PDA

View Full Version : N900 price drops again...

techngro
2010-06-24, 04:21
I am not surprised, but I am a little disappointed. I was really hoping that the price of the N900 would stay around at least 400 until the fall.
I have a sneaking suspicion that I am gonna lose a couple hundred on this little device when I sell it later this year to get a WP7 phone. But i'll be glad to get rid of it anyway, so I guess it's a trade-off.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/nokia-n900-drops-to-369-unlocked/

Bundyo
2010-06-24, 06:35
Well, that happens in US only... and you'll probably lose more for the WP7 phone ;)

noipv4
2010-06-24, 07:41
I know how it feels. sucks .... but on the flip side, we will have a wider user base :)

aligatro
2010-06-24, 09:18
Maybe they are trying to get rid of N900's ?

redman
2010-06-24, 10:42

I think it is more a case of people find it too expensive / less interesting when renewing their mobile account...

When I renewed this week, the guy in the store seemed happy when I told him I wanted a N900 ("thank God, now we are freed from the thing that lied around so long") :D

afaq
2010-06-24, 10:46
its so cheap I want to buy another one!

vivek5000
2010-06-24, 12:02
India is not as lucky as US is as far as price drop is concerned.. Here Nokia priority dealers are charging exorbitant price. The current price is Rs.28000 (USD 610) and there is no drop is prices as the N900 is selling like Hot Cake in India.. I guess it is to do with the fact the there are more tech savvy people in India who love N900..

maxximuscool
2010-06-24, 12:11
What's the point of trying to get more customers this way? When people knew about the MeeGo is coming and won't be on the N900? Seriously i think the support for the N900 is getting less and slower everyday gone passed. If MeeGo is made available on N900 then I reckon they won't have to keep lowering the price down but people will be getting it because the N9 is more expensive.

cashclientel
2010-06-24, 12:12
iPhone 4 release and N900 price drop on consecutive days - you do the maths buddy.

Sure this has been mirrored by other handsets as manufacturers get rid of old stock to make room for the new things in the post iPhone 4 apocalyptica.

What quality of person will these new budget N900 owners be? Either a lot of students with spare time and skills to expand the community, or a lot of whiners expecting an iPhone/Android equivalent and being disappointed.

Cthulhu
2010-06-24, 12:22
@OP:
If you buy a WP7 phone, the "couple of hundred" you might loose when selling your N900 is absolutely nothing compared to the features, speed and stability, not to mention the openess, you also loose.

In fact, if you buy a WP7 phone, I consider you lost. ;)

schettj
2010-06-24, 13:01
I am not surprised, but I am a little disappointed.
It's a phone, it's not Stock. Actually, I think its value is holding up pretty well when compared to the stock market :p

gerbick
2010-06-24, 13:11
About a $200 price drop from the release... not bad at all.

Harred
2010-06-24, 13:16
It's a phone, it's not Stock. Actually, I think its value is holding up pretty well when compared to the stock market :p
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he meant stock as in the products they have on hand.

lsolano
2010-06-24, 13:20
Maybe sales have slow down because people before buy read this forum and realize that there are still quite many things missing in a 7month old device.

sjgadsby
2010-06-24, 13:22
About a $200 price drop from the release... not bad at all.

I hesitated for some time before taking advantage of the DDP offer. I rather expected the retail price to be lower than the DDP price by the time I had to return my summit loaner. I was happy to be wrong.

rm42
2010-06-24, 13:23
Ah, the coupon doesn't work any more. I was trying to pull someone away from the dark side. ;)

sjgadsby
2010-06-24, 13:25
Ah, the coupon doesn't work any more. I was trying to pull someone away from the dark side.

Last week Dell offered a coupon that brought the price down to $399. This week it was $369. There's no telling what next week might bring, but it would be the time for some Independence Day deals, so another coupon is possible.

2010-06-24, 13:52
That's really a good deal then, given the hardware specification of N900...

lucas777
2010-06-24, 14:02
I went into Vodafone Australia today on the Gold Coast at Robina town centre they now have the phone in stock out right price is $899

Dancairo
2010-06-24, 14:57
you do the maths buddy.
just a thankyou for the s :D

techngro
2010-06-24, 15:08
@OP:
If you buy a WP7 phone, the "couple of hundred" you might loose when selling your N900 is absolutely nothing compared to the features, speed and stability, not to mention the openess, you also loose.

In fact, if you buy a WP7 phone, I consider you lost. ;)

LOL. You mean the "feature" that its media player can't even remember the playback position of podcasts or videos? Yeah, this device is so OP that I can hardly stand it. Really.

I do agree with another poster that the hardware of the N900 is pretty damn good. But what good is good hardware if the OS is buggy, unfinished and lacking features?

As for the WP7 devices, since MS has set minimum specs (including a 1GH Snapdragon and 8MP camera), I don't think I'll be regretting the move. Not to mention the awesome MS Zune media software that's gonna be integrated.

So please, don't start talking crap about WP7. We haven't seen a device yet, but I will bet you my firstborn son that the N900 will not even be on anyone's mind in a few months. The phone market will have a new iPhone, new WP7 devices, new Android devices. And what will you be getting? No Meego, no more support from Nokia with all their attention turned to the N8, and the N900 will still not be able to remember the playback position of podcasts and videos.

Goddamn. That was such uber-pwnage.

schettj
2010-06-25, 00:59
Goddamn. That was such uber-pwnage.

from the future, no less ;)

Yep, those WM7 phones from 2011, they're much better than the n900 from 2009 :)

Laughing Man
2010-06-25, 01:03
Err.. the media player does remember the playback position of the last played video (though not podcasts). But Panucci does that, and it's nicely integrated with gpodder. You should see what thp has in the works with the gpodder server. :D

As for Meego, you can already install the (command line) version of it on the N900. And the handset UX is suppose to be out and installable to the N900. You might have meant no official commercial support for Meego. As in you can't call Nokia or go to a store and expect them to help you with Meego on the N900.

wmarone
2010-06-25, 01:12
As for the WP7 devices, since MS has set minimum specs (including a 1GH Snapdragon and 8MP camera), I don't think I'll be regretting the move.
They even set minimum specs including no external storage and you aren't allowed to load software from anywhere but their store. So awesome, I love it when they insist on claiming ownership over devices I buy.

Laughing Man
2010-06-25, 01:30
As long as they're not actively pursuing jailbreakers like Apple (through silly applications of the DMCA law), I don't suspect it to be a problem.

wmarone
2010-06-25, 01:33
As long as they're not actively pursuing jailbreakers like Apple (through silly applications of the DMCA law), I don't suspect it to be a problem.

The problem is that people have to "jailbreak" at all. Of course, Apple (and I'm sure MS) would prefer you spend time and effort jailbreaking and writing software for their platforms, than pushing for and supporting those that don't force you to fight them for control.

Laughing Man
2010-06-25, 01:35
I agree, I don't think people should have to "jailbreak" at all. In fact I think all companies should just do a novice and expert mode.

Novice = what Microsoft and Apple are currently doing

Expert = Let go of the restrictions and let me take care of my own device. If I use the battery up cause I'm multi-tasking 5 or 6 apps or I'm stupidly installing apps then fine. Hell refuse to give customer service to people with their devices in Expert Mode until they reflash them back to normal or whatever.

But sadly, that's only in a perfect world.

HeavyComponent
2010-06-25, 01:41
Bought my N900 for $130 from a friend. Great condition, but 6 months old. He bought it in Dec. 2009. BEST phone I ever had!!! :D

2010-06-25, 01:41
from the future, no less ;)

Yep, those WM7 phones from 2011, they're much better than the n900 from 2009 :)

I always wonder why people would settle for WM7 while WM8 is obviously much better than WM7?

Strive for the best and settle for none man XD

breakd0wn
2010-06-25, 09:34
That post is very misleading.

That was a temporary coupon code.

Its actually $399 if you wanted to buy it today, which is still a great price.

Nokia usa is charging $479. I paid $569 in early feb.

The n900 has already been out for 8 months now.

techngro
2010-06-25, 14:58
They even set minimum specs including no external storage and you aren't allowed to load software from anywhere but their store. So awesome, I love it when they insist on claiming ownership over devices I buy.

Honestly, I really don't think that storage will be a problem. There is a min of 8GB of storage, but I think that will be for the lower end devices. The flagship phones will have 16 Gigs or more for sure. And that's good enough for most.

But it's really not the hardware that I care about. I learned that after owning the N900. The hardware could be great (which it is with the N900), but if I get frustrated every time I pick up the device to do simple things, or if I HAVE to hack the phone just to get it to work properly, then it's not a good product. As for not allowing other software. Big whoop. I'm sure someone will hack WP7. And make everyone happy.

I know what you're gonna say. "You can do so many more things with the N900. You can remotely control the Space Shuttle Atlantis." Well that would be a great BONUS if I could just get it to do the simple stuff I need it to do on a daily basis.

So I learned my lesson. From here on out, the first thing i'm gonna look at is the OS, and then comes the hardware considerations.

I'm growing wiser with each passing day...

gill_za
2010-06-25, 15:27
You are contradicting yourself:

First you say you need a device that you dont want to hack to do simple things for you. Then you say someone will hack WP7 phones and make Everybody happy.

Make up your mind. And besides, why are you even here if you dislike n900 so much. Are you a masochist?

Rushmore
2010-06-25, 16:19

We have a winner. Nokia (at least North America, anyways) is bleeding this device out. It did not sell well in the US, due to poor marketing and app / OS support.

Nokia made little effort with Maemo 5 and rely too much on the graces of home devs. Nokia did say the N900 was a stepping stone- just not how short the step was.

added:

Unless Meego and the next Nokia device is some amazing device with both great hardware and software support (apps, etc), I will not buy another Nokia device. Luv the N900 for media and MAME, but as a phone is it very weak to my Incredible. Heck, the G1 was a better smartphone, IMO.

Then again, I am with Verizon now, so may be be default.

Laughing Man
2010-06-25, 16:26
I think the problem is the Maemo team said this is step 4 out of 5. A stepping stone to what's suppose to be consumer ready.

Marketing and the rest of Nokia responsible for distribution heard: "it's close enough (1/5th of a step away!) to consumer ready to sell"

woody14619
2010-06-25, 16:31
I am not surprised, but I am a little disappointed. I was really hoping that the price of the N900 would stay around at least 400 until the fall.

I've never understood this concept. When I buy anything, be it a candy bar, a phone, or a car, I don't expect the value to hold or go up. You purchase something to use it, and that use, from the instant you drive it off the lot or walk it out of the store, devalues the item. If something holds or increases it's value, it's usually a temporary anomaly that's not sustainable long term. (Lots of US home owners are discovering this just now...)

The one exception is if you pay money to maintain it and/or repair it, it may retain it's initial value. (That's why homes and classic cars can seem to retain their value, for example.) But when you tally the purchase cost and maintenance costs, you still won't be able to sell it for enough to get your total investment back.

Why would you expect a used device to have any value after months or years of use? I wouldn't expect a new device in a box on a shelf to hold it's value at that level, yet alone a used one. Doubly so for a tech device, with the progress we're seeing in that arena right now.

Rushmore
2010-06-25, 16:47
I've never understood this concept. When I buy anything, be it a candy bar, a phone, or a car, I don't expect the value to hold or go up. You purchase something to use it, and that use, from the instant you drive it off the lot or walk it out of the store, devalues the item. If something holds or increases it's value, it's usually a temporary anomaly that's not sustainable long term. (Lots of US home owners are discovering this just now...)

The one exception is if you pay money to maintain it and/or repair it, it may retain it's initial value. (That's why homes and classic cars can seem to retain their value, for example.) But when you tally the purchase cost and maintenance costs, you still won't be able to sell it for enough to get your total investment back.

Why would you expect a used device to have any value after months or years of use? I wouldn't expect a new device in a box on a shelf to hold it's value at that level, yet alone a used one. Doubly so for a tech device, with the progress we're seeing in that arena right now.

Great perspective, though the presumption is this device was up to par when launched and how it was marketed.

Nokia pushed the heck out the N900 being a computer in the pocket and also the Flash in the browser. It is failing at both in less than one year of life, since neither will be supported much if at all. Apps are slow to none, were it not for the few we get from home devs and the Flash issue is best laid to rest.

superg05
2010-06-25, 17:01
the price has been dropping for 2 weeks there probably trying to clear them out for there meego stock then dc it NLT

woody14619
2010-06-25, 17:07
Great perspective, though the presumption is this device was up to par when launched and how it was marketed.

I think it was up to par, as advertised. It's done everything it said it could do on the box and in the manual when I got it. (In fact, it can do more now, which is quite nice.) There were a few minor bugs, but most of them have been fixed, and none were show stoppers.

Nokia pushed the heck out the N900 being a computer in the pocket and also the Flash in the browser. It is failing at both in less than one year of life,

I still have a computer in my pocket, and Flash in my browser. How exactly is it failing at both? They never promised it would dynamically keep up with the computer market as devices got faster... nothing does. And they never promised it would have eternal software updates either, though they've had 4 in under 8 months, which I think is outstanding. Again though, it's still doing what it said it would...

Apps are slow to none, were it not for the few we get from home devs and the Flash issue is best laid to rest.

The few we get from home devs? There are lots of apps out there, tons. Considering most Java/J2ME apps also work now (thanks to two of those "few home dev apps") the base is pretty large. Larger than most older phones that had native J2ME support. :)

That's one upside of having a pessimistic view of things. If things do improve or get better, even slightly, it's a pleasant surprise. If not, then you were right to be pessimistic. :) Having an optimistic view is great in the beginning, but you can really only go down-hill from there.

I think most of the problem here is that people had high expectations based on random tech-blog chatter. The device is not going to float out of your pocket and become a sentient companion, handling all your social and networking needs. It does what it does, and it's still doing it pretty well. If you expect miracles out of anything, you're going to be sorely disappointed most of your life.