PDA

View Full Version : Meego/Harmattan device speculation

codedivine
2010-07-22, 01:04
Has there been any info/rumors about the specifications of the upcoming "Meego" Nokia device? What are your thoughts wishlist?

(If there is a thread like this already, then please point me to it).

codedivine
2010-07-22, 06:42
Well since no one else seems to be responding, I will put my own speculation:

1. OMAP 3640 with 1GHz CPU
2. Overall form factor similar to N900 but perhaps with better keyboard.
3. Better camera.
4. HDMI output
5. AT&T/Rogers/Telus/Bell 3G band version please :)

blackbox
2010-07-23, 20:39
My speculation for the upcoming meego device will be something similar to the N8 in terms of hardware in addition to the following:

1. Strong 3D + processing chips (at least 1GHZ) matching or out matching what is currently available on other high end devices.

2. 512MB will have to be the minimum in terms of RAM.

3. The phone should support all world 3G bands (EMEA, US (tmobile + att), Asia, etc) , just like what they have done on the N8. This will be a huge success for Nokia if they so desire to penetrate into the US market as this will give all customers on GSM carriers in North America an option to choose who they want to go to on the best device. hopefully striking deals with carriers to subsidize the phone (I will still buy the phone at full retail if that is not the case :D ).

2. Carl Zeiss lens is a must on all phones sporting the meego OS.

3. Slim solid build construction + uni body aluminum with a keyboard

4. HDMI output.

5. 4'' inch display should be the max.

6. Nokia customized Meego UX on the device.

8. Refer to the N8 specification

bxbomber
2010-07-23, 23:23
What I would like for nokia to release and what they will release are prob two very different things.

I would love a 4+ inch plus phone similar to the evo or droid x with an amoled screen the real kicker would be a resolution of 960x540 not sure how possible that would be.

Processor I want an arm cortex a9 dual core, once again not sure how possible that would be. OMAP4430 - 720 MHz dual-core
dedicated gpu I think the omap already has one built in.

Camera, same as the n8 doesn't have to be 12 megapixel but same type of lens and flash to take great pictures.

multi touch screen, that's a given.

Full ovi maps with turn by turn navigation.
HDMI out

1 gig ram, and very minimum 16 hd with micro sd card.

hdmi out

Same penta band 3g as the n8.

hardware accelerated ux just like the symbian^3 make the eye candy look pretty.

Kangal
2010-07-24, 07:26
THIS is what I want (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=754585#post754585)

There could be sibling phones which are the same as that but differing in form-factor:
iPhone-like slab
QWERTY slide (not tilt)

And other one's like:
Slab with 1-9 number (T9) keys
Portrait slide with T9 keys
Blackberry-like form factor
Flip phone/clamshell
and other cool designs like the mid-flip/N8900/rotate QWERTY etc

And maybe another one which is the same as linked but cheaper and lacks some features (like GSM so it is purely console/PMP)

zymo
2010-07-24, 08:07
I think we are going to see a n9 with these specs:

1 ghz Omap3
512mb ram
64gb build in memory
12mp camera with carl zeiss lens, 720p recording, dual led
4-row qwerty
gps with more proper ovi maps and digital compass
thinner than n900 with aluminium body
bluetooth 3.0 and wlan b,g,n
microsd card slot (32gb), micro usb, hdmi tv-out (720p)
1500mAh battery

dave1010
2010-07-24, 08:46
Don't forget USB host / OTG. I wonder how thick the phone would have to be to fit a full USB port in. That would be awesome.

I'd like a 4.3" screen (probably still resistive as Easy Debian has small controlls) with hardware send/end call and menu buttons.

As for the OS, a kernal with CIFS/SMB support built in would be good. Anything really, as long as it't as least as open as Maemo.

codedivine
2010-07-24, 09:28
Well in one of the Maemo6 presentations, it was said that it will still be based on OMAP3 (but not which OMAP3 hence my guess of upgrade to OMAP 3640) and still have WVGA resolution (good enough I guess). They did say multi-touch capacitive screens. And as the first "meego" device is basically still harmattan, and since you cant simply switch out the hardware from a device under development, I think all of these still hold true.

edit: Link http://www.slideshare.net/peterschneider/maemo-6-technology-highlights

Dave999
2010-07-24, 09:45
I would loved to see an officaill meego for n900 instead of a new meego device with hw keyboard(n9?) and instead release some mainstream device without hw keyboard. then after a year or so release a relly good device with hw and a really good os.

I think meego will go in maemo's footsteps and be "unfinished" when its release later this year.

but nokias plan is, and has always been to pump out as many devices as possible. ready or not.

nseika
2010-08-08, 05:48
Thought but not wished...

Obsolence in 6-18 months without OS only upgrade path

volt
2010-08-08, 05:57
I was going to speculate about the N9, but then I remembered it will be input challenged - no stylus. So I decided not to spend any more time on such a limited use case product until the N900 gets too outdated.

theonelaw
2010-08-08, 07:37
I was going to speculate about the N9, but then I remembered it will be input challenged - no stylus.
So I decided not to spend any more time on such a limited use case product until the N900 gets too outdated.

The n900 will be the peak for some time to come,
remember how long it took to market -

The folk in India only just got it and it has been better part of a year
since first frothings. It will take quite some time for anything to appear.
Buy spare batteries, maybe even a backup unit
because nothing is on the horizon - and even if it was on the horizon
the racism-driven and bribery-politics approval policies around the globe only reluctantly
permit new-fangled power devices like the n900 through.

That said,
imagine all the ways just how bad the next device can fail, miserably.

1 - No ISO 8601 date-time format.
(You get your choice of jew-catholic-protestant-muslim-buddhist-Howling_at_the_moon date-time schemes)

2 They omitted the seconds display from the clock in the n900
Next version omits minutes as well, just shows lunar phase (see above)
Update - Wonko fixed this !

3 Cripple the software update process so that only people on approved networks can access repositories.
(right now anyone behind a firewall has no hope of downloading apps with the notably nice app manager
because there is no SSL access to the apps and the package descriptions are all for vanilla http)

4 Remote bricking. All they need to do is use that button once...
(On second thought maybe better buy two spare n900s....it may be longer than we imagine)
[ hackers with botnets will hold the management hostage - imagine being able to
remotely brick a million devices in a market with a single commit.
Would we refer to installing remote bricking as corporate suicide or what ? ]

5 Corporate, religious, and/or governmental settings lock-down
(peer-to-peer SIP does not work in the default Nokia implementation because they
wanted to lock you into having an account. No account - no communicate.)
They want to require accounts in every communications application - no freelance stuff allowed.
Thank some poor souls who fought the good fight that n900 has a linux kernel.
(You have noticed all the wailing for Android and M$ in the media?
It is as very disturbing to know just how strong the impetus is to
lock you out of your own property in favor of dumbed-down fingering.

Fingering in public should be embarrassing to the literate -
it basically says -
"Look at me -
- I am not only innumerate but functionally illiterate as well but -
- hey - I can use a smartphone."
[marketing prefers to use the term gesturing, but watching it whatever you label it is just as
entertaining as watching someone pick their nose at the dinner table.
Parents - do you let your teenagers Finger, in public ? ])

Let us fervently hope and inspire as best we can these folk to improve upon the magic of the n900.

That said, beware that trends of the past are the best prediction of the future.

If that holds true,
the screen on the next Nokia flagship should be 3inch or less.
See an optometrist for the immediate fix to that issue...

maxximuscool
2010-08-08, 08:08
I really hope the screen resolution is bigger than the iPooH4! atleast 1024x500px screen and OS running 16mil colours not 65k like the N900 maemo.

cjp
2010-08-08, 09:19
Well some facts about what Nokia has said the next device will be like:
- Capacitive screen with multitouch
- Screen continuing at 480x800 WVGA
- Processor based on the OMAP3 technology
- OpenGL ES support
- Full support for landscape and portrait orientated work
- QT
http://www.puhelinvertailu.com/uutiset.cfm/2009/10/10/tulossa_nokialta_maemo_6_tuo_kapasitiiviset_naytot _ja_monikosketuksen
I don't have an english language source, but this stuff is collected from the link above. Bear in mind that this is from a pre-MeeGo era, though. A time of "Maemo6".

Personal hopes:

- Huge battery
- same design as N900 in terms of screen slide technology and full QWERTY, although packaged in a body as slim as the N900's "body" to which the screen is attached to.
- Build materials: mostly plastic will do, as long as we get metal highlights.
- Finalized support for functions we all need: e-mail, phone functions, messaging functions, bluetooth tethering, wifi setup and use, decent appstore and regular support in form of software upgrades.
- At least 5MP cam with optics, very satisfied with this cam, although drooling a little over the N8's cam.
- Highly customizable (new features n functions, overclocking)
- Great web browsing xperience
- Smoothness all around OS with no compromises.

etuoyo
2010-08-08, 09:20
There is an intel event on 4th September and the guys at carrypad are expecting there to be a meego tablet on display.

http://carrypad.com/2010/08/06/intel-atom-event-sept-4th-berlin/

Edit: Not a Nokia device by the way, just to be clear. Nokia have said they do not currently have plans for a tablet device.

maxximuscool
2010-08-08, 09:26
The device has to be better than the Gayphone4, both processor, graphic and camera. also apps store!!!

cjp
2010-08-08, 09:30
The n900 will be the peak for some time to come,
remember how long it took to market -

U crazy, u know that?

ilovemmgo1
2010-08-08, 09:38
the n900 have 16 milion colours?????????

NvyUs
2010-08-08, 17:23
i recommend anyone thinking of buying this harmattan device aka n9-00 to not rush into it unless you don't care about update path to MeeGo 1.1, b/c i can see it already loads of ppl unhappy b/c they not getting official MeeGo 1.1.
Nokia need to come clean about upgrade path from day 1 so not annoy and lose more people, just let customers know where they stand from day 1 and then there can be no complaints later.

riahc3
2010-08-11, 13:41
802.11n is also pretty much 100%
Multitouch display is also pretty much 100%
The rest is pretty much "?"

Jedibeeftrix
2010-08-27, 09:30
certain:
4" capactive screen OLED (probably 800x480)
Omap SoC (probably 3)
512MB memory
32GB storage

want:
4" capactive screen (hopefully 960x540)
Omap SoC (hopefully 4)
1GB
32GB is fine

AlMehdi
2010-08-27, 09:57
want:
4.1" resisitive screen (hopefully 1024x680)
Omap SoC (hopefully 4)
512GB
32x16GB

No rootfs on nandflash

shady
2010-08-27, 20:15
- Stantum Resistive 4.0" SXGA+ (1400*1050, 4:3 it is less square) OLED screen 24bit color
- 4 row backlit, soft touch oleophobic keyboard
- 12.0 megapixel backlit sensor with auto-focus, 24x digital zoom, 720p video recording at 120 fps (with fast and slow motion modes) and Dual LED + Xenon Flash
- 128 GB Toshiba internal memory, 2 GB RAM and 8 GB ROM, microSDXC compatible memory slot
- Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP, wi-fi b/g/n with DLNA, GPS with a-GPS, Digital Compass, combo 3.5 mm *line/optical* spdif (in & out (2 ports)), microUSB 3.0, microHDMI 1.4 (audio out capable), built-in FM Receiver with RDS, & FM Transmitter, bi-directional stereo microphones, stereo norris audio hypersonic speakers (direct audio, instead of dissipating sound waves)
- GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 ; HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100; HSPA+ support up to 21 mbps
- 1.5 Ghz OMAP 4440 (A9) processor with SGX545 GPU ... DEDICATED AUDIO PROCESSOR !!! (Flat FR from RMAA is a MUST)
- 2.0 megapixel secondary camera (full screen front facing video calling at 2.0 megapixel resolution), Li-Po 1800 mAh battery, compass, gyroscope, accelometer, IR port

Russianhaxor
2010-08-27, 20:17
want:
Omap SoC (hopefully 4)
512GB
32x16GB

No rootfs on nandflash

Why OMAP? TI hasn't really shown much innovation in their OMAP series of SoC devices. If anything, I'd like to see a dual-core 1GHz Tegra. :)

RAZOR
2010-08-27, 20:18
want:
omap soc (hopefully 4)
512gb
32x16gb

no rootfs on nandflash

512gb? :o

wmarone
2010-08-27, 20:23
Why OMAP? TI hasn't really shown much innovation in their OMAP series of SoC devices. If anything, I'd like to see a dual-core 1GHz Tegra. :)

TI's OMAP series is extremely reliable with very good performance. Nokia has been working with them for a long time, and I suspect they've got the whole "support" thing down. Nvidia is an unproven vendor with a checkered packaging history as of late (on top of being dependent on TSMC,) so I can understand major vendors like Nokia being wary of touching their products, especially the Tegra2 which is their first somewhat up-to-date product.

No rootfs on nandflash
Well the rootfs will be on NAND no matter what, the only question is how fast the NAND is and the capacity ;p

ajflex
2010-09-04, 02:53
certain:
4" capactive screen OLED 1200x780
Omap 4 SoC cortex 9 mp dual core any thing pass 900mhz gpu 540 in my option (no snp dragon)

512MB ram and expandable to 2gb via micro sd 4gb up
1.5 gb virtual ram
2gb rootfs will be on NAND no matter what, the only question is how fast the NAND is and the capacity
48GB storage expandable to 64gb
running meego os 2.0
have the ability to as many as 8 eight home

ajflex
2010-09-04, 02:54
and good battery life
12 mega pix 720p 120 frame per sec to do slo mo
feature 60 frame per sec

taken pic in hd

video all codec avi 264 1080p 720p

shady
2010-09-07, 13:59
Samsung and LG are both pushing A9s by the end of this year. i feel its in nokias best interest to place themselves up above and beyond with an omap4440. it will be an also ran with a generations old SoC ... need to keep the platform ahead of the curve, else its doomed i feel.

tissot
2010-09-07, 15:25
Samsung and LG are both pushing A9s by the end of this year. i feel its in nokias best interest to place themselves up above and beyond with an omap4440. it will be an also ran with a generations old SoC ... need to keep the platform ahead of the curve, else its doomed i feel.

If you mean that Samsung A9 proc that will start mass production in 2H 2011. That's hardly this year. More in target with the rumoured second MeeGo phone to be released in Q2 2011.
I would love to see OMAP4 inside N9 but i don't belive we will see that inside N9 at all.

shady
2010-09-07, 16:33
... yea well samsung is creating their own instruction set ... so that does take time, however samples will be out next Q. you failed to say anything about the A9 showing up in LG phones actual for sale products this fall/winter. and since nokia isnt in the cpu programming business, seems that the stock TI SoC omap4440 should be avail.

just saying ... A8 is gonna be a hard sell amidst A9s ... even if its a trickle, itll be hard to convince ppl to buy an "highend" A8 even after merely one A9 comes out ... it curbs nokia technical positioning, for this device, the n900 was a nice surprise, i would hope that they continue to push the market. but all signs point to an older chip ... sad, i had "high" hopes

wmarone
2010-09-07, 17:26
... yea well samsung is creating their own instruction set ...
What are they adding?

however samples will be out next Q.
Wait, if Samsung's A9 samples will be out next Q that would put them behind TI, who are already delivering devkits and samples.

you failed to say anything about the A9 showing up in LG phones actual for sale products this fall/winter. and since nokia isnt in the cpu programming business, seems that the stock TI SoC omap4440 should be avail.
1. What LG phones are dropping with an A9?
2. OMAP4 chips are not yet in volume production, last I checked. At best Nvidia might be, but they're not exactly the most reliable of suppliers.

tissot
2010-09-07, 17:33
you failed to say anything about the A9 showing up in LG phones actual for sale products this fall/winter. and since nokia isnt in the cpu programming business, seems that the stock TI SoC omap4440 should be avail.

I failed to answer to that because i haven't even heard about it. :D

just saying ... A8 is gonna be a hard sell amidst A9s ... even if its a trickle, itll be hard to convince ppl to buy an "highend" A8 even after merely one A9 comes out

Don't get me wrong here i'm all for A9 as will many in this forum and people reading Engadget daily, but you are reading too much into spec list. Iphone will keep selling many months with it's almost copy of A8 hummingbird and non of the users will care what proc they got inside.

Nokia will probably use TI or ST-Ericsson (http://www.stericsson.com/press_releases/Smartphone_symbian_Nokia.jsp) most probaly for it's A9 core.

shady
2010-09-07, 19:07
tissot, all you had to do was ask ;): http://www.anandtech.com/show/3892/lg-optimus-series-smartphones-to-feature-nvidia-tegra-2-in-q4-2010

wmarone, adding their personal touch ... :P , but what exactly it is, im not 100% sure. but if TI is shipping and has been since feb, i dont think that they are spending a year just painting "samsung" over an A9

shadowjk
2010-09-07, 20:14
If they're creating their own instruction set, can they still call it A9?

shady
2010-09-07, 20:36
Samsung: Orion
LG: Tegra 2