PDA

View Full Version : any n900 users in nyc? have you ever had 3g signal?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 03:16
I ask because before purchasing the unit I checked t-mobiles coverage map and saw that my area in queens was covered. but I have never had a 3g signal in nyc and I have been in manhattan queens and brooklyn. I guess I should have read more about t-moble and I would not trade my n900 for anything, but sure is disappointing speed on the t-mobile network.

syncdot
2010-07-04, 03:25
That's odd. When I travel to NYC, I do get 3G signals. Sometimes even 3.5G.

wmurpht
2010-07-04, 03:27
I ask because before purchasing the unit I checked t-mobiles coverage map and saw that my area in queens was covered. but I have never had a 3g signal in nyc and I have been in manhattan queens and brooklyn. I guess I should have read more about t-moble and I would not trade my n900 for anything, but sure is disappointing speed on the t-mobile network.

I consistently get 3g and 3.5g in midtown. Have had my n900 for a few months now and never had a problem with t-mo speeds in the tri-state area.

HeavyComponent
2010-07-04, 03:34
All the time! I'm located in Queens, NY.

extendedping
2010-07-04, 03:35
hmm this is not good then, I did buy it used but I did flash it. are there any settings I need to check? I kind of thought that it was not normal. last week I was consulting in midtown and kept checking, and nope never above 2.5. I guess call tmoble is the answer? coult this have anything to do with the sim card?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 03:36
All the time! I'm located in Queens, NY.

hmm hi fellow queesian, I am in jackon heights. I have tried it in astoria, bayside, and forest hills (by the barnes and noble) and never above 2.5.

Fresh Prince of Nowhere
2010-07-04, 03:39
That's odd. When I travel to NYC, I do get 3G signals. Sometimes even 3.5G.

Same here. It seemed like I never got under 3g when I was in NYC

extendedping
2010-07-04, 03:45
so something is defective with my phone? are there any settings I should be looking at?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 03:50
looking in settings under internet connections -- connections -- t-mobile internet, it says..."access point name" epc.tmibile.com...

knowing very little about this phone as of yet...does this have to do with where I am getting my signal from?

Laughing Man
2010-07-04, 04:00
Perhaps you downloaded some app that lets you manually set the cellular mode? Or AutoDisconnect? It might be that you set it to 2G and forgot about it.

extendedping
2010-07-04, 04:07
I do have autodisconnect running, but the only thing I see (on the general tab) which seems it could be relevant is "auto-switch 2g /3g-dual" and this is set to disabled.

I did not install that much extra stuff, but what application could I have that would be trapping me in 2g land?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 04:34
ok could someone check this? I go into settings -- phone -- pull down the page to network and I am set to GSM. I don't know that that means, but I do see 2 other settings. dual and 3g.

setting to 3g I get no cellular signal (granted I am in my apartment as I try this) and on dual I get as well no signal, but if I reboot with the setting on dual I do in fact get my 2.5 signal back.

so by default (I certainly did not change anything in that setting) are people set to gsm? which means that they would never get 3g? and that dual means you could in fact get either or?

help :(

dannycamps
2010-07-04, 04:44
so by default (I certainly did not change anything in that setting) are people set to gsm? which means that they would never get 3g? and that dual means you could in fact get either or?
help :(

If you are in an area where 3G coverage is available, you should have the network selection set to 'Dual'. What this will do is attempt to locate a 3G (or 3.5G) signal and fall back to 2.5 or 2G if it cannot find one.

Be aware that if you are in an area with spotty 3G coverage (or in other words the entire AT&T network :-) ), the phone will remain in 2.5G while continually searching for 3G ultimately causing shorter battery life.

I use T-Mobile in southern central NJ and I have no problem with 3G or 3.5G speeds.

extendedping
2010-07-04, 04:52
If you are in an area where 3G coverage is available, you should have the network selection set to 'Dual'. What this will do is attempt to locate a 3G (or 3.5G) signal and fall back to 2.5 or 2G if it cannot find one.

Be aware that if you are in an area with spotty 3G coverage (or in other words the entire AT&T network :-) ), the phone will remain in 2.5G while continually searching for 3G ultimately causing shorter battery life.

I use T-Mobile in southern central NJ and I have no problem with 3G or 3.5G speeds.

thank you for the information. so in other words, if the n900 is in gsm mode, and I am in the middle of the best 3g coverage area, I will never get above 2.5?

If this is the case, is this (gsm) the default mode set at the factory for the n900? I did buy it used off someone who used it on att but I totally reflashed the device to (what I presumed were) the defaults.

extendedping
2010-07-04, 05:20
well well, I had no signal in 3g mode, I go stand by the window, and for the first time ever on my device I get a 3.5 signal and I even watch a youtube video all the way through. then as soon as I back up about 2 feet from the window the connection fails. so I guess I do have 3g in my area. can I assume then that 2g or gsm (whatever it is called) is then more accessible meaning able to be used in buildings, whereas 3g really needs to be used outside? I mean I am not going to stand by my window to make a phone call :)

lichmd
2010-07-04, 05:39

I've had the N900 since November, great 3G and 3.5G in NYC, midtown, UWS, Soho, Tribeca, Most of Brooklyn and Forest Hills.
Make sure you have the right settings epc.tmobile.com
Cheers

extendedping
2010-07-04, 06:01
I've had the N900 since November, great 3G and 3.5G in NYC, midtown, UWS, Soho, Tribeca, Most of Brooklyn and Forest Hills.
Make sure you have the right settings epc.tmobile.com
Cheers

thanks that is my setting. and my phone was turned to gsm, I am not sure what I should have it turned to now, if on 3g I will not have phone in my house and if dual it will kill my battery. but at least I now know that at least 3g is in my area (if not in my apartment) :)

eladts
2010-07-13, 06:29
thanks that is my setting. and my phone was turned to gsm, I am not sure what I should have it turned to now, if on 3g I will not have phone in my house and if dual it will kill my battery. but at least I now know that at least 3g is in my area (if not in my apartment) :)

Dual is the default on a new phone. It does runs the battery faster than GSM, it isn't as bad as you seem to think. Buying a phone like the Nokia N900 and forcing it to use only 2G is like buying a Ferarri and always driving at 20mph max.

RFS-81
2010-07-13, 12:02
If you're not going to stick to dual, "3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet" might be worth installing - makes switching between the modes less a hassle.