PDA

View Full Version : auto disconnect, auto switch 2g / 3g dual mode?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 15:43
I looked in the wiki and I still don't understand exactly what this will do.

last night I found why in my one month owning the device I had never had a 3g signal. my phone setting was set to gsm. I then noticed that there are 2 other settings, 3g and dual. having the setting on 3g is not an option, as the phone function will only work if I stand by the window of my apartment. I tried dual and that does work but I read it is a real battery killer.

I then found the auto switch 2g /3g setting in the auto disconnect application and am hoping this can help. but I am a little confused on how it works or what settings I should have. so I will say, here is how I am setup now and here is what I want....

-- I am set to gsm in the phone application as I can't get 3g in my apartment (well only in one spot) and don't want to kill my battery using the dual mode

-- what I want...I want 2g set by default but when I connect through t-mobile, an attempt to use 3g to be made. however upon closing my internet connection I want my n900 to be automatically in 2g mode again. so....

I kind of think the auto switch may be what I am looking for, but I don't understand the settings in it. given what I want to do (again, service always default back to gsm (is that the same as 2g?) when I am not using the internet through t-mobile) and not have excessive and repeated attempts to find 3g when I am not on the internet....

what setting in auto switch should I use? dual or 3g? and what does "switch last x" (where x is a number) mean? and what number should I be selecting?

thank you for your help. If I can get this worked out, it will be great to head out to a 4th of july party knowing I have this worked out, and I have access to 2g/3g without killing the already fragile battery life...

extendedping
2010-07-04, 16:14
darm, I googled the issues and I just get my own post :(

DonDino
2010-07-04, 17:32
I don't know what the numbers mean exactly, but auto disconnect will do the job just fine for what you're looking for.

You set the phone to GSM (=2G) all the time, then set AutoDisconnect to switch to 3G (not Dual!). I don't think the X" numbers matter much.

Then, every time you connect, it will switch to 3G and connect. When you disconnect, it will revert back to 2G (GSM).

James_Littler
2010-07-04, 17:57
setting autodisconnect to 3g is great except if you cant get a 3g signal, in which case it gives you 0 signal and gives an error.

bandofbrothers
2010-07-04, 18:57
Choose the 3g switch to 6" as this gives the fone the longest not to drop connection.

extendedping
2010-07-04, 19:58
ok I admit confusion. I should??

set via phone app the mode to gsm, then go into autodisconnect app and under auto switch select 3g with the longest option? and the time interval??? means if I am connected to 3g and loose that signal, that interval is how long it will try to reconnect to3g before dropping to gsm which = 2g? Am I getting the concept?

extendedping
2010-07-04, 20:05
ok I admit confusion. I should??

set via phone app the mode to gsm, then go into autodisconnect app and under auto switch select 3g with the longest option? and the time interval??? means if I am connected to 3g and loose that signal, that interval is how long it will try to reconnect to3g before dropping to gsm which = 2g? Am I getting the concept?