PDA

View Full Version : simple file download

Garfield360
2007-04-16, 20:27
Hi!

How can I download a single file froma URL? I've got a link and want to download this file. It is a videofile, which is opened by the mediaplayer, but it cant be played. But the format is supported. Possible with xTerminal?

Any suggestions?

TA-t3
2007-04-17, 11:21
You should be able to just click it in the browser and store it to disk (an option menu should pop up).

Or from an xterm:
Check if 'curl' is installed. It's on mine, so it's probably in one of the common repositories.
Then: curl http://url/filename -o destination_path/filename
(if you cd to the destination path (e.g. SD card) then just -o filename)

There's also 'wget' which works as curl but you don't have to specify -o, just cd to target directory first. But you will have to hunt around a bit to find 'wget' (it's not on my N800)

vees
2007-04-17, 12:36
the best download application I ever used is wget which I do not remember exactly where I got but from one of the repos listed here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44526&postcount=1)

Garfield360
2007-04-17, 15:54
Hi

I've found wget, but now Ive got another problem... how can I cd to the SDcard?
Which path do the Cards have?

TA-t3
2007-04-17, 16:14
In xterm, enter 'df -h'
You'll see several filesystems, including /media/mmc1/ and /media/mmc2/.
These are your SD cards (if you have two). /media/mmc1 is the external slot, mmc2 the internal one. 'df -h' will show the size of the filesystem, which is how I figured out which was which the first time (one of my cards is much larger than the other)

Garfield360
2007-04-17, 16:50
Hi! Tahnk works perfectly! Is there any tutorial for xterm? Would like to get to know more about Linux and xterm etc..

vees
2007-04-18, 01:44
Hi

I've found wget, but now Ive got another problem... how can I cd to the SDcard?
Which path do the Cards have?

All media in Debian is under, well, /media

and, /media/mmc1/ and /media/mmc2/ is where the cards are. Try the command 'mount' to get lots of info on all the mounted filesystems and their configuration.

HTH