PDA

View Full Version : please help me out configure my phone!

vees
2007-04-20, 16:17
Hi,

Ok. This is almost off-topic, but not quite: I badly need help with setting up my phone to use with my N800. Here is the problem:

I just upgraded my T-Mobile account with $5.99 to allow Internet access. It seems to work fine. However, when I try to connect my 800 to it I have a problem. Here is what I did:

After switching Bluetooth on on my Nokia 6133 phonem, I went to control panel->phone were I set up a connection to my phone, then I went to connectivity and clicked on the connection to my phone, I then got a message on the N800 saying "subscribe to packet data first" and a simultaneous message on my Nokia 6133 saying that the connection had been disconnected.

I would note here that the bluetooth connection between the two units functions very well and I see all the files on my phone from the N800's file manager.

Then - I suspect that this is related - I have a similar problem in another circumstance: accessing my gmail account.

I went to gmail.com/app and downloaded an application called gmail mobile. The application was downloaded and installed without any problems. I could also start it with no problems. First, I am given a menu in which to enter my name and password and then I have to click on 'sign in'. This is when the problem occurs. I get a message saying 'application access set to not allowed' and, next, 'gmail can't access the server until you grant it permission to send and receive data on the network".

I called T-Mobile but, predictably, all they could achieve is ask me plenty of questions about the last for digits of my social, my address, password, etc. but could offer zero help. I spoke to what appears to be a level three technicians who had exactly nothing at all to offer. :mad:

My impression is that the problem is not between the phone and the T-Mobile network as no data exchange appears to be taking place between the moment I attempt to sign in and the first error message. Also - when I attempt to establish a dialup connection between my N800 and my phone (my first problem) the two units "talk" to each other, but nothing seems to be happening between the phone and the network.

So what is the setting on the phone I should change? :confused:

Under "settings" there is a menu connectivity->packet data which offers two options: 'when needed' and 'always online'. I tried both to no avail.

So how do I enable packet data and allow application access over the network?

Many thanks,

VS

revwillie
2007-04-20, 19:35
Did you do the Configurator (http://tmobileus.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst) yet?

Also, the proxy server settings and some Tmobile history are on http://www.gruups.com/tzones/

When I signed up for my service, it was called "Talk and Text" from VoiceStream. I was supposed to be limited to 2MB a month of data which was way better than paying per minute on SprintPCS. Now, Tmobile doesn't meter data service by the KB or MB. :p Sure, Tmo's coverage is a joke at times. But, when I can get a signal, I can really get a lot out of that signal.

There's a wealth of info at howardforums.com if you don't already know it.

denise118
2007-04-20, 20:19
I subscribe to the $19.99 data plan so I dont know if the following will work. These are the configurations settings on my Nokia 6131:

Configuration>Personal config. settings>tmobile>access point>access point settings>bearer settings

Packet data acess point
internet2.voicestream.com

Network type
IPv4

Authentication type
Secure

I might have more settings somewhere. It's been a little while since I've set this up. PM me if u have any other questions.

vees
2007-04-20, 21:06
revwillie: I got to the configurator (thanks, I did not know about that) and set up the phone as a modem (I have yet to try this out, I can only do that later tonight). Under "configurations" I know have both t-zones and T-MobileInternet (although in this one I have only 't-zones' as Items supported).

denise118: I tried these settings on my phone, but I did not find the correct place to enter them. For example, while I can add a packet data access point, I cannot specify the network type :(

Also - here is an answer which I got on another discussion group:

T-Mobile has been attempting to clamp down on what you can access with the $5.99/month plan. Apparently, according to some posts on HowardForums.com, they've disabled the ability of some newer phones (like the 6133) from connecting to the net with Java apps like GMail or Google Maps. Tethering other devices to the phone might be disabled as well.

Man, if this is true I am really screwed, but if they disabled Java apps, why does my gmail app still load? Looks like the T-Mobile 6133 does have a working JVM inside. The 6133 is, by the way, NOT listed on the T-Mobile website among the phones which cannot be used to to access the net, so it should work I suppose/hope.

Lastly, the Nokia 6133 does feature Bluetooth v2.0 (DUN OPP FTP SAP).

Any other ideas & suggestions?

Many thanks.

VS

revwillie
2007-04-21, 02:02
I subscribe to the $19.99 data plan so I dont know if the following will work. These are the configurations settings on my Nokia 6131:

Configuration>Personal config. settings>tmobile>access point>access point settings>bearer settings

Packet data acess point
internet2.voicestream.com

yes, if you pay for the $20plan, your access point is internet2. I think there is an internet1 APN, too. However, if you are on the lowest level plan (cost depends on what you may have grandfathered-in), you have to use the wap APN as described in the gruups link.

vnewcrib
2007-04-21, 04:31
I have the cheap tmobile data plan and it works great for me. my access point is wap.
voicestream.com and the number is *99#. no username or password are entered

nspeer
2007-04-21, 05:20
I have the T-Mobile $5.99 plan and it works fine. Try this, it should work.

you will need to set up some advanced settings

Access point name: wap.voicestream.com
Dial-up number: *99#
User name: leave blank
Password: leave blank

Click the [advanced] and check "Use Proxy"
HTTP Proxy: 216.155.165.50
Port: 8080
HTTPS Proxy: 216.155.165.50
Port: 8080

Click [OK] and [Finish]

Neil

vees
2007-04-24, 00:34
guys - I still don't get it (sorry). Can you please break it down step by step for the ******-*****-dummy I am?!

First, what do I do with my N800? Do I click on "phones" in the control panel? Or "connections" or how do I get it to "dial-up" my phone?

Then, what do I do on my phone? Do I actually *dial* the number 99 myself? Or do I dial the number of my ISP?

How do the units talk to each other, what does Bluetooth do in this, what unit dials what number?!?!

I am sorry to be the bonehead cretin that I am, but I don't understand how DUN works at all and I rather fess up to my crass ignorance then pretend that I even have a small clue about anything.

So step-by-step, device-by-device, what do I do to dial-up with my units?

If that is too stupid a question, please don't flame me by telling me how dumb I am - I already plead guilty.

Thanks,

VS

bezoris
2007-05-19, 21:15
I have a basically identical situation and have been following along with limited success...

nspeer - thanks for sharing your settings; one question though:

I've noticed that if I select GSM data as the Data Bearer under Bearer Settings then I can enter the *99# dial-up, but don't have the option of entering a Packet Data Access Point (obviously).

If I keep the Data Bearer as Packet Data (which I assume is correct) than the reverse situation: I don't get the dial-up option under Bearer Settings (again, obvious, but seems to contradict your specified settings, no?). Seems it has to be one or the other, not both...

As it stands I'm using Packet Data - all other settings as specified - and receive a "No Gateway Reply" response.

I'm using a Nokia 6133 flashed to a 6131-Nokia 6.10 / North America, t-mobile $5.99 plan.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

ps. Vees: these settings can be located/modified at

Menu -> Settings -> Configuration
Scroll down to 'Personal Config. Settings' -> Options -> Select 'Add New'

When trying to edit your 'Access Point Settings' (which will initially be grayed out) make sure that the 'Use Preferred Access pt.' is set to 'No' (select, choose 'no').... you can't edit the settings for an access point when it's currently in use.

Best, bez

bezoris
2007-05-19, 21:56
Okay. Figured it out (at least on my 6133/31).

1) I set things up as previously laid out (Menu -> Configuration -> Personal config settings). Packet data, etc, all as before.

2) Then went back to Personal Config Settings and 'Add New / Access Point' (instead of add new 'Web' as I had done the first time.

Access point settings -> Data Bearer (packet data) -> Bearer Settings (packet data access point = wap.voicestream.com / network type = Ipv4 / Auth = normal).

One strange thing noted is that while Opera and Email now work, the built in Nokia browser gives with a 'Service Not Available' error... Weird.