PDA

View Full Version : October Launch

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 16:10
Hey All

Just looking for a quick update. Is Meego still on track for an October launch and will it definately be n900 compatible?

Thanks

HellFlyer
2010-08-09, 16:14
Hey there just a quick question who should we know? :) maybe you can tell us?
Nokia didn't announce any specific date for a MeeGo device , they said it will be released by the end of the year. There is no need to speculate or make guesses.

festivalnut
2010-08-09, 16:15
Hey All

Just looking for a quick update. Is Meego still on track for an October launch and will it definately be n900 compatible?

Thanks

no .

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 16:17
Hi Hellflyer

There's talk of an October launch date on the meego homepage, and reference to the n900 on the meego handset page.

sachin007
2010-08-09, 16:20
Yeah i know for sure that Meego 1.1 is going to be released in october. That means we can expect the N9 to be released on October 31st.

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 16:24
Yeah i know for sure that Meego 1.1 is going to be released in october. That means we can expect the N9 to be released on October 31st.

would be pretty gutting if they don't make the os available to n900 users. If they don't these handsets are as good as dead in the water.

AlMehdi
2010-08-09, 16:24
I think Nokia said it is expected in the end of the third quarter 2010. Though i think it will come in the end of forth. It will come but not as an OTA.

AlMehdi
2010-08-09, 16:26
would be pretty gutting if they don't make the os available to n900 users. If they don't these handsets are as good as dead in the water.

Then you should try to learn more about the device. I for once will probably not change to MeeGo.. Not to start with anyway. Maemo is a very powerful OS if you know how to use it.

mikecomputing
2010-08-09, 17:06

you are wrong.

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 17:10
Could I ask why Mike? I agree Maemo is a great os, but from what I've seen and heard about meego it looks like a natural update for maemo users.

joelsk
2010-08-09, 17:14
honestly, i for 1 prefer maemo over what i've seen of meego. Maemo isn't exactly the easiest or simplest os to us, but seriously having a whale of a time learning! y would you wanna replace it with meego?

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 17:19
I'd welcome the chance to have a look around meego, knowing if it's not all it's cracked up to be you can revert back to maemo.

Maemo is great, but not always the easiest os to get around.

I'm guessing a lot of user experience lessons will have been learned and meego will be slicker

attila77
2010-08-09, 17:24
no .

Actually, that is a yes. MeeGo 1.1 is AFAIK still on track for an October release, and will be N900 compatible through the MeeGo N900 HW adaptation effort. Now, if the OP was inquiring about Nokia's 2010 MeeGo *device* and *its* compatibility, that's a whole different story.

Lullen
2010-08-09, 17:26
I know nokias meego is not meego at all but a renamed maemo 6. Will this mean that this is not something we should buy as apps and such to meego will not be compatible with maemo 6 as it is deb/rpm?

HellFlyer
2010-08-09, 17:32
honestly, i for 1 prefer maemo over what i've seen of meego. Maemo isn't exactly the easiest or simplest os to us, but seriously having a whale of a time learning! y would you wanna replace it with meego?

For me Maemo is easier and much more intuitive then Symbian , iOS is a joke i dont wanna even start .....MeeGo however is not quite ready to judge but so far it looks easier to use because it has Maemo roots, they just added more eyecandy and simplicity of Moblin , unfortunately the era when functionality was more important then looks and fancy animations are over thanks to iPhone

As for the device like I said but considering its Nokia we're talking about MeeGo might be out in 2011 , they already changed N8 date from August to September

vode
2010-08-09, 17:49
Still on track for october release

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 17:51
2 months and counting, although looking at the ever growing bug jar on the meego site a degree of delay is plausable.

That said, at least there seems to be a huge amount of effort taking place in the background to lauch as finished an os as is conceivable.

not sure if this has been done yet (I'm guessing it has) but should a poll be set up to see how many maemo users will switch to meego when it's launched? My money would be on a huge switch for end users wanting a simpler os format with more of the bells and whistles you'd see on android these days

attila77
2010-08-09, 17:54
I know nokias meego is not meego at all but a renamed maemo 6. Will this mean that this is not something we should buy as apps and such to meego will not be compatible with maemo 6 as it is deb/rpm?

The claim is that it will be compatible. The SDK is not yet out so it’s too early to tell how exactly this will be done. deb/rpm differences are not necessarily disqualifying, even on desktops you have tools like "alien" that convert from one to the other.

HellFlyer
2010-08-09, 19:10
Still on track for october release

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1

MeeGo's release has very little to do with Nokia's handset.

cenwesi
2010-08-09, 19:22
I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year. This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right... Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done :)

extendedping
2010-08-09, 19:53
I will switch if it has easydebian and kindle reader.

vode
2010-08-09, 20:03
MeeGo's release has very little to do with Nokia's handset.

I was answering to the OP. Who specifically asked for the MeeGo release.

tzsm98
2010-08-09, 20:08
.... They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done :)

I suspect it will take more than a slight mis-step in the mobile devices market to "do" Intel. Nokia will always be able to sell $59.00 mobile phones because they do their phones so well.

arora.rohan
2010-08-09, 20:13
If Meego has Vsync and 60 FPS in UI .. im switching... :-/ if it doesnt..its Maemo forever... :) !

tissot
2010-08-09, 20:18
I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year. This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right... Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done :)

Yes Symbian controlled over 60% of smartphone market in 2008 so Android and iphone where late to announce their OS by ~7 years. Nokias Harmattan\MeeGo coming out 2 weeks late will kill it instantly...
Nokia got huge uphill battle here(that can't achieve same kind of domination as Symbian), but it's not going to be decided by 1-5 weeks release difference. :D

I don't even know why are really talking about Nokia here as Nokia will release Harmattan/MeeGo that's not even officially MeeGo product this year with a device. All we know that we will see that one device being announced and released this year.

attila77
2010-08-09, 20:19
I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year.

Note that MeeGo is on a fixed 6 month cadence, so it will never be a question whether it will be released or not. It's literally the same logic that Ubuntu follows, even the months of the releases are the same :)

This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right...

I don't know the problem, but smells of logistics (the N900s at the Summit which was earlt October had release level hardware and just one week older firmware than the one that got released in the end).

Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done :)

FWIW MeeGo as such is already out. Just as 1.1 will be. Just as Android 3.0 will be. People are not interested in the software release as a general concept, but usable firmwares that run their devices, and the two are different topics. Just as FroYo was released two and half months ago and still represents just a minuscule percentage of Android devices sold, so will 3.0 be interesting only if you look far into 2011.

fatalsaint
2010-08-09, 20:23
FWIW MeeGo as such is already out. Just as 1.1 will be. Just as Android 3.0 will be. People are not interested in the software release as a general concept, but usable firmwares that run their devices, and the two are different topics. Just as FroYo was released two and half months ago and still represents just a minuscule percentage of Android devices sold, so will 3.0 be interesting only if you look far into 2011.

So the question actually becomes:

Will the first devices of MeeGo (in 2011) be as feature-full/fluid/mature as similar devices with Android 3.0.

I'm not talking about number of apps... Android started with a handful when iPhone had millions and it still picked up. I'm talking OS. And of course, the only viable answer to that question is "Wait and See."

That, and personal preference.

n900faniam
2010-08-09, 20:47
I think Meego has a serious shot at taking on android and Iphone.

But only..........

If Nokia and Intel get behind the OS and show some real commitment and support.

Can't really speak for Intel, but Nokia seem to suffer from a short term attention span. They launch a product or os, get all hyped up about then change tack entirely and leave the end user wondering why they bothered.

If meego is to be all it can Nokia is going to have to run with it and STICK with it through thick and thin and not go off on a tangent with a "new, improved" os idea 12 months later.

wizbowes
2010-08-09, 22:07

Is this true? My phone will just stop working when Nokia release Meego? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!

Milhouse
2010-08-09, 23:20
MeeGo test images are now available for the N900 - see here (http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=6642#post6642) for details. Weekly code-drops are planned for the future that will include closed binaries - right now many applications are just place holders.

Testing MeeGo on N900 is quite simple - copy the uncompressed RAW filesystem image to a 2GB+ microSD card using dd on Linux, then copy (NOT flash) a temporary kernel to the N900 using Flasher in order to boot MeeGo from the microSD card.

Reboot the N900 to get back to Maemo5.

Install instructions here (http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC).

http://s.appspot.com/panoramio-photos/original/38597921.jpg

http://s.appspot.com/panoramio-photos/original/38597912.jpg

chicaman
2010-08-11, 09:28
MeeGo test images are now available for the N900 - see here (http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=6642#post6642) for details. Weekly code-drops are planned for the future that will include closed binaries - right now many applications are just place holders.

Testing MeeGo on N900 is quite simple - copy the uncompressed RAW filesystem image to a 2GB+ microSD card using dd on Linux, then copy (NOT flash) a temporary kernel to the N900 using Flasher in order to boot MeeGo from the microSD card.

Reboot the N900 to get back to Maemo5.

Install instructions here (http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC).

http://s.appspot.com/panoramio-photos/original/38597921.jpg

http://s.appspot.com/panoramio-photos/original/38597912.jpg

can post a video of it in youtube? would like to see how is it's UI and features

noobmonkey
2010-08-11, 11:25
Hey All

Thanks

I suggest the MeeGo forums is place to ask this question (As it has already been answered!) - pop over there and say hello. The answer will not be a simple yay or nay though :)

jjx
2010-08-11, 12:12
Is this true? My phone will just stop working when Nokia release Meego? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!

You joke, but it's what people expect now, especially for US$500. A smartphone doesn't work unless it works with the rest of the world, and the rest of the world is changing.

Expected modern smartphone functionality (iPhone, Android):

- Device is able to run evolving content and applications for a few years.

N900 functionality:

- Device stops being able to run evolving content and applications rather quickly, because it does not evolve with them.

I'm seeing this already happen with web-based videos, which are increasingly unable to play on the N900. There's a good chance the Meego port won't solve this, and neither will the alternate browsers available.

thnninen
2010-08-11, 12:22
I'm seeing this already happen with web-based videos, which are increasingly unable to play on the N900. There's a good chance the Meego port won't solve this, and neither will the alternate browsers available.

Yeah, unlike the iPhone, which has been running Flash videos smoothly all the time. Now I understand why it's so popular.

riahc3
2010-08-11, 13:34
Nokia VP said the other day via Twitter that there will be a flagship Nokia MeeGo device by the end of the year.

Milhouse
2010-08-11, 17:17
can post a video of it in youtube? would like to see how is it's UI and features

There's really very little to see right now - virtually all of the applications are just placeholders with no real content or function. The UX isn't the Nokia UX either, just a standard out of the box MeeGo UX. It's also quite slow at starting applications (even when they have no real function!), probably due to the lack of any ARMv7 optimisations (a version with ARMv7 optimisations has been targeted for release during Week 33, or about now/next week).

A quick search of YouTube revealed the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CEL3qryAQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtQsOb6mO0A

As I say, not much to see right now. Also many basic features are missing - you can't even power off the device you have to pull the battery to reboot it! :)

The important thing however is that Nokia are delivering on their promise to make MeeGo available for N900 and the current method of testing MeeGo on N900 is totally non-destructive, which is nice (maybe in future a dual boot menu will become available, who knows - the less often I plug cables into my N900 USB port the better!) :)

Milhouse
2010-08-11, 17:21
Nokia VP said the other day via Twitter that there will be a flagship Nokia MeeGo device by the end of the year.

That would be the Harmattan/Maemo6 version of MeeGo - I'd be very surprised to learn that "true" MeeGo for Handsets is anywhere near ready for a prime time release this year, based on the development code that is available.

longcat
2010-08-11, 19:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAtS5EUVAZ4

this was posted today by 'someone'

longcat
2010-08-11, 19:13
Looks uber slow but I guess it's okay for unstable release ...

mikecomputing
2010-08-11, 19:29
Could I ask why Mike? I agree Maemo is a great os, but from what I've seen and heard about meego it looks like a natural update for maemo users.

atm. what we have seen of Meego OS its not that great. Maemo still is better. Ofcourse MeeGo will improve alot but still Maemo will not die. The apps created for Meego will most tjhe time work on Maemo to cause of QT(Mobility) will be supported in both platforms.

Thing is I still dont get why people is so afraid of lacking support of Meego from Nokia. It is a bussines decision and there is alot of reasons for that. It would take Nokia a hell of time to debug and test MeeGo on N900 thats probadly why they decided to not "officially" support it, but as we already have seen Meego is already inofficially supported by Nokia so for those who really want the "Meego UI" they will have it.

And again Core Linux OS is still the same as in the Maemo case its only "another dist" as I see it...

But there is other issues that make me affraid and that as far as i know TI has for example not fully open sourced the GFX drivers. IS Meego preview even using HW accel GFX? Can this be a reason it will not be supported on N900. I mean Meego will only accept open drivers?

and for those who want shitty adobe flash Is that fully opened!?

We can only hope flash will die anyway that. Its time to progress faster on HTML5 instead (and ofcourse open video codecs)

longcat
2010-08-11, 19:35
We can only hope flash will die anyway that. Its time to progress faster on HTML5 instead (and ofcourse open video codecs)

I'm not happy about idea of flash dead. That all crap about flash being a bad platform is nothing but apple's propaganda. I mean if you could run flash 10 years ago on much weaker processors why would it be an such a cpu hog now when we have greater processors in our mobile phones ?

html5 has long way to go, as well as open codecs. I'm just hoping that other corporate politics won't hurt that much end users as apple did to their customers.

vitamina
2010-08-11, 20:09
looks like meego is in far far far away kingdom...i will erase meego from my october dream launch

johnel
2010-08-11, 20:34
looks like meego is in far far far away kingdom...i will erase meego from my october dream launch

I'll be amazed if the official meego device is launched "at he end of the year" (according to a Nokia Director) let alone a stable meego launch in october.

I'm sure meego will be released in october but we'll have to see what state it will be in.

It's a shame because the meego developers for the N900 must be under pressure to get it working (from Nokia).

Without their hard work meego for the n900 would have never happened.

riahc3
2010-08-11, 22:46
That would be the Harmattan/Maemo6 version of MeeGo - I'd be very surprised to learn that "true" MeeGo for Handsets is anywhere near ready for a prime time release this year, based on the development code that is available.

Im guessing what you mean is that Windows XP (NT kernel) would be Harmattan/Maemo6 and that Windows 7 (NT kernel) would be "true" MeeGo.

Everything has to start from a seed. If you dont accept it, that seed cant grow. So your idealogy is incorrect and we will se MeeGo as is as soon as it is launched.

Milhouse
2010-08-12, 00:33
Im guessing what you mean is that Windows XP (NT kernel) would be Harmattan/Maemo6 and that Windows 7 (NT kernel) would be "true" MeeGo.

Everything has to start from a seed. If you dont accept it, that seed cant grow. So your idealogy is incorrect and we will se MeeGo as is as soon as it is launched.

Not really sure what you mean by you comparisons and talk about seeds, but Harmattan/Maemo6 has been rebranded to a confusing extent and referred to as being the first release of "MeeGo" when it is based almostly entirely on Maemo. Since it should be fairly well developed by now (just an extension of Fremantle/Maemo5) it's the most likely candidate for a product release this year.

What I've referred to as "true" MeeGo on the other hand is the OS based almost entirely on Moblin with very little Maemo input, and which is nowhere near ready for release in 2010 let alone a product announcement.

slaapliedje
2010-08-12, 00:54
What a lot of people are forgetting is that MeeGo isn't exactly a brand new platform. It's all the work that has gone into Moblin+all the work that has gone into Maemo 1-5.

Think of it in the light of Debian and Fedora merging. Imagine all the awesome things that could come out of that?

Not that I am saying that would be a good thing. it would do Linux as a whole, a lot of good. Developers from both sides improving the 'platform'. This is in essence what happened with MeeGo. We have the Maemo Team and the Moblin team making a Linux Platform for mobile computing. It is something a lot of people have been waiting for.

I think it's awesome that we, as N900 owners, get to be the first to actually use it. Even if it isn't exactly usable now. the fact that we can eve dual-boot a cell phone is in itself, amazing.

slaapliedje

P.S. The N900 is truly the first cell phone that I know of that reminds me of 'future' tech that was mentioned in sci-fi of earlier decades, and people whine about it....

c:drive
2010-08-12, 01:13
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Meego :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maemo - My money ($) go:eek:
Meego - Me (Myself) go (crazy)
Maemo+Meego = Weego(crazy):cool:

exo
2010-08-19, 03:36

But is HTML5 actually going to be any better? At this point it doesn't even generally get close to flash performance, let alone perform on par. And while there is no standard for HTML5 video - h.264 doesn't count as it has an exorbitant license cost - flash should stay right where it is.

wmarone
2010-08-19, 07:27
I'm not happy about idea of flash dead. That all crap about flash being a bad platform is nothing but apple's propaganda. I mean if you could run flash 10 years ago on much weaker processors why would it be an such a cpu hog now when we have greater processors in our mobile phones ?

html5 has long way to go, as well as open codecs. I'm just hoping that other corporate politics won't hurt that much end users as apple did to their customers.

So long as the best runtime for Flash is closed, and its developer keeps treating ARM based handsets as something special that requires millions in license fees from the vendor before they can put it on their device, then I will keep hoping it dies.

Demands for non-trivial licensing fees are likely why the N900 does not have Flash 10.1, and why it rarely gets upgraded on existing handsets.

automagic68
2010-08-21, 00:10
Hopefully we will get to preorder the N9 in October!

tissot
2010-08-22, 08:43
What I've referred to as "true" MeeGo on the other hand is the OS based almost entirely on Moblin with very little Maemo input, and which is nowhere near ready for release in 2010 let alone a product announcement.
Well MeeGo touch framework used on MeeGo handheld UX is Harmattan framework that just changed it's name ~3 months ago.
It will also be first UI from MeeGo side to be build upon Nokia owned qt.

mikecomputing
2010-08-22, 10:48

This has nothing todo with Apples propaganda. Flash has been an big issue on the linux platform for long and flash is not opotimized on Linux desktop and is buggy, slow, eating CPU on desktop platform to.

Also Flash is not open thats a big reason it probadly will not work on Meego core platform. Nokia and others will probadly add it but as a closed component and then people will again start wining about nokia not open sourcing everything even if it is not theayr fault.

Yet a reason I hope flash dies asap.

HTML5 is atleast more open and alot of manufactors prefer going in that direction. Ofcourse Microsoft will be slow like hell inmcluding it in IE, but Geeko/Webkit engines already have alot of the HTML5 stuff.

gerbick
2010-08-22, 10:56
HTML5 is atleast more open and alot of manufactors prefer going in that direction. Ofcourse Microsoft will be slow like hell inmcluding it in IE, but Geeko/Webkit engines already have alot of the HTML5 stuff.

IE9 beta has HTML5 already in it with GPU acceleration right now. Gecko/Webkit implement parts of HTML5 differently - which is not surprising since it's speculated that HTML5 won't be a final standard until 2022 (http://www.webmonkey.com/2008/09/html_5_won_t_be_ready_until_2022dot_yes__2022dot/).

I can remember the days before HTML 4.0.1 became a standard.

Laughing Man
2010-08-22, 14:42
IE9 beta has HTML5 already in it with GPU acceleration right now. Gecko/Webkit implement parts of HTML5 differently - which is not surprising since it's speculated that HTML5 won't be a final standard until 2022 (http://www.webmonkey.com/2008/09/html_5_won_t_be_ready_until_2022dot_yes__2022dot/).

I can remember the days before HTML 4.0.1 became a standard.

It needs to become a standard quicker. =P. It has a whole lot of accessibility improvements in it that would make Section 508 compliance easier for web developers.

ScottishDuck
2010-08-28, 18:03
Meego has just entered Beta stage, which is a little later than originally planned.

Ykho
2010-08-28, 18:57
When nokia says an october launch don't expect it to be launched till the end of time

tissot
2010-08-28, 19:07
When nokia says an october launch don't expect it to be launched till the end of time

It is not Nokia talking about october launch and neither will we see Nokia device running MeeGo 1.1 in near future as N9 will not be using it.

Ykho
2010-08-28, 19:16
It is not Nokia talking about october launch and neither will we see Nokia device running MeeGo 1.1 in near future as N9 will not be using it.

but isn't nokia and intel working on meego together??
what's the N9 going to be running?

superhero
2010-08-28, 21:54
What a lot of people are forgetting is that MeeGo isn't exactly a brand new platform. It's all the work that has gone into Moblin+all the work that has gone into Maemo 1-5.

Think of it in the light of Debian and Fedora merging. Imagine all the awesome things that could come out of that?

Not that I am saying that would be a good thing. it would do Linux as a whole, a lot of good. Developers from both sides improving the 'platform'. This is in essence what happened with MeeGo. We have the Maemo Team and the Moblin team making a Linux Platform for mobile computing. It is something a lot of people have been waiting for.

I think it's awesome that we, as N900 owners, get to be the first to actually use it. Even if it isn't exactly usable now. the fact that we can eve dual-boot a cell phone is in itself, amazing.

slaapliedje

P.S. The N900 is truly the first cell phone that I know of that reminds me of 'future' tech that was mentioned in sci-fi of earlier decades, and people whine about it....

I couldn't have said it better myself-- i mean as a nokia n900 owner we get the goods 1st. I mean how many smartphones out there today can say "we might be able to have more then 1 OS on my smartphone"? I don't care if apple or android have a trillion apps nothing could compare to that. (besides apple has 6different book readers for 6different books).

superhero
2010-08-28, 22:21

well when nokia is in charge of a device it is almost impossible to forecast what they will do with it, they might say it runs meego now but later decide that symbian^4 is ready for release so then speceulate about its next hardware for meego then make it as thick as a 6year old dell laptop, or just copy the n8 design. ugh nokias devices really need to go on a diet

theflew
2010-08-28, 23:00

Basically Maemo 6 which was announced last year this time. Maemo 6 was already planned to be Qt based. The only change MeeGo really brings to the table that Maemo 6 doesn''t support is RPM packaging. I'm sure Maemo 6/Harmattan have other changes to be more MeeGo compatible but there shouldn't be huge differences between the two. I imagine when Nokia moves from Maemo 6/Harmattan to MeeGo X.X the end user might not even notice.

digittante
2010-08-28, 23:05
not sure if this has been done yet (I'm guessing it has) but should a poll be set up to see how many maemo users will switch to meego when it's launched? My money would be on a huge switch for end users wanting a simpler os format with more of the bells and whistles you'd see on android these days

I posted a poll back in June (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57363) that can be revived.

TheTree
2010-08-28, 23:58
I mean how many smartphones out there today can say "we might be able to have more then 1 OS on my smartphone"?

There's a few:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/htc-hd2-caught-running-android-2-1-and-ubuntu-with-touchscreen-e/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/yep-the-iphone-runs-android-2-2-too/

qgil
2010-08-29, 08:40
Not really sure what you mean by you comparisons and talk about seeds, but Harmattan/Maemo6 has been rebranded to a confusing extent and referred to as being the first release of "MeeGo" when it is based almostly entirely on Maemo. Since it should be fairly well developed by now (just an extension of Fremantle/Maemo5) it's the most likely candidate for a product release this year.

This comment is a bit surprising at this point. Have you tried the MeeGo Handset UX? Have you seen its architecture? Have you compared this user experience and the architecture with the counterparts at Moblin?

Milhouse
2010-08-30, 13:27
This comment is a bit surprising at this point. Have you tried the MeeGo Handset UX? Have you seen its architecture? Have you compared this user experience and the architecture with the counterparts at Moblin?

Sorry Quim, I'm not referring specifically to the Handset UX but to the underlying OS in general which to a large extent has (or certainly had) more in common with Moblin than Maemo.

I have tried the MeeGo Handset UX and to be honest I can't say there's much to be impressed about so far, or anything that says it has a Maemo heritage - as UXes go the Fremantle UX far exceeds that available in the currently available MeeGo Handset UX builds.

qgil
2010-08-31, 00:21
Looking at the architecture at http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture you can't find actually many components that are not present in Maemo or MeeGo-Harmattan (provisional name). In fact that stack is also far away from Moblin. Of course we can discuss better on these details once MeeGo-Harmattan is out.

Comparing the current MeeGo-Handset vanilla with Maemo 5 final productized by Nokia is unfair. If you remember the first Fremantle releases they were also judged as unimpressive by many or most people around here.

Heavy work is going on to bring MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan releases out.

superhero
2010-08-31, 01:04
I'm sorry but this ----OFF TOPIC---- question really got me thinking.

If we to say meego comes to the N900 device officially by nokia and supports everything... as they say ( or speculate) that the meego device is coming with capasitive touchscreen. and this officlial release of meego for the N900 by nokia has the all the drivers needed for this touch screen (resistive touchscreen) but also has it built in drivers for capacitve touchscreens, would we be able to change the current LCD Resistive, to a capasitive? would it work or there will just be a big misunderstanding by both hardware and software and then nothing would show?.

wmarone
2010-08-31, 04:17
I'm sorry but this ----OFF TOPIC---- question really got me thinking.

If we to say meego comes to the N900 device officially by nokia and supports everything... as they say ( or speculate) that the meego device is coming with capasitive touchscreen. and this officlial release of meego for the N900 by nokia has the all the drivers needed for this touch screen (resistive touchscreen) but also has it built in drivers for capacitve touchscreens, would we be able to change the current LCD Resistive, to a capasitive? would it work or there will just be a big misunderstanding by both hardware and software and then nothing would show?.
1. MeeGo is not officially coming to the N900
2. You cannot just swap in a capacitive panel, as it requires special hardware to work which the N900 does not have.

Milhouse
2010-08-31, 13:40
Comparing the current MeeGo-Handset vanilla with Maemo 5 final productized by Nokia is unfair. If you remember the first Fremantle releases they were also judged as unimpressive by many or most people around here.

Great, I did think about adding a rider to my above UX criticism along the lines of "MeeGo is of course alpha/beta etc." but I have no idea if the available UX is representative of what Nokia intend to ship, or not (hopefully not). Perhaps some clarification on that would help as the current MeeGo Handset UX is very plain and very dull, and clearly needs a lot more work for it to be competitive (even with Fremantle).

So are you saying the currently available MeeGo Handset UX is unrepresentative of what will finally ship? If so it's probably stating the obvious as MeeGo on handsets will get panned in it's current state, but would be good to hear officially (I have missed any official announcements to that effect). Is there an approximate ETA for when the updated UX will start to become available in the codedrop builds?

riahc3
2010-08-31, 17:12
That means we can expect the N9 to be released on October 31st.
You do know that the N9 is a Symbian device right?

Now it seems it is a MeeGo device again. Who knows.

wmarone
2010-08-31, 17:15
You do know that the N9 is a Symbian device right?

Oh? Source for that statement?

riahc3
2010-08-31, 17:59
Oh? Source for that statement?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/11091.html
http://www.gsmarena.com/qwertyenabled_nokia_n9_surfaces_runs_on_symbian%5E 3-news-1764.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/nokia-n9-with-symbian-4-looks-beautiful
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/25/nokia.n9.tips.up.running.symbian.rather.than.meego/

As you can see, many said it ran Symbian.

Pocketnow updated their story to show that it was running MeeGo so lets hope it stays like that.

Lullen
2010-08-31, 20:20
first and second link is not even showing the same phone. The third says "Nokia N9 With Symbian^4 Looks Beautiful (Update: N9 Runs MeeGo)" and the fourth and last is showing the same phone as the first two.

riahc3
2010-08-31, 20:45
first and second link is not even showing the same phone. The third says "Nokia N9 With Symbian^4 Looks Beautiful (Update: N9 Runs MeeGo)" and the fourth and last is showing the same phone as the first two.
Prototype models.

Nokia Morph when (if ever) released, wont look like that.

NvyUs
2010-08-31, 20:50
them links are mixture of E7 running Symbian^3 which ppl was wrongly calling N9 and other link is real N9 running MeeGo they are very different devices only similarity is slide out qwerty

rolan900d
2010-08-31, 20:54

Dutch?????
Nice name there!

automagic68
2010-08-31, 21:35
Will Nokia World have a status update on whether MeeGo1.1 is still on track to make the October launch? Infosync says the N9 is supposed to be launched in November. I don't know how accurate that is or what their source is. If N8 is released in September is two months between N8 and N9 launch reasonable marketing strategy that Nokia would employ?

mikecomputing
2010-08-31, 22:07
I really begin two think that we will not see any info on meego stuff at the nokia world.

however they will probadly release a n8 with slide out keyboard with yet another symbian 3 os :(

then we have to wait about a half year until maybe some meego tablets comes to life.

I hope i am wrong cause Nokia really need to release something good sooon else even the rest of the developers goes crappy android.

Lullen
2010-08-31, 22:28
Dutch?????
Nice name there!

Haha I got the knowledge of the word last time I was in holland and I gave my email to a girl. She started to laugh and asked me if I was ****ing with her. :D

But the reason I have this nickname is because of my name, Ludwig and I am from sweden ;)

Milhouse
2010-08-31, 23:01
I really begin two think that we will not see any info on meego stuff at the nokia world.

Probably right - Nokia World will be (should be?) all about Symbian, the N8 and Qt. MeeGo can wait - it's nowhere near ready for Nokia handsets.

however they will probadly release a n8 with slide out keyboard with yet another symbian 3 os :(

Yep, it's an odds on certainty that the Symbian^3 based N8 will be launched at NW. I doubt there'll be a keyboard version of the N8 just yet - maybe early next year.

then we have to wait about a half year until maybe some meego tablets comes to life.

Tablets, or Handsets? Nokia have already come out and said they have no plans to release a tablet.

Nokia do have plans to launch a new "MeeGo" based handset before the end of 2010, which will probably be announced shortly after Nokia World to avoid stealing the thunder of the N8.

However my guess is this "MeeGo" device (the "N9") almost certainly won't be running MeeGo, it will be running Maemo6 (Harmattan)... but still be branded as MeeGo. "True MeeGo" firmware probably won't be ready until H1 2011 (a wild guess based on what is currently available for testing, which is very, very raw and basic).

egoshin
2010-08-31, 23:47
http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/intel-nokia-aim-for-3d-in-smartphones

24 August 2010—Intel and Nokia will bring interactive 3-D environments to mobile phones through a collaboration with the University of Oulu in Finland, the companies said Monday. "3-D and virtual worlds really have the potential to revolutionize mobile and Internet users’ experiences," says Mika Setälä, Nokia’s director of industry alliances. "Consumers definitely will feel more involved and more engaged when they’re using these technologies.

The researchers will build on MeeGo, a Linux-based open-source operating system jointly developed by Intel and Nokia. The operating system is designed to work not only on smartphones but on other devices, such as netbooks and tablet computers, with a variety of hardware architectures.

Milhouse
2010-09-01, 00:02
Not sure what a half-baked "Second Life"-esque 3D UI has to do with the October launch... there isn't even a very nice looking 2D UI working on MeeGo Handset yet!

superhero
2010-09-01, 00:12
i think its going to release this october...
Source: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/31/ultrabrief-meego-1-1-to-land-in-october-2010-1-2-in-april-2011/

if not then probably it will be told announced at nokia world.

I think maybe I'll just watch this one out. Speculating and discussing it is exhausting. and also don't want to disappoint myself.

all fingers crossed.

Milhouse
2010-09-01, 00:30
i think its going to release this october...
Source: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/31/ultrabrief-meego-1-1-to-land-in-october-2010-1-2-in-april-2011/

if not then probably it will be told announced at nokia world.

I think maybe I'll just watch this one out. Speculating and discussing it is exhausting. and also don't want to disappoint myself.

all fingers crossed.

Those are ambitious plans - judging by what is currently available for testing on N900s there is an almighty boat load of work still to be done, and getting a release out by mid October just seems kinda fanciful. Perhaps that timeline is for the stock MeeGo Handset UX - which is more or less there already (and very dull) - but not the Nokia Handset UX which needs to add a lot more "bling" to make it interesting/competitive.

Besides, it's been stated on several occasions already that the next release will be Maemo6/Harmattan so even if a version of MeeGo is released during October I'd be surprised if we see it at launch of the next handset (N9).

Happy to be proven wrong though. :)

YoDude
2010-09-01, 00:52
Hi Hellflyer

There's talk of an October launch date on the meego homepage, and reference to the n900 on the meego handset page.

So why did you ask here? :confused:

Was this some sort of test? :(

... because I would have liked to have had a heads up or suttin'

Dang it! No one said anything about a pop quiz. :eek:

daperl
2010-09-01, 03:25
This image file lists 14 different devices:

/etc/meegotouch/devices.conf

The last one is interesting.

qgil
2010-09-01, 06:56
Will Nokia World have a status update on whether MeeGo1.1 is still on track to make the October launch?

The MeeGo releases are developed by the MeeGo project at http://meego.com . Nokia World is actually a different thing.

superhero
2010-09-01, 09:44
Those are ambitious plans - judging by what is currently available for testing on N900s there is an almighty boat load of work still to be done, and getting a release out by mid October just seems kinda fanciful. Perhaps that timeline is for the stock MeeGo Handset UX - which is more or less there already (and very dull) - but not the Nokia Handset UX which needs to add a lot more "bling" to make it interesting/competitive.

Besides, it's been stated on several occasions already that the next release will be Maemo6/Harmattan so even if a version of MeeGo is released during October I'd be surprised if we see it at launch of the next handset (N9).

Happy to be proven wrong though. :)

speaking practically, I don't see any actuall product anytime soon, but theoratically I'm really hope we see something soon.

about the nokia Version of meego If it looked anything like the video (source:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INVlmjJKXjk) then I think we might be surprised, because people loved the way it looked and thought might be the way to go. it might actually be released earlier then expected or maybe we r looking at a november/december launch.

besides I thought maybe Meego has a stock UX that is the basic. that will be released this october, but we'll see different versions from different companies where they add there own flare? or thats what I thought...

about the nokia N9, whats the deal, is it official, is that the final look/specs? because i'm reading alot about it. really whats up with it. its all over the internet like its already launched. but thats how i see. I think nokia saw how well it did, virtually, and might actually release it. since many people think its a mac look alike but did say they like the way it looks.

but actually i'm really waiting to see how this is going to turn out.

The suspense is killing. :):)

qgil
2010-09-01, 12:53
So are you saying the currently available MeeGo Handset UX is unrepresentative of what will finally ship? If so it's probably stating the obvious as MeeGo on handsets will get panned in it's current state, but would be good to hear officially (I have missed any official announcements to that effect). Is there an approximate ETA for when the updated UX will start to become available in the codedrop builds?

The MeeGo releases can be taken by vendors as is or they can build their own UX (open, closed, mixed) on top of it. Nokia has communicated consistenly that is developing a premium UX on top of MeeGo.

Nokia is leading the development of the MeeGo Touch Framewrok, which is open and available commit by commit at http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouch . What is being developed on top includes Ovi apps and services that are part of the Nokia differentiation as MeeGo vendor.

Any other MeeGo vendor can do the same.

johnel
2010-09-01, 13:03
So basically, meego handset UX 1.1 is released in October. This is "vendor neutral" release.

At a later date Nokia "enhanced" version of Meego is released.

It really depends how much of the Nokia version will be closed source/proprietary. E.g. OVI Services, OVI Maps, Flash and UI "Skin".

If Nokia want to release a meego-based handset at the end of the year ; I would imagine (judging by the current release) meego has a long way to go to be usable.

Unless Nokia's version contains "enhancements" beyond apps and drivers - e.g. other UI components.

nicolai
2010-09-01, 13:22
What is being developed on top includes Ovi apps and services that are part of the Nokia differentiation as MeeGo vendor.

I hope this does not mean, MeeGo Harmattan applications are as
closed source as Fremantle Applications.
I am talking about applications like Call-UI, Camera-UI, Contacts,
Conversations, MediaPlayer, ....

regards
Nicolai

Jaffa
2010-09-01, 13:32
It really depends how much of the Nokia version will be closed source/proprietary. E.g. OVI Services, OVI Maps, Flash and UI "Skin".

I suspect the majority of Nokia's proprietary layer will be just that: proprietary and closed. Everything which is open source will be in MeeGo, everything else will be Nokia controlled and closed.

johnel
2010-09-01, 13:44
All we can do is wait and see what is released during October MeeGo Handset UX.

Then see what happens when Nokia release their "flavour" of MeeGo.

johnel
2010-09-01, 13:55

regards
Nicolai

If we are talking about stuff like Contacts or MediaPlayer then anyone can write / install their own versions.

The problem is hardware drivers. E.g. graphic acceleration, camera and call functionality.

Thankfully most of the hardware drivers are open source (e.g. call functionality - see nitdroid and camera functions - see fcam).
I think the graphic drivers are the property of a third-party and is highly unlikely we'll see an open source version of that but maybe be allowed to distribute it under a "redistribution license".

Who knows? Nokia knows but is not saying anything (as usual).

egoshin
2010-09-01, 18:51
Actually, you can install a working MeeGo on N900 right now -

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Just don't forget to install a closed-source Nokia components from

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/meego-codedrop.php

It has uSD image and a new kernel binary.

qgil
2010-09-02, 04:22

We'll see. In any case the MeeGo project *is* developing open Call-UI, Camera-UI, Contacts, Conversations, MediaPlayer...

You have the option to contribute to those open source projects making them so great that no vendor feels tempted to put their investment in a poorer or just equivalent alternative.

mokkey
2010-09-02, 04:50
hmmmm i cant wait to see what nokia is packing but if they want to take back the phone scene they realy need to fix up

ne way at nokia world what are we going to see?

bandora
2010-09-02, 05:17
Looking at the architecture at http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture you can't find actually many components that are not present in Maemo or MeeGo-Harmattan (provisional name). In fact that stack is also far away from Moblin. Of course we can discuss better on these details once MeeGo-Harmattan is out.

Sorry qgil, but even with PR1.2 Maemo is far from being "final"... So it's a bit hard to swallow the fact that MeeGo/Harmattan is going to be different... I mean withou this great community Maemo 5 would've been an embarrassment...

Anyways, time will tell..

@egoshin, Can I dual boot into MeeGo?

riahc3
2010-09-02, 05:27
This image file lists 14 different devices:

/etc/meegotouch/devices.conf

The last one is interesting.

Could you post the contents of that file?

superhero
2010-09-02, 05:27
hmmmm i cant wait to see what nokia is packing but if they want to take back the phone scene they realy need to fix up

ne way at nokia world what are we going to see?
well people on this forum are hoping to see a glimpse of the nokia N9 or better and a lot of meego.

---OFF TOPIC---
Is it possible to watch these nokia world conferences/keynotes if u want to call it that. online, live stream? plz if yes let me know where!!!

Thanx

riahc3
2010-09-02, 06:04
---OFF TOPIC---
Is it possible to watch these nokia world conferences/keynotes if u want to call it that. online, live stream? plz if yes let me know where!!!

Thanx
Most companies allow this. Im not sure if they will or will not this year. We will have to wait.

mokkey
2010-09-02, 06:11
well people on this forum are hoping to see a glimpse of the nokia N9 or better and a lot of meego.

---OFF TOPIC---

Thanx

i say yes every company that has keynotes has live streams just got to find out were.

nicolai
2010-09-02, 11:14
You have the option to contribute to those open source projects making them so great that no vendor feels tempted to put their investment in a poorer or just equivalent alternative.

I am sure the community can help to make this real. Here are
many good developers and users, which helped to add missing
features or make good replacement for Maemo5 components.
But of course, this is hard work. And at the moment I can not
even start:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1317
Missing hardware requirements, no decent CPU (no virtualisation,
no SSSE3 instruction set, and no intel graphic card).
May take some time until I take part in this :-(

nicolai

daperl
2010-09-02, 11:50
Could you post the contents of that file?

I guess I can. It's a MeeGo file and not a Nokia file. I think. Anyway, here ya go:

[Default]
resolutionX=864
resolutionY=480
ppiX=261
ppiY=261
showStatusBar=true

[N900]
resolutionX=800
resolutionY=480
ppiX=261
ppiY=261
showStatusBar=false

[N95]
resolutionX=240
resolutionY=320
ppiX=153
ppiY=153
showStatusBar=false

[Pineapple]
resolutionX=480
resolutionY=320
ppiX=163
ppiY=163
showStatusBar=false

[N95i]
resolutionX=240
resolutionY=800
ppiX=152
ppiY=152
showStatusBar=false

[QVGAL]
resolutionX=320
resolutionY=240
ppiX=152
ppiY=152
showStatusBar=true

[N97]
resolutionX=640
resolutionY=360
ppiX=209
ppiY=209
showStatusBar=false

[mbook]
resolutionX=1024
resolutionY=570
ppiX=248
ppiY=248

[jax10]
resolutionX=800
resolutionY=460
ppiX=192
ppiY=192

[dellmini]
resolutionX=1280
resolutionY=780
ppiX=125
ppiY=125

[eero]
resolutionX=1280
resolutionY=720
ppiX=120
ppiY=120

[aava]
resolutionX=864
resolutionY=480
ppiX=256
ppiY=256
showStatusBar=true

[russelville]
resolutionX=704
resolutionY=480
ppiX=345
ppiY=345

[slate]
resolutionX=1024
resolutionY=600
ppiX=261
ppiY=261

johnel
2010-09-02, 11:59
I am sure the community can help to make this real. Here are
many good developers and users, which helped to add missing
features or make good replacement for Maemo5 components.
But of course, this is hard work. And at the moment I can not
even start:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1317
Missing hardware requirements, no decent CPU (no virtualisation,
no SSSE3 instruction set, and no intel graphic card).
May take some time until I take part in this :-(

nicolai

One of the key benefits of many Linux distributions is that they usually run on a wide range of hardware devices.

MeeGo is a step backward in that respect. You can achieve the same thing with "proper" custom-installations of something like Debian or Fedora.

At the moment all I see is Intel getting the benefit.

tissot
2010-09-02, 17:42
Some nice shots of handset UX customization(hopefully these haven't been posted already).
http://meego.com/sites/all/files/users/u10030/Contactlist.png
http://meego.com/sites/all/files/users/u10030/switcher_green.png
http://meego.com/sites/all/files/users/u10030/switcher_orange.png
http://meego.com/developers/ui-design-guidelines/handset/ui-customization-guidelines/introduction

wmarone
2010-09-02, 18:03
One of the key benefits of many Linux distributions is that they usually run on a wide range of hardware devices.
They do. Currently MeeGo runs on Intel CPUs with SSSE3 or better and Via's Nano chips, along with ARMv5 and ARMv7.

At the moment all I see is Intel getting the benefit.
Considering how much Intel is pumping into MeeGo, I don't see why they shouldn't. There are builds being done (and not by Intel) of MeeGo without SSSE3 requirements.

cfh11
2010-09-02, 18:06
The more I see of Meego, the more I think it has a shot of replacing Maemo 5 on my n900 :D

egoshin
2010-09-02, 18:14
@egoshin, Can I dual boot into MeeGo?

Yes. You have choices -

1. Boot from PC via USB - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot section "Dual booting using flasher". It is preferable for the first time, just to do an evaluation. Don't forget to put MeeGo image to uSD before that - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

2. Boot manually, without PC. You need to have a kernel-power installed from Titan, for exam (I believe it has kexec feature enabled). Then put Meego image on uSD (see again http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC). And execute kexec in N900 as in http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/kexec section "Running MeeGo".

3. Install MeeGo kernel permanently and have a dual boot ... but this needs some script patching because dual boot doesn't work with kexec (due to some bug). See http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot but you can't follow this because of that bug.

I need to admit - I didn't test all this due to lack of time.

EDIT: instead of writing raw image to uSD you can just install deb file from Nokia-patched MeeGo - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/meego-codedrop.php And Nokia kernel variant is there too, but I don;t know about - does it support kexec or not.

n900faniam
2010-10-15, 06:32
So it looks like the boys and girls over at meego are coming good on their October Launch.

Will this much anticipated os be fully functional and end-user friendly on the N900?

Lullen
2010-10-15, 07:01
So it looks like the boys and girls over at meego are coming good on their October Launch.

Will this much anticipated os be fully functional and end-user friendly on the N900?

Meego does not release when done, it releases at a specific week. As such it can not get delayed. The 1.2 will get released in april if I remember correctly.

This version is not fully functional nor is it end-user friendly. Maybe 1.2 is, maybe not.

Wikiwide
2010-10-15, 07:04
Yes. You have choices -

1. Boot from PC via USB - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot section "Dual booting using flasher". It is preferable for the first time, just to do an evaluation. Don't forget to put MeeGo image to uSD before that - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

EDIT: instead of writing raw image to uSD you can just install deb file from Nokia-patched MeeGo - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/meego-codedrop.php And Nokia kernel variant is there too, but I don;t know about - does it support kexec or not.

Where is this deb? Does it mean uSD isn't necessary for dual-booting Maemo and MeeGo? I should have tried USB networking... But I still hope I can use some easy command of flasher without mount and other complex commands.

I suppose I will wait till PR1.3 to try dual-booting MeeGo. I'm glad to hear that both MeeGo and better Maemo multi-boot support are coming this year.

white_ranger
2010-10-18, 07:07
What the hell is wrong with you people? A couple of months ago when you heard that N900 is going to get Meego you were all saying you'll flash to Meego as soon as it's released. Not when it's almost time for it to be released, you speak like you don't need it, maemo is better, you will stick to maemo... I don't get it...

Diph
2010-10-18, 07:56
Well, MeeGo is currently not ready for end-users. Maybe because of that.

dchky
2010-10-18, 13:04
What the hell is wrong with you people? A couple of months ago when you heard that N900 is going to get Meego you were all saying you'll flash to Meego as soon as it's released. Not when it's almost time for it to be released, you speak like you don't need it, maemo is better, you will stick to maemo... I don't get it...

I think 'people' are not having anything wrong with them here. There is no collective group think that I have seen, just similar threads of opinion that at times that can and do diverge in what is mostly an unpredictable manner. Human nature : )

For now Maemo is better in my opinion simply because it works well enough use - I don't doubt for a moment that MeeGo will be a more complete platform once the developers start thinking about calling it 'done'. If it works better than Maemo and comes with similar or better levels of 'openness' then I'll jump ship without a second glance backward as I suspect many others would.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that - but people are fickle and unstable :-) Including me.

n900faniam
2010-10-20, 22:41
Seems to be some confusion going on, trying to get to the bottom of this:

Will the up and coming PR1.3 allow us to dual boot between meego and maemo?

It sounds like some N900 users are getting a bit nervous about moving permanently to meego, a dual boot option would be the perfect middle ground.