PDA

View Full Version : Which programming language should I use?

Berserk
2010-07-28, 02:33
I'm eager to start developing for Maemo/N900, since I've got some ideas for useful apps that I'd love to create, rather than request.

For example: labled folder icons on the desktop, which open up a statusbar-style pop-up menu with shortcuts to chosen apps, a sort of ApMeFo on the desktop, so to say.. to save precious desktop space, obviously. (I haven't found an exisiting app that does this)

..but I'm really confused about how to start :(
Well, at least I have the Nokia Qt SDK (v1.0 I believe) installed!

I've seen/partly read the topic Windows Python and Qt in 30 mins (talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43663), for which I'm thankful, but I also see Qt development in C++ elsewhere. Moreover, that C++ seems to be different, with new Q includes and things.
And then I read about needing to install PyQt on the N900 :confused: but that is included in PR1.2 I believe..

In any case, with what language should I start, and how? I'd like to get better in C++, but I don't know the Qt specific 'words' in the language, and Linux packages are also abracadabra to me at the moment :P
There's just too many things coming towards me now :D

uvatbc
2010-07-28, 03:00
I'm eager to start developing for Maemo/N900, since I've got some ideas for useful apps that I'd love to create, rather than request.

For example: labled folder icons on the desktop, which open up a statusbar-style pop-up menu with shortcuts to chosen apps, a sort of ApMeFo on the desktop, so to say.. to save precious desktop space, obviously. (I haven't found an exisiting app that does this)

..but I'm really confused about how to start :(
Well, at least I have the Nokia Qt SDK (v1.0 I believe) installed!

I've seen/partly read the topic Windows Python and Qt in 30 mins (talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43663), for which I'm thankful, but I also see Qt development in C++ elsewhere. Moreover, that C++ seems to be different, with new Q includes and things.
And then I read about needing to install PyQt on the N900 :confused: but that is included in PR1.2 I believe..

In any case, with what language should I start, and how? I'd like to get better in C++, but I don't know the Qt specific 'words' in the language, and Linux packages are also abracadabra to me at the moment :P
There's just too many things coming towards me now :D

If you have to ask "which programming language" then the answer is always "the simplest that gets your work done" - which I'd wager in your case will be python.
It's a great thing that you've read up the Windows python and QT links. They're a good place to start.
Note that the key here is QT - that's the framework that Nokia is hoping to push on all their smartphone and "semi-smart"-phones.
Be a guru in QT and you'll have a lot to do in life. ;)

Berserk
2010-07-28, 14:44
Thanks for your reply!

Python seems comprehensible to me indeed :) I have knowledge of Basic, Pascal, C and ActionScript 2.0, I should be fine with this.

I'll start soon enough,thanks!

imperiallight
2010-07-31, 14:14
I have read that QT apps will be cross platform and even be able to pass the iphone store approval process at some point. Would this be the same for apps made with PyQT? Or would it need to be pure QT?

Are PyQT apps open source or closed?

Sorry for the NooB questions

uvatbc
2010-07-31, 14:51
I have read that QT apps will be cross platform and even be able to pass the iphone store approval process at some point. Would this be the same for apps made with PyQT? Or would it need to be pure QT?

Are PyQT apps open source or closed?

Sorry for the NooB questions

There is an effort to port QT to iphone. But as far as I know, there are legal clauses put in by Mr. Jobs which state that any app created with a third-party toolset or library will not be permitted on the app store.

So the only way to use QT iphone apps would be on jailbroken phones in a non-Apple app store.

QT apps aren't automatically portable unless: 1. it's a PyQT app and 2. you're looking only at those platforms that already have a Python interpreter.
For all other platforms, the QT libraries need to be ported and then your QT app written in C++ needs to be recompiled.
On Android, the current QT implementation has to play nicely within the dalvik vm and it is not a complete port yet.