PDA

View Full Version : Strange Wifi Issue

S14VH45
2010-07-27, 13:24
I just got my N900 and it has the weirdest issue with Wifi web browsing:

i can browse the web and use skype without any troubles over 3G

Skype works perfectly through my Wifi connection and i can login to the router without any issues BUT both the standard web browser and firefox do not work. They both give the "Server not found" error as if there is no internet connection.

I have checked the settings on my laptop, all i had to add was the DNS.

I can make skype calls perfectly over wifi.

i have rebooted the phone, router and modem plenty of times and even reset my router to default settings. im out of ideas. HELP!

Tsourounakis
2010-07-27, 14:30
I had the same issue, is your green availability dot flashing or solid green?

jd4200
2010-07-27, 14:47
Try visiting a site by IP to see if it is a DNS problem.
Do you have any proxy settings in: settings>internet connections>"x">advanced.

neotalk
2010-07-27, 15:08
is it a new router? i have talk talk as my isp and my old thompson router works fine with my n900....the new flash ( pile of crap) one they sent me at the beggining of the year (huawei) shows my ip but little else....broswer does not work weather app nnot work etc....so just wondering if you have just aquired the router you refer to?

chicaman
2010-07-27, 16:24
I've got this issue where when I connect to wifi, I can browse and receive email, but i could not upload any pictures through facebook plugin or could not send out any email.

if i use 3G all problem solved, anyone can help? PLEASE!

S14VH45
2010-07-29, 15:37
I had the same issue, is your green availability dot flashing or solid green?

It is solid green and i can make calls fine. What did you do to solve the problem?

Try visiting a site by IP to see if it is a DNS problem.
Do you have any proxy settings in: settings>internet connections>"x">advanced.

Do you know of an IP i can use to test?

No proxy settings for my home internet.

is it a new router? i have talk talk as my isp and my old thompson router works fine with my n900....the new flash ( pile of crap) one they sent me at the beggining of the year (huawei) shows my ip but little else....broswer does not work weather app nnot work etc....so just wondering if you have just aquired the router you refer to?

nope, have had the same linksys wrt54gs for years. for some reason it doesnt like forwarding the DNS automatically but that's the only issue it's ever had and is an easy fix.

I am starting to wonder if this is a firmware glitch or software issue? what's the best way to reflash or completely restore the phone to original settings?

S14VH45
2010-07-30, 14:21
Tried to use the web browser with a few Wifi hotspots today, it's definitely not my home internet causing the problem

Larswad
2010-07-30, 14:26
try in terminal:

sudo gainroot
nslookup talk.maemo.org

and see if you get any good ip from that name.
If you don't, you have a dns problem in your router or isp.

Kechit
2010-08-05, 05:15
nslookup returned an ip....modest works...but firefox or app manager doesnot work...