PDA

View Full Version : Problem with N900 Bought in India !

augustya
2010-07-01, 08:57
Nokia Customer Service Agent here says once you have bought a N900 device in India, Which comes pre-installed version of PR 1.2 you cannot again Re-Flash to the Global Version of PR 1.2 for want of Skype Video Calling Feature, simply because all N900 devices sold in India would have a India Specific IMEI & Product Code, which would not allow the user to Flash it to the Global Version of PR 1.2. is that True ?

6sicSIX
2010-07-01, 09:04
I highly doubt it, but the most that could happen is that you are not allowed to download the global rootfs. I'm pretty sure flasher3.5 will allow you to flash the n900 with anything you get hold of..

amit_majumder
2010-07-01, 09:28
Nokia Customer Service Agent here says once you have bought a N900 device in India, Which comes pre-installed version of PR 1.2 you cannot again Re-Flash to the Global Version of PR 1.2 for want of Skype Video Calling Feature, simply because all N900 devices sold in India would have a India Specific IMEI & Product Code, which would not allow the user to Flash it to the Global Version of PR 1.2. is that True ?

I was told the same thing.

augustya
2010-07-01, 09:32
I was told the same thing.

Hi Amit,

So what did you do ? Did you manage to Flash it to the Global Version then ? was it succesfull ?

6sicSIX
2010-07-01, 09:33
Well the n900 won't be the thing stopping you, if any. It would be the site that you get the images from. I'm sure you can grab the image from somewhere else. Sorry I can't answer your question.

dchky
2010-07-01, 10:44
You will have to enter a valid N900 IMEI (not from the block assigned to India) in order to get access to the firmware files.

If I was to suggest a method, and this is simply an example, I'd enter something like: 3569380315XXXXX where XXXXX is just 5 random numbers, but you know, that's just me. : )

I have no idea if this would actually work. :rolleyes:

MRaj
2010-07-01, 16:41
I bought the N900 in India. Used IMEI and downloaded the global firmware. Tried Skype video calling and its working. :)
So I don't think there is a block for Indian IMEI. This was 1 week after the launch in India. Not sure if they did something now :rolleyes:

augustya
2010-07-03, 10:49
I bought the N900 in India. Used IMEI and downloaded the global firmware. Tried Skype video calling and its working. :)
So I don't think there is a block for Indian IMEI. This was 1 week after the launch in India. Not sure if they did something now :rolleyes:

Hey Raj,

Thanks for the input. So after you've flashed to the Global version no problems with the working of the phone right ? everything OK ? One more thing did you notice a deterioration in Battery performance after you've flashed ? Compared to what it was before Flashing ?

F2thaK
2010-07-03, 10:54
im quite sure its very little difference....

except skype usability

mangal_sk8erboy
2010-07-03, 11:01
why would the want to block skype in india?

augustya
2010-07-03, 11:11
why would the want to block skype in india?

Government of India has some VOIP Restrictions and Skype Video calling is Banned under that (Officially) people use it though unofficially...But any Product sold with the government's permission will not have Skype in it.

fnordianslip
2010-07-03, 11:33
Perhaps due to the crypto?

MRaj
2010-07-10, 17:59
Hey Raj,

Thanks for the input. So after you've flashed to the Global version no problems with the working of the phone right ? everything OK ? One more thing did you notice a deterioration in Battery performance after you've flashed ? Compared to what it was before Flashing ?

Augustya,

Everything fine. No issues at all. Since I bought it recently, I started with Global version. So I don't know any other performance to benchmark.
However, I used the following things to improve the battery and got really good performance.
1) I do have the Daul/2G/3G selected app installed. I always keep in 2G mode. I will switch to 3G only when I need. This really saves the battery.
2) I have the app that disables wireless LAN. I keep this disabled.
3) In internet connection setting I kept the setting never autoconnect(or something similar) setting and I do keep it disconnected from internet, even in 2G(GPRS).
4) I don't have any junk program like weather etc running all the time !!

These things really improved the battery life.

regards
Manoj

rohanhole
2010-07-10, 18:06
You Can FLASH WITH Global Version , So Dont Be Afraid and Go Ahead !!!

adalal
2010-07-10, 18:06
Quite honestly, they have the India firmware files in the FW repository...

But yes, the Indian Governments put in restrictions on VOIP, and even actively blockout many betamax voip providers, since this is considered a security issue.

I live in the UK, but when I do go back, i just VPN into my server in the UK, or a paid server (only £3 a month) and login to my VOIP services.

But then again, their regulations keep changing, allowing certain voip providers to get a license. So, most of the voip services there are on and off.

adalal
2010-07-10, 18:07
Go ahead, the nokia staff cannot void any warranty and stuff like that if you flash it with the global firmware

vivek5000
2010-07-11, 08:56
I visited Nokia Service Center & they said that they will not cover the mobile under warranty if it is not the Indian firmware..

However, they seem to have indirectly indicate a loophole.. You can now have the Global firmware and reflash it to Indian firmware before taking it to the service center..

Hope that helps.. Enjoy your N900..

sdesai
2010-07-12, 05:38
Well the reason why skype is banned in india is....they found some anti social elements using that to avoid getting caught .... when india asked skype to give them the key to decode skype calls for them to keep a check on such calls they refused...in return indian govt gave an order to ban skype.

orion88freedom
2010-07-12, 07:47
wow, didn't know this was the situation with Skype in India.....xplains a lot why friends back there cannot get in touch with me through Skype....oh well I won't need to use skype when I go India.

CooL_HunK
2010-07-12, 08:34
when did it released in india, n in which cities...( mujhe pata hi nahi hai kab hua release india mein ), I bought mine from USA...

orion88freedom
2010-07-12, 08:35
i think last month or maybe end of may ?

vmayur_23
2010-07-12, 08:50
i think last month or maybe end of may ?

It was released on 9th of june . Very low sales volumes though .

orion88freedom
2010-07-12, 09:17
i'm not surprised about the volume....having seen the type of fones with my family and friends in india, i'd b surprised if anyone bought the n900.....it would have to b someone who's quite informed abt the n900 and it's uses and potential who would buy it in India....or word of mouth from outside India......being priced at 35k rupees doesn't help either......

sdesai
2010-07-12, 09:44
more than anything i feel its the marketing of n900 that sucks...in india atleast. apart from few tech websites...i find no advertisemens be it in tv, news papers, stores nothing at all. its like they are jus doin it for the sake. thats whr apple differs even though nokia has the potential.

s33
2010-08-05, 08:31

Totally wrong man....i just flashed my n900 with the latest global firmware yesterday...and its working just fine with skype........battery life has also increased......

i gave my mobile's IME number and i was able to choose any firmware i want and to flash it

its a very simple process.check the link below and follow the simple steps
http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-flash-your-nokia-n900/

If you are worried about the warranty,just reflash it with indian firmware before you take it to nokia care.....flashing wont take more than 5mins....

nicholes
2010-10-10, 04:09
Totally wrong man....i just flashed my n900 with the latest global firmware yesterday...and its working just fine with skype........battery life has also increased......

i gave my mobile's IME number and i was able to choose any firmware i want and to flash it

its a very simple process.check the link below and follow the simple steps
http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-flash-your-nokia-n900/

If you are worried about the warranty,just reflash it with indian firmware before you take it to nokia care.....flashing wont take more than 5mins....

i think u r right but u did not tell us that ..did u give them ur orignal EMEI?and also tell us what ver. did u download for skype?globle ,uk,USA ,Middle East and North Africa ...etc ??i mean with which one skype is working in india THANKS!

avinashtjoshi
2010-10-11, 03:42

I bought N900 in India and flashed the global firmware... There is no problem with flashing the same.

And There is again no difference between the Global and Indian firmware except for skype. :)