PDA

View Full Version : Evopedia Qt

crei
2010-07-25, 20:06
Dear users,

recently, the offline Wikipedia viewer Evopedia has been reimplemented using Qt technology.
A first alpha version is available from http://evopedia.info/evopediaqt
It should still contain some bugs but is already usable. The usual disclaimers for alpha versions apply.

Some remarks:
Save the binary file to your device and run it from the terminal (using ./evopediaqt in the respective directory).
You have to stop the old evopedia server as it blocks the TCP port. Just use the "exit" button.
Zooming in the map is possible via the volume buttons.
When you open an article, a new (browser) window is opened, so to search again, you have to go back to the old window.

Have Fun!

amh
2010-07-25, 20:12
Looks brilliant, look forward to having a go with it.

Many thanks

vivainio
2010-07-25, 20:18
Do you need help with packaging or getting it to extras-devel?

amh
2010-07-25, 20:32
Just in case anyone runs into the same problems as me, put the binary into your home/user/ directory, not Mydocs, and run

chmod +x evopediaqt

to make it executable. Apparently Mydocs is a fat32 partition so doesn't like file permissions.

amh
2010-07-26, 12:13
I know this is an alpha version, but I thought I'd report a couple of issues that I found anyway.

Whilst offline, there are repeated requests to select a network while browsing articles. This can get a little annoying after a while, but nothing more.

Again whilst offline, attempting to go into maps gives a stream of 'Network connection' errors. I can only get these to stop by quitting Evopedia entirely. It also dumps a load of error messages to the terminal:

QMaemoInternetConnectivity has received an error message.
Name: "com.nokia.icd.error.iap_not_available"
NOTE: Please ignore this error message if you are running your application in scratchbox

Hope this helps.

Cheers

crei
2010-07-26, 21:14
I know this is an alpha version, but I thought I'd report a couple of issues that I found anyway.

Whilst offline, there are repeated requests to select a network while browsing articles. This can get a little annoying after a while, but nothing more.

Again whilst offline, attempting to go into maps gives a stream of 'Network connection' errors. I can only get these to stop by quitting Evopedia entirely. It also dumps a load of error messages to the terminal:

QMaemoInternetConnectivity has received an error message.
Name: "com.nokia.icd.error.iap_not_available"
NOTE: Please ignore this error message if you are running your application in scratchbox

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thank you for your reports. I'm not really sure how to handle the first issue. The cause of the connection requests are the images that are directly linked to the internet servers. Actually the best solution would be to add some button "don't annoy me for the next 15 minutes" to the connection selection dialog. But I think I will rather scan the whole article and transform the links. The second issue is of course a real bug of the application.

Apart from bugs, what do you think about the general UI design and usability?

amh
2010-07-29, 17:26
I like the new Qt ui a lot, it feels a lot more responsive then the old version. The actual browsing of articles in MicroB can be a bit painful however since it will occasionally refuse to open links. I guess this is a bug, but one I can't consistently reproduce.

In the maps, an option to hide the wikipedia icons would be handy. At certain zoom levels they can completely obscure place names making navigation awkward. They could then be re-enabled when the place of interest has been found.

I'll post back if I notice anything else. Thanks again for your work on this.

geobueck
2010-08-02, 18:02
thank you for the great work...the system runs stable for me...i am satisfied....i only have to get used to the new "look" and that there are 2 "windows" open while using evo.....1 for search and 1 for results (browser)......but i can live with that!

magnunor
2010-08-06, 10:47
Would it be possible to view the articles in Evopedia by using some kind of rendering library? Like FeedingIt (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39276) where it is possible to view webpages without using one of the regular browsers.

crei
2010-08-10, 21:36
Would it be possible to view the articles in Evopedia by using some kind of rendering library? Like FeedingIt (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39276) where it is possible to view webpages without using one of the regular browsers.

The regular browser was chosen because I think it is much more comfortable than (for example) QtWebKit. Of course, if enough people want it, I can also add an option to view the articles in a browser window as part of the application.