PDA

View Full Version : Sharp EM-ONE Hands-On

tabletfan
2007-04-13, 00:17
I just got back from a 2 week business trip in Japan, and was able to see the launch of the Sharp EM-ONE. There was a massive display and marketing push at the huge Yodabashi Camera store in Akihabara. Some observations...unfortunately my camera was back at the hotel.
(Note: I had a 770 and currently have an N800)

- The form factor feels better than the N800. The N800 to me is too slick due to the rounded edges (I also prefer the feel of the 770 over the N800). The weight, width and height feel similar to the N800, but is thicker due to the keyboard. I didn't find it to be too thick and could easily slip into a similar pocket as the N800.

1) The screen is comparable to the N800, and the NVidia video chipset is fast. Videos played full screen (using WM6) with no stuttering. Photos looked good.

2) Apps launched fast. Overall, I think the CPU felt faster than the N800.

3) Windows Mobile 5 is the OS. In my opinion, this is a much better mobile OS than the current version of Maemo. As stated on ITT, there are so many details with the the N800 interface and apps that just don't work correctly.

4) ActiveSync - WM5 syncs with Outlook and I can have all my calendars and mail there.

5) The browser was fast and the experience was similar to the N800. I didn't get to try YouTube videos though.

6) Full QWERTY Hardware Keyboard. There is an on-screen keyboard, but the vertical sliding keyboard was pretty nice to use and easy to type on.

7) 1.3 Megapixel camera. Sliding the keyboard horizontal turns the unit into a 1.3MP camera. It worked well and the pictures were not bad.

Basically that Sharp device looks like a N800 done right : no more messy and clunky Linux interface, real video playback capabilities, much better text input.

Milhouse
2007-04-13, 01:33
Looks very nice - several pictures and spec details on engadget here (http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/19/sharps-em-one-a-dual-sliding-pocketpc-with-HSDPA-and-WiFi/), although they reckon it's using WM5 (I'd be surprised, that's so last year and I didn't think WM5 supported 800x480) and the processor is an old-ish PXA270 as well (ARMv5, while OMAP2420 is ARMv6. I had the PXA270 in my iPAQ HX4700 3 years ago). Yet more details here (http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2007/4295.htm) on 3g.co.uk where again they confirm it is WM5.0. :(

While it looks nice, it's spoiled by the OS (though that reduces R&D considerably for Sharp) and I don't much care for the built-in phone functionality - I'm quite happy with BT DUN and a small phone. As a mobile phone the EM-ONE (and the N800 for that matter) is simply too big! :)

My only concern if Nokia have real competition in the Internet Tablet space is that Nokia will be compelled to pump out new hardware (great - support issues not withstanding!) with yet more unfinished, incomplete, unpolished software/firmware (not so great, and exactly the situation we've had with the 770 and N800 to date).

Nokia need time to get the software right with the limited resources (people) they appear to have working on the product, but unfortunately time is precisely what Nokia won't have when the competition - such as Sharp - begin muscling in on the market segment Nokia appear to have created. And hiring new resources is easier said than done.

dbec10
2007-04-13, 02:05
I really hope the paper pushers are Nokia are watching their marketshare dwindle. Perhaps it will get them to push some more paper and get the blasted N800 fixed!!! Sorry; not fixed, cause the hardware is fine, but consumer ready.

outZider
2007-04-13, 03:05
Too bad it uses Windows Mobile. Complete deal killer.

cucurigu
2007-04-13, 06:51
Nokia need time to get the software right with the limited resources (people) they appear to have working on the product, but unfortunately time is precisely what Nokia won't have when the competition - such as Sharp - begin muscling in on the market segment Nokia appear to have created. And hiring new resources is easier said than done.

I don't know if we should be taking sides so much - Nokia has created a good product but if Sharp enters the market and wins with a better tablet, I think we should be glad. Software wise, nokia hasn't really been up to the task - thank your local deity for the opensource movement because everything useful is signed by an outside individual.

Basically that Sharp device looks like a N800 done right : no more messy and clunky Linux interface, real video playback capabilities, much better text input.

I would tend to agree with the conclusion - even if an included keyboard isn't something I'm after and I consider linux a better alternative to WM. However I don't really understand all the WM5 bashing (I'm not associated with MS in any way :) ) - why would it ruin such a product ? Even if applications were not free at least you will have a lot to choose from and bootstrapping a linux is always a possibility ...

ArnimS
2007-04-13, 10:15
This is not a competitor for the following reasons.

1) Windows. A machine running 'big brother inside' is not a competitor to a free OS.

2) Price. $797... in japan. Expect european prices to be near 1200 euro. Not a competitor at 2x-3x the price.

TTgowings
2007-04-13, 10:20
And for only around $797.00 US.. Hence the problem with most all the "other" HH.

jpj
2007-04-13, 12:39
No contest on storage capacity either: 1 miniSD card for the Sharp, versus 2 full size SD/SDHC for the N800.

luketoh
2007-04-13, 12:50
I guess after all that's said, there is no perfect device. There's always something screwy. :)

Just as there are so many different opinions, there will be different devices to suit each individual's needs (or as much of them as possible).

BTW, since when has Nokia ever got the software portion right? I've been waiting for a properly working Nokia Suite for my N80 for ages. There's always something unfixed...and it's like several versions into it already. Ever since the first version of S60, their suite couldn't get the date sorting for SMS right (amongst other things)! I have just given up on them. I was hoping that the N800, being linux and all, would be better. Seems I underestimated Nokia. They can even screw this one up.

Luke

dbec10
2007-04-13, 15:45
I just wanted to find out what we mean by the word competitor. I also want to know what would be a comparable product.

To further explain.

Some say it is not a competitor because it uses windows mobile. Others say it is not a competitor because it has 1 SD card while the N800 has 2. What are we really saying?

Competition to my mind means that a product is competing against another in the same product segment/category. In this cause the product category would be the Ultra mobile internet market. If that is so, then wouldn't the EM ONE be a competitor since it is in the same market space as the N800? if however we are talking about comparable products, then you may have a point since the Nokia hardware does have some features the EM ONE does not and the EMONE has features the N800 does not.

But then there would never be a competitor to the N800 cause you would have to get another device built like the N800, looks like the N800 and have the same features as the N800. Which means the only competitor it would ever have is itself. I could go further and say that the 770 is not a competitor to the N800 even if it was made by a different company; because (if I were thinking like others) it does not have an FM radio nor does it have 2 SD slots capable of SDHC.

Intel and AMD are competitors, but Intel has/had Hyperthreading and AMD did not. AMD has 3dNow and Hypertransport and Intel does not. If we go a bit further and talk about products. The Athlon 64 has a internal memory controller the P4 and Core 2 processors from Intel do not. Yet they are competitors.

It's not about the featuers its about the market segment or product category. You could even say its about the type of customer the product is geared towards.

So think about this. Is the EMONE a competitor or not. I think it is.

dbec10
2007-04-13, 15:52
Does it target the same customers. Yes
We want something to put in our pockets that can browse the net and send email.
Do they both do that. Yes.

It's a competitor. OS is irrelevant.

The MAC is a competitor to the PC. A Unix server will compete with a Windows server.

What will make the difference is the individual features that the purchaser wants. For example whether he wants windows or Unix. Five hard disk or 2. SATA or SCSI. USB portsd or legacy Serial and parallel ports.

But the servers in their entirety, to function as servers are competitors.

Milhouse
2007-04-13, 15:53
This is not a competitor for the following reasons.

1) Windows. A machine running 'big brother inside' is not a competitor to a free OS.

2) Price. $797... in japan. Expect european prices to be near 1200 euro. Not a competitor at 2x-3x the price.

I believe it will be subsidised by the phone networks and retail in the region of $332 with a 2 year contract (in Japan) - $797 is without a contract.

I think it is a competitor to the N800 for those who just don't care about the OS, or those that don't care about OSS. There are many, many more people who don't care than those who do (like us).

The EM-ONE is definately the right form factor - 800x480 and similar size to N800, plus a keyboard - the only major difference is the OS, and most people don't care about what OS it uses. If they do care then Joe Public would most likely prefer Windows Mobile because they're familiar with Windows and it will work with their existing desktop PC etc. etc.

Linux, for all it's benefits, and the N800 specifically, fails to address the requirements of the general consumer who isn't interested in hacking and simply wants a PDA-type device that is synced with their desktop.

Milhouse
2007-04-13, 15:55
So think about this. Is the EMONE a competitor or not. I think it is.

I agree - it most definately is.

But only in Japan (currently) where you probably can't buy an N800 anyway. :) So we're safe for the time being. :D

tabletfan
2007-04-13, 16:00
The EM-ONE was $800 with no contract (wifi/bluetooth only), and approx. $400 with an unlimited 3.5G hsdpa (3.6Mps down!) dataplan ($40/mo). That is pretty good for being able to have network access anywhere you go.

A couple of additional points:
- The unit includes 2 browsers: Opera and Explorer Mobile
- The cursor joystick on the unit would work well with games.
- Bluetooth supports A2DP for wireless stereo headsets!
- The screen will rotate to portrait or landscape.
- There is VGA out.
- hsdpa is a provided by a card that sticks out from the side; there were many different types of cards available.

TTgowings
2007-04-15, 10:33
I tend to agree on some of the points about "competitors" to the N800/770 but I also tend to lean towards the reality of being able to walk into a store/shop and being able to purchase an item "off the shelf", and I guess this is where the lines tend to blur. We've all seen oodles of these "competitors" come and go but in reality how many have you actually SEEN in a shop in stock for sale ? That EM looks really cool but I highly doubt any Telco's would actually market that in the US, (except maybe for someone like Ampd) so probably you're looking at the $799 for that, so is a device that's twice the price still considered a competitor ?

dbec10
2007-04-15, 18:27
Does it stop being a competitor because you can't afford it; or does it stop being an option because you can't afford it.

TA-t3
2007-04-16, 11:11
IMO: Yes, and yes. (the last 'yes' is assuming you meant "can't" in both places). A Rolls Royce is not a competitor, or an option for my car either. Its competition is elsewhere..

dbec10
2007-04-16, 13:48
You are correct. The last "can" should have been "can't" and I fixed it just now. Also the Rolls Royce would not be a competitor to your car because it is in a different market segment. I Assume you are looking for an affordable "everyday" car. The Roll Royce however is a luxury car.

luketoh
2007-04-16, 14:13
Yup, all this means is how the businesses define the market segment they are in. If consumers were to define their own segment, there will be no end to this debate. :)

So to have a comparison, we should check with Nokia what the N800's target segment is, and we compare with what Sharp's target segment is for their device. If the segements are the same, then based on the above, we should have a non-emotional debate. If there is overlap of segments, then we can only look at the overlap portion to discuss. If your own personal needs are outside of the overlapped portion, then really, you are the best judge as to what is best for you.