PDA

View Full Version : N900 Working Bluetooth Mouse

azerty1
2010-06-29, 20:33
I had been hoping to have this working properly (in an acceptable form) for a while, I know that once paired you can actually "move" the mouse arround if done very very slowly; supposedly, doing xorg.conf modifications would take care of the sensitivity problem but even though I tried I couldn't make it be any less sensitive, at the same time you can't click at anything, seemingly only the wheel generates click events. So since it hasn't worked for me I tried a different approach and here it is..., it's not 100% perfect, but still, much better than the joke that it was.

DISCLAIMER: THIS SOLUTION COMES AS IS, IT COMES WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER EXPRESSED NOR IMPLIED, TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, ALTERING YOUR DEVICE WILL DEFINETLY GIVE YOU SOME GRIEF. EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH THIS PARTICULAR SOLUTION, I HAVE HAD TO REFLASH MY DEVICES SEVERAL TIMES AFTER GETTING, FOR INSTANCE, REBOOT CYCLES WHILE TRYING CUSTOM KERNELS. YOU COULD END UP LOOSING ALL YOUR CUSTOMIZATIONS AND APPS OR WORSE, SO BE SURE TO BACKUP FIRST AND KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE'S DATA LOSS OR WHO KNOWS WHAT OTHER RISKS INVOLVED.

Requirements:
- WARNING! WARNING!: Make sure you have your Internet Connection set to automatically connect to WiFi and also make sure that you have installed and configured SSH server and also make sure that you can connect to your device using an SSH client prior to trying this. In the event of something going wrong (like loosing both touch and keyboard) this is the only known way to rescue your device without having to re-flash your rootfs. If you're doing this procedure manually make sure that you're doing this as 'root' and double check that the new 'evdev_drv.so' looks good inside '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input' before rebooting.
- As pointed in post #29 (thanks jackspost!) it is best to unpack the tarball inside your /home/user directory in order to be able to execute 'xsetroot' and the other scripts; if unpacked inside MyDocs, the default mask is missing execution permissions (and you can't change them using chmod) so you would be getting "permission denied" errors.
- Root (Install rootsh from App. manager)
- Paired Bluetooth Mouse (You'll have to enable the HID profile, refer to http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsupported_Bluetooth_profiles)
- Tested with PR 1.2 stock kernel, no idea how it would behave under a different configuration

Attached you will find a new evdev_drv.so that should take care of properly handling your bluetooth mouse (hopefully most mice), you need to have root (rootsh) in order to replace the original file. You can use the provided "install.sh" script or here's how to do it manually (assuming you unpacked everything in /home/user/):

sudo gainroot
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input
mv evdev_drv.so evdev_drv.so.orig
cp /home/user/N900-BluetoothMouseSupport/evdev_drv.so .

The following needs to be done in order to have mouse pointer visible in some places, namely text boxes, and it might be a requirement to have full cursor visibility (described later).

cd /usr/share/icons/default/cursors
mv transp trans.orig
cp /home/user/N900-BluetoothMouseSupport/arrow transp

Now reboot. Once your mouse connects to your device (move, click, your Bluetooth icon should turn blue) you should have a more consistent behavior, you won't see a pointer just yet, but trying moving your mouse all the way up and left, then try left clicking, you should get the dashboard or app. menu. Now, do you want to see the cursor? Open notes, it should be visible in the white text area, clicking doesn't work as expected here, this still needs some fixin'. Do you know where it works very nicely?, Easy Debian (thanks for your hard work here qole!), it's a nice experience I tell you, left-click, middle-click, right-click all of them work as they should, drag and drop works just fine too..., connect a bluetooth keyboard, plug to your TV and you've got yourself a truly portable Linux computer!

And last, but not least, Full Mouse Pointer Visibility.

apt-get install libxmuu1
cd /home/user/N900-BluetoothMouseSupport
./xsetroot -cursor_name arrow

You should now see the arrow anywhere you touch or anywhere you move your mouse pointer to ;-) Having this is just great, you can go in and out of your regular Maemo applications, for instance App. Manager, browse the list, just drag with left-click, or use the wheel..., click, click, and done, click dashboard, go to media player, start some song or video while your applications are being installed, click dashboard, click conversations, have a little chat..., etc. Very cool..., the only place where things just doesn't work is the Web Browser, it's definitely handling thigns differently here, click and right click work OK in the address bar, but they don't in the actual browser area, and it should be just a trick because I have had clicking working in there before I'm just not sure how, perhaps someone might find out.

When you'd like to hide the pointer just do this:

./xsetroot

NOTE: You can also use the provided 'showmouse'/'hidemouse'.

Known Issues:

- Sometimes (especially after the screen goes to sleep) the pointer is stuck in the left-top corner and it won't move from there, just click once and it'll move normally again.
- Scroll wheel doesn't work in the app. menu, hold left click and drag, it's apparently just not supported here.
- Under some circumstances while moving the pointer it might lag to catch up (i.e. keep doing circles at medium speed). Do sequential (not constant) moves and it won't bother you, will try to fix this soon. BTW, if you're in a heavy WiFi zone (lots of APs, or whatever that uses 2.4 GHz, microwave oven, cordless phones), this behavior might be related to interference as I have noticed.
- The cursor isn't visible while over the browser area (I guess their large, ugly cursor takes precedence?), still shows in address bar and the top bar. The following is workaround suggested by freemangordon (thanks!), post #24:

edit following line in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox
/usr/bin/matchbox-window-manager -theme $THEME -use_dialog_mode static -use_cursor yes &

- It is not possible to click inside the browser either, even though you can click in the address bar and the buttons on the sides. The only thing that kinda works ATM inside the browser area is zooming in/out, by holding your left-click and doing circles clockwise/anti-clockwise. Trying to fix it..., but they really made it hard for the mouse to work here..., if the mouse just worked as well here as in maps..., why mess it up!? good grief...
- You don't want to use your laptop anymore :-)

See this working on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNz4uM-29Q

UPDATE: Trying to improve/fix things, I'll create a poll with the items that are being taken care of, please vote for the ones you want to have done sooner.

I'm glad you guys are liking this, thanks for your support and the nice things you're saying! I do really appreciate it! I'm trying to reply to posts as much as I can..., hang in there!

akashbhavsar
2010-06-29, 20:38
Sounds great! I'm gonna try this... :)

antezz
2010-06-29, 20:42
May i kiss you? >: )

mohannad
2010-06-29, 20:44
Welcome to the forum and thank you for this amazing effort!

rajil.s
2010-06-29, 21:07
What brand of bluetooth mouse are you using?

quipper8
2010-06-29, 21:12
amazing work. thanks so much

quipper8
2010-06-29, 21:16
For an extra 2 or 300 dollars, every single new TV out there should have something like this integrated into it

here comes meego....

ZogG
2010-06-29, 21:24
that's the way we all should write the first post. thank you.

Tinnet
2010-06-29, 23:56
This somehow made it impossible to use the touchscreen. and since bluetooth and wifi arent turned on automatically I am left without a solution to revert back to defaults. hmm :/

azerty1
2010-06-30, 01:35
This somehow made it impossible to use the touchscreen. and since bluetooth and wifi arent turned on automatically I am left without a solution to revert back to defaults. hmm :/

Sorry to hear about your problem, but this solution shouldn't interfere with the touchscreen at all, I have been testing this for days and haven't had any issues, I'm using stock kernel, so if you're using something different, although unlikely, it might be the problem.

As for a possible solution to your situation, at first, when I was experimenting with several approaches I lost touch input several times, and my WiFi connection was also set to "Always ask" and bluetooth off or useless..., workaround? press Ctrl-Shift-x on your N900 and you should get a terminal, revert to your old driver and try to find out what might be wrong...

Now, if you did the changes manually and the evdev_drv.so file was named differently, your keyboard might not work either, in this case the only solution I know is to reflash rootfs, if someone knows how to get access to rootfs on a device in this condition (or even better, when it waiting to be flashed) it would be great to know.

Perhaps you could try putting it in R&D mode, it does some wonders from time to time with its "oh so cool" black magic.

imperiallight
2010-06-30, 01:42
Great! Has been on my sig wishlist for ages!!

Tinnet
2010-06-30, 02:12
Thanks for the answer.
Indeed keyboard does not work either, and im not able to use the flasher lol (ubuntu and w7 both x64). Guess i'll have to lend an x86 machine tomorrow.

DarkShadowSwE
2010-06-30, 09:50
my logitech mouse dont seem to work , :/

F2thaK
2010-06-30, 10:05
someone needs to *.deb this !

GREAT WORK SON!

freemangordon
2010-06-30, 10:26
- Under some circumstances while moving the pointer it might lag to catch up (i.e. keep doing circles at medium speed). Do sequential (not constant) moves and it won't bother you, will try to fix this soon. BTW, if you're in a heavy WiFi zone (lots of APs, or whatever that uses 2.4 GHz, microwave oven, cordless phones), this behavior might be related to interference as I have noticed.

This could be because bt hid driver has buggy sniff mode support, later i will post patches i have made to my n900 to overcome the issue, so you can try if it solves it

- The cursor isn't visible while over the browser area (I guess their large, ugly cursor takes precedence?), still shows in address bar and the top bar.

while playing recently with my bt mouse, i found that if you open a site containing flash then cursor appears in browser and remains there until reboot.

P.S.

I am not using your solution to use bt mouse,so above may not be your case. I use much simpler approach to show the cursor, so will will post further details/instructions when I am back to my home desktop

Farooq
2010-06-30, 10:48
Will the mouse cursor work on conversations?
and which one is the best BT mouse for this

Regards

Bec
2010-06-30, 14:31
Well done! I've been really waiting for this :D

azerty1
2010-06-30, 16:21
my logitech mouse dont seem to work , :/

Does your bluetooth icon turns blue once you move/click your mouse? If it doesn't it could be a pairing problem, try installing bluez-compat and then go to terminal as root and try manually connecting to your mouse using its address "hidd --connect 00:00:00:00:00:00"

Could anyone report success? Just want to make sure it's working for someone else besides me.

azerty1
2010-06-30, 16:25
Will the mouse cursor work on conversations?
and which one is the best BT mouse for this

Regards

I gave it a try and it does work in conversations.

I don't know, I would expect that any mouse works well, I have tried Microsoft and Logitech mice with success.

azerty1
2010-06-30, 16:56
This could be because bt hid driver has buggy sniff mode support, later i will post patches i have made to my n900 to overcome the issue, so you can try if it solves it

while playing recently with my bt mouse, i found that if you open a site containing flash then cursor appears in browser and remains there until reboot.

P.S.

I am not using your solution to use bt mouse,so above may not be your case. I use much simpler approach to show the cursor, so will will post further details/instructions when I am back to my home desktop

Somehow I got the pointer to appear on the browser, but lost it after showing and hiding their large cursor, couldn't make it reappear even after going to youtube and playing a video... BTW, are you able to click/right-click scroll in the browser with your bt mouse? My guess is that it only reacts to BTN_TOUCH and ignores all the others... I'll need to try a few other things.

rebelnoob
2010-06-30, 17:48
if an application is available in extras-devel i would try!!

asys3
2010-06-30, 19:02
I just installed the mouse driver, connected my bt mouse and saw the arrow.
But I can't move it :mad:

Is there a device created by the driver on which I can do a tail or cat?
So that I can see if there comes any input from my bt mouse?

Regards,
asys3

smoss
2010-06-30, 19:44
€hampion!! This is awesome!!!! hope it works with quake 3

freemangordon
2010-06-30, 19:50
Somehow I got the pointer to appear on the browser, but lost it after showing and hiding their large cursor, couldn't make it reappear even after going to youtube and playing a video... BTW, are you able to click/right-click scroll in the browser with your bt mouse? My guess is that it only reacts to BTN_TOUCH and ignores all the others... I'll need to try a few other things.

Maybe it is because the method you are using for showing up the cursor. You can try this instead :

edit following line in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox
/usr/bin/matchbox-window-manager -theme $THEME -use_dialog_mode static -use_cursor yes &

Assuming you already have changed transparent cursor to good one then above should give you visible mouse cursor even in moving dots screen(right after reboot). It disappears after a while (hildon desktop hides it) but opening a site with flash (not sure if you need to open flash in full screen, but give it a try) should restore the cursor even in browser. Did not investigate this further, but seems great adobe product sets root X window cursor to its own.

Re your question - I am not able to use mouse in microb, and it seems that not only BTN_TOUCH event is expected, but some pressure threshold too. Recently I was on the way of modifying evdev so instead of BTN_MOUSE a BTN_TOUCH event to be generated on left click, but didn't have time to do it :( .

Please find attached archive with bluetooth.ko module for both kernel-power37 and original nokia kernel(PR1.2). This one should cure laggy mouse movement. Just in case both modules are incompatible with your kernel - the actual patch is in hci_event.c, function hci_mode_change_evt :

/*if (!test_and_clear_bit(HCI_CONN_MODE_CHANGE_PEND, &conn->pend)) {
if (conn->mode == HCI_CM_ACTIVE)
conn->power_save = 1;
else
conn->power_save = 0;
}*/

I think you can use hci_event.c from attachment as direct replacement, as I think this file is same in both PR1.1.1 and PR1.2

Give it a try (backup your own bluetooth.ko just in case), the worse that could happen is that one will lose bluetooth until original module is copied back.

In attached zip you can find my version of evdev.c, so you can diff it with yours, just in case my extraterrestrial programming skills have added something valuable there :D

Thanks for your efforts on this matter, and if you need help - count on me

Regards and sorry if my English is not so good

F2thaK
2010-07-01, 01:21
damn i wanna try this

KingKobraone
2010-07-01, 10:25
hey

i have the same problem

touchscreen and Keyboard dont work

what can i do ?

only flash?

wifi and bluetooth are disabled =(

freemangordon
2010-07-01, 12:18
azerty1: Will you please update you initial post and include some kind of advice for user to set WiFi to automatic before copying evdev_drv (and to install ssh if not already), so in case touch/keyboard is unusable after reboot one to have option to log into the system and restore evdev_drv

KingKobraone: you can try to bring up USB network (using Linux, not Windows) , ssh in the system and restore original evdev_drv.so.

KingKobraone
2010-07-01, 12:49
i have ubuntu on my pc at home:rolleyes:
but i donīt know this fukntion.:(
thanks for this information than i dont flash the device now
first i will try this

you have maybe some tutourials or something?:confused:
have you icq msn skype ??

sry my english is not good

KingKobraone
(german)

jackspost
2010-07-01, 13:16
hello,

typing

./xsetroot -showmouse

gets

-sh: ./xsetroot: Permission denied error.

Trying to chmod +x don't work.

I can add Logitech MX900 Mouse, but can't connect. bluetooth symbol stay gray, not blue.

Why is there a permission denied?

thanks for any help!

add:

Ok nice, now it works.
had to move N900-BluetoothMouseSupport folder to /home/user to set user rights.

Also following this thread to connect Logitech mouse:
http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-33517.html

is there a way to autostart this on boot-up?

freemangordon
2010-07-01, 13:33
i have ubuntu on my pc at home:rolleyes:
but i donīt know this fukntion.:(
thanks for this information than i dont flash the device now
first i will try this

you have maybe some tutourials or something?:confused:
have you icq msn skype ??

sry my english is not good

KingKobraone
(german)

First of all you should have ssh installed on your device, otherwise the only option is reflash.

Here http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking is wiki page with instructions re USB networking. As you cannot type ifup usb0 on n900 try to bring up usb0 on ubuntu box after attaching usb cable (same ifup usb0 command) - hopefully this will bring up usb0 on n900 too as it is set up as auto in /etc/interfaces. If above seems complicated here http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware is wiki page with instructions on howto reflash

Veix
2010-07-01, 14:58
Waiting for Quake3 video with BT keyboard+mouse and tv-out :)

Trek1701
2010-07-01, 20:27
Razer Orochi BT mouse working 100%. Thanks a lot azerty1!

qole
2010-07-01, 21:48
Thank you very much. This is one of the missing pieces needed to make the N900 into a Real Computer.

qole
2010-07-01, 21:56
I'm not clear about this...

The modified evdev_drv.so is not safe? It might cause your keyboard to stop working? Or the driver is safe, but you might lose your keyboard if you make a mistake?

Can you install the new driver before pairing the mouse, or does the new driver interfere with the pairing somehow?

I'm asking this because it would be fairly simple to make a package that installs the new driver and enables BT HID support, but I don't want to do that if the driver may cause serious problems.

Trek1701
2010-07-01, 22:07
@qole

These are the steps I followed:

1. remove the "input" from /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
2. replace the "evdev_drv.so" file
3. move "transp" and copy "arrow" file
4. install the bluez-compat from here (http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/armel/bluez-compat/download)
5. install libxmuu1
6. paired Razer Orochi BT mouse (was necessary to run hidd --search on terminal first)
7. reboot
8. run ./showmouse

And done.

azerty1
2010-07-01, 23:16
azerty1: Will you please update you initial post and include some kind of advice for user to set WiFi to automatic before copying evdev_drv (and to install ssh if not already), so in case touch/keyboard is unusable after reboot one to have option to log into the system and restore evdev_drv

KingKobraone: you can try to bring up USB network (using Linux, not Windows) , ssh in the system and restore original evdev_drv.so.

A WARNING has been added. Thanks for sending your files and for your help freemangordon! (your English is great BTW) I'm in the process of incorporating your stuff (while trying to fix that dang browser too!)

F2thaK
2010-07-02, 05:24
bought one of these yesterday, cant wait

http://www.crazysales.com.au/2-4ghz-wireless-bluetooth-mouse-with-optical-800-1600-dpi-resolution-for-pc-notebook-black_p10773.html?f=getprice&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

F2thaK
2010-07-02, 05:26
Thank you very much. This is one of the missing pieces needed to make the N900 into a Real Computer.

SO true..

freemangordon
2010-07-02, 07:14
A WARNING has been added. Thanks for sending your files and for your help freemangordon! (your English is great BTW) I'm in the process of incorporating your stuff (while trying to fix that dang browser too!)

Wish you luck fixing the browser, but I have feeling that this is a dead end for microb without patching/recompiling. Yesterday I installed mozilla 1.1 and with little tweaking it has mouse cursor in web pages. Mouse is 100% working in mozilla. If anyone is interested here is how to show pointer in mozilla(1.1):

edit

/opt/mozilla/fennec-1.1/chrome/chrome.manifest

and add following line

override chrome://browser/content/cursor.css data:text/plain,<nada/>

Sure same effect can be acheved in a different way (even maybe on the fly), but some with more knowledge on mozilla should advice how.

Re poll questions -

showing/hiding mouse pointer can be done automaticly trough hal fdi script(think so :) ), so when mouse is paired/connected cursor to appear (and to disappear when unpaired/disconnected). What I am thinking is a control panel extension to select for which BT device[s] this to happen, so no end user has to modify scripts by hand.

lag that some people (including me before bluetooth.ko patching) have I'm 99 percent sure is due to bluetooth subsystem

BTW did you try bluetooth.ko and evdev_drv.so that I am using (those from attachment)? If yes - is mouse movement still erratic?

Cheers

DarkShadowSwE
2010-07-02, 09:41
@qole

These are the steps I followed:

1. remove the "input" from /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
2. replace the "evdev_drv.so" file
3. move "transp" and copy "arrow" file
4. install the bluez-compat from here (http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/armel/bluez-compat/download)
5. install libxmuu1
6. paired Razer Orochi BT mouse (was necessary to run hidd --search on terminal first)
7. reboot
8. run ./showmouse

And done.

i got down to part 6... , the bluetooth icon goes blue and then white again after 0.5 sec , -.-

bitwit
2010-07-03, 10:28
i got down to part 6... , the bluetooth icon goes blue and then white again after 0.5 sec , -.-

I have the same problem with my Targus bt mouse. The tagus stays in pairing mode, while the n900 thinks it is paired ok.
A hcitool cc (connect) turns the bt-icon blue for a second, then off again.

Tried with another one, a chinese oem mouse (TX18) That one connects ok but wont move or generate any clicks.

F2thaK
2010-07-03, 10:34
we need a list of BT mice.. which ones do work, which ones dont.

freemangordon
2010-07-03, 13:39
I have the same problem with my Targus bt mouse. The tagus stays in pairing mode, while the n900 thinks it is paired ok.
A hcitool cc (connect) turns the bt-icon blue for a second, then off again.

Tried with another one, a chinese oem mouse (TX18) That one connects ok but wont move or generate any clicks.

Try chinese one with modified bluetooth.ko (see my previous posts), hopefully it will solve the issue

bitwit
2010-07-03, 14:18
Try chinese one with modified bluetooth.ko (see my previous posts), hopefully it will solve the issue

Thank You very much!
Works perfectly now. Your kernel module was the last piece of the puzzle.

With the blutooth mouse and my Apple bluetooth keyboard, I now have a very portable solution.

Now I'm thinking of getting a fresnell lens to get that retro Brazil the movie look to my setup :-)

sb10ck
2010-07-03, 16:49
Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 works (but only with Bluez-Compat).

J@ck
2010-07-04, 13:54
I have a problem with installing bluez-compat. I can't install it on my N900. All the time it shows the same error : "uncompatible package". Can you help me please?

sb10ck
2010-07-04, 17:10
you need only the binary "hidd" from the package. extract it manually and copy to N900.

knypek3
2010-07-05, 00:07
Hello!
I've got problem.
I run dpkg -i bluez.deb
Than connect my mouse with hdd -connect.
But i don't see cursor.
I install libxmuu1 than try to send command ./xsetroot cursor_name arrow
Terminal back me message: /bin/sh : ./xsetroot: Permission denied.
What i'm doing wrong??
I try with root and sudo gainroot.
Sorry for my english and for my strange questions :)
Regards
Windows user ;D

F2thaK
2010-07-05, 08:55
so, am I correct in saying:

we cannot use the mouse and sixaxis at the same time?

F2thaK
2010-07-05, 09:30
im trying to "show mouse" but get error

typing

./xsetroot -showmouse

gets

-sh: ./xsetroot: Permission denied error.

'N900-bT..' folder is in /home/user/

I'd run install.sh script if i knew how

any help plz thx

freemangordon
2010-07-05, 10:57
Try to chmod xsetroot

knypek3
2010-07-05, 12:17
Thanks!
root
CHMOD a+rwx xsetroot
./xsetroot cursor_name arrow
Workind fine with Logitech v470
THANKS everyone :D

asys3
2010-07-05, 12:37
Hi,

after using the bluetooth module my chinese bt mouse works without any problems.
Even firefox 1.1 works with the mentioned tweak.

Thanks for the great work!!!

asys3

qole
2010-07-05, 16:48
Anyone know if the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 is compatible? It's on sale at a local retailer, but there's no point in buying it if I can't connect it.

sb10ck
2010-07-05, 16:58
@qole: Do you not reading this thread? Look here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=739700&postcount=45

knypek3
2010-07-05, 16:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNzIsmfemY

Mouse + Keyboard
But quake3 don't work perfect with it :/
Mouse don't work correctly. It "drive" to end of screen and stop. So you can't do a full 360 reverse.

qole
2010-07-05, 18:04
sb10ck: Sorry, I must be blind. :o

F2thaK
2010-07-06, 14:42
can someone help me run this at startup, or with a shortcut

*please*

./xsetroot -cursor_name arrow

smoss
2010-07-06, 17:53
G'day F2thaK could you use that queenbeecon widget to do your command? just like the oc desktop shortcut.

F2thaK
2010-07-07, 03:30
not sure, thats why i was asking for help :D

F2thaK
2010-07-07, 07:59
okay, here you go guys...

A shortcut to show mouse cursor! with icon!

1. Follow these instructions BT mouse support (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57427)

2. Extract http://f2thak.com/N900/mouseshortcut.zip to root of phone, not MyDocs!

3. Go to Xterminal,

root
cd /
chmod +x mouse.sh

4. Reboot

5. In App menu run MouseCursor shortcut to show mouse cursor!
Add it to desktop, wherever you want!

will show up in app menu

icon preview:

smoss
2010-07-07, 12:08
well done f2thak! this is all comming along nicely. can't wait for a quick install for the bt mouse, i'm sick of getting things wrong and flashing : ( . keep up the great work guys.

F2thaK
2010-07-08, 03:44
if someone can improve it, be my guest.. atm the terminal window stays open but if you press menu button it disappears.......

F2thaK
2010-07-08, 05:53
okay so ive got my mouse

but... ive got it paired, but no movement..! got fully visible cursor (followed post #1)

I do hidd --search but get

HID create error 13 (permission denied)

I didnt install bluez-compat right, dunno how!

Find and download Ubuntu bluez-compat armel deb package
Open the deb archive and remove the "hidd" arm binary.
Copy the binary to the N900 (i.e. to /home/user ).

J@ck
2010-07-08, 07:18
@f2thak : Copy attached file to /home/user/ extract it here and move hidd file from /home/user/usr/bin/ to /home/user/.. then in terminal run sudo gainroot and run search using hidd file (./hidd --search)

I think, i've installed everything correctly but when i run
./hidd --search it searching a while and after that it shows me message : "No devices in range visible" I have BT switched on, and my mouse is Logitech M215. Can someone help me pls?

freemangordon
2010-07-08, 07:54
okay so ive got my mouse

but... ive got it paired, but no movement..! got fully visible cursor (followed post #1)

I do hidd --search but get

HID create error 13 (permission denied)

I didnt install bluez-compat right, dunno how!

If mouse gets paired but no movement, you don't need hidd (methinks). I am pretty sure you need to replace bluetooth.ko in order to have movement.

F2thaK
2010-07-08, 10:28
what gives?

I flashed, started all over.
now i cant even install libxmuu1 - no installation candidate??

F2thaK
2010-07-08, 10:55
@f2thak : Copy attached file to /home/user/ extract it here and move hidd file from /home/user/usr/bin/ to /home/user/.. then in terminal run sudo gainroot and run search using hidd file (./hidd --search)

I think, i've installed everything correctly but when i run
./hidd --search it searching a while and after that it shows me message : "No devices in range visible" I have BT switched on, and my mouse is Logitech M215. Can someone help me pls?

did this but it says "hidd not found"
put hidd file in /home/user

F2thaK
2010-07-08, 12:15
okay sorry to flood thread but I have had SUCCESS with a CHEAP mouse!!

works GREAT, almost NO lag... connects with a few clicks after boot :D

But Ive noticed when mouse is connected, I cannot access my phone thru SSH over wifi....

also the thwo *.debs installed showed errors, they have dependency issues..

this is also not 100% correct but I did this and it was the only thing that worked for me with the following mouse.

HOW TO:

1. bought this CHEAP ($25AUD approx) BT mouse

2. flashed phone (after failed attempts, due to kernel issues)

3. followed 1st post of this thread (NOTE: I had to "chmod +x xsetroot" in xterminal, in file directory)

4. use freemangordons bt.ko file (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=736008&postcount=24) (ensure it overwrites current bluetooth.ko file in "/lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1" by default - if you have stock kernel(s)

5. put the hidd file in this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=744554&postcount=65) in /home/user/ (this seemed to do nothing (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=744738&postcount=68))

6. for some reason i had to install libxmuu1 (http://packages.debian.org/lenny/armel/libxmuu1/download) by d/lding *.debs and in xterminal
dpkg -i *.deb...
also I dpkg'd bluez-compat (http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/armel/bluez-compat/download)
both show errors, but are needed.

7. did the following - show mousecursor shortcut (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=743416&postcount=61)
this creates a nice shortcut to show mouse cursor (I use on boot usually :D)

8. Reboot

9. Activate BT, add device -> pair mouse

10. Click / connect mouse... ? and use!

I love it !! shame I cannot use shh->wifi at the same time :confused:

qole
2010-07-08, 19:22
Just a note, I was able to successfully pair my Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 using the hcitool and dbus-send commands from this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=517684#post517684) in the BT keyboard thread.

So the debian bluez-compat hidd binary is not needed. That's good news.

danramos
2010-07-08, 19:37
I remember asking the question AGES ago, back when the N810 was a new thing... whether mouse would be supported in the next OS. I remember being told that now that Fremantle is using xorg,it would be a REAL X implementation and YES--support a mouse.

Since I didn't buy an N900, I assumed it worked fine. Sounds like we're STILL hacking a mouse to work. Why is Nokia going out of their way to make this difficult?

qole
2010-07-08, 19:39
Interesting. I copied the patched evdev_drv.so to the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input directory... and my phone rebooted!

Scared the poop out of me!

But everything was fine after the reboot. The mouse works great in Easy Debian, which is the only place I want it to work, anyway.

danramos
2010-07-08, 19:59
By the by, you guys (making this work) and especially Qole, get a HUGE amount of my respect and gratitude for doing this stuff. ...even if I'm NOT buying an N900. heheh Just glad SOMEONE's enabling users to get the kind of device they want, not the one Nokia wants them to have.

smoss
2010-07-09, 00:34
gotta love the underdog in any fight (a shame it's nokia beating itself with a big stick!). tried to hack everything i've had, not just coz but to get what i want out of a device. do it your way fellas! ive bought the thing where's the support from the people who want me to buy the next best thing from them, just to get rammed?! still love my n900 anyway n will put up with a lot of **** for it because it's bloody awesome!,versatile and some people like to put in the effort to make it better than it can be. full support of a bt mouse would be fan-bloody-tastic! (i can allways dream of quake 3 with mouse on the n900) the ball is rolling and im happy : )

imperiallight
2010-07-09, 00:52
I remember asking the question AGES ago, back when the N810 was a new thing... whether mouse would be supported in the next OS. I remember being told that now that Fremantle is using xorg,it would be a REAL X implementation and YES--support a mouse.

Since I didn't buy an N900, I assumed it worked fine. Sounds like we're STILL hacking a mouse to work. Why is Nokia going out of their way to make this difficult?

Its a joke

F2thaK
2010-07-09, 03:15
Just a note, I was able to successfully pair my Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 using the hcitool and dbus-send commands from this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=517684#post517684) in the BT keyboard thread.

an explination of how-to-do-this would be great

F2thaK
2010-07-09, 03:32

i got up to step 5 then got stuck..

it says
interface "org.bluez.Input" doesnt exist

edit: tried step 5 again, this time i get error:
couldnt allocate dbus message

qole
2010-07-09, 08:00
f2thak: I'm writing a script to do this easily (you pair your mouse/keyboard, then you click on an icon and choose your mouse/keyboard from a list, and it is active). I'll have it ready in a day or two.

I would really like someone (azerty1? freemangordon?) to package up the patched evdev_drv.so and put it into the repositories. I can write all the scripts to get everything hooked up, but I need someone else to put the binary into a package for the autobuilder.

James cuck
2010-07-09, 08:06
Thanks for sharing ,its very helpful to me.
Cell Phone (http://areacellphone.com)
caravan insurance quotes (http://www.quotezone.co.uk/caravan-insurance.htm)

F2thaK
2010-07-09, 08:30
any chance we can use mouse, and sixaxis at the same time?

freemangordon
2010-07-09, 09:21
f2thak: I'm writing a script to do this easily (you pair your mouse/keyboard, then you click on an icon and choose your mouse/keyboard from a list, and it is active). I'll have it ready in a day or two.

I would really like someone (azerty1? freemangordon?) to package up the patched evdev_drv.so and put it into the repositories. I can write all the scripts to get everything hooked up, but I need someone else to put the binary into a package for the autobuilder.

I hope you can give me some help to do it ( see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50641 ;) ). Just explain what you need me to do (upload binaries, source, whatever) and i will. Re scripts - once we have deb created I will try to make scripts/UI(or help you if you need) that automate the whole process of showing/hiding cursor (one can use hal, dbus,...).

Cheers

BTW - azerty1, is there any progress with microb mouse support?

qole
2010-07-09, 16:36
In addition to a packaged, patched evdev_drv.so, we need a packaged xsetroot.

I'm personally not very interested in showing/hiding the cursor, since I don't understand why you would use a mouse in Maemo anyway, but I'd appreciate a rough script that does all the steps for showing / hiding the cursor to include in my package.

F2thaK
2010-07-10, 08:01
all of a sudden today I can install libxmuu1 again,,, so i do.. plus xterm removed bluez-compat

Now, my mouse works without bluez-compat! (acutally, i never tried without it)

but... yes! Im happy :D

qole
2010-07-11, 21:01
I've made a package to make the BT mouse and keyboard work. See this thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58258).

Trek1701
2010-07-12, 03:22
Razer Orochi BT mouse working 100%. Thanks a lot azerty1!

I would like to add that Apple Magic Mouse also works with N900: http://twitpic.com/24ixcj

The touching scroll is not working yet, as expected.

covid
2010-07-12, 07:31
I would like to add that Apple Magic Mouse also works with N900: http://twitpic.com/24ixcj

The touching scroll is not working yet, as expected.

Its work now with version 0.4

smoss
2010-07-12, 23:07
hI guy's i have swaped all the files where they need to go but my phone reboots after 1/2 mins? everything pairs, bluetooth light stays blue and can use the mouse in easy deabian it then resets?. i have tried to get this going with power kernel, hard reset (flashed) back to stock settings with the same result?. could it be my mouse or something else?

Bec
2010-07-20, 13:34
Mouse in Open Arena doesn't work properly:

The cursor doesn't move unless a button is being pressed.

Using Logitech BT laser travel mouse

mac101
2010-07-21, 11:45
Have a bt mouse, got it on the net, sent from china. Sometimes it will work for a brief moment(usually less than one second) when first paired but then stops working, the bt icon stays blue though. Any ideas?

killerjay
2010-07-21, 17:57
has anyone tested the mouse in rdesktop?

mac101
2010-07-21, 20:31
Yes, this is what I wanted to check.

Got my mouse up and running by repacing the bt.ko file, works great no delay, the mouse only cost me Ģ12.50. Also got my SU-8W keyboard working at the same time, it's incredible, why nokia didnt sort these things out is beyond me, it has made the N900 twice the machine.
The mouse works perfectly in rdesktop, left click and right click all fine, it makes rdesktop very usable. I will let you know if I find any problems going forward.

gleamjewels
2010-07-22, 04:18
i have same problem , my mouse work for a second when i pair it and then stops working , plz explain how can i make it work

liamlain
2010-07-22, 06:23

Got my mouse up and running by repacing the bt.ko file, works great no delay, the mouse only cost me Ģ12.50. Also got my SU-8W keyboard working at the same time, it's incredible, why nokia didnt sort these things out is beyond me, it has made the N900 twice the machine.
The mouse works perfectly in rdesktop, left click and right click all fine, it makes rdesktop very usable. I will let you know if I find any problems going forward.

hi wht the mouse model u using? :)

freemangordon
2010-07-22, 06:47
i have same problem , my mouse work for a second when i pair it and then stops working , plz explain how can i make it work

Check here

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=736008&postcount=24

Extract the correct bluetooth.ko module from zip and copy it (as root) in /lib/modules/current

freemangordon
2010-07-22, 06:55
@moderators - think this thread should be merged with qole's one

mac101
2010-07-22, 07:29
hi wht the mouse model u using? :)

Same on as f2thak on page three on this thread, you can get them from lots of places on the net.

Im no expert and I had to learn some basic stuff like deleting and copying files in X term, also unzipping/unpacking on the N900 but it was worth it. Still dont know how to copy to root so haven't got a short cut for the cursor yet.

Replacing the bluetooth.ko with freemangordans version was vital for me and I suspect it will be for many others.

For those like me who are not use to this stuff this is what I did:-

Follow everything on page one of this thread, then

Unzip the file provided earlier in this thread by freemangordon and replace the bluetooth.ko in "/lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1" for the one provided, I shortened the file extension to .ko on the new file.

you have to reboot

J@ck
2010-08-07, 17:36
My mouse (logitech M215) still doesn't work with N900. I tried all instructions. Is it possible to pair with N900 mouse, which uses usb bt adapter to working with computer? Or it is only possible pairing N900 with mouse which is able to connect to internal bt module on notebook (no usb adapter in package with mouse)?

I' am sorry, maybe it is a silly question..

jabawok
2010-08-16, 06:20
Mouse cursor trick from the OP works brilliantly with synergy. Using desktop PC, move mouse cursor off the edge of screen on PC, jumps to N900. Love your work azerty1.

sb10ck
2010-08-16, 06:49
@jabawok: can you post a howto? I have Ubuntu on the desk.

rajil.s
2010-08-16, 07:01

Got my mouse up and running by repacing the bt.ko file, works great no delay, the mouse only cost me Ģ12.50.

Could you let us know where you bought this in the UK?

techie
2010-08-16, 07:49
@jabawok: can you post a howto? I have Ubuntu on the desk.
I am also using synergy for my win7 pc and the mouse pointer works beautifully, but for ubuntu you can use x2x to get the same result
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RIRmGhjiw

impeham
2011-04-23, 12:51
Is it possible to change/configure the mouse cursor?

i would like to use a totally black arrow cursor (without the white boundaries)

Thanks.

EDITED: Solved it by downloading other cursors and now using a smaller cursor.

vbar
2011-06-06, 14:25
Works for me (well, for some mice), but is the patch to evdev_drv.so available? I'd like to use it with an application I'm porting, and I'd prefer not to refer users to a mysterious binary...

zarkomortala
2011-10-26, 10:52
how can i change the mouse cursor with another one?

refugee
2012-07-11, 12:24
I have been using the V470 Logitech bt mouse and it works really great with N900. I would also love to control fennec-7.0.1 too but I just cannot make it work.
Yes, I did add the line:
override chrome://browser/content/cursor.css data:text/plain,<nada/>
to the chrome.manifest, localized.manifest and nonlocalized.manifest files but still, the mouse cursor is invisible....

Anyone out there with a success story to share?

freemangordon
2012-07-11, 14:13
@refugee - you may want to check if extmou from my signature does the job for you

refugee
2012-07-12, 08:00
@refugee - you may want to check if extmou from my signature does the job for you

I installed extmou without removing any packages (I noticed that extmou did that in the installation process) and reboot. The mouse paired automatically but it is still invisible with fennec.

Should I have done any extra steps?

vinyla
2012-07-30, 16:40
Is this method work on Nokia N9? :rolleyes:

skojevac
2016-09-04, 10:37
In case someone is still 'round here, it's an old thread, I experience inconsistent behavior with the same mouse being used with different firmware. I had it working strait ou of the box with pwnphone installed, took some reading and work with nokia/cssu firmware, but now with hackpack installed I just cannot get it to work. The cursor is stuck on the side of the screen and no matter what I do, no matter what trick applied, it will not work. It's not visible in desktop, though I know it's there because scrolling produces results, and it's visible in debian, only it's stuck in a corner. I tried replacing evdev.drv manualy, and running the script, tried replacing bluetooth.ko file, even extracting these from other firmware images, but nothing. Does anybody have a suggestion what to do? tnx.