PDA

View Full Version : Is Meego Tablet Phone Possible?

etuoyo
2010-07-24, 10:47
We have now seen an early build of meego for tablets and meego for mobile devices. I think the general concensus is that the tablet interface seems far far more exciting. To me Maemo 5 seems even far more exciting than what we have seen of meego so far (although presumably it will not suffer from the tons of bugs that plagued maemo 5).

Is there any possibility of someone releasing an internet tablet which doubles up as a phone and runs meego for tablets? Maybe a five inch screen device like the Dell Streak. I think I would snatch up such a device in a second. Or a 4 inch screen maybe.

I use my N900 alot for internet and as a media player and won't mind having to use a massive phone if it means a far more impressive internet experience and media player and most of all to have the amazing meego tablet interface.

In any event the Dell Streak seems just as comfortable to use as the brick like N900 which I have found to big to use with one hand (so have disabled autorotate and portrait option in all my apps which allow this). Of course the Dell Streak has no hardware keyboard but on such a huge screen it is less of a problem.

So is this a possibility or is there going to be a bar on manufacturers using the tablet interface on devices that double up as mobile phones?

If there is no such bar imposed is this going to be practically impossible? By this I mean will the processor, etc required to run the tablet version mean that the size of battery required to give it any sensible number of hours of use would be so big it could never fit into anything that functions as a mobile phone?

attila77
2010-07-24, 11:09
One of the points of MeeGo is that it tries to address a wide range od device formats, not just phones (handhelds in MeeGo lingo). Of course, no one can guarantee that Nokia will make a tablet (personally I wish it would), but there is certainly nothing barring vendors to do just that.

Venemo
2010-07-24, 11:15
Well, even on MeeGo phones I would prefer the "tablet" interface. It looks much better, and it also resembles the Maemo 5 UI more.

TBH, if there will be a MeeGo for the N900, I would much more prefer the tablet UI on that, too.

etuoyo
2010-07-24, 13:23
One of the points of MeeGo is that it tries to address a wide range od device formats, not just phones (handhelds in MeeGo lingo). Of course, no one can guarantee that Nokia will make a tablet (personally I wish it would), but there is certainly nothing barring vendors to do just that.

Hopefully someone will. I guess the more succes meego is the more manufacturers jump on board even if it will be hard to get them aboard from the outset with android having so much momentum and windows 7 mobile on the way.

tissot
2010-07-24, 13:42
I'm still most of all interested to see Nokias MeeGo handheld ui for it's devices, but i honestly couldn't be happier about the tablet ux. That is exactly what i want tablet ui to function and look. Hopefully we get some great hw for it from Nokia or somebody else.

Nokias meego tablet have been pretty much confirmed by Anssi Vanjoki and Eldar have also said that Nokia will have meego tablet out before end of this year if that means anything.

vivainio
2010-07-24, 15:25
IIUC the tablet stuff that was demoed was mostly built with Qt Quick, so there's no reason why stuff you like couldn't be easily "ported" across the UX's.

geneven
2010-07-24, 15:41
I'm surprised that someone wants a great Internet experience and a smaller tablet. I want a 7 inch tablet with a great Internet experience, and maybe a way to instant-watch my Netflixes too.

But then I was crying for a bigger tablet before the N900 too, but I was proven wrong -- book readers were shown to be a mere niche product with no potentiality, and big tablets have gone nowhere...

slaapliedje
2010-07-24, 15:44
While the concerns of the OP are valid, the beauty of MeeGo should be that company A may use one Interface for a Tablet, or even the same interface on a phone. Or company B may create a totally different user interface for their own devices.

The biggest problem I see with putting the 'tablet' MeeGo on a phone would be resolution and scalability of things. If you have a high resolution phone like the N900, there really isn't any reason that a more sophisticated UI could be created for it. With most other phones still only having a 320x400 or whatever resolution, then it would be more difficult to fit all the eye-candy.

slaapliedje