PDA

View Full Version : TUTORIAL - n900 applications - HOW and WHERE FROM

yamalajatt
2010-08-01, 18:39
MY FIRST THREAD.

I bought n900 but found out there were few applications which I use regularly, but were not there on n900, maemo OS.

While I could get a lot by adding repositories and then downloading software, I desperately wanted a quality dictionary for my n900. I have htc P3300 also and I use Webster unabridged 2002 and oxford dictionaries {available on www.penreader.com}. On n900 all I could get was MDictionary and QDictionary. Either with obsolete database or open source–not–so–well–edited dictionaries. {sorry, my views may be different than urs.}

So the workaround is to get dictionaries [or any software or game] for PalmOS to work in n900, Maemo OS. Follow these steps :-

1. Download and install Garnet VM [or GVM]. This is PalmOS emulator which runs on n900. LINK http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/ [FREEWARE]

2. Download the software for palm os which u want. I needed quality dictionaries. I got them from pen reader.

3. Now u have GVM installed and *.prc files copied on n900.

4. Start GVM. Configure – 64 mb – save. And yes, if next time u change this configuration, ur emulator is formatted. I mean the softwares u installed go. Basic softwares of emulator remain. This means 30 day trial software can be installed again. “what a bingo !!”

5. Then install software in GVM window. Box appears – install dictionary or palmOS games.

6. After installing, click on icon of software u installed and then click “launch” button in GVM.

7. This is full screen PalmOS running on ur n900. If u want to close this software or return to something else – say – messaging, press power button of n900 – click phone box. U see dial pad now. Click multitasking icon on left upper side of n900. U enter multitasking.

8. Finished.

I request moderators to make this a sticky tutorial. More experiences of hoe to get PalmOS software on n900 or from some other place can be shared here.

And yes, u will find better PalmOS software on demonoid.com rather than thepiratebay.com {including dictionaries}.

Megaltariak
2010-08-01, 18:47
-I don't think that this thread need to be sticked
-For multitasking you can use ctrl + backspace or install camkeyd and use camera button
-You should remove the 2 lastest URLs ;)

craftyguy
2010-08-01, 18:50
Step 8 is awesome.

chicaman
2010-08-01, 19:11
Msdict is my favourite dict in symbian and palm, but now I am using QStarDict though

But I played Warfare Inc using this method and I am very happy it works flawlessly :)

EDIT: Besides, there are collins, oxford, cambridge, merriam webster etc etc database for QStarDict and they can be viewed all together under the same word, unlike Msdict where i have to change dictionary database to view different definition from different database.