PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a simple Verizon phone for DUN through VCAST

Jay
2007-04-22, 01:18
I will need to stay with Verizon for another while but I am now entitled for a new phone. I want to be able to access the internet though DUN on my n800. It seems my best shot is to get a $15 VCAST plan then enable tethering. I definitely don't want a smartphone.
Can anyone recommend a phone that makes the process as painless as possible?
I figured I will need a phone that supports both VCAST and bluetooth DUN. So how about a Samsung SCH-a930? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2992
It says '(Phone does not support Bluetooth OBEX Profiles)
', does this kill the possibility to use it as a modem?
Thanks!

Jay
2007-04-22, 01:24
It will be just as good if I can do it over Voice. All I want is to browse some webpages. No reason for me to get a full-blown $60 data package.

iklier
2007-04-22, 03:09
I have the VX9900 (aka LG enV) from Verizon and apart from being a pretty cool phone the N800 works great with it and allows me to browse anywhere. It's so easy I did it by accident. I haven't tried using the $15 vcast service as a net connect but it will open an EVDO data connection.

Jay
2007-04-22, 03:27
Thank you for the tip iklier! Just to be sure, you are not on the $59.95 unlimited data plan, are you?

Dietrich
2007-04-22, 05:26
Where Verizon is concerned, the phone you pick needs to support bluetooth profile DUN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Dial-up_Networking_Profile_.28DUN.29

Going to HowardForums should get you the 'hack' for enabling DUN.
If you don't find a 'hack' for enabling DUN on the model phone you want, then don't waste your money. Find a model that has DUN.

Getting VCAST doesn't get you the EV-DO bandwidth--that is just your entitlement to VCAST media downloads and the attendant additional charges which will show on your monthly phone bill.

What gets you the EV-DO bandwidth is simply being in an EV-DO area (designated by a red 'EV' on the phone's display, otherwise your DUN bluetooth connection will default to 1x (144Kbps max).

You must use bluetooth to achieve EV-DO up/down stream speeds.
USB cable connection will drop you back to 1x speed.

I use a Motorola E815 with my N800 and laptop. No special plan--it just deducts from the plan usage minutes (eves/weekends being FREE).

BTW, I was up in the Adirondacks this weekend and listening to Rhapsody whilst surfing the net with my N800 over a 1x connection to my phone--the music download takes just a little longer but the multi-core technology (DSP,GPU,ARM) really are great at keeping this N800 stable--it didn't miss a beat! :D

Thanks

Jay
2007-04-22, 19:13
Thank you Dietrich, I am checking it out.

bakerbaker
2007-04-23, 13:19
being online deducts from your minutes? so it doesnt go against the amount of downloads?

Where Verizon is concerned, the phone you pick needs to support bluetooth profile DUN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Dial-up_Networking_Profile_.28DUN.29

Going to HowardForums should get you the 'hack' for enabling DUN.
If you don't find a 'hack' for enabling DUN on the model phone you want, then don't waste your money. Find a model that has DUN.

Getting VCAST doesn't get you the EV-DO bandwidth--that is just your entitlement to VCAST media downloads and the attendant additional charges which will show on your monthly phone bill.

What gets you the EV-DO bandwidth is simply being in an EV-DO area (designated by a red 'EV' on the phone's display, otherwise your DUN bluetooth connection will default to 1x (144Kbps max).

You must use bluetooth to achieve EV-DO up/down stream speeds.
USB cable connection will drop you back to 1x speed.

I use a Motorola E815 with my N800 and laptop. No special plan--it just deducts from the plan usage minutes (eves/weekends being FREE).

BTW, I was up in the Adirondacks this weekend and listening to Rhapsody whilst surfing the net with my N800 over a 1x connection to my phone--the music download takes just a little longer but the multi-core technology (DSP,GPU,ARM) really are great at keeping this N800 stable--it didn't miss a beat! :D

Thanks

Dietrich
2007-04-23, 13:30
deducts against plan
use during peak deducts minutes
use eves and weekends is free
no other phone charges apply.