PDA

View Full Version : Thank you developers and community =)

ddiscodave
2010-08-10, 16:13
I read the most recent "bye bye Nokia" thread by mchu6am4 today and I felt compelled to put this one together.

ill make this quick...........

Like so many of you, hence the reason for the existence of this community and forum, I have felt a deep sense of disappointment toward Nokia and this device in particular. Also, like many of you, I have been a Nokia LOVER for nearly 12 years and I was drawn to the N900 from day one.

I see a lot of b1tching and moaning here by all of us, myself included, and I feel badly that we lose supporters such as mchu6am4, so I am taking this opportunity to give my deepest thanks to not only the creators of this site, but to this community, and most of all to the developers who have helped to revive and carry this device and operating system once it became abundantly clear to me that Nokia killed it off and walked away from it.

I am not walking away from the N900 nor am i ready to walk away from Nokia yet, but i see how quickly Android is really taking a firm hold of the mobile market and making deep cuts into the market share that Nokia once had, and I might find myself owning one when i eventually enter the market for the "next best device".

I am humbled by the dedication that the developers have when they set out to keep our devices fresh and fun and useful, and I thank you all for the hard work!

much respect.

PS - to the mods.... i posted this in the applications forum because it is directed at the developers. sorry if i put it in the wrong place.

imperiallight
2010-08-10, 16:45
One nice thing about here is the direct link we have with a lot of developers and how we can see applications take shape during the development process

atilla
2010-08-10, 16:48
One nice thing about here is the direct link we have with a lot of developers and how we can see applications take shape during the development process

true words:)

Bazza
2010-08-10, 17:17
I wrote this about a week ago and was just going to post it and the thread i was going to post it to was closed down so i saved it and knew it would be usefull for a rainy day. It has similarities with what ddiscodave said but its just my take on things:-

' I'm no coder,porter or programmer i even thought linux was a character out of LOST CLICK HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Linus).

BUT......

i have learnt very basic skills just running through these threads following and trying to actively get involved in many projects of interest to me in which i am picking things up quite well (albeit a little slowly) and that is all down to the devs and the non-devs who all have more knowledge of this platform than i have and have given there time and know-how in helping me understand all this a little better and i appreciate this alot.

This place has brought people together from all over the world from helping each other out to just chatting about day to day things and generally it is mainly about an operating system and a phone/tablet.The N900 is not for everyone and sometimes it takes a brave person to take the plunge and purchase something they don't understand, some hate it straight away because its not a polished item and expected more and then there are others who embrace it and understand that with a little know-how and patience they can get their tablet/phone up to a standard of features and usage that they will be happy with and accept and still know that newer and better application are just around the corner.
I am one of those many people who are happy with the N900. Is it because it's my 1st open source tablet/phone and i'm still in 'the honeymoon period' with the phone because i can do what i want with it...who knows,
but coming from symbian to maemo was a risk and i am so glad that i took it and an added bonus is becoming a part of this community.

People are right nokia could and should have backed the phone alot more than what they have.
but hey thats the way it is, so look at this website and take a long look at all the applications that have been created and ported to the N900 from all the developers and porters who work in there own time to help get our tablets to a good standard of usability and quality that we should accept.
This community should give themselves a large pat on the back in recognition to where we are at and what we have achieved all by ourselves.

Well done '

shallimus
2010-08-10, 17:17
Good posts from both ddiscodave and Bazza. A pleasure to read, and makes me feel better about continuing to be an N900 user. Shame* it was necessary for you to write it in the first place.

* specifically, shame on Nokia for doing such a lousy job of communicating with the user-base; see the insanity surrounding the PR1.2 wait if you need evidence

atilla
2010-08-10, 17:30
I wrote this about a week ago and was just going to post it and the thread i was going to post it to was closed down so i saved it and knew it would be usefull for a rainy day. It has similarities with what atilla said but its just my take on things:-

' I'm no coder,porter or programmer i even thought linux was a character out of LOST CLICK HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Linus).

BUT......

i have learnt very basic skills just running through these threads following and trying to actively get involved in many projects of interest to me in which i am picking things up quite well (albeit a little slowly) and that is all down to the devs and the non-devs who all have more knowledge of this platform than i have and have given there time and know-how in helping me understand all this a little better and i appreciate this alot.

This place has brought people together from all over the world from helping each other out to just chatting about day to day things and generally it is mainly about an operating system and a phone/tablet.The N900 is not for everyone and sometimes it takes a brave person to take the plunge and purchase something they don't understand, some hate it straight away because its not a polished item and expected more and then there are others who embrace it and understand that with a little know-how and patience they can get their tablet/phone up to a standard of features and usage that they will be happy with and accept and still know that newer and better application are just around the corner.
I am one of those many people who are happy with the N900. Is it because it's my 1st open source tablet/phone and i'm still in 'the honeymoon period' with the phone because i can do what i want with it...who knows,
but coming from symbian to maemo was a risk and i am so glad that i took it and an added bonus is becoming a part of this community.

People are right nokia could and should have backed the phone alot more than what they have.
but hey thats the way it is, so look at this website and take a long look at all the applications that have been created and ported to the N900 from all the developers and porters who work in there own time to help get our tablets to a good standard of usability and quality that we should accept.
This community should give themselves a large pat on the back in recognition to where we are at and what we have achieved all by ourselves.

Well done '

bazza your post is exactly what i think.
i love this community and without maemo.org my n900 would be nothing.
all what ive done on my phone from customisation over hacks to all kinds of programs are made by this community.
there are so many whiner thread and im really happy to see that there are ppl like me which love this phone and the community.
i wish i could press thanks 50 times for that great positive post:)

Bazza
2010-08-10, 22:49
@atilla

Thank you for your kind words,

This tablet is a hobby now and it is quite addictive searching for new applications every day to boost the tablets features and also helping out the new and old members of the community who are having problems, i can only offer little/limited assistance but i feel i need to give somethiing back due to me getting alot out of it .:)

atilla
2010-08-10, 22:53
hobby is a great word for it:)
but you are totally right.
it is a hobby and my phone gets every day a little bit better.

maybe i can someday control the world with it!!

naah just kidding;)

Bazza
2010-08-10, 23:28
Why kid?

It nearly controls me....:D:D:D:D

Laughing Man
2010-08-10, 23:33

Yeah but Nokia and the more annoying members (trolls, fanboys, people who don't even try to use search) of this comunity are driving away those developers.

marxian
2010-08-11, 00:23
I don't think it's correct to say that Android devices are making 'deep cuts' in Nokia's market share, but it can seem that way, due to the proliferation of US tech blogs that paint the mobile device market as iPhone vs Android.

Anyhow, I own a HTC Desire in addition to my N900. The original plan was to sell my N900, the plan being based on all the hype surrounding Android. How could all those bloggers be wrong?

For me, Android is not a genuine competitor to Maemo. It is aimed at a different set of users. I have chosen to stick with the N900, and maybe sell the Desire, because no matter how I try, I just cannot be truly satisfied with Android. I need the true mobile computing experience provided by Maemo and the N900.

Like most, I have been impressed by the commitment of the devs and supporters in the Maemo community. I'm looking forward to contributing my own applications in the (hopefully) near future. The adoption of Qt has brought this a step closer.

My N900 is here to stay. :D

kulas
2010-08-11, 02:08
N900 and Maemo community ROCKS our world! :D:D:D

\m/

HellFlyer
2010-08-11, 02:22
Every time i read threads like this it reminds me of qwerty12 message :D

pycage
2010-08-11, 07:01
maybe i can someday control the world with it!!

naah just kidding;)

n900 # ssh god@world
world # echo "Doomsday! :)" | wall
world # init 0

SCNR

YoDude
2010-08-11, 07:35
I'm not a device-ophile who can not resist the urge to defile and corrupt young gadgets, I have not taken any vows toward any OS religion, I have never sworn allegiance to any manufacturer, and I do not like Kool-aid so I never drink the stuff.

Market share doesn't interest me because this market simply didn't exist when I bought my first NIT. What did and will always exist for me is a need for timely information delivered in a way that I can use it... period. If the total market was just me so be it. My life has always been about me anyway. :)

Many of these new devices deliver some of this information quicker, easier, and a hell of a lot better looking than a 770/N800-810/N900 does... but not all of it. The N900 doesn't deliver all that I need but neither does anyone else. The NIT's have nothing in their architectures or OS that was designed to prevent information from being parsed or new applications from being developed.

At first, hardly any of the information that the NIT's consistently delivered was available anywhere else. Now 95% of it is... but still not all of it. :) That last 5% is new content or delivery schemes that can be configured and parsed on the N900 via a new program or script without the need for a major OS upgrade.

Along with the latest celebrity crotch shot, or newest social networking craze, more and more useful information continues to come via the internet each day we are connected. Long before the first iWeather app hit this "market" we speak of you could pull up and display current local Doppler images on an NIT by simply snatching the source code from a local TV News web site and pasting it into your own locally stored web page. >> YoDoppler <<. (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=279177&postcount=1)

Years before Androids "Traffic Buddy" you could do the same with your local DOT camera images. Plus you had the freedom to display them in any size, refresh rate, and order that you wished. >> YoTraffic <<. (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=425047&postcount=1)

With the freedom of the NIT's browser you could in a matter of minutes cut and paste together HTML to display relevant info that you need for a special event or unique reference requirement, and then bring it with you with out all the adverts and connection overhead that a commercial web page has... >> This week-ends itinerary << (http://home.comcast.net/~fynspy/fest.htm)

With each web service that becomes available it is usually just a matter of days before a community member finds a way to use and display this information on a NIT.

Along with apps that use Google Street view, satellite imagery, RSS feeds and such the most recent example I can think of is a Pandora client that does it all with out ads and without restrictions.

My wife uses an Android but even so, she can not load and store that itinerary page I linked to locally so she has access to it without a connection. When a new Google service becomes available, she may not be able to fully use it without upgrading her OS first... and that requires root access.

She has had this new iDEN Android month or two since just before it's public release and root is still not publicly available. When the secrets to this model are revealed (a pirated copy of Motorola's latest radio service software or the boot loader for the first maintenance release is needed ;) ), the root process for many will involve visiting dubious web sites, following bogus links, downloading nefarious apps, and following instructions posted by a speed freak on the third day of his most recent crank run.

On the other hand, the method used by most N900 owners to gain root is an app that is featured on this communities main page. It was made available to all by a then 16 year old lad from E. London who just applied what he learned to the task at hand. It does not require a special decoder ring or any pagan chants to unseen gods. Support for its use was made freely available on this forum weeks before the N900's public release.

However, I fear the N900 was the first and last of these, more open then most, cell phone devices. It is no secret that Nokia needs the N. American market to survive. Kudos to them for first taking the road free of service provider influence on how and what content is available on a device. At the time decisions to move were made there were only a few ways available to do this if they wanted to win the hearts and minds of US consumers.

They could try to influence the FCC and its policies that allowed this tight service provider control or go in the back door and provide a means to connect that didn't require a dang service provider in the first place. 4 or 5 years ago the promise of ambiguous WiFi access in the US was just months away. Many major cities had signed contracts in hand to blanket their areas with coverage.

For many reasons both technical and economical, this blanket coverage didn't happen. If it had, I'm sure we would be on Maemo 8 or 9.0 by now and MeeGo would still be what a three year old says when they wet themselves...
Meanwhile, Google did end up influencing the FCC by aggressively bidding on new spectrum at auction. This got the service providers attention and they agreed to give Google a provisional seat at the big table. It looks like Google won this one because customer demand for Android could end up calling the shots for most of these players.

Nokia also took a half hearted stab at WiMAX, but that looked to many like Maemo product development was going to end up being controlled by the deployment schedules of, you guessed it, a couple of US service providers. Sprint pissed away an excellent opportunity for both companies by dragging its feet with WiMax.

Nokia is now paying the price for these early faith based gambles. My only disappointment is that they could have also gained a bigger foot print in the North American market by acquiring Motorola's consumer products division when it was available at fire sale prices a couple of years ago. This would have opened the door to US service providers but it would have required a clear vision and strong leadership by Nokia as Motorola's was pretty dang fuzzy at the time.

If my world wasn't all about me I would have to give Nokia points for taking this road in the first place. No one else did and manufacturers like Motorola were paying to much to the the piper for the song that US service providers were then playing. Now that Google is in, the battle may be won with servers. As Nokia is finding out with OVI, they have a lot of catching up to do.

CYPHERC
2010-08-11, 07:50
I hate the device i love the comunity... blame me...

mrt
2010-08-11, 09:15
i love this community and without maemo.org my n900 would be nothing.
all what ive done on my phone from customisation over hacks to all kinds of programs are made by this community.
there are so many whiner thread and im really happy to see that there are ppl like me which love this phone and the community.
i wish i could press thanks 50 times for that great positive post:)

That's it - exactly!

Thank you very much!!!

I, myself, feeling much better being with this great community, than depending on Apple, Microsoft, Google ...

Bec
2010-08-11, 10:33
I love this community too but I'm tired of nokia "changing" OSes like socks and not offering the required support.

As far as bug fixes and enhancements go if you look as samsung omnia HD (obviously no support from samsung at all) and HX, the guy who made about 8 major firmwares you'll see there's no need for a "team" of more than 1-2 skilled developers.

Nokia isn't willing to allocate even that much for N900 for bug fixes or porting MeeGo or bringing flash 10.

Until they launch meego and offer decent updates (eg from version 1 to version 2 of the OS) I'm going to endure some android...

yamakasi
2010-08-11, 12:31
i bought my n900 like 2 weeks ago, and despite the fact that Nokia ceased to support the device and the OS haven't changed my mind of getting it, because this wonderful community exist the n900 will continue to blossom.

thank you maemo.org

also...
like the tags ;)

fatalsaint
2010-08-12, 00:22
n900 # ssh god@world
world # echo "Doomsday! :)" | wall
world # init 0

SCNR

#In the beginning was the computer. And God said
:Let there be light!
#You have not signed on yet.
:God.
#Enter user password.
:Omniscient.
#Password Incorrect. Try again!
:Omnipotent.
#Password Incorrect. Try again!
:Technocrat.
#And God signed on 12:01 a.m., Sunday, March 1.
:Let there be light!
#Unrecognizable command. Try again!
:Create light.
#Done.
:Run heaven and earth.
#And God created Day and Night. And God saw there were 0 errors.
#And God signed off at 12:02 a.m., Sunday, March 1.
#And God signed on at 12:00 a.m., Monday, March 2.
:Let there be firmament in the midst of the water and
#Unrecognizable command! Try again!
:Create firmament.
#Done.
:Run firmament.
#And God divided the waters. And God saw there were 0 errors.
#And God signed off at 12:01 a.m., Monday, March 2.
#And God signed on at 12:00 a.m., Tuesday, March 3.
:Let the waters under heaven be gathered together unto one place
and let the dry land appear and
#Too many characters in string specification! Try again.
:Create dryland.
#Done!
:Run dryland.
#And God created Earth and Seas. And God saw there were 0 errors.
#And God signed off at 12:01 a.m., Tuesday, March 3.
#And God signed on at 12:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 4.
:Create lights in the firmament to divide the day from the night.
#Unspecified type. Try again!
:Create sunmoonstars.
#And God created Sun, Moon, Stars. And God saw there were 0 errors.
#And God signed off at 12:01 a.m., Wednesday, March 4.
#And God signed on at 12:00 a.m., Thursday, March 5.
:Create fish.
#Done.
:Create fowl.
#Done.
:Run fish'nfowl.
#And God created the great sea monsters and every living creature
that creepeth wherewith the waters swarmed after its kind and
every winged fowl after its kind. 0 errors.
#And God signed off at 12:01 a.m., Thursday, March 5.
#And God signed on at 12:00 a.m., Friday, March 6.
:Create cattle.
#Done.
:Create creepy things.
#Done.
:Now let us make man in our image.
#Unspecified type! Try again.
:Create man.
#Done.
:Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it
and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over of the fowl
of the air and over every living thing that creepeth upon the
earth.
#Too many command operands! Try again.
:Run multiplication.
#Execution terminated. 6 errors.
:Insert breath.
#O.K.
#Execution terminated. 5 errors.
:Move man to Garden of Eden.
#File Garden of Eden does not exist.
:Create Gard.En.
#Done.
:Move man to Gard.En.
#O.K.
#Execution terminated. 4 errors.
:Copy woman from man.
#O.K.
#Execution terminated. 3 errors.
:Insert woman into man.
#Illegal parameters. Try again!
:Insert man into woman.
#O.K.
#Execution terminated. 2 errors.
:Create desire.
#Done.
#And God saw man'nwoman being fruitful and multiplying in the
Gard.En.
#Warning: No time limit on this run. 1 errors.
:Create freewill.
#Done.
:Run freewill.
Gard.En.
:Undo desire.
#Desire cannot be undone once freewill is created.
:Destroy freewill.
#Freewill is an inaccessible file and cannot be destroyed.
#Enter replacement, cancel, or ask for help.
:Help!
#Desire cannot be undone once freewill is created.
#Freewill is an inaccessible file and cannot be destroyed.
#Enter replacement, cancel, or ask for help.
:Create Treeofknowledge.
Gard.En.
:Create good'nevil.
#Done.
:Activate evil.
#And God saw he had created shame.
#Warning: System error in sector E95. Man'nwoman not in Gard.En.
#1 errors.
:Scan Gard.En. for man'nwoman.
#Man'nwoman cannot be located. Try again!
:Search Gard.En. for man'nwoman.
#Search failed.
:Delete shame.
#Shame cannot be deleted once evil has been activated.
:Destroy freewill.
#Freewill an inaccessible file and cannot be destroyed.
:Stop!
#Unrecognizable command. Try again.
:Break
#ATTENTION ALL USERS ATTENTION ALL USERS: COMPUTER GOING DOWN FOR REGULAR
DAY OF MAINTENANCE AND REST IN FIVE MINUTES. PLEASE SIGN OFF.
:Create new world.
#You have exceeded your allotted file space. You must destroy
old files before new ones can be created.
:Destroy earth.
#Destroy earth. Please confirm.
#COMPUTER DOWN. COMPUTER DOWN. SERVICES WILL RESUME ON SUNDAY MARCH 8 AT
6:00 A.M. YOU MUST SIGN OFF NOW!
#And God signed off at 11:59 p.m., Friday, March 6.

Oldie but Goodie :D

imperiallight
2010-08-12, 00:26
As far as bug fixes and enhancements go if you look as samsung omnia HD (obviously no support from samsung at all) and HX, the guy who made about 8 major firmwares you'll see there's no need for a "team" of more than 1-2 skilled developers.

I had the Samsung Omnia HD too but I installed the HyperX Rom straightaway so I don't know how bad it was before. Virtual keyboard was much better I remember. Has its own very active forum considering its a specific symbian device, I was quite shocked.

Maruzko
2010-08-12, 00:38
Haha, I've never seen this before. Pretty funny even for the non-geekers.

Addison
2010-08-12, 04:42
I miss ukki. :(