PDA

View Full Version : RealPlayer

summit
2007-04-14, 05:27
I'm having a lot of trouble getting the N800 to play streaming radio (eg: BBC) - keeps busting up after 30 seconds or so. A couple of sites, including BBC, tell me I need RealPlayer installed but when I download the Linux version, the N800 won't install it, claiming "Installation file corrupted". Any thoughts out there?

hohlecow
2007-04-14, 18:31
YYou can play real audio with the builtin media player, but i don't know if there is a
plugin for opera or not. I have just typed in the BBC urls. (For example, the url for the
essential mix stream is: rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/essmix.ra)

aflegg
2007-04-15, 13:17
Opera will display a little icon when Real Video content is embedded on a page, tapping it will open it up.

Alternatively, the BBC also has a "Play in standalone player" option.

Both work well on the BBC (only RealVideo site I ever use).

darbax
2007-04-15, 15:31
On n800 with latest firmware, whenever I try a real audio stream on the bbc website (even in low res) I get the error "Unable to open. File format not supported."

There were some ra videos on bbc that did work and some that didnt a few weeks ago. But now I cant get any to work. Does anyone else get this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Kjell
2007-04-15, 16:33
Yes, I have the same problem here with Real audio and Real video. I more or less bought the N800 to be able to watch tv from www.svt.se (Swedish Television) and listen to radio from www.sr.se (Swedish Radio) :-)

Nasa TV at www.nasa.gov is a favorite channel here and it works great with Real video. I am very thankful if somebody could assist me.

Kjell

Kjell
2007-04-16, 16:22
I got confirmation from Nokia today that N800 does not support the real video streaming format on SVTīs web site. I am hoping that Nokia will do an upgrade for N800.
On SRīs web site I found the urlīs for streaming audio so now I can listen to them.

DavidCa
2007-04-16, 18:43
[I got confirmation from Nokia today that N800 does not
support the real video streaming format on SVTīs web site. I am hoping that Nokia
will do an upgrade for N800.
On SRīs web site I found the urlīs for streaming audio so now I can listen to them.

could you post the url?

/A fellow swede :)

summit
2007-04-17, 19:25
Thanks all for jumping in but nobody has actually answered my question: what do I have to do to get my N800 to properly play Internet radio? I have a wireless laptop side-by-side to the N800 and everything plays just fine on the laptop so it's not the Internet connection. But the N800 streaming keeps busting up when using the Media Player that came with the N800. So when I try to install the Linux version of RealPlayer, the N800 refuses to install it, saying the files are corrupted.

mykl99
2007-04-17, 22:28
You would need to have a version of Real Player compiled for ARM / Debian which may be why you are having problems. The Media Players handle some streams of audio but are extremely limited on bandwidth.

I haven't found it but there was a statement somewhere that only certain forms of Real Player files will play on the N800. I forget which kind though.

ORB or something may be your best bet - taking the file format and changing it to something that is better handled by the N800.

johsua
2007-04-18, 01:06
routing internet radio through orb is great. i highly recommend it.

elpaso
2007-04-18, 17:39
Strange and odd, odd and strange...

I listened to real audio streams for months without a problem, but since yesterday I'm not able to stream real audio anymore.

I'm using the latest fw on N800 and don't remember having installed/changed anything yesterday.

Streaming from my ubuntu works fine.

My test stream:
http://www.radio.rai.it/live/radio3.ram

Any hint?

Kjell
2007-04-21, 06:33
The urlsīs are here: http://sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/artikel.asp?ProgramID=2321&Artikel=787720

Good luck!
Kjell

Kjell
2007-04-21, 06:37
[

could you post the url?

/A fellow swede :)

The urlīs are here: http://sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/artikel.asp?ProgramID=2321&Artikel=787720

summit
2007-04-23, 19:16
So far, nobody seems to be able to help me. There's something about using something called Orb and otherwise links to a website in Swedish. Only elpaso seems to understand my problem. I'm just about ready to junk the N800 as a nice try but, in the end, just too much hassle and a big disappointment.

I repeat the problem: audio streaming simply doesn't work very well. It busts up after about 30 seconds. Some sites want a decent version of Real Player but when I download their Linux version and try to install it, I'm told the file is corrupted. Life is too short for this kind of crap.

jpaul
2007-06-21, 20:17
Will everyone get on Nokiaa's back to push for us to be able to access streaming video like bbc etc.

JP

Rufus
2007-06-21, 22:10
Hi - I had endless problems with BBC radio streams working then not working - they don't seam to be consistant with their encoding and URLs - but then it is a lot of content. I think some of the problem is in the web pages as if you stick to direct URLs to the RM feeds it works more oftern. Reciva Radio Portal https://www.reciva.com/ gives direct links which it checks regularly and you can set up a fave list. Even this way not able to get SR (stockholm in this case) working - I think you will have to fiddle with the orb to get that.