PDA

View Full Version : Free N800 faceplates

Texrat
2007-04-18, 15:37
***NOTE: THERE ARE NO MORE FACEPLATES, SORRY***

Pretty much the same deal as the 770 covers-- I have about 35 to 40 [updated] unused N800 faceplates (and *may* get a few more) in overall good condition. There may be fine scratches in some areas but nothing really bad.

To keep it simple, I'm using the same pricing. However, these things are even lighter and smaller than the 770 covers so postage should be cheap. Note that I will have to protect the faceplates from deflection which may make the packing just as bulky (I am using padded envelops and will add reinforcement).

The instructions and details are essentially a repeat from the 770 cover thread, with the exception that I am limiting shipment to 2 faceplates per person. See bottom of this page for faceplate removal instruction link.

1. Faceplates *may* have slight scratches or blemishes. However, as I noted above, these are generally good.

2. Faceplates will ship from the Fort Worth area, in Texas, USA, zip code 76248. They will be sent in padded envelopes with additional reinforcement (cardboard, newspaper, etc) as needed. I can get up to 2 faceplates in one pack.

3. Please calculate your own shipping based on your needs and the following criteria (changed; please read thoroughly before submitting a request):

-shipping is via the US Postal Service (www.usps.com)
-first faceplate is $2 for handling plus the shipping charges you calculate.
-every additional faceplate, up to 2 max, is another $1 for handling. Original shipping cost should not go up (these are very light).
-payment should be made to my paypal account, fabricator at cynicalsigns dot com (render into actual email address).
-make sure to include your full shipping info in the paypal payment; that's the only place I really need to see it.

4. Please do not email me unless you absolutely need to, and use the email address of my paypal account, not the address associated with this forum.

5. Please use this thread for general communications only; any messages including personal details should be via PM here.

6. If you intend to completely repaint the faceplate(s), or alter them significantly in any way, please let me know and I will send you ones with blemishes that won't matter in your use.

Note that there may be a slight delay between payment and shipping, but I'll get them out as soon as I can. I make no real profit from this endeavor.

EDIT: post for faceplate removal instructions--

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4320&highlight=faceplate?ipost=#9

rcadden
2007-04-18, 16:38
Forgive me, but are these simply replacement faceplates, or colored? Would it be possible to get colored (say, matte black or camo?)

Texrat
2007-04-18, 16:39
These are original, as you see on shipped devices. I can't provide any additional services such as painting, sorry.

GeerGuy
2007-04-18, 16:57
I don't understand what these are...I didn't think that the N800 came with a faceplate/cover.

Do you have any pictures?

Texrat
2007-04-18, 16:59

Please examine your device. The front of it is a metal faceplate. That's what I'm providing as replacements.

;)

rcadden
2007-04-18, 17:01
I live EXTREMELY close to you, could I do a local pickup this evening? I'd like to snag one to do some painting experiments.

GeerGuy
2007-04-18, 17:02
Oh I see, I thought that you were referring to a cover for the LCD...which would be nice! :)

Texrat
2007-04-18, 17:03
Well... that's a separate issue. It even has its own thread (or three)!

Texrat
2007-04-18, 17:04
I live EXTREMELY close to you, could I do a local pickup this evening? I'd like to snag one to do some painting experiments.

If I can get one home today, possibly. I will contact you via PM.

GeerGuy
2007-04-18, 17:05
Is it pretty easy to remove the original faceplate and install a new one?

It would be kewl to get one airbrushed with a design...

rcadden
2007-04-18, 17:06
The only issue that I see is all those little speaker holes. Might have to invest in a box of straight pins if I'm going to paint this thing.

Texrat
2007-04-18, 17:10
Is it pretty easy to remove the original faceplate and install a new one?

It would be kewl to get one airbrushed with a design...

Fairly easy. Search on "faceplate" here to find my instructions for removal (I will add the link to the original post too). Thoughtfix also has excellent instructions on his blog.

EDIT: instruction link added to original post in this thread.

Texrat
2007-04-20, 17:19
I picked up some more faceplates! I now have maybe triple what I started with. Not sure if I can get more though.

As to the requests I've already received, they may not go out until next week. Hang tight!

SeRi@lDiE
2007-04-20, 18:45
let me know when they are available I am interestd.

Thanks!

Texrat
2007-04-20, 18:54
Technically they're available now-- I just have a short-term transportation issue with them, which should be resolved over the next several days.

YoDude
2007-04-20, 20:09
Pretty much the same deal as the 770 covers-- I have about 35 to 40 [updated] unused N800 faceplates (and *may* get a few more) in overall good condition. There may be fine scratches in some areas but nothing really bad.

To keep it simple, I'm using the same pricing. However, these things are even lighter and smaller than the 770 covers so postage should be cheap. Note that I will have to protect the faceplates from deflection which may make the packing just as bulky (I am using padded envelops and will add reinforcement).

The instructions and details are essentially a repeat from the 770 cover thread, with the exception that I am limiting shipment to 2 faceplates per person. See bottom of this page for faceplate removal instruction link.

1. Faceplates *may* have slight scratches or blemishes. However, as I noted above, these are generally good.

2. Faceplates will ship from the Fort Worth area, in Texas, USA, zip code 76248. They will be sent in padded envelopes with additional reinforcement (cardboard, newspaper, etc) as needed. I can get up to 2 faceplates in one pack.

3. Please calculate your own shipping based on your needs and the following criteria (changed; please read thoroughly before submitting a request):

-shipping is via the US Postal Service (www.usps.com)
-first faceplate is $2 for handling plus the shipping charges you calculate.
-every additional faceplate, up to 2 max, is another $1 for handling. Original shipping cost should not go up (these are very light).
-payment should be made to my paypal account, fabricator at cynicalsigns dot com (render into actual email address).
-make sure to include your full shipping info in the paypal payment; that's the only place I really need to see it.

4. Please do not email me unless you absolutely need to, and use the email address of my paypal account, not the address associated with this forum.

5. Please use this thread for general communications only; any messages including personal details should be via PM here.

6. If you intend to completely repaint the faceplate(s), or alter them significantly in any way, please let me know and I will send you ones with blemishes that won't matter in your use.

Note that there may be a slight delay between payment and shipping, but I'll get them out as soon as I can. I make no real profit from this endeavor.

EDIT: post for faceplate removal instructions--

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4320&highlight=faceplate?ipost=#9

YOU DA MAN!

I'm in for 2 they can be blemished but not scarred. I think I'll chrome one for kicks and grins and paint the other. :)

Paypal to follow when I get home.

Texrat
2007-04-20, 20:39
It's a shame the faceplate isn't easier to pop out. Lots of opportunity for customization there...

vtroneg
2007-04-20, 21:43
How much weigth is the 2-faceplate (including the shipping material)?
I need to put the number in usps.com

SeRi@lDiE
2007-04-20, 22:04
Texrat sing me up for 3.
Please let me know the total pay pal is on the way

Texrat
2007-04-21, 00:11
How much weigth is the 2-faceplate (including the shipping material)?
I need to put the number in usps.com

Right now I have no way of knowing, because I have no scale that can tell. It's very light though... like maybe an ounce or 2.

YoDude
2007-04-21, 00:18
It's a shame the faceplate isn't easier to pop out. Lots of opportunity for customization there...

Yeah there is...

rhouge
2007-04-21, 03:04
If you still have some of these available sign me up for 2.

Texrat
2007-04-25, 17:33
Ok, I managed to deliver one order (by hand!) so far, but transitioning from my old location/role to my new one has really consumed the bulk of my time. So I apologize to those who have paid for shipping and are still waiting, and ask that you bear with me a bit. I *will* get your faceplates to you!

rcadden
2007-04-25, 18:56
Thanks, Texrat. I bought paint last night and will be documenting the painting (and faceplate swap) WELL. Should have pics up by the weekend. Might do it tonite.

Texrat
2007-04-25, 19:35
Hope it works out for you! I look forward to seeing the results.

rcadden
2007-04-26, 13:41
http://symbianguru.typepad.com/welcome/2007/04/n800_modding_fu.html

Pics of the results available above.

I put 2 coats of primer on, and then three coats of black, and the camo is obviously several different layers.

Texrat
2007-04-26, 16:59
Absolutely awesome work, rc! Glad the faceplates worked out for you.

I'm going to let me wife airbrush a couple for my kids. Better yet, I might just primer them and let the boys have at it themselves!

remjax
2007-04-27, 13:22
I'm in for a couple IF they are still available.

Thanks

Texrat
2007-04-27, 13:42
I'll provide an update after I ship out the current requests.

Texrat
2007-05-03, 04:00
UPDATE: I apologize to some of you for the delays. I received more orders than I could handle in a very short time. I ran short and am working to replenish my personal inventory but experiencing a temporary material movement issue. I will have more very shortly. Hang tight!

Texrat
2007-05-04, 02:53
Okay, I delivered another batch. More will be going out early next week, so please be patient!

Also, remember when you order to specify quantity. It will also help if you let me know how many of those you'll be refinishing in some way.

Enjoy!

Texrat
2007-05-11, 18:01
Great news! My crap finally got delivered to my new workplace-- including the remainder of the faceplates! I will be shipping more out tomorrow. Sorry again for the delay!

james.bottomtooth
2007-05-12, 03:42
sorry if this has been answered, but where are you getting them from?

(if not a secret)
i assume it's one of those deals by accident, from a russian sailor in the port in exchange for some heroin? ;)

Texrat
2007-05-12, 05:18
Well... they were scrapped out is all I can say. Rather than watch them go to the dumpster or recycler, I decided to see if someone could use them. Same with the 770 slip covers (which I now have a few more of).

uNtouched
2007-05-12, 06:41
Texrat,

If you have 2 more, count me in, I don't care if one is scratched up, it's getting primered and sprayed...but I would like one in decent condition...but if they're both scratched, I don't mind, I'll just spray both of them. Thanks.

james.bottomtooth
2007-05-12, 07:20
i probably wouldn't mind getting one for some funky design, like tiger stripes :D but i'm afraid to open it just yet.

Texrat
2007-05-12, 15:21
Now's the time to put in orders, because I just brought home about 20, I have new shipping envelopes, and I'm ready to go!

I am shipping some out here today, very shortly. But a reminder: PLEASE include your shipping address in your paypal payment! Some people have not and I have to hunt down the information.

uNtouched
2007-05-15, 04:44
Do I just PM you with my info?

Texrat
2007-05-15, 04:57
Do I just PM you with my info?

You can actually include the info in your paypal request, to make it easier on both of us!

So far I show I'm current with all requests-- as far as shipping goes. If by the end of the week someone hasn't gotten theirs, let me know here. Also, if any are damaged, I will replace them on my nickel. Still have a bunch to send!

EDIT: oops-- Sherif Nix, I need your complete address! It wasn't in your request!

maxilogan
2007-05-15, 07:23
You can actually include the info in your paypal request, to make it easier on both of us!

So far I show I'm current with all requests-- as far as shipping goes. If by the end of the week someone hasn't gotten theirs, let me know here. Also, if any are damaged, I will replace them on my nickel. Still have a bunch to send!

How much will it take to send them to italy? I have no problem regarding time, my N800 is ok at the moment, but I'd like to have a spare.

Texrat
2007-05-15, 12:07
Maxi, I have no idea! I would need a postal code to calculate.

maxilogan
2007-05-15, 12:14
Maxi, I have no idea! I would need a postal code to calculate.

well, my postal code in italy is 41030, but I guess there would be no difference from one to the other ;)

Texrat
2007-05-15, 15:36
well, my postal code in italy is 41030, but I guess there would be no difference from one to the other ;)

Shipping is either $10 or $20 depending on how the post office interprets the package. Wow, that shocked me! I've shipped to other countries for less! I suspect the $10 is correct though, plus the packaging/handling.

vash
2007-05-16, 04:18
Yesterday, I received the 2 faceplates that I ordered from texrat. (Thx Texrat)
I live in Canada and I would love to tell you guys how long it took for shipping - but I have no idea when it was shipped. There is no date on the envelope.

I'm planning on painting mine, so I asked for the blemished ones and they only have a few light scratches. So if any of you are planning on painting them, there should be no problems there.

james.bottomtooth
2007-05-16, 04:59
Well... they were scrapped out is all I can say. Rather than watch them go to the dumpster or recycler, I decided to see if someone could use them. Same with the 770 slip covers (which I now have a few more of).

oooh, are they from people dropping them and such? :D

Texrat
2007-05-16, 12:08
oooh, are they from people dropping them and such? :D

No... never dropped. Let's say they were a casualty of a closing plant and leave it at that. ;)

And to vash: glad you got yours. It shipped out 5/5/2007.

NokNok770
2007-05-25, 03:49
Texrat I order a couple from you. Let me know if you got the funds and if it's enough.

SeRi@lDiE
2007-05-25, 04:32
Same here please let me know.

Thanks.

Texrat
2007-05-25, 13:04
I'll work on those orders today. I need to go buy some more envelopes first-- these things are going like crazy! ;)

SeRi@lDiE
2007-05-27, 07:31
I'll work on those orders today. I need to go buy some more envelopes first-- these things are going like crazy! ;)

Sweet let me know when it goes out.
I can wait for this killer project!

:D

Texrat
2007-05-29, 16:28
I have received payments since May 22 from 4 people, 2 US and 2 international. The 2 US requests went out in today's mail (yesterday was a holiday here). International orders should go out some day this week (when I can make it buy post office).

Texrat
2007-06-04, 04:44
UPDATE:

I apologize for not yet fulfilling the latest international face plate requests. I've been busy preparing for my trip to Finland this week and have not been able to get by the post office at a good time. However, I will knock off work early one day this week to get them out.

Texrat
2007-06-07, 04:36
Before I took off, just wanted to keep my promise: all outstanding faceplate requests were fulfilled today, including 3 international shipments. Also, I had to resend a 770 cover that got waylaid somewhere.

anidel
2007-06-15, 11:02
Can I still order one of them ?

Texrat
2007-06-25, 05:56
Can I still order one of them ?

Absolutely. 2 if you like!

nedim
2007-06-25, 11:12
Absolutely. 2 if you like!

Texrat, I know I'm late, but any chance of getting one any time soon?

Thanks.

Texrat
2007-06-25, 13:19
Texrat, I know I'm late, but any chance of getting one any time soon?

Thanks.

Certainly! I still have many left.

anidel
2007-06-25, 15:04
Okay I want to order 2 :)
You'll have info's thru paypal.

Thanks

anidel
2007-06-26, 13:32
Sent the payment for two faceplates.

Texrat
2007-07-02, 21:51
To those who recently requested faceplates: I apologize for the delay getting them out. I haven't forgotten!

munky261
2007-07-08, 18:25
do you have any faceplates left?

xellaphan
2007-07-08, 19:14
Yes, I too would like to order one. I just need to know If you still have any as I would like to order one or two. I see the contact info via paypal on your 1st post, but just want to make sure U still have some. Thanks!

anidel
2007-07-10, 06:49
To those who recently requested faceplates: I apologize for the delay getting them out. I haven't forgotten!

Patiently waiting :)

Texrat
2007-07-10, 07:23
Patiently waiting :)

Is yours the overseas order? If so, I ran into a customs issue. Until recently they never asked questions. NOW I'm getting all sorts of grief, and having to fill out an extra form. Hang on, the foreign orders should go out Wednesday. Sorry!

And yes, still a handful left. I need to do a count...

anidel
2007-07-10, 09:03
Is yours the overseas order? If so, I ran into a customs issue. Until recently they never asked questions. NOW I'm getting all sorts of grief, and having to fill out an extra form. Hang on, the foreign orders should go out Wednesday. Sorry!

And yes, still a handful left. I need to do a count...

If mine is the only overseas order then yes, that's mine.
You should have it shipped to Italy.

Don't worry, take your time.. I am not in a hurry.

kudos1uk
2007-07-10, 21:39
Hi Texrat, did you get my PM, I'm in the UK just need to know how much to send you to cover shipping (2 covers) my UK postcode is BH24 1XU.

Many thanks Tony

Texrat
2007-07-13, 20:20
Tony, see the calculation instructions in the original post.

Texrat
2007-07-16, 03:34
I have to call a temporary halt to shipping faceplates while I fulfill a deluge of requests and then check remaining inventory. It's starting to get really low, so I may be near the end. Same goes for 770 covers.

Also, I received 2 requests with no shipping address (not counting one where the guy realized his error afterward). I will send emails to those persons.

rcadden
2007-07-17, 13:28
Let us know, I'd like another N800 one for a project. thanks.

tobiasj
2007-07-17, 14:36
Are there any more of these left? I certainly would like one or two. unblemished if there are still some.

Thanks!
-John

Texrat
2007-07-18, 03:21
Unfortunately, that's it. I should be able to fulfill most of the current requests but may have to refund the last few. I apologize, but I can't get any more... :(

Rtalian
2007-07-21, 01:57
I guess I got in just under the wire. I got mine today, Texrat (after trying to figure out what this random package was :o haha). Thanks a lot!!!!

tsisson
2007-07-21, 21:36
Doh! Think I'm the other missing address. PM sent.

tsisson
2007-07-25, 23:37
Got mine today. Thanks for taking the time to do this Texrat.:)

Texrat
2007-07-26, 01:57
No problem! I'm just sorry that's it (after I fill the last few I have).

anidel
2007-07-27, 14:35
I am still waiting for mine..
Ritalian, as I suppose you are from Italy too, do you know how long it took to be delivered to you ?

BTW I ordered two, but I actually don't really need any of them, I got them just in case. But if you haven't yet shipped them, I am willing to gift one (as long as they pay you the shipping cost) to someone who really needs it.

Texrat
2007-07-27, 17:12
Sorry, anidel, I seem to have lost my paperwork for you. Very embarrasing. I will refund 100% of what you sent and then ship you 1 faceplate. Again, my apologies. I let you down. :(

anidel
2007-07-27, 17:36
I won't accept a full reimbursement! Just ship one and I gift the next buyer one faceplate or even better I pay you a beer :)

Rtalian
2007-07-28, 14:37
I am still waiting for mine..
Ritalian, as I suppose you are from Italy too, do you know how long it took to be delivered to you ?
Sorry, anidel..I'm in the US. My ancestors were from Italy :p

kudos1uk
2007-08-01, 10:56
Hi Tex,

Have you been able to ship my 2 face plates I paid on 15th of last month.

Many thanks
Tony

anidel
2007-08-01, 11:55
Sorry, anidel..I'm in the US. My ancestors were from Italy :p

Oh sorry I've read "rItalian" and not Rtalian :D
Well I was close enough anyway :P

ehehe

Have a nice vacation (it's August after all)

Texrat
2007-08-09, 19:20
I have to apologize again: my wife was supposed to mail the last 2 out while I was traveling. She admitted today she has not. : / She promises to do so today (US CST time).

Naranek, since we weren't able to meet up, yours was mailed today from Salo.

gammer
2007-08-13, 10:18
No more faceplates from Texrat?? What's a pity... BUT at least in Europe (other countries upon request by eMail) you can buy faceplates here: http://www.handyersatzteilshop.de . I've just ordered mine...

Texrat
2007-08-18, 17:08
Ack, it's in dutch!

Karel Jansens
2007-08-18, 20:09
Ack, it's in dutch!

German.

Which is like Dutch, with more dots. :rolleyes:

Oh, in case you wanted to know where to find the faceplates: it's in "Handy Oberschalen" and then kinda follow the obvious clues...

Interestingly, and despite all claims to the contrary on this forum, those pesky Germans still classify the N800 as a "Handy", i.e. a phone.

Damn their hides! Didn't two wars teach them anything? Oh no, don't mention the war...

gammer
2007-08-27, 22:32
German.

Which is like Dutch, with more dots. :rolleyes:

Oh, in case you wanted to know where to find the faceplates: it's in "Handy Oberschalen" and then kinda follow the obvious clues...

Interestingly, and despite all claims to the contrary on this forum, those pesky Germans still classify the N800 as a "Handy", i.e. a phone.

Damn their hides! Didn't two wars teach them anything? Oh no, don't mention the war...

Karel: yes, don't mention it, except you really know what you are talking about (but hey, in this case you would not have THIS association...)

Just type "n800" into "Artikelsuche" (search), then go through the pages. There is a lot more for the n800 than just facesplates. They have phone support in English. I've received my replacement faceplate a few days ago.

anidel
2007-09-14, 16:39
Sorry, anidel, I seem to have lost my paperwork for you. Very embarrasing. I will refund 100% of what you sent and then ship you 1 faceplate. Again, my apologies. I let you down. :(

Just an update: I got my faceplate a bunch of days ago.

caseyatbt
2007-09-26, 22:07
Did any one end up with an extra faceplate that they can part with? I just got an N800 and missed the giveaway.

Thanks

Scarflash
2007-12-07, 05:56
Dang...25 euro is a a lot compared to freeeee.

Texrat
2007-12-18, 08:01
Sorry guys...

Cptnodegard
2007-12-24, 21:11
Does anyone have any pics of the faceplates? Would be nice to see even if i cant have one myself :)

ch8xy
2007-12-24, 22:20
Now if I could find a replacement stand!