PDA

View Full Version : does it make sense to exchange my unit?

vees
2007-04-11, 19:20
Hi,

I have purchased a N800 a couple of weeks ago and I have had problems with the internal card. A forumite advised me to remove it and put it back in - which indeed temporarily solved the problem. Today, however, the problem returned. I tried everything I could think about including trying other cards, holding it pressed with my fingers, but to no avail: the unit could not see the internet card (a 2GB card with adapter). I came back a couple of hours later and, lo and behold, the unit could see the card again.

SInce I purchased the unit on Amazon I have another week to exchange it. So here is my question:

Are *all* N800 units afflicted with this crappy card holder issue, or only some?

(I am also posting a little poll to see if most N800 owners had this problem)

In the latter case it would make sense to exchange, but in the former I rather keep the unit and not go through the hassle. Also,

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself?

Cheers & many thanks in advance for any pointers,

VS

nate the great
2007-04-11, 19:34
What card is it?

SeRi@lDiE
2007-04-11, 19:38
Did you updated your firmware to the latest?
The stock firmware has problems with surten cards its very picky... I was able to confirm that along with some other users here in the board... after the latest release the issue seems to be gone and all my SD cards work now.

Also reformat your sd card some times they can get corrupted and cause major issues...

vees
2007-04-11, 20:35
nate the great: the card is a transcend 2GB card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IVDGJI/002-9721782-3026424)

SeRi@lDiE: yep, I flashed the unit this morning so the firmware is new. I will reformat it though - thanks for the tip.

rickh
2007-04-11, 21:00
Hi,

I have purchased a N800 a couple of weeks ago and I have had problems with the internal card. A forumite advised me to remove it and put it back in - which indeed temporarily solved the problem. Today, however, the problem returned. I tried everything I could think about including trying other cards, holding it pressed with my fingers, but to no avail: the unit could not see the internet card (a 2GB card with adapter). I came back a couple of hours later and, lo and behold, the unit could see the card again.

SInce I purchased the unit on Amazon I have another week to exchange it. So here is my question:

Are *all* N800 units afflicted with this crappy card holder issue, or only some?

(I am also posting a little poll to see if most N800 owners had this problem)

In the latter case it would make sense to exchange, but in the former I rather keep the unit and not go through the hassle. Also,

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself?

Cheers & many thanks in advance for any pointers,

VS
I may be stating the obvious, but your comment about holding it pressed with your fingers prompts me to ask:

You're not trying to read the card with the back battery cover off, are you? It needs to be in place for the internal card to be seen.

This also applies if you've connected the device to a pc via USB. Neither card will be visible.

R.
==

Milhouse
2007-04-11, 21:58
rickh makes a very good point :)

There's a little magnet attached to the inside of the battery door (or should be attached - one forum member stated their magnet had fallen out) and the N800 senses the magnetic field whenever the battery cover is in place, automatically mounting the internal card. When the magnet cannot be sensed the N800 will unmount the internal card.

9a6or
2007-04-11, 22:17
Also, the 2nd SD card accessible under the stand is only available for read/write when its little plastic cover is closed.

vees
2007-04-11, 23:28
I may be stating the obvious, but your comment about holding it pressed with your fingers prompts me to ask:

You're not trying to read the card with the back battery cover off, are you? It needs to be in place for the internal card to be seen.

you know, I just might have done that. It simply never occured to me that the back cover might affect the card slot (I am totally new to PDAs/Internettablets/etc).

I guess I made a fool of myself (-: not for the first time either :-)

the thing which still bothers me is that the internal card is not as snugly fit as the removable one.

Anyway - thanks for the tip!