PDA

View Full Version : tiny wifi connection issue

camelactive
2010-07-02, 16:59
yo guys,
i have a small problem with my wifi connection...here's my issue
after successfully connected to the router, it works flawlessly for sometime...then after 10-20 minutes,, the internet is gone (but my phone still showing that it's connected to the router) ..each time it happens ..i have to reconnect it..kinda annoying though..
or...if i leave it for say 5 minutes..the internet would come back...amazing..

maybe i should try with other router..

i even reflashed it but the same problem persists..so i'm suspecting the culprit here is my router ( brand is netgear..wireless G to be exact)

any insights.?

acvetkov
2010-07-02, 17:04
Smells like router issue. Check the time for which a registration is kept alive dunno how is defined on that particular model.

2010-07-02, 17:08
Let's try this in xterminal:

sudo ping <YOUR ROUTER IP>

and let it keep going.

If your connection still dies after 10-20 minutes then we can look elsewhere.

Edit: remove stupid -t flag

festivalnut
2010-07-02, 17:15
i used to get that all the time before i upgraded to pr 1.2, best i could tell it was other network devices kicking me off my connection, particularly the ps3, dont get it so often now though.

acvetkov
2010-07-02, 17:18
Wrong. The man said he has network he need two ICMP probes - one to the router and one outside 4.2.2.2 for example. Note that -t is for defining time, in this case we do not need it, this is not windows CMD.

camelactive
2010-07-02, 17:25
thanks guys
@acvetkov
i'm a total noob in linux.. what's ICMP probes
now i'm pinging my router...without the t of coz ..hehe

camelactive
2010-07-02, 17:31
it stops pinging after 3 minutes... and i checked.. no internet...check on the router status.. my phone is still "connected" to the router..but my phone couldn't access the router

any settings i can do to the router to prevent this?

2010-07-02, 17:37
Wrong. The man said he has network he need two ICMP probes - one to the router and one outside 4.2.2.2 for example. Note that -t is for defining time, in this case we do not need it, this is not windows CMD.

Yes I forgot about it as I'm just debugging something from a windows box XD. Edited back.

2010-07-02, 17:41
it stops pinging after 3 minutes... and i checked.. no internet...check on the router status.. my phone is still "connected" to the router..but my phone couldn't access the router

any settings i can do to the router to prevent this?

What do you mean by it stops pinging?

camelactive
2010-07-02, 17:58
means it stop pinging my router after 3 minutes of pinging..

acvetkov
2010-07-02, 18:13
do you have SSH access to the router or any web tool on the router from which you can initiate a ping to 4.2.2.2 for example? Other devices using wireless from the same AP?

ICMP probes - ping :)

Whats the settings for Wi-FI? Secured? If yes what encryption any specific setting running not by default? Lease Time?

JonWW
2010-07-02, 18:19
Check with the Netgear site for an firmware upgrade for your router.

I had a similar problem with a Netgear WPN802 wireless access point, upgrading to the latest firmware stopped WPN802 from dropping the phone even though the phone thought it was still connected. Didn't cause me any problems using the phone only when I tried to connect to the phone from the PC and with IM accounts as they couldn't find the phone.

camelactive
2010-07-02, 18:48
my e72 works fine with the network... no drop whatsoever
it's a secured wifi on WPA-PSK...everything else is in default..

i read around.. changing the power saving mode settings may help..but as far as i remember.. it didnt the work the last time as it was set as default(a bug many users encounter)..set to medium..same thing happened

it's either a bug on n900 side or my router......router is on the latest firmware though..

JonWW
2010-07-02, 19:00
How does it behave with other peoples routers?
Have you also reset the router, my N96 fell out with my router while everything else connected fine. N96 connected everywhere else fine, reseting the router fixed the connection problem and it has not had a problem since.