e-mail address.

runestone
2006-07-06, 05:51
I start to beleive that it is a bug in the new OS2006 video player. When playing converted file in Win XP without problem and in Nokias own player I get green artifacts on some edges and on big bright areas.

edk4971
2006-07-06, 23:59
I'm getting static too, on powerpc running osx trying to convert some mp4 files that i got from handbrake (dvd ripper)

btw, the static happens if i play in vlc/quicktime/or on the 770 itself, and it isn't just a little static... the audio is pure static, no usable sound at all

java *shouldn't* care what processor it is running on, did mencoder change at any point?

the program has actually never worked for me but I've only had the 770 for about a month, did you happen to change the mencoder version around that point?

konttori
2006-07-07, 06:06
Apparently the universality of the universal binary is questionable. I'll put today a powerpc version online.

edk4971
2006-07-07, 14:44
thank you much good sir, where will we be able to find it? your site, here, or maemo garage?

konttori
2006-07-10, 09:17
Could someone download mplayer disk image for me, zip and send me the the mencoder file from it?
http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayerOSX_1.0pre8.dmg

urho.konttori at gmail dot com

I can then add it to the osx package.

ITom
2006-07-10, 10:38
konttori, file send, but (sorry i'm forgot) not in zip. Difference in size 320 Kb only. Hope it is not problem for you. If you did not receive it i'll send it again...

bamse
2006-07-15, 19:41
How's it coming along konttori?

Ceklund
2006-07-15, 22:54
I would like the Media Converter to have an option to grab only a certain portion of long videos. There could be one slider for each end that we drag to the minutes/seconds we want to start at, and the other side to end at.

Additionally, there could be a checkbox to turn the part being grabbed into the part being skipped if you wanted to KEEP the ends but not the middle. This would be a simple, elegant solution to give us the power to render videos from long clips with wasted portions we don't want not having onto go on our tiny mmc's.

Thanks for your time.

konttori
2006-07-19, 18:22
Media converter 1.0 updated to the files section of this site. Feel free to download the windows installer from there.

Ceklund: I'll consider adding start end slider. Maybe into some advanced features tab.

edk4971: mac version has now universal binary mencoder, which apparently doesn't work on g3/g4 processors. So much for universality. Or perhaps you guys have panther and it needs tiger. Go figure. Anyway, I have lost the powerpc mencoder and haven't been able to extract it from a .sit file laying on my desktop. *sigh*. I just hate stuffit packs. If you need to get it working, send me an email, I'll send you the .sit file, you extract it and send me the mencoder file. A deal?

bamse
2006-07-19, 18:34
I can't find an mencoder file after installing or mounting player. Where is it? I can't e-mail you through the site either. The link just takes me back to the home page. I'm on a G5 and am using Tiger BTW.

konttori
2006-07-19, 18:38
urho.konttori@gmail.com

bamse
2006-07-19, 18:46
okay, I sent you a mail.

konttori
2006-07-19, 20:59
Cool.

You can download the powerpc version from here:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterPOWERPCOSX.zip

gfxman
2006-07-26, 00:49
I'm getting a " fail " message tryng to encode, what i'm doing wrong ?

delaroca
2006-07-28, 11:57
Cool.

You can download the powerpc version from here:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterPOWERPCOSX.zip

Thanks, I can report it works... I am a newcomer to the thread and to the Nokia 770 and for the last couple of days I got tripped over the bad audio being generated by the universal binary of mencoder -- I am running on a G4 PPC Powerbook.

Any possibility that you may offer options in Media Converter to go from a VIDEO_TS folder to a suitable .avi file for the 770?

Best Regards,

-- Denis

mucfloh
2006-07-31, 16:20
hi everyone,

after having installed the "mac os x"-version which produced crisp video but only loud and static sound i installed the "powerpc"-version on both a g4 powerbook and a g5 imac - resulting to get the error message "fail" on both systems (10.4.7)

what shall i do?

thanks in advance

mucfloh

konttori
2006-07-31, 16:24
hi everyone,

after having installed the "mac os x"-version which produced crisp video but only loud and static sound i installed the "powerpc"-version on both a g4 powerbook and a g5 imac - resulting to get the error message "fail" on both systems (10.4.7)

what shall i do?

thanks in advance

mucfloh

Are you trying to convert dvd stuff?

mucfloh
2006-07-31, 16:31
Are you trying to convert dvd stuff?

no, actually i was trying to convert very different free small videos but with all of them the message occurs...and with the macos-version it works but with bad sound...

mccake
2006-07-31, 16:41
Since the mplayer is in a very good shape now, not sure if konttori can create an option to generate a single-pass encoded DivX, 352x240 @ 25fps as reported by Nickster.

konttori
2006-07-31, 19:22
Hmm.. is mplayer now capable of full rate 352x240 video? I've been away a week or so and suddendly such progress! I tried mplayer in its initial stages two weeks ago or so. But if it's as good as you're saying, then, definately, I will add that tomorrow!

I'll download mplayer now and make a few quick tests. Although, if 352x240 is possible, I'd rather make the video at 400x240 if possible (nice for pixel doubling - sharp video)

konttori
2006-07-31, 19:23
About the mac sound bugs: Could you send me an email with such videos attached? I'll try with my wifes macbook.

aflegg
2006-08-01, 09:09
770-encode (http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#encode)'s "best" option now features full rate video on the normal Nokia player at 352x208 (full screen).

HTH,

Andrew

konttori
2006-08-01, 09:38
Andrew, have you tested full rate on 352x208? When I tested it, 770 seemed to not to be able to cope with fast paced scenes. Do you recon it should be able to handle that?

mplayer naturally handles that easily.

mccake
2006-08-02, 09:35
Tried mplayer with a video of 352x208 with 25 fps and 1 pass encoding. Works perfectly. I only did a very short clip yesterday and I will try out a full length one tonight.

konttori
2006-08-02, 09:42
Tried mplayer with a video of 352x208 with 25 fps and 1 pass encoding. Works perfectly. I only did a very short clip yesterday and I will try out a full length one tonight.

Yeah, mplayer seems to be even able to render 400x240 at almost full speed, although I've had sync problems at that resolution. Did you have any audio sync problems at 352x208?

I'm temted to get 400x240 working though, as that is a brilliat resolution. It's the optmal resolution for 770 really.

If I have just a little bit of time today, I'll release MC 1.1 with additional support for mplayer video (and quite a few other improvements as well). If not, it will just have to wait a few days more.

mccake
2006-08-02, 11:18
Yes. there is audio at 352x208 and you can set mplayer to have framedrop. So it will drop some frames during playback.

konttori
2006-08-03, 19:58
New version with better framespeeds, improved video size detection, improved opitimized view cropping, new resolution 400x240 for mplayer testing and a slightly modifiew UI.

All this and more (no, really that's it... just had to say) in MediaConverter 1.10. This version has been tested only by me, so in case something is amis, please send me an email about it to urho.konttori@gmail.com.

Windows : http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterWindows_setup.exe
OSX Intel: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterINTELOSX.zip
OSX PowerPC: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterPOWERPCOSX.zip
Just the update (50 kb): http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterUpdate.zip
Linux: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/MediaConverterLinux.zip

nbcthreat
2006-08-04, 12:06
I get "failed" when I use this on Ubuntu.

Here is the output from the command line. Don't know if this helps or not. I tried various options checked and unchecked, but it always fails.

Pre-processing resolution string: [V] filefmt:3 fourcc:0x44495658 size:704x432 fps:25.00 ftime:=0.0400
resolutionString:704x432
resolution704x432 Convertedx: 704 y:432
fps25.00

konttori
2006-08-04, 12:16
I get "failed" when I use this on Ubuntu.

Here is the output from the command line. Don't know if this helps or not. I tried various options checked and unchecked, but it always fails.

Pre-processing resolution string: [V] filefmt:3 fourcc:0x44495658 size:704x432 fps:25.00 ftime:=0.0400
resolutionString:704x432
resolution704x432 Convertedx: 704 y:432
fps25.00

So, it looks like mencoder itself is working as it is able to get the file information. Could you try to put the full tracing on and test again. And send the output to my email address. Let's debug it then together.

konttori
2006-08-04, 18:08
Linux and Osx versions have just been updated after I found out that priority option was messing the conversion.

So, in case you just downloaded the latest version and now have found out that it's not working... well. just re-download the latest version.

Ceklund
2006-08-05, 18:49
mplayer naturally handles that easily.

What is mplayer? Is it for the 770? I can't find it, if so... where can I download mplayer, if for the 770?

Thanks!

konttori
2006-08-06, 15:06
Mplayer is indeed for 770.
You can download it from:
http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/files/MPlayer-1.0pre8-20060721-armel.tar.gz

See: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405&page=1
thread for more information on mplayer.

Tweak
2006-09-10, 09:04
FYI: The about version is still listed as 0.99 on the windows package.

BladeD
2007-07-25, 18:45
Every link I click on is out of date.:( So where is the link for Media Converter?

This link, http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverter/Media%20Converter1.2_windows.exe.zip, doesn't work.

jweinel
2007-07-25, 19:28
This worked for me and still seems to be valid:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/download.php/1272/Media_Converter_Windows_1.43_setup.exe

I got the link from this page:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=26

giuliastro
2007-07-29, 20:59
I tried latest Linux version available on garage.maemo but it doesn' seem to work.
Java applet loads fine, and I am able to set all options. But when I try to convert some files the applications goes right away to 100% and nothing gets done.
Trying this on a Ubunt box.

Any help is appreciated.

tcornishmn
2007-07-29, 23:01
I am having a similar problem - I have Unbuntu Feisty with the new Sun-Java JRE package, and the application seems to work correctly, but it doesn't convert sometimes.

What I have found is that if I choose something other than MPlayer Optimized it works, but when I choose that setting, as the poster above noted, the progress bar goes immediately to 100% and no file is generated. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in the error log - the text is:

Processing file (0): /path to my input file

That's it. I've tried full trace as well as normal.

tcornishmn
2007-07-29, 23:52
A little more information:

First of all, I have an n800.
I'm running Media Converter 1.43 on Linux.

Also, upon further digging, I suspect Media Converter is not finding or reading the resolutions.txt file, since the resolutions in the drop down window don't match the resolutions in the file. On my machine, they are in the same folder as each other - I unzipped the archive and ran the jar file from a folder on my desktop.

I can get pretty much any other combination of settings working other than the MPLayer optimized. The audio and video sync seem fairly close - not sure why they aren't exact. They work better in MPlayer than in Canola for me. Canola works ok until I try to play full screen, then the audio is way out of sync.

Thanks!

tcornishmn
2007-07-30, 00:03
Wow - perhaps I should do a little more troubleshooting before flooding the list with stuff.

Here is what is going on, at least for me:

It seems that Media Encoder expects to be in the user's home folder, probably because that's the default Java working folder. There it creates a text file called settings, and presumably there is where it expects to find the resolutions.txt file.

When I copy the resolutions.txt file to my home directory, everything works.

I'm not much of a programmer, but it would seem to be a good idea to fix the default folder problem in some way - perhaps there could be an install.jar file that would create a Media Converter folder somewhere and put all of the files together?

Also, in it's current state, the file "settings" is pretty generic, and could cause trouble if some other program tried to make a file called settings. I would suggest changing the name to Media_Converter_Settings, or something less generic.

Anyway, it seems there's an easy fix here - I'm just not sure the best way to do it permanently.

Thanks again for a great program!
TJ