PDA

View Full Version : TVersity 0.9.10 available with N800 Video streaming

MikeL
2007-04-19, 22:38
TVersity 0.9.10 Media Server for Windows PC's is now out, where video streaming to - Playstation 3, Wii* and Nokia N800 are now supported, in addition to Xbox 360, UPnP Media Players etc.

Very nice, save wasting any time encoding video files for transfer to your Nokia 800 as TVersity will transcode both local & Network AV files on the fly to a format the Nokia N800 supports as long as the correct codecs and decoders are installed on your PC www.TVersity.com

Now works very well with Media Streamer & Canola streaming Video transcoded to divx where quality is good. I am streaming the DL.TV wmv files via the following RSS feed added to Tversity feeds as a test. http://rssnewsapps.ziffdavis.com/audioblogs/DLTV.wmv.xml

What I really like about TVersity is it can be our World Wide Web media to Home Network Media Server for so many different Networked devices. There is a lot more to TVersity than at first glance and I really do suggest giving it a try out if you have a windows PC in your home.

nspeer
2007-04-20, 01:14
Is there any way to use TVersity and Canola to stream media "on the go" ie while I'm traveling or do you have to use Orb for that. BTW, I tried Orb last night and couldn't figure out how to make it work.

nspeer
2007-04-20, 01:17
While we are talking about Canola + TVersity to stream audio (to my 770), I have to report a weird problem I've encountered. Every song I have streamed to my 770 stops playing with 23 seconds left to go on the song regardless of how long the entire song is. 17 minute jam - stops with 23 seconds to go. 2 minute Beatles song - stops with 23 seconds left to play. This only happens when streaming with TVersity. Canola plays songs on the MMC card just fine.

any idea what's up ?

Neil

ehmo
2007-04-20, 10:14
How can install it? I've find just .exe.

MikeL
2007-04-20, 15:53
How can install it? I've find just .exe.

You install TVersity on a Windows PC and then you access this server using either Media Streamer or Canola which can see AV items shared to them from the TVersity Media Server.

TVersity is able to be provide, Internet AV URL's, RSS Feeds and/or localised Playlists that you enter into it's library as directories/items that can be searched and subsequently played back via appliactions running on the N800

TVersity ensures that when and where the Wi-Fi Network throughput is not powerful enough or the orginating AV file is not supported by the underlying standard media player on the N800, that the format is automatically transcoded to a format that the N800 supports.

You must read the various set-up threads at the TVersity web page to ensure your PC is set up correctly to get the most from TVersity.

I have to report a weird problem I've encountered. Every song I have streamed to my 770 stops playing with 23 seconds left to go This may be a bug of TVersity with the Nokia 770 & N800 suggest you check in TVersity forum and record your issue there. I will also try to check my own mp3's on my N800 using Tversity 0.9.10 and Twonky this evening to see if I experience a similar problem. I assume we are talking about mp3's or perhaps wma's?

Is there any way to use TVersity and Canola to stream media "on the go" ie while I'm traveling or do you have to use Orb for that. BTW, I tried Orb last night and couldn't figure out how to make it work.It is possible but means a port has to be opened through your PC & Router firewalls to access TVersity on port 41952 for example. I was trying to use Hamachi as this creates a Secure VPN which means no ports need to be left open between the PC and my Nokia 770 and it should work, but had problems with it :o There is a command line version of Hamachi that runs on the Internet Tablets and I have used it sucessfully to VNC into my XP PC from outside my network securely.

MikeL
2007-04-22, 09:13
The following is a short extract from the current TVersity release notes for the Nokia N800 :-
TVersity can now transcode to Divx - this is used in conjunction with the Nokia N800, which is now fully supported, both via the Nokia Media Streamer application (UPnP based) and via the web browser. It is recommended to use the Media Streamer and not the UPnP browser that is built into the media player due to certain incompatibilities that need to be resolved together with Nokia.

Full release notes where for latest release 0.9.10 are currently a work in progress http://tversity.com/support/releasenotes/

I have tried to use the latest flash player GUI on the Nokia N800 and as I suspected it does not appear to work causing memory availability issues. Reading the release notes implies that Flash Player testing for the Wii was only done on a desktop PC using Opera with Flash 7 to simulate a Wii environment. (Wii & PS3 seem to be main Target for this TVersity capability)

Canola or Media Streamer are therefore the current recommended streaming playback applications on the Nokia N800. Note TVersity is apparently transcoding to DivX for the Nokia N800 as this allows streaming whilst files is being transcoded by Tversity from original AV format where/when applicable

nspeer
2007-04-22, 15:49
Local network works like a charm thru Canola and my 770. Seems to stream video better than previous version but that may be my imagination. Just wish I could figure out how to access it from the road. Can anyone verify that's doable?

Frankowitz
2007-04-23, 11:06
It's doable, but it comes at a cost: you'll have to open some ports on your firewall.

MikeL
2007-04-23, 11:34
It's doable, but it comes at a cost: you'll have to open some ports on your firewall.Or use a Secure Virtual Private Network (SVPN) software such as Hamachi, so that you do not need to open ports through firewalls and you also are able to maintain a common WWW Hamachi IP address to access your PC & TVersity, rather than an ever changing ISP Providers "provided" external IP for each user of the ISP.

Hamachi needs to be installed on PC & Nokia 770 or N800

There is a command line version of Hamachi available for the Nokia Internet Tablets which is installed at command line and needs root access to install etc.

Please note whilst this method should be fully doable, I have not managed to get it working reliably yet, I had problems getting Hamachi and Tversity talking together when using UPnP players such as Media Streamer

TVersity Library HTML Web browser worked, along with VNC to control PC from the Nokia ;-)

chilko
2007-04-23, 14:27
for some reason streaming videos don't work with me, although audio streaming is fine

Frankowitz
2007-04-25, 18:08
When I try to fill my database TVersity (0.9.10) always crashes in the process. I tried on another machine, same result. I think my collection of mp3's is too big for it too handle.
It's a pity, but an uninstall is the result. :(

fondoo
2007-05-05, 02:35
i've added diggnations video podcast rss video feed to tversity. it plays m4p and its not compatible with n800. is there anyways to stream video podcast as avi??

MikeL
2007-05-05, 08:08
i've added diggnations video podcast rss video feed to tversity. it plays m4p and its not compatible with n800. is there anyways to stream video podcast as avi??If you have latest TVersity installed on your PC with the correct filters and codecs for transcoding it should transcode the diggnation podcast to divx for playback on the N800. If it does not, which sounds to be the case, I would ask some specific questions in the TVersity forum as Ronen and others are very helpful.

It would be really great if more Nokia Internet Tablet users provided feedback to show interest in TVersities developments http://forums.tversity.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Bit busy at the moment but will try diggnation video podcast, what's the URL you are using etc.

Edit, did you try the wmv feed? http://revision3.com/diggnation/feed/wmv-large

fondoo
2007-05-05, 10:38
i tried using http://revision3.com/diggnation/feed/quicktime-small but it was streaming m4p on my n800. i then choose xvid (http://revision3.com/diggnation/feed/xvid-small ) which streamed into my n800 as avi. worked prefectly. i wished i could control <seek> on the stream. shouldnt tversity stream everything as avi? i know when i added my own videos wmv format, it was streaming it to my n800 as avi.
i also couldnt add cnn special and nova vodcast. is there a list of vodcast we can choose that will work on the n800 tversity?

MikeL
2007-05-07, 13:26
Just a short note to confirm that the diggnation wmv-large feed works well when transcoded to DivX for the N800. Appreciate I could have used the DivX feed, but then this would not test transcoding, unless the overall bitrate of original is to high for wi-fi/unit streaming; where TVersity would/Should Transcode to a lower bitrate etc that can be played back automatically. Quality of playback was good.

Whilst TVersity is Transcoding the file you cannot seek, once its been fully transcoded (After full first playback) you should be able to seek but I believe Canola does not support seek for UPnP streamed Video and think Media Streamer is similar.