PDA

View Full Version : N800- Wireless gremlins about

stellie
2007-04-23, 00:32
This is a summary of all events that have transpired last 48 hours with my new Nokia N800 and my home network.

The bottom line is this: I can successfully associate my N800 with my home 802.11G network - however, my N800 refuses to resolve anything by name (i.e. www.cnn.com,). This is problematic, since, it is an internet tablet that appears to be afraid of the internet.:cool:

I've checked and re-checked everything between Wireless APs and internet.

Points to ponder: A) internal addresses (192.168.x.x) no problem to bring up in browser (with dotted decimal). B) even when I can log onto my gateway router with the N800, it returns "network error" when I try to do anything "outside" my network by name.

I really do not want to retype my whole saga. If you wish to know what Troubleshooting steps I've done, please refer to the other posts I've made seeking help:

http://blog.tokash.org/2007/01/06/hands-on-with-the-nokia-n800-internet-tablet-next-in-the-nokia

No- I'm not Josh and this is not an advertisement.

Without resolution to this er, DNS resolving problem, My N800 is going back to the store - and I'll just have to suffer with still using my Pocket PC (that works like a champ in same wireless network).

Up front: 1) Yes reflashed - 3 times
2) Yes, when using DHCP accurate gateway and DNS information is passed to the N800

Steve S.

SeRi@lDiE
2007-04-23, 00:37
Have you try static to see if your resolution problems passes to the N800?
It is clearly a DNS issue....

Dietrich
2007-04-23, 00:57
what is your primary dns? (Tools>Connection Manager>Intermet Connection>IP Address)

stellie
2007-04-23, 00:57
Yes- I have done several steps to include static configuration on the N800 for both IP, router, and DNS entries. I've used the very same settings that I use for my other computing devices.

After I posted this in newbie-land, I also posted a detailed description of my troubleshooting efforts in the troubleshooting forum. I can't think of anything else to do, and have resigned myself to blaming it on my ISP.

Really sucks too, cause I see a lot of fun and potential in the N800 and open source dev community behind it. But I can't really keep an internet tablet, that at a minimum, is able to surf the internet -- right?

Thanks for the suggestion

Steve

stellie
2007-04-23, 01:00
primary DNS is in the RoadRunner register ip range: 65.32.2.149

stellie
2007-04-23, 01:03
I appreciate feedback - feeling a little frustrated this evening, so don't read to much into it when I ask potential responders to please read the gory details under my post in troubleshooting to see what I've done thus far.

thanks - steve.

Dietrich
2007-04-23, 01:13
You have a network setup issue--nothing wrong with the N800

stellie
2007-04-23, 01:25
I would love to know what network setup issue this may be since:

Ipaq, running netgear 802.11b cards can access the network, and surf the web no problem.

Wireless laptops - configured statically with identical information have no resolution problems when associated with either wireless access points.

Granted, I could believe that this was a network setup issue - IF the evidence wasn't so heavy again "the new guy" in my family of devices. I cannot agree with that statement - the Pocket PC 2002 OS; the Suse 10.1 laptop or Windows XP pro laptop ALL work fine in the exact same environment (and have for the past 2 years). They continue to work fine as I type this.

Certainly mystifying - however, from a NETWORK level - if DNS does not work for ONE device - it should not work for ANY devices. And that is not what I am facing right now.

stellie
2007-04-23, 01:30
I also have 3 slim-player devices and 1 game bridge all successfully accessing the internet through this network architecture.

Without specifics of to your suggestion, I just cannot agree that this is network based issue. (other than with road-runner ISP?). Not with so many other devices working without issues or problems.

euchreprof
2007-05-01, 09:19
I also have 3 slim-player devices and 1 game bridge all successfully accessing the internet through this network architecture.

Without specifics of to your suggestion, I just cannot agree that this is network based issue. (other than with road-runner ISP?). Not with so many other devices working without issues or problems.

I hate when chit like this happens to me!! (And it does... just not on my Nokia 800... yet)

Rab
2007-05-01, 09:24
I had a similar issue - see post N800 & Netgear Router . Resolved by changing N800.

Milhouse
2007-05-01, 09:49
You mentioned in your troubleshooting (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45491#post45491) post that you have two wireless networks, one on channel 1 the other on channel 11 - have you considered temporarily simplifying your network in order to try and narrow down the problem? Perhaps switch off one of the APs, and work "upwords" as it were. Your iPaq is connecting over 11b while the N800 will connect over 11g, in which case I wouldn't consider the iPaq a suitable "control" - do you have any other devices connecting over 11g? Your Squeezeboxen perhaps?

Is the firmware up to date on your D-Link APs? I myself have no problems connectig the N800 to a Linksys WRT54GS (running Sveasoft after market firmware). The DWL-2100AP is a 108Mbps device and may not be fully compatible with some 11g devices - check if you can disable the enhanced performance and see if it makes any difference.

Ultimately though it does sound like a routing issue. Can you pull up the admin web page for the associated AP on the N800? If you can, any problems beyond this point would appear to be in the AP/router rather than the N800.

If all else fails, do as Rab suggests and seek a replacement. If that doesn't resolve the issue, the problem lies with one or both of your D-Link devices. :(

Milhouse
2007-05-01, 10:09
By the way, I assume the access points have a built in DNS server (DNS Masq?) If so, why aren't you using the AP for DNS and leaving the AP to resolve DNS against your ISPs server - this usually works a little quicker, and may (or may not) help you. I found this (http://www.xbitlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12633) post on the web which goes OT pretty quickly but does suggest there may be some odd DNS issues with some D-Link routers - try power cycling the D-Link devices to see if that helps.

kumachan
2007-05-05, 23:19
I had a similar problem; it appeared to connect to the router but would go no further, even with static IP configuration. Took it back to the shop and they could not get it to work with their own WLAN but during the time we were looking how to do a reset it started working. So I took it home and it still did not work!?!? Anyhow, I checked carefully my router settings and I had enabled MAC filtering - added the MAC address of the N800 to the list and it worked fine.