PDA

View Full Version : yet another streaming problem - linux

fisico800
2007-04-25, 11:09
hi there

I tried them all...
combinations of Canola or MediaStreamer with GStreamer, Mediatomb, ushare, fuppes... NOTHING! My N800 doesn't see the server! I tried also Rhythmbox with DAAP plugin. :(

Now I think it's a wlan configuration matter. The server is behind a Belkin router, I enabled the DMZ to allow sort of streaming to the server, let 192.168.2.19 be the server IP. Now the server IS NOT controlled by the router firewall.
Then open Canola or MediaStreamer on N800 and search for devices on the net. Nothing happens...

Where server software permits, i configured port to be 49512, which seems to be a sort of standard for UPnP services.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help a Linux Fedora user...

Nokia N800 is Linux, Orb MyCasting it's ONLY for Win/Mac. Isn't it ironic...?

it's like raaaaaaaaaaaaiiiin

fisico800
2007-04-26, 20:39
just a few updates.

- router config
with Belkin54g, go to the control panel and activate the UPnP utility. it allows server and clients to auto-accomodate settings for UPnP services (or something similar!)

- ports
if you have problems with ports (for ex., gnump3d tells "port 49152 already in use?") you have to switch down the executable which is using that port, the one we previously configured in Canola Configuration Panel (search up the thread). useful commands are:
netstat -ltp - lists port, connections and processes running, with their PID
kill PID - kills process with pid PID...
traceroute WEB_ADDRESS - is fun! try to run with www.internettablettalk.com, it will tell you how long it takes to exchange information from you IP to this server and back!

Back to our issue: retried after having switched UPnP utility on in the router.

so? nothing. :(

MikeL
2007-04-26, 23:27
Have you tried the 30 day trial of Twonky on Linux? http://www.twonkyvision.de/Download/TwonkyMedia/index.html as it works with Linux apparently.

PS it's a pity TVersity (Currently free) is not available natively for the Linux platform.

Could you try with a Win XP PC? not everything has to be Linux OS based all of the time for connection to the Nokia N800 does it?

Some people have implied that TVersity will work quite well in a VM environment running on Linux until such time as native support is available?
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1111&highlight=linux
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1185&highlight=linux

fisico800
2007-04-27, 20:06
thank you for your answer

well, yes, I can format my harddisk, losing all my data, and re-install Win... :p
NO.

if I had Win I'd install Orb MyCasting from Tableteer site and I think all my problems will vanish. VM solutions too maybe can skirt the problem but they DONT solve it. Native solutions enhance performances and are stable. More, in my case it's just a configuration matter!
so, hand-on our preferred text editors and power to our brains!

:D

fisico800
2007-04-27, 22:54
IT WORKS

all you have to do is (I have FEDORA but it's the same for all distros):

1) open port 49152 in the firewall configuration. In Fedora, italian version:
→ System
→ Administration (maybe, traduced from italian)
→ Security and Firewall
→ Other ports
→ add 49152 - tcp
2) download libupnp (now 1.3.1) and linuxigd, the first downloadable also from repository (so execute "yum install libupnp")
3) compile linuxigd with "make" and follow the INSTALL instructions. few commands to cut&paste!
4) finally, execute the daemon from the installation directory of linuxigd:
./upnpd eth1 eth1

now you server must work. in particular mediatombworks great with both canola e mediastreamer, photos, videos and music.

rhythmbox: still doesn't work :(