PDA

View Full Version : I love my n900

extendedping
2010-06-23, 16:00
Confession it is my first smart phone, so I may have rose colored glasses. I know there are limitations. I also wish it was 4 inch screen.
I also wish the darn - key and / key were stand alone and not in the middle of the screen.

but what I can't get over is that I have linux in my pocket. and honestly, I am even happier with free debian. I last night installed ssh server/client, sendmail and apache, and did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade from within free debian and (knock on wood) nothing broke.

I can see how someone would hate this phone/device that did not care bout linux in their pocket or did not want to learn programming (I see pretty recent python and perl in free debian). but for what it is...this is really a cool device. and the only thing of its kind. well till the meego release that is...

StOoZ
2010-06-23, 16:03
i totally agree!!!

Frappacino
2010-06-23, 16:08
based on your linux background and expectations, this really is the uba phone for you - so yea you are the idea customer for it.

extendedping
2010-06-24, 05:35
but boy does tmobile seem to suck in jackson heights new york. can't even get remotely close to watching a youtube video, and within 2 miles of my house I have yet to see the data connection register 3g :(

rich c
2010-06-24, 05:50
Yup, having all that flexibility and Linux power to hand all the time more than makes up for any petty niggles. I've had my N900 for a while now and STILL love it! :cool:

Tedri Mark
2010-06-24, 06:01
i love mine too! Never had a linux machine before, so it's not so much that, more the netbook in my pocket aspect i love! Plus with the homebrew community it fills the void left when i got rid of all my high end amiga setup..

DonPIZI
2010-06-24, 06:30
I love my N900 too. As I heared (2009) that there will come a smartphone running with linux OS, I MUST buy it. Before I owned a 5800 and I learned to hate the symbian s60 5th.
Iīve had installed Linux on my (overclocked (http://www.sysprofile.de/id84958)) Pc a few times, but it donīt support some of my hardware and I mostly use it to play games.
However, I give linux always a chance, because I just like it. And now I always have linux with me.