PDA

View Full Version : Biggest SD card supported in PR 1.2 on N900

wedda
2010-06-30, 23:01
Will N900 support SD cards bigger than 16GB now with PR 1.2 update. If so what's been tried.

Thanks.

maxximuscool
2010-06-30, 23:02
32GB MicroSD works!
Practically Any largest size MicroSD HC available will work just fine.

fnordianslip
2010-06-30, 23:06
Yep, 32GB Sandisk is good for me.

wedda
2010-06-30, 23:09
which class sd are you using?
Seems to be big price difference between types.

fnordianslip
2010-06-30, 23:13
I'm pretty sure it said C2 on the Sandisk card. Cost about £85.

scribbles
2010-06-30, 23:17
I have less than 3GB left on my 16GB.... I think it's time to look for a bigger one.

Clubberlang
2010-06-30, 23:42
Where are you getting your 32GB SD cards? The prices I am seeing are outrageous. Is ebay reliable?

6sicSIX
2010-06-30, 23:51
Play.com have them for £84.99. I'm saving for one as my 16GB is full of music =)

link (http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/14279098/SanDisk-32GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:14279098|ca t:Mobile+)

I wouldn't ever buy from eBay, most are just nobrand MicroSD's with a good brand printed on them, and that's if you're lucky lol

kulas
2010-07-01, 01:34
Yep, 32GB Sandisk is good for me.

Do you have any encountered problems with sandisk? I'm looking for much cheaper MMC other than Nokia.

superg05
2010-07-01, 01:56
i want to know if there can be SDXC support

sjgadsby
2010-07-01, 02:37

Hardware-wise? Yes. Filesystem-wise? No. (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=720783#post720783)

wumpwoast
2010-07-01, 02:55
Yeah, but these cards can run any filesystem you want. Linux's ext2 filesystem is reliable and even supported in Windows if you get the ext2 IFS driver (http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html).

Normally "mkfs.ext2 /dev/mmc1k1p1" would make the filesystem on a fresh card, but to make it compatible with the Windows driver you need different inode sizes:

mkfs.ext2 -i 128 /dev/mmc1k1p1

According to Wikipedia, for the short term, SDHC and SDXC cards will be compatible, but plans are afoot to make new SDXC cards support a 2.4GB/s data rate. These newer cards may be incompatible with SDHC.

gtessier00
2010-07-01, 02:57
Play.com have them for £84.99. I'm saving for one as my 16GB is full of music =)

link (http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/14279098/SanDisk-32GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:14279098|ca t:Mobile+)

I wouldn't ever buy from eBay, most are just nobrand MicroSD's with a good brand printed on them, and that's if you're lucky lol

Cheap eBay microsd does the same job as the one you'll find in stores, for a fraction of the price.
I'm using a microsd 16gb bought on eBay for 35$ and it works like a charm.

fnordianslip
2010-07-01, 07:59
Do you have any encountered problems with sandisk? I'm looking for much cheaper MMC other than Nokia.

I have had to fsck it once, as gpoddder was unable to complete the downloading of a podcast to it, and the fs on it had been remounted as read-only.

That said, I had to fsck the 16GB card it replaced, once in six months, so its not obvious there is any real issue.

6sicSIX
2010-07-01, 08:22
Cheap eBay microsd does the same job as the one you'll find in stores, for a fraction of the price.

Maybe for a time, but i'm never doing that again lol
I've had two now that just heat up when you give them power and don't even show on windows device manager. I mush have bad luck so I like having a warranty lol =p

wedda
2010-10-17, 18:24
I now have Kingston 32GB card and have had the issue with card going read only.

Re-formatted card in n900 and must say "Its not great". If I try and copy loats of data to the card it seems like it works, but when you try and play the tracks, some of the folders are empty. I need to do some more testing, but it seems like the 32GB Kingston cards are not great. Try some other vendor.

shadowjk
2010-10-17, 18:54
Last month 32gig microsdhc cards weren't even listed on kingston's website, so it's pretty new.

Following the links from kingston, amazon has the cards for $115. If the card you bought was significantly cheaper, I'd be suspicious about whether it's genuine or not.

One typical sign of a fake MicroSDHC is that when you actually alot of capacity, files start vanishing.

retsaw
2010-10-17, 19:32
There is a simple program for Windows called h2test which is designed to test flash media, it does this by writing a series of large file to the flash media then running a checksum on them to make sure it was written and reads correctly, it may be worth trying if you are not sure your sd card is working properly. It also runs on Linux using Wine.

And to correct an earlier post: There are open source Linux drivers for the filesystem used by SDXC cards, so while Maemo doesn't currently support it, it is at least a possibility.

wedda
2010-10-17, 20:31
Running the h2test on the card, and yes it has failed, not only that seems to be writing at less than 2MB/s which if I'm not mistaken is about 1/2 the write speed for a class 4 device. As Kingston only make class 4 & 10 seems like I've been had.
Sending email to seller now.

atilla
2010-10-17, 20:35
Running the h2test on the card, and yes it has failed, not only that seems to be writing at less than 2MB/s which if I'm not mistaken is about 1/2 the write speed for a class 4 device. As Kingston only make class 4 & 10 seems like I've been had.
Sending email to seller now.

where did you see a class 10 card?
i searched the web for about and hour and couldn't find one.
need class 10 for nitdroid/meego

Crom
2010-10-17, 21:11
Lots of class 10 cards here: http://www.komplett.no/k/search.aspx?q=sd%2032&bn=10244&mfr=

(Norwegian site)
But there shuld be easy to find in germany i would think..

atilla
2010-10-17, 21:23
jeah but thats sdhc and i thought we need micro sd?
correct me if im wrong

wedda
2010-10-17, 21:58
Have a look at the below under kits

http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/flash/sd_home.asp

Crom
2010-10-18, 07:22
correct me if im wrong

Sorry! My bad.
Good thing i did not buy one then.. :p
The only one i can find then is a sandisk 32 gb class2..
That's too slow!
I'm hoping there will be a class 10 soon.

jerryfreak
2010-10-18, 07:54
dont hold your breath for class 10 32gb microsdhc, its years away. they just finally got class 4 to market ($$$)

Crom
2010-10-18, 08:01
No, i won't hold my breath, but "years away" is a bit over the top..?
Sometime 1st half 2011 should be more likely i think..

Kangal
2010-10-18, 08:16
Everyone just s'up for a minute.

Wether you buy locally or through ebay/web, please test your cards. This is for your own protection, know what you bought. SD cards can be shown to have let's say 32GB, but infact have 1GB because those memory cards have bad sectors. What happens is you can still continue writing into the card but the old data get pushed into the bad sectors and are lost forever. Meaning you can lose something precious. I think companies QC their products and the rejects end-up in a pile to be recycled, and employees sneak some of the defectives into their pockets, take them home and profit majorly on the internet.

This is now very common, I am doing my test as I speak, because I think I've been scammed. If you voice your problems, at least someone can have a look at it and the sellers can own up to their responsibility.

here's the link:
http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

I hope some people here show up with bad results, not because I wish them to be scammed, but so because they would be wise with managing their data (and not to lose it, especially if its for your work which can cost you thousands or even your job) and also that they might fight back and get their money back and even if they don't, so they'll raise awareness so someone else won't be scammed and the theives be stopped.

quingu
2010-10-18, 10:14

Maybe because they only have a fraction of working flash chips of their brand counterparts?

There are only a handful of flash chip manufacturers, and they all sell under their own brand. The only way to get a memory card cheaper than the market price for raw chips is to buy a defect or manipulated memory card.

Here, do some reading. (http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918)

ndi
2010-10-18, 12:56
correct me if im wrong

SDHC is a communication standard and MicroSD is a form factor and they are not exclusive.

Also, what is wrong with partitioning? Not that it's needed:

The following limitations exist using the FAT32 file system with Windows operating systems:

Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters were 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) might calculate disk space incorrectly.
A volume must contain at least 65,527 clusters to use the FAT32 file system. You cannot increase the cluster size on a volume using the FAT32 file system so that it ends up with less than 65,527 clusters.
The maximum possible number of clusters on a volume using the FAT32 file system is 268,435,445. With a maximum of 32 KB per cluster with space for the file allocation table (FAT), this equates to a maximum disk size of approximately 8 terabytes (TB).

FAT32 works fine. Now, if you use 512b, then that's about 32GB.

Mass storage allows for bigger cluster size, so, why exactly no dice?

Oh, and, that document is for limitations in Windows 2000, 10 years ago 8 TB was considered "fine".

wmarone
2010-10-18, 16:16
SD cards can be shown to have let's say 32GB, but infact have 1GB because those memory cards have bad sectors.
A 32GB card with so many bad sectors as to only store 1GB would never make it out of the factory.

What happens is you can still continue writing into the card but the old data get pushed into the bad sectors and are lost forever. Meaning you can lose something precious
No. When sectors go bad they are mapped out and never used again. If this actually happened then SD cards (or anything that used NAND) would never be used.

I think companies QC their products and the rejects end-up in a pile to be recycled, and employees sneak some of the defectives into their pockets, take them home and profit majorly on the internet.
Unlikely, since such defective chips never make it into the final package. Instead, when you buy online they screw with the partition table so you can format the device and it'll look like it's bigger than it actually is.

This is now very common, I am doing my test as I speak, because I think I've been scammed. If you voice your problems, at least someone can have a look at it and the sellers can own up to their responsibility.
Don't buy on eBay from sellers based in China? This isn't hard.

ndi
2010-10-22, 14:17
Don't buy on eBay from sellers based in China? This isn't hard.

Actually, some of those have online shops that deliver just fine. I think that "don't buy suspiciously cheap stuff from people with zero guarantees and low ratings".

I order stuff from China routinely and am yet to be disappointed. Though I stay with high feedback and shops.

tzsm98
2010-10-22, 14:34
where did you see a class 10 card?
i searched the web for about and hour and couldn't find one.
need class 10 for nitdroid/meego

The Kingston site has 16 GB Class 10 cards (http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=SDC10/16GB)for sale. I put one in my N8 because I wanted the speed for video recording. It works fine. I usually buy direct from the manufacturer to reduce the possibility of getting a fake chip.

I've had to warranty one Kingston microsdHC in the last four years, an 8gb Class 4 that separated when I inserted it into my N78-3.

Nokia 5700
2010-10-22, 21:01

Hard to know, you'd need to know if someone has one, and that that person also has a N900. Its really hard to know if a FAT32 FS can handle 2Tb, and if the device can browse it all. What i would consider is this: splitting it in half and formatting the card 1Tb/500Gb for a desktop OS, 1Tb/1,5Tb for storage/FAT32. :rolleyes:
That would at least limit it a bit... And, you could always try out 32, 64, 128, 258 and 512Gb partitions and see how far it can go with a kind of FAT filesystem.

If the N900 did support 1Tb... it would be the best MID in the world... :cool:

sjgadsby
2010-10-23, 02:38
Its really hard to know if a FAT32 FS can handle 2Tb, and if the device can browse it all.

The theoretical maximum size of a FAT32 volume is close to 8 TB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006). In practice, many applications, utilities, and drivers probably have much lower limits. For instance, Linux--including Maemo--supports only up to 2 TB FAT32 volumes.