PDA

View Full Version : What is the current situation with mail client, especially push mail?

linh
2010-08-04, 06:09
I'm confused, really. And yes I've searched it, I'm here after reading tons of "reviews" out there plus quite a few threads in here, all to no end. Because nothing seems adequately answered my simple question, can Maemo-powered mobile computer good enough as a push mail device? I get it that Modest is broken and currently no alternative solution/work-around is sufficiently compensate for it, but how broken is really it? Like many people, I'm using several mail accounts with gmail serves as Mail for Exchange push central. Connectivity varies between wifi, 3G or EDGE but data always on. Someone clicked send, seconds after I'll get some forms of notification (sound, vibration or both). Two or three touches away and I'll be looking at my new mails residing in their appropriate boxes. Replies are handled seamlessly with also appropriate accounts. That's it. My past mail experience with Symbian, Android or dare I say it , Windows Moblie and Iphone, more or less managed to be just like that. I wonder which part of said above description will stay the same with Maemo 5, I mean N900. I hear some said it takes forever to open the mail app, lost connect with mail box...etc but can I fix it by leaving Modesty always running with acceptable memory/performance loss? And what's about Ovi mail service? Can I replicate my smooth experience by replacing gmail with ovi mail (of course I prefer not)?
And please no more sick joke about login and reading in X-term. As much as I love those nice, clean command line screens over GUIs , for a mobile mail client it's simply not feasible, ever. This is the only question before I take the plunge and ditch Iphone for good and buying N900 to be my only device. Thank you all.

P/S : I want to say this community is really incredible, to the point I'm not hesitate a bit about future support knowing Maemo is officially dead.

Pigro
2010-08-04, 10:09
if you live somewhere that you are able to use Nokia Messaging (it's not officially available for all countries/operators, although you can get around that by temporarily swapping out the SIM for one from a supported country/operator) then you can set up gmail within your NM account and it works very well (in my experience) for push email. I have the native email client always open on my device (no memory/performance issues) and I get push mail instantly (often before it hits gmail on my desktop PC). This config covers 99% of my needs - for the other 1% I just log into gmail on the phone browser.
I believe that there can be problems if your gmail inbox becomes excessively large, but that is down to you to manage.

James_Littler
2010-08-04, 10:14
I get it that Modest is broken and currently no alternative solution/work-around is sufficiently compensate for it, but how broken is really it?

Modest has been fixed, search for a topic called 'Modest fixes'.

festivalnut
2010-08-04, 10:18
yeah theres a faster modest available, not perfect but damn good, and coupled with nokia messaging's push email my n900's email capabilities kick ***!

e: oh and inbox in a couple of clicks? if you get email in press the alert that pops up for a few seconds and its one click to open the mail. couple more if you have multiple emails though.

arne.anka
2010-08-04, 10:26
it would really help if you could post short and concise. it took me some time to find your actual question inside that long babbling of green fields ...

And please no more sick joke about login and reading in X-term.

how? i searched for hints how to use something other than modest or claws, preferably pine or such, but did never see any real mentioning including sources for packages.

bob.ciccio
2010-08-04, 12:08
Quck question..
so setting up the email client provided in the phone is not actually push email? do i need to go thru nokia messanging? I did for my 5800 but not for my n900 using what is provided.
Thanks
Bob

Pigro
2010-08-04, 12:27
hi bob, correct (at least for gmail anyway) - if you just setup gmail by selecting it directly form the list on the inbuilt email client it will poll - i.e."pull" email at intervals which you define (say, every 5 minutes or whatever); NM supports "push" via IMAP such that mail sent to your google account is delivered to your phone as soon as it hits the google servers. I only use gmail, so I can't speak for other mail providers.

linh
2010-08-04, 19:13
it would really help if you could post short and concise. it took me some time to find your actual question inside that long babbling of green fields ...

how? i searched for hints how to use something other than modest or claws, preferably pine or such, but did never see any real mentioning including sources for packages.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44287&page=8

@arne.anka: Second post from top. Initially I thought that poster joked but he seemed to hold on to that idea quite seriously :-|
Alpine is a good client if you're sitting before a desktop all day long and that's about it. Of course I don't know your working pattern but this day and age I can't imagine anyone buy a 3.5" touch screen mobile device and using it for text based mail.

@Pigro: Happy to hear about a feasible solution! Yes I can use Nokia Messaging in my country and I manage to keep mail boxes not excessively large. But does it work correctly? For example right now all incoming mails to my@account.one and my@account.two are automatically forwarded to my@gmail.com then pushed to phone, when I reply a mail which initially headed to my@account.one then its "From" field only contain "my@account.one" and certainly not "my@gmail.com". If I go your way then what will be the position of my@ovi.com in that chain? Do I need to break this gmail-centered setup? Of course I'd prefer not because it've been working very well for me.Thanks.

Pigro
2010-08-04, 19:44
nokia messaging doesn't require an @ovi mail address. Just register to use NM and then choose NM as your provider when setting up email on the N900 client. Once NM is set up you just add the @gmail account (NM can be set up to collect and display mail form multiple email accounts, but in your case just your gmail acct is all you'll need).

I'm not clear whether you want replies from N900 to emails originally sent to your my@account.one to be sent from that account or from gmail - I think probably they'll come from gmail, suck it & see.

linh
2010-08-05, 07:41
nokia messaging doesn't require an @ovi mail address. Just register to use NM and then choose NM as your provider when setting up email on the N900 client. Once NM is set up you just add the @gmail account (NM can be set up to collect and display mail form multiple email accounts, but in your case just your gmail acct is all you'll need).

I'm not clear whether you want replies from N900 to emails originally sent to your my@account.one to be sent from that account or from gmail - I think probably they'll come from gmail, suck it & see.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer, I definitely want replies send from those "real" accounts, gmail is just an intermediary tool and it'd be invisible as much as possible. I think I'll try it before decide on buying, I find it hard to shell out half a thou just to suck it and see. Will report soon. Thanks for your help.

qwenjis
2010-08-05, 07:52
I have 5 e-mail accounts merged into gmail one and push is enabled.

Despite I'm pretty happy with it, push works not instant for me. I recieve e-mails minimum 15 min later.

Probably it's only me.

PS the most I like in push thingy on N900 compared to normal e-mail checking by schedule is that phone actually downloads mails.

SAABoy
2010-08-05, 07:59
Good luck Linh.

While we're on the subject, ive been having a completely shitty 'hotmail' experience on my n900. ive given up on emails on my phone completely, while really sucks... I remember trying to set up nokia messaging once upon a time, and something would always get hung up...

Are one of you knowledgeable email-types willing to help a noob?

Pigro
2010-08-05, 08:26
I'm not that knowledgable (I just "set it & forget it" when I set up NM seven months ago, and for me it worked out of the box). I'm also just packing before going on holiday so won't be around much longer today. Is there something specific you need help with? if just general assistance, afraid I ain't your man, there's a cold beer waiting in Italy with my name on it ...

SAABoy
2010-08-05, 09:12
I'm not that knowledgable (I just "set it & forget it" when I set up NM seven months ago, and for me it worked out of the box). I'm also just packing before going on holiday so won't be around much longer today. Is there something specific you need help with? if just general assistance, afraid I ain't your man, there's a cold beer waiting in Italy with my name on it ...

mmm, enjoy.

Well its specific to hotmail on n900. did you set up hotmail?

James_Littler
2010-08-05, 09:24
I have hotmail setup and it works perfectly, have you applied the fixed suggested in the thread 'Modest Fixes'?

Pigro
2010-08-05, 09:26
mmm, enjoy.

Well its specific to hotmail on n900. did you set up hotmail?

nope, just gmail I'm afraid - but sounds like James ^ may be able to assist ...

Pigro
2010-08-05, 09:31
I have 5 e-mail accounts merged into gmail one and push is enabled.

Despite I'm pretty happy with it, push works not instant for me. I recieve e-mails minimum 15 min later.

Probably it's only me.

PS the most I like in push thingy on N900 compared to normal e-mail checking by schedule is that phone actually downloads mails.

just to be clear, using the gmail provider from the list in the email client directly won't enable push, only way to get push gmail on N900 is via Nokia messaging. Other things to consider:

1) if you have gmail pulling the mails from your 5 other accounts, it will NOT do so instantly - google (I think) uses some algorithm to decide how often to check your other accounts, only way to change that is to do a manual check in account/settings. So, een if you have gmail push under NM set up correctly, you'll definitely see a lag in receiving emails that were sent to your 5 ohter accounts ...

2) if you have the auto-disconnect app on N900, that may well interfere with the instant delivery of push email?

Pigro
2010-08-05, 09:37
Sorry if I wasn't clearer, I definitely want replies send from those "real" accounts, gmail is just an intermediary tool and it'd be invisible as much as possible. I think I'll try it before decide on buying, I find it hard to shell out half a thou just to suck it and see. Will report soon. Thanks for your help.

did a quick test for you (sent a mail to an old email account that I have got gmail set up to check). Once received on N900, I hit reply, and as expected the sender for the reply is my google account rather than my old one - and there are no options I can see in the default mail client to override this :mad:. You could, of course add your old accounts to NM as well as your google one - and then send such replies from those accounts directly (depends on whether you have gmail set to leave mail on the other account after gmail has read it - if so. you'll have the original mail there in your old account on N900 to reply to).

qwenjis
2010-08-05, 09:43
No, I'm always connected=)

Gonna try NM,

quingu
2010-08-05, 12:55
Doesn't Nokia Messaging also use a certain interval (5-15min) to check the inbox it fetches its mail from? I am not sure but I think I read it somewhere. I decided it was not worth the hassle to set up NM if my N900 was able to check the target inbox in the very same interval... If NM was true instant push mail I'd reevaluate that.