PDA

View Full Version : newbie Maemo Map question

wasabi
2007-04-11, 01:24
Greetings.

I have Maemo Mapper installed (as well as flite) but I'm clueless as to where-from, and how-to get useful map information into the unit. Can someone point me to instructions on how to do so (Western US preferably) ?

TIA

W

bergie
2007-04-11, 05:20
I have Maemo Mapper installed (as well as flite) but I'm clueless as to where-from, and how-to get useful map information into the unit. Can someone point me to instructions on how to do so (Western US preferably) ?

If your area is not covered by the OpenStreetMap that Maemo Mapper supplies by default, switch to one of the proprietary providers (Google Maps, Virtual Earth etc) in the Maps menu in Maemo Mapper, and then turn on auto-download.

Note: Using for example Google Maps this way will probably violate their terms of service. I'm personally counting on OpenStreetMaps improving enough...

wasabi
2007-04-12, 13:44
Is there anything special about the URL to use for Google Maps?

Thanks

W

gnuite
2007-04-12, 16:10
Use the "Download..." button in the "Manage Repositories" dialog. That will get you a list of repositories that you can use. Tweak the settings for each repository that you want to use, and/or delete repositories that you don't want.

wasabi
2007-04-13, 04:20
That got me going. Thanks!

W

Delphipgmr
2007-05-11, 04:14
im just setting up mapper too and i am confused..

there is no "download" button that i can see.

am i missing something?

i got it to show a map of the world (with my location from the GPS marked), but that isnt really useful.

there also isnt any "zoom" anymore?

help!

gnuite
2007-05-11, 20:56
Use the "rocker keys" (on the top of the device) to zoom in and out.

The "Download..." button that they're referring to is in the "Manage Repositories" dialog, which is accessed via the "Maps" menu.

There's a Help file that may interest you, with a "Quick-Start" guide that includes these and other details.

Delphipgmr
2007-05-11, 20:58
actually, it turned out i had somehow had an old version on it.. I updated the software and everything is fine

james.bottomtooth
2007-05-12, 21:06
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/835/mapsbm1.jpg

my list of maps is doubled. did i do something wrong? :eek:
should i just delete the repeats?

also how do i change map repositories so they all automatically download to the SD card? (do i have create a folder for each one and point to them?)

brendan
2007-05-12, 22:45
no you didnt do anything wrong, its a "perk" of the application. by default, it loads the map repos into /home/user/... somewhere. since you set them up on your sd card, the app didnt find them where it looked for them, and created them where its configured to do so.

make sure you delete the correct repos, or you will have to re-download the maps you had stored.

james.bottomtooth
2007-05-13, 16:53
i think what i did, is went to Manage maps Repos... and clicked download and it downloaded duplicate list. so i removed the duplicates.
tried to let n800 to download some google maps over night. but now other maps dont want to get autodownloaded.. so i gotta check that now.