PDA

View Full Version : psx4m!

n0ak
2010-08-02, 15:25
Hello Guys !! ;)
Do u u know whats the point to load bios when u play ps1 games ! ??? and how to load bios ! ? I think u have to load bios when there is .bin file e.g u got a game tekken3.bin so that means u have to load bios !! if its tekken3.iso u just type in xterm.. psx4m -runcd tekken3.iso !! am i wrong ?
Help please ;) :o
I will be thanful for ur replies :)

Marcus
2010-08-02, 15:28
A little google led me to this: (Regarding question 1)
First of all a Playstation Bios image is a piece of code/software. It controls many of the basic functions of the system. It is also the Bios you are dealing with when you start the Playstation without a PlayStation disk or if you listen to a music CD. Most freeware PlayStation emulators require a Playstation Bios Image to work. Commercial Emulators including the deceased ones use their own code embedded into the emulator it's self, this can be a drawback of these emulators as the code does not work as well as the original Bios code and can cause Incompatibility with some of the games. However I will come onto commercial Emulators later. It is important to note that the Bios were written by Sony and is subject to Copyright!

crail
2010-08-02, 15:30
no need to make a new thread for this

patstew
2010-08-02, 15:40
You can think of the playstation BIOS as a very simple operating system for the playstation. Emulators simulate the hardware of the playstation, and the BIOS interacts with this 'hardware' and with the game. Emulators may include BIOS simulation, but the official BIOS is likely to increase compatibility. It is also illegal for you to own one :) . (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that even if you live in a country where extracting the BIOS from a playstation you own is legal, you lack the necessary skills to do that, and in fact got yours from an illegal site)

It has absolutely nothing to do with .iso or .bin disk images, which are practically the same thing and are easily convertible.