View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] FileBox - File manager with root access and more

Pages : 1 [2]

theonelaw
2010-09-18, 02:31
Very nice (0.6-5)

sacal
2010-09-19, 00:28
Hi CepiPerez

I did install filebox 0.6-9 but i can't find the option to apply custom icons to subfolders.
Also in the about box the version is 0.6-8
As to the "#" char issue it still remains in 0.6-9. Looking at the source file mainwindow.cpp line 678:
678 file.replace("#","%2523");
i wonder why is it "%2523" and not just "%23" ?

Sorry if my question is nonsense as my knowledge of c++ is very limited.

Thanks

CepiPerez
2010-09-19, 06:45
When you select an icon it should ask if you want to apply to subfolders.
I've tried 23 before and doesn't work. if you open dbus-monitor and send a file via email you'll see it uses 2523 for the # character.

sacal
2010-09-19, 19:06
Hi CepiPerez
Thanks for your reply

Apply custom icons to subfolders works as you said.
I was looking for it on settings and tools and didn't notice the "change icon" option in the context menu - my fault. :o

The "#" char issue is of low importance but it really annoys me because with the standard filemanager it works without any problem.
In fact you are right about the string returned by dbus-monitor when sending a file by e-mail in filebox.
For instance for this file: "/home/user/MyDocs/#test.txt"
the dbus-monitor string with filebox is:
method call sender=:1.314 -> dest=com.nokia.modest serial=2 path=/com/nokia/modest; interface=com.nokia.modest; member=ComposeMail
string ""
string ""
string ""
string ""
string ""
string "file:///home/user/MyDocs/%2523test.txt"
Just for curiosity with standard filemanager is:
method call sender=:1.298 -> dest=com.nokia.modest serial=15 path=/com/nokia/modest; interface=com.nokia.modest;

member=ComposeMail
string ""
string ""
string ""
string ""
string ""
string ",file%3A%2F%2F%2Fhome%2Fuser%2FMyDocs%2F%2523test. txt"

Note that the file "#test.txt" is correctly attached to the e-mail using either filemanager or filebox.

However, if the file name is "%test.txt" the dbus string with filebox is:
string "file:///home/user/MyDocs/%test.txt"
and with filemanager:
string ",file%3A%2F%2F%2Fhome%2Fuser%2FMyDocs%2F%2525test. txt"
but although the file is attached when using filemanager with filebox there is no attachment.

It seams that the "%25" prefix is needed and not only with the "#" char.

I couldn't figure how to get the dbus string when opening "#test.txt". It would allow to compare filemanager and filebox and find why it doesn't work with filebox.

CepiPerez
2010-09-24, 12:35
I've uploaded version 0.7-1.
There's nothing new in this, I just clean some parts of the code.
The popup menu should work better now. Please test and comment.

@sacal: I've tryed to fix the # and % problem but no luck yet.

sacal
2010-09-24, 16:49
I've uploaded version 0.7-1.
There's nothing new in this, I just clean some parts of the code.
The popup menu should work better now. Please test and comment.

@sacal: I've tryed to fix the # and % problem but no luck yet.

Hi CepiPerez

Installed v0.7-1 and rebooted after install

In my device this new version doesn't run well:
- exits when trying to open the majority of MyDocs folders. It however opens some folders with just a few items inside.

Thanks

CepiPerez
2010-09-24, 17:03
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

sacal
2010-09-24, 18:47
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Sorry if i wasn't clear.
With multiselection enabled trying to open a folder crashes filebox.
If muitiselectiion disabled the folders open normaly

rabilon
2010-09-24, 20:38
I just installed 0.7-1. I've tested it fairly thoroughly and so far have not seen any problems. Multitouch works fine - I was able to select several files and send via bluetooth.

To me, this looks like the nicest file browser I've seen for the N900. It has a nice, straight forward display, it's easy to use, has a tremendous number of features, many preferences can be changed, and it works. Thanks!!

CepiPerez
2010-09-24, 20:43
@sacal:
Sorry, you're right. The new implementation for a faster popup menu fails on multiselection. That's why filebox crashes.
Uploading 0.7-2 now

rabilon
2010-09-24, 20:43
OK, further testing confirms that filebox 0.7-1 crashes consistently with multitouch enabled when trying to enter a folder by double clicking.

dsawhney
2010-09-24, 20:59
I've also seen some crashes with 0.7-1 and I don't have multi-selection enabled. To recreate the issue, go to a folder with at least one file, touch an empty area on screen and start scrolling up/down.

sacal
2010-09-24, 21:02
Rabilon

I am glad this new release of filebox works in your device without problems.
In fact filebox is the best filemanager for our N900,
Unfortunately in my device it crashes when i try to open a folder with multiselection enabled.
I did uninstall filebox and installed it again but the problem remains.
I also installed again version 0.6-9 and it worked fine.
So perhaps there is some incompatibility in my device with this new version of filebox.
Edit:
Just saw last posts.
It seams that I am not alone with this problem

rabilon
2010-09-24, 23:46
Sorry for this dumb question, but how would I install the 0.6-9 version?

sacal
2010-09-24, 23:50
@sacal:
Sorry, you're right. The new implementation for a faster popup menu fails on multiselection. That's why filebox crashes.
Uploading 0.7-2 now

CepiPerez:

Don't be sorry. You are always welcome and we are all thankful for your work with filebox. :)

I have just upgraded filebox to 0.7-2 and the open folder problem seams to be solved.

I am still testing this new release and later on i will post my results.

Thanks

Sorry for this dumb question, but how would I install the 0.6-9 version?

You may download it from here (http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing/pool/fremantle/free/f/filebox/filebox_0.6-9_armel.deb) and install but i think you should try and test new 0.7-2 version.

sacal
2010-09-25, 01:49
CepiPerez

I found no problems with this 0.7-2 release.
I am not 100% sure but it seams to me that this release is a bit faster when opening folders with lots of files / images (thumbnails active)

The popup menu in filebox works exactly the same way as in the standard file manager. So perhaps it is not possible to further improve it in your code.
I really don't like very much the way popup menus are implemented in maemo5 / QT as many times i end up selecting an unwanted option.
In my opinion they aren't much user / finger friendly:
- they popup under your finger hiding some items.
- the selection is activated when you release your finger (untouch)
- if you move your finger outside of the popup ( to see the hidden items) and untouch then the popup desapears.

This is just my opinion but I would prefer in filebox a menu icon (as the tools icon) instead of the current popup menu.

rabilon
2010-09-25, 03:24
0.7-2 seems to have fixed the problems. Thanks!

WhiteWolf
2010-09-25, 09:45
0.7-2 seems to have fixed the problems. Thanks!

I feel the same.

Thanks CepiPerez.

NightShift79
2010-09-25, 21:53
0.7-2 looks fine on my side.

but as for the german translation, you should better
use "Ordnersymbol ändern" instead of "Ändern Sie das Symbol"

regards

sub7
2010-09-26, 16:06
cepi you are the best, only I have a problem when trying to cut a file using the menu or ctrl x I get an error saying: ERROR: Nothing selected to paste

------------

cepi eres el mejor, solo tengo un problema, cuando intento cortar un archivo usando el menu o con ctrl+x me sale un error que dice: ERROR: Nada seleccionado para pegar

sacal
2010-09-26, 21:15
sub7:

To cut or paste a file you must previously copy it.

When you copy a file (or files when multiselection settings option is active) that file is temporarily placed in the clipboard.
Pressing the clipboard icon (the middle icon in the right toolbar) the clipboard content is shown.
Only if the clipboard content is not empty it is possible to paste (copy) or cut (move) the files.

sub7
2010-09-26, 23:46
but where is the button for copy? just is possible copy pressing ctrl + c ?? and how i can delete some file^?? i dont find any button for that too.

sacal
2010-09-26, 23:59
but where is the button for copy? just is possible copy pressing ctrl + c ?? and how i can delete some file^?? i dont find any button for that too.

When you keep your finger over a file or folder (for about 1 second) a popup or context menu opens.
There you will find the copy, delete and other functions.

sub7
2010-09-27, 00:09
OMG thanks man.

gryedouge
2010-09-28, 13:03
Just a question please, before i do anything stupid...thanks to fileboxes ridiculous ease of use abilities i am tempted to move my apps from opt folder to apps folder.

Is this going to be suicidal or can someone please educate me on how to do this correctly?

TIA!

CepiPerez
2010-09-28, 13:06
I guess apps folders is in MyDocs, right?
You can move the folders and make symlinks to them in /opt folder
Just make sure there's no symlinks inside the folders you want to move (symlinks doesn't work on MyDocs cause it's a vfat partition)

EDIT:
Anyways, I don't recomend you to do this.
If you want to save space, then frist you should try doing this in /home/user folder. I've symlinked Quake3 and Kroll files to MyDocs and get a lot of space.

RenaldoTT
2010-09-28, 13:12
How do you create symlinks?

gryedouge
2010-09-28, 13:13
@CepiPerez

Thanks for you feedback and suggestion! much appreciated.

And THANK YOU for a fantastic app. It has become my default file manager app.

CepiPerez
2010-09-28, 14:39
How do you create symlinks?

There's an option in FileBox for this (press the first icon in toolbar and you'll see this option)

dscobsct
2010-09-28, 20:44
so how about a create homescreen shortcut option for folders at least from the popup like youve talked about here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62388
would be completely awsome

Berserk
2010-09-29, 12:57
I've voted thumbs up, it only needs 1 more vote!
Please test/vote people :D

It took a while, but I promised to test, and I don't like breaking promises :p

fpp
2010-09-29, 14:45
Now there's eleven :-)

christexaport
2010-09-29, 15:09
so how about a create homescreen shortcut option for folders at least from the popup like youve talked about here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62388
would be completely awsome

Can I double thank this genius?? Please?

CepiPerez
2010-09-29, 15:14
@dscobsct, christexaport:
I think it's better to create a desktop widget for this.
I really don't like to view all folders shortcuts in my applications menu.

impeham
2010-09-30, 10:09
i have a suggestion if it was not given before:
add a "remember last folder" preference so when i launch it, it'll start in the last folder i've been in when i closed the application last time.
another important feature for me is to have a Back/Forward button that moves between folder browsing history.

Thanks for this - a great application :)

dscobsct
2010-09-30, 11:53
@dscobsct, christexaport:
I think it's better to create a desktop widget for this.
I really don't like to view all folders shortcuts in my applications menu.

im not sure we are on the same page, what i mean is when i hold down on a folder in filebox and get the popup menu, for there to be an option 'create desktop shortcut' in which case fileblox creates a .desktop. so on homescreen you will click on the shortcut and it will open the folder in question in filebox. mikey

CepiPerez
2010-09-30, 12:31
Yes, but you also see that icon in your applications menu
Anyways, it's easy to do. So I'll add this option if you want.

dscobsct
2010-09-30, 21:25
i would love for you to do that if its not too much trouble, it would make my device a step closer to perfect if i could use one of my desktops for shortcuts to my most used folders.

dscobsct
2010-09-30, 21:27
a*nd ow i see what you mean about seeing the icons in the app menu, but i use appmefo so i can put them in a folder out of the way. thanks CepiPerez

dscobsct
2010-10-02, 20:27
found a bug maybe
used filebox to move a load of pictures and videos from my dcim folder memory card to dcim folder on phone memory, 64MB it was, by way of copy to clipboard, then use scissors.
brought the whole device to a halt while it moved them, basically seemed as if the phone was hanging, waited about 10 minutes, and the transfere window was still saying about 50 percent complete, ended up rebooting. the files had been moved, and i thought it was just because of the large amount of data that id been transfering.
so later i moved some more photos beween the same folders, 14 MB this time, same again though, whole device was hanging, it took about 5 or 6 munites for filebox to tell me it had filished copying and another few minutes before the phone came back to fully operational.
can someone else try and see if they have the same effect or if its just my device?
i did think it may have something to do with tracker since they are images and vids i was moving. mikey

rantom
2010-10-05, 15:22
This a great app, nearly good enough to replace the regular Filemanager. I'd suggest though to improve the multi-selection, since it's kind of hard to move to a new folder, if I have the multi-selection enabled. Also, the File sharing seems to be a bit.. icky, since if I launch it on portrait, it goes to horizontal and requires you to re-portrait the phone, to get it fixed.

Anyways, great app, I'll keep looking up to it and hoping, that it'll replace the stock Filemanager some day. :)

WhiteWolf
2010-10-06, 14:40
Bug.
If we are in external memory, the state open terminal here, this terminal opens in / home / user "and not on the card.

kyros
2010-10-10, 20:16
can please someone tell me why the icons dont appear when i install the app? i just get all black squares with no icons :S

I have the same problem with this application.
Thus I cannot use the app. anymore because I do not see the function I want to click on.

On my system I also have the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" installed and "Fix PR1.2 Missing Icon" as well.

Does someone know a fix for this problem?

bonapart
2010-10-10, 20:21
try
$ killall hildon-desktop
or simple reboot

louispires
2010-10-10, 20:47
Well this seems like a bug, every time i try and copy something(Doesn't matter) what size then this screen pops up. I wait a second then it updates and shows 0% of The real size.

Hacker
2010-10-24, 08:12
I guess apps folders is in MyDocs, right?
You can move the folders and make symlinks to them in /opt folder
Just make sure there's no symlinks inside the folders you want to move (symlinks doesn't work on MyDocs cause it's a vfat partition)

EDIT:
Anyways, I don't recomend you to do this.
If you want to save space, then frist you should try doing this in /home/user folder. I've symlinked Quake3 and Kroll files to MyDocs and get a lot of space.

I love the app. Question: I have Kroll and would like to use Filebox to save space, but I don't want to mess anything up. What step by step process would you suggest for a Noob? The symlink idea seemed like a winner, but I need an explanation of how to accomplish this. Thanks.

Mentalist Traceur
2010-10-24, 17:30
If anyone's interested, I am currently using the extras-devel version. Today (didn't connect my N900 to the internet once yesterday) I saw the latest update for FileBox. Tried to update. Both HAM and FApMan are unable to install. Since HAM is utterly useless it gave no clues as to what went wrong - FApMan however said that dpkg reported errors - and told me to see the log for details.

So, can anyone hint where dpkg saves it's logs, so that I may copy what the log says and paste it here in case it helps the dev?

- Edit -

I tried /etc/dpkg/ and /var/log/ as two possible spots. I'll look around more as time permits, but I can't find it so far.

- Edit 2 -

Found the FApMan log - don't know where dpkg's log is, but this seems like it says something useful (I cut out all the reading package lists / diff files stuff before and after).
--- 2010-10-24 13:25:29 ---
/usr/bin/apt-get -qsy --allow-unauthenticated -o Dir::Etc::sourcelist=/opt/fapman-cache/sources.list -o Dir::State::lists=/opt/fapman-cache/lists -o Dir::Etc::sourceparts="" --auto-remove install filebox
--- 2010-10-24 13:25:35 ---
Output from last process:
---
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Recommended packages:
zip unzip unrar
The following packages will be upgraded:
filebox
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Inst filebox [0.7-2] (0.7-3 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)
Conf filebox (0.7-3 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

--- 2010-10-24 13:25:39 ---
/usr/bin/apt-get -qy --allow-unauthenticated -o DPkg::options::=--force-confnew -o Dir::Etc::sourcelist=/opt/fapman-cache/sources.list -o Dir::State::lists=/opt/fapman-cache/lists -o Dir::Etc::sourceparts="" --auto-remove install filebox
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Recommended packages:
zip unzip unrar
The following packages will be upgraded:
filebox
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 645kB of archives.
After this operation, 111kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
filebox
Authentication warning overridden.
Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free filebox 0.7-3 [645kB]
Fetched 645kB in 1s (358kB/s)
(Reading database ... 36368 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace filebox 0.7-2 (using .../filebox_0.7-3_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 255
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
rm: cannot remove '/etc/sudoers.d/filebox.sudoers': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/filebox_0.7-3_armel.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 255
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/filebox_0.7-3_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

awesome
2010-10-26, 07:34
try
$ killall hildon-desktop
or simple reboot

I have the same problem where no icons are displayed (only gray boxes) and restarting phone doesn't help

CepiPerez
2010-10-26, 11:30
@Mentalist Traceur:
Seems you've lost /etc/sudoers.d/filebox.sudoers file. I don't know why.
But this is easy to fix: Make a new one.

@awesome:
Can you tell me if the icons exists?
The're located at /opt/filebox/icons (three folders with subfolders and icons inside).
And show me what's inside this file: /home/user/.config/cepiperez/filemanager.conf

Mentalist Traceur
2010-10-26, 12:18
Thank you CepiPerez. I reflashed to 1.3 yesterday, and it installed fine over that, but I appreciate you pointing out what happened. :) This way I know to look for that in the log next time.

luiscesjr
2010-10-27, 01:05
Well, first of all, thanks Cepiperez for the great app.
I've had this prob before, but I solved it, but I came across it again, and
I have no clue how to solve it now.
I uninstalled some apps form my phone, and there is always some libs going with them.
when i try to open the app form the icon it simply don`t open, and form xterm, it gives me.:

" /opt/filebox/filebox : error while loading shared libraries libQtmaemo5.so.4: cannot open shared object file bla bla bla "

So I knew it could be solved by installing the libq4-maemo5-maemo5 package, but this package is no longer supported from pr1.2 as this disclaimer says .:

" Promotion of experimental Qt based applications (qt4-maemo5) is blocked due to conflicts with Maemo 5 PR1.2."

Now I can`t find the packages, and my great filebox doesn`t work =/
I had it since 0.4 version, and it`s hard to live without!!!

Please, if someone has a solution, would be greatly apreciated...

Rob1n
2010-10-27, 08:02
Well, first of all, thanks Cepiperez for the great app.
I've had this prob before, but I solved it, but I came across it again, and
I have no clue how to solve it now.
I uninstalled some apps form my phone, and there is always some libs going with them.
when i try to open the app form the icon it simply don`t open, and form xterm, it gives me.:

" /opt/filebox/filebox : error while loading shared libraries libQtmaemo5.so.4: cannot open shared object file bla bla bla "

So I knew it could be solved by installing the libq4-maemo5-maemo5 package, but this package is no longer supported from pr1.2 as this disclaimer says .:

" Promotion of experimental Qt based applications (qt4-maemo5) is blocked due to conflicts with Maemo 5 PR1.2."

Now I can`t find the packages, and my great filebox doesn`t work =/
I had it since 0.4 version, and it`s hard to live without!!!

Please, if someone has a solution, would be greatly apreciated...

You need to install libqt4-maemo5 (not libqt4-maemo5-maemo5).

luiscesjr
2010-10-27, 08:55
You need to install libqt4-maemo5 (not libqt4-maemo5-maemo5).

Ops, sorry, yeah you are right, my fault, I wrote it wrong.
But it's exactly this one that does not appear anywhere...
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt4-maemo5-dev/
Thx for the reply man

Rob1n
2010-10-27, 09:53
Ops, sorry, yeah you are right, my fault, I wrote it wrong.
But it's exactly this one that does not appear anywhere...
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt4-maemo5-dev/
Thx for the reply man

That's the wrong one. It's actually rather confusing with the names. The old dev versions were called libqt4-maemo5-XXXXX (where XXXXX is the specific modules they're implementing - core, gui, multimedia, network, dev, etc.). The production versions are called libqt4-XXXXX. All clear so far, except that one of the modules is called maemo5, which is where it gets a bit awkward.

Anyway, what you want is http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt4-maemo5/ which is in the Nokia SSU repository, so make sure that's enabled and updating without errors.

luiscesjr
2010-10-27, 10:31
Well, thanks man, I owe you one.
it`s because I wanted to install it from xterm using the package
itself since my only working internet connection is from my pc, the 3.5
network of my service provider is damn expensive.
As soon as I lay hands on a wifi, I will run apt-get!

Wikiwide
2010-11-21, 10:31
Quick reply...
Thanks for:
1. Autorotation;
2. File editing;
3. Compressing/uncompressing;
4. Custom icons (unfortunately, it's a program-specific setting, while in Windows the image is stored in the folder so that any program could know about it);
5. full access to system (frequently, after I purge a package, some config files remain behind).

Question:
Can filebox see files from bluetooth FTP server? I have a bluetooth server, desktop Linux (Ubuntu) can browse files on it, Maemo default file manager seemingly couldn't.
And osso-filemanager depends on bluez...

Of course, open source filebox (in Qt, right? add it to debian dependencies) is better than osso-filemanager which heavily depends on hildon.

So, could you start implementing bluetooth functionality into filebox?

And: width and height of images, memory usage of partitions, date of file modification, file size could be put into details sub-window. It's not always comfortable to read this in small letters below the file.

Thank you for the program!

RenaldoTT
2010-11-21, 11:35
How do you uncompress folders and which folders can you uncompress. I noticed it happened to me a couple times but I'm not sure how I got the uncompress function.

Thank you

fuyoh
2010-11-21, 11:42
suggestion.

is it possible to show the original directory of symlinked item like midnight commander ?

DaSilva
2010-11-21, 11:53
Can you please add the possibility to edit the permissions of a file (make it executable or 777 etc.)?

AlMehdi
2010-11-21, 12:15
I would be really happy if you could add support for current icon theme. You could get it from /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to know what the current theme are. I don't know how you implemented the supported ones.. but as all files uses the same name and are at the same place it would be easy to do.

Crashdamage
2010-11-21, 12:31
How do you uncompress folders and which folders can you uncompress. I noticed it happened to me a couple times but I'm not sure how I got the uncompress function.
I think you mean open (expand) a folder to show the contents. Just double-tap the folder to open, hit the 'up' arrow (back button) to close.

RenaldoTT
2010-11-21, 16:18
Yea that's what I meant sorry but thanks

Wikiwide
2010-11-21, 21:36
I would be really happy if you could add support for current icon theme. You could get it from /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to know what the current theme are. I don't know how you implemented the supported ones.. but as all files uses the same name and are at the same place it would be easy to do.

The Filebox seems to try to be independent of other system. It uses its own themes in /opt/filebox/icons. However, it's theoretically possible to add your own 'symlink' theme which would add support for current icon theme. There isn't need to read any files for it.

EDIT: attached tar.gz
After extracting it there should appear a folder
/opt/filebox/icons/current
full of symlinks
And in Filebox settings there should appear one more theme:
current

Select it, close and open Filebox, and Filebox should use icons from your current Maemo icon theme

AlMehdi
2010-11-22, 13:51
The Filebox seems to try to be independent of other system. It uses its own themes in /opt/filebox/icons. However, it's theoretically possible to add your own 'symlink' theme which would add support for current icon theme. There isn't need to read any files for it.

EDIT: attached tar.gz
After extracting it there should appear a folder
/opt/filebox/icons/current
full of symlinks
And in Filebox settings there should appear one more theme:
current

Select it, close and open Filebox, and Filebox should use icons from your current Maemo icon theme

Thanks for the howto but i was asking not only for me but others. If you are using a custom icon-theme you just found in the app manager you would not bother..

It would be a simple thing to implement and would optimize the download size of filebox. Instead of pointing to /opt/filebox/icons/icon.png it could point to /usr/share/icons/*variable*/48x48/icon.png. Where the variable get's the icon theme string from /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.

Wikiwide
2010-11-22, 21:49
Thanks for the howto but i was asking not only for me but others. If you are using a custom icon-theme you just found in the app manager you would not bother..

It would be a simple thing to implement and would optimize the download size of filebox. Instead of pointing to /opt/filebox/icons/icon.png it could point to /usr/share/icons/*variable*/48x48/icon.png. Where the variable get's the icon theme string from /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.

Filebox wants to be independent from osso, hildon and their themes. At least, it's my impression.
That's why it uses its own themes. Not to mention that clipboard, cut, copy, paste icons cannot be found in an osso theme.

That's why, supposing that all themes use the same icon names, I offered to use symlinks: it should allow you to effortlessly integrate Filebox into whatever theme you use.

I understand that it would be possible to read /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. It would even be possible to read text and background color from the same file. But it would be the way of depending on GTK and hildon, while Filebox is Qt-based.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the way, default filemanager does have bookmarks, but they are hidden. It's also supposed to have folder tree, though I have never seen it.

What about adding option of folder tree in sidepane to Filebox?

AlMehdi
2010-11-23, 04:36
Filebox wants to be independent from osso, hildon and their themes. At least, it's my impression.
That's why it uses its own themes. Not to mention that clipboard, cut, copy, paste icons cannot be found in an osso theme.

That's why, supposing that all themes use the same icon names, I offered to use symlinks: it should allow you to effortlessly integrate Filebox into whatever theme you use.

I understand that it would be possible to read /etc/hildon/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. It would even be possible to read text and background color from the same file. But it would be the way of depending on GTK and hildon, while Filebox is Qt-based.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the way, default filemanager does have bookmarks, but they are hidden. It's also supposed to have folder tree, though I have never seen it.

What about adding option of folder tree in sidepane to Filebox?

Well.. then he could just add an if-statement and still be open to other OSs. Keeping it integrated but still independent. He could also add the clip board icons to the stock hicolor-theme.. which would be used if the current theme you are using does not. However... it would be a breeze for a developer to add it to his icon-theme. I would do it to the AwOken theme. ;)

The folder tree idea are awesome.. would love to see that one.

P@t
2010-11-29, 13:33
Using Filebox for some time, I recently tried to use a cool feature: unzip.

However I am just not able to do it. I have a zip file that I double-click, and nothing happens...
I tried to maintain a click to have the menu but I can see nothing else than 'compress' but not 'uncompress'.

The zip file unzip fine on my computer though...

I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall Filebox but not surprisingly it didn't help.

Any ideas welcome ;)

CepiPerez
2010-11-29, 13:56
You need to install unzip for this
It's not installed with filebox
Open x-term and type:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install unzip

matts76
2010-11-29, 13:57
Works fine for me, are you sure you have the zip, unzip and unrar utilities installed? none of them willwork if you dont first install them from thr repo's.

Edit; @CepiPerez you beat me to it by like one minute:(

P@t
2010-11-29, 14:03
obviously that can help :)
I should have checked this but honeslty thought that was part of the dependencies!

So basically "compress" is integrated but not "uncompress"...

Thanks for the quick reply

etuoyo
2010-11-29, 14:45
I am right in thinking filebox cannot view the hidden folders in my docs (.sounds, .images, .videos). Or is there some setting I need to change to be able to view them in filebox (other than changing all of them from . folders).

marxian
2010-11-29, 14:54
I am right in thinking filebox cannot view the hidden folders in my docs (.sounds, .images, .videos). Or is there some setting I need to change to be able to view them in filebox (other than changing all of them from . folders).

You need to tick 'Show hidden files and folders' in the settings.

Wikiwide
2010-11-29, 21:32
obviously that can help :)
I should have checked this but honeslty thought that was part of the dependencies!

So basically "compress" is integrated but not "uncompress"...

Thanks for the quick reply

There is already tar on the system, so anything can be compressed into tar archive, whether you have other archive programs or not.

Filebox recommends zip, unzip, unrar, but doesn't force them, in case you don't need them.

etuoyo
2010-11-30, 18:04
You need to tick 'Show hidden files and folders' in the settings.

Oops didn't realise that the settings screen was scrollable lol. Same thing happened to me with the phone settings menu. Thanks.

Le_Petit_Lapin
2011-01-01, 17:31
I seem to be having a problem with copy and pasting files with Filebox. The wee root access box is ticked, and has been restarted.

So I know that when you hold your finger on a file, it brings up the pop-up list, I scroll up and select copy, yes?

But then when I goto paste it with either CTRL+V or the wee paste from clipboard button in the tool menu, it returns something along the lines of "ERROR: Nothing selected to paste"

Tried enabling the select multiple items thing and ticked the ones I wanted copied, then hit CTRL+C, but that doesnt seem to work for me either.

Anyone wanna help me out here? I must be missing out something very basic but important. :(

Other than that, nice file manager, thanks!

tele
2011-01-01, 17:49
amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing app. thnx

Wikiwide
2011-01-01, 21:49
I seem to be having a problem with copy and pasting files with Filebox. The wee root access box is ticked, and has been restarted.

So I know that when you hold your finger on a file, it brings up the pop-up list, I scroll up and select copy, yes?

But then when I goto paste it with either CTRL+V or the wee paste from clipboard button in the tool menu, it returns something along the lines of "ERROR: Nothing selected to paste"

Tried enabling the select multiple items thing and ticked the ones I wanted copied, then hit CTRL+C, but that doesnt seem to work for me either.

Anyone wanna help me out here? I must be missing out something very basic but important. :(

Other than that, nice file manager, thanks!

Use clipboard icon.

Two sheets of paper: paste the clipboard items which are ticked into the current folder.
Scissors: move the clipboard items which are ticked from their original location to the current folder.
Eraser: for the clipboard items which are ticked, forget they were copied.
Trash can: delete/remove/erase the clipboard items which are ticked from the file-system, completely.

impeham
2011-01-15, 11:22
when i try to copy a large file (3.5 GB) from a usb disk on key to micro SD card storage i get an error of "not enough space to proceed". if i try to do the same copy operation with emelFM2 it works fine.
Why does filebox not allowing large file copying?

Schturman
2011-01-18, 23:47
Hello
Maybe someone know where the filebox is save thumbnails of images and icons ?
I have a little problem, if I change some system icons (by my PC), in the filebox I still see the original icon (the thumbnail of icon).. Reboot not help...

CepiPerez
2011-01-19, 11:08
CTRL+R clear the thumbnails cache

Schturman
2011-01-19, 12:20
Thanks, but where I should do this ?
I tried to go to the folder, I check the file with wrong thumbnail and I pressed CTRL+R, this did something like refresh, but the wrong thumbnail is still here..
Where is my mistake ? or where is thumbnails located ?

n900maniac
2011-01-19, 14:36
The best file manager i ever used. I chose pygtk editor as the default editor.
Excellent app. Thank you.

CepiPerez
2011-01-19, 15:08
Thanks, but where I should do this ?
I tried to go to the folder, I check the file with wrong thumbnail and I pressed CTRL+R, this did something like refresh, but the wrong thumbnail is still here..
Where is my mistake ? or where is thumbnails located ?

CTRL+R should remove ALL thumbails
The folder is /home/user/thumbnails/filebox
Go to this folder and check if it's empty

Try this in root mode, maybe it's a permission problem deleting cache.
If that's the problem I'll fix that

Schturman
2011-01-20, 14:38
Hi
When I went to the folder /home/user/thumbnails/filebox, I marked all the files and I tried to run a command CTRL + R and my phone stuck in a bit ..
I saw the CPU is 80-90%, I waited and waited, but nothing.. I did reboot to my phone and when I tried open the "FILEBOX" it's took a very long time (5-7 min)...
I tried again delete this files, but I got the same result...
I updated the version to 0.7-3 and tried again, but I got the same result...
I did uninstallation to the "FILEBOX" and I went to the folder /home/user/thumbnails (in X-Tetrm), I tried delete the folder "filebox" and again my phone stuck in a bit and the CPU is 80-90%. Only now I understand why it's happened... I think this happened because a large amount of files... I waited something like 15-20 minutes ! for completing process .. After that I installed the "FILEBOX" again.. (v 0.7-2)

Weedalot
2011-01-20, 21:13
a suggestion: add multi checking when deleting and sharing files or moving, like in the standard file manager other than that this one is awesome manager

Schturman
2011-01-20, 22:32
a suggestion: add multi checking when deleting and sharing files or moving, like in the standard file manager other than that this one is awesome manager
You can use CTRL+A...

Weedalot
2011-01-20, 23:19
You can use CTRL+A...

yea figured couple things out, but still got a feeling that the original file manager deals with this a bit user friendly so to speak.
you choose "delete" than check the files and do so. also had an error deleting a folder using the FileBox and the standard file manager let me delete it.

Again, the FileBox is awesome and provides much more than the built-in manager but its my 10c

ajayjohn
2011-01-23, 10:50
Fantastic app mate!!! Its one of my most frequently used applications!!! Thanks a lot for making my N900 so much more awesome! :)

Just some suggestions...
1) Would it be possible for you to reduce the touch and hold time for the context menu a bit? Or atleast making it configurable via settings.
2) Also, as @Weedalot was suggesting, i personally feel the systems default implementation for multi-select dialogues is a little better in usability.
3) A file/folder details menu and configurable keyboard shortcuts can also be nice additions too.

Would love to see this application develop further if you have the time. Sorry if i have repeated some previously mentioned stuff as i haven't gone through all the pages of this thread.

Weedalot
2011-02-09, 02:24
is it just me or someone else has this problem? not all icon packs are loaded in FileBox, i am using an-droid theme with icon pack and i have only humanity hicolor and Black-Plastic to choose from, but i also got pleego,pleego-black icon set and an-droid icon set installed.

ivgalvez
2011-02-09, 07:34
It seems that Filebox comes with its own icon packs instead of using system ones, it also implements its own icon selection in configuration.

I think it's not needed any more. CepiPerez, you could remove the select icon theme feature and use system defaults, as it can all be configured from Theme Customizer.

Pillum
2011-02-11, 18:36
how do i delete selected files? (remove the file not the selection)

Weedalot
2011-02-13, 16:06
how do i delete selected files? (remove the file not the selection)

select files and than press and hold on any of the selected files till the popup menu appears, than choose delete.

NightShift79
2011-02-13, 21:24
is the dev still working on filebox ?
I hope to see an "set file attribute" option.

CepiPerez
2011-07-21, 14:37
is the dev still working on filebox ?
I hope to see an "set file attribute" option.

I've uploaded 0.7-4 version to extras-devel
Added storage devices list (like default filemanager).
I'll see if I can add attributes option to next version.

ivgalvez
2011-07-21, 14:53
Hi CepiPerez, I did a little suggestion for FileBox in another thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1051495&postcount=117), dunno if you have seen it:

I think it would be easier to use it if multiselection was only possible by clicking in the checkbox beside the element, instead of in any place of the element as it's implemented right now. This way, you could have multiselection always enabled, at the minimum cost of loosing a few space for the checkbox, while still being able to navigate with one click.

evan
2011-07-21, 15:10
I like the way I can get to the memory card faster now with devices.
By the way, I second the above suggestion, since I don't use multiselection because of the way it is now implemented.

CepiPerez
2011-07-21, 19:25
Yes you're right, multiselection sucks
I'll change it

dattadude
2011-07-21, 20:02
first of all awesome app!!! thank you!!!

it seems selecting thumbnail option or trying to extract any archive leads to the freezing of the device. . .

the only way to restart is to pull battery out. .

ny idea on wich settings are recommended?

thks in advance. . i have all options selected except thumbnail view display so my device does nt freeze on app launch.

haffid
2011-07-21, 20:38
is good to hear news about you Cepi you are a great developer.

impeham
2011-07-24, 15:03
I have an wierd issue with filebox - when i start the application, all icons are empty (see picture).
will erasing the config files help? where can i find them?
Thanks.

Joseph9560
2011-07-24, 16:07
@impeham change icon theme from setting, close file box then open it again should do the job. @Cepiperez what about adding property menu in long press (folder size, number of files and folders inside), even more importantly find feature to search files/folders and what about custom size of file/folder list height/font size, what about tree view as in x-plore app from lonelycatgames.com.... Gosh too many feature requests I have to mention here, hope you will implement some in your spare time!

Estel
2011-07-24, 17:08
Just little info - when used in parallel with Easy Debian, new "devices" screen show 3x N900 and 3x memory card.

Kabouik
2011-07-24, 22:24
Yet an another file manager, but the best I've seen so far! Thanks for this great app.

A small suggestion: it would be extremely-highly-amazingly-turbo-awsome if it supported letters with accents. It would be very useful for french people namely. This is my case and I can't open folders with accents in their names (they are not displayed and manually filling the adressbar does not solve the problem).

Yes, it's a localization job, may be it requires a lot of work, I don't know.

Bump after one year. :D Compatibility with accented characters would be very useful for many European people.

Zentenario
2011-07-26, 21:06
Great App, guy!!! The one I use for file managing since I got my N900 one year ago. BTW, as some others said before, I would much appreciate capacities for file searching (including hidden files in hidden folders).

One question: I don't know why but since this morning, while I was copying a big folder (cities) to tmp folder with Filebox and an income call appeared (i couldn't catch the call; phone seemed to hang for a long while with the screen blocked), something wrong is happening: my built-in memory folder is no longer named "N900" (home/user/MyDocs) as up to now but with an unreadable description ("M-GM-,MM-T9qg"). Is it something known for somebody? It doesn't let me rename it. I've reinstalled app for several times (even app icons didn't appear; now they do). Any help is more than welcome.;)

Temporal
2011-07-30, 06:14
Hi, sorry for bothering, but I'm having a little problem that I'm failing to find a solution for (either there is no solution or it is not my problem):
"Error
Not enough space to proceed"
Whenever I try to copy or move files. As you can see here:
~ $ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0:rootfs 233344 208644 20420 91% /
tmpfs 1024 84 940 8% /tmp
tmpfs 256 96 160 38% /var/run
none 10240 84 10156 1% /dev
tmpfs 65536 4 65532 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p2 4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /home
/home/opt 4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /opt
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python2.5
4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /usr/lib/python2.5
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/pyshared
4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /usr/share/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/pyshared
4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /usr/lib/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/python-support
4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /usr/share/python-support
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python-support
4128448 1839148 2079588 47% /usr/lib/python-support
/dev/mmcblk0p4 4127076 571460 3345972 15% /media/mmc2
/dev/mmcblk1p1 15618048 12667488 2950560 81% /media/mmc1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 22021376 9080064 12941312 41% /home/user/MyDocs
I have plenty of space left in all my partitions. Would you mind to tell me what would be the problem?

Thank you.

SHARP66
2011-07-31, 21:19
great app
Chepy make a little effort for us > Searching capability for Filebox

Zentenario
2011-07-31, 21:44
great app
Chepy make a little effort for us > Searching capability for Filebox

great news and good work!!! When will this update be available at the repos?

wittyheart
2011-08-19, 15:25
how to delete a file using filebox? please help...

SHARP66
2011-08-19, 22:12
how to delete a file using filebox? please help...
just push the file you want to delete about 2 sec. and u will see the answer :)

wittyheart
2011-08-20, 11:28
just push the file you want to delete about 2 sec. and u will see the answer :)

thanks!!! that worked.

toxicated
2011-08-22, 11:24
m having a problem while installing this app,when i begin to install it error apprears "Unable to install filebox.Some application packages required for installation are missing and when i go for details it says the application package missing :bzip2

please advice how can i solve this :(

iTor
2011-08-22, 12:53
install bzip2 package first

apt-get install bzip2

and then try again installing filebox.

NightShift79
2011-08-22, 17:27

Anything new on that one?

tcbl50
2011-08-25, 08:07
wanted to say thank u for this wonderful app! so useful especially for browsing my samba network shares!

SHARP66
2011-08-28, 04:56

eee...searching capabilities...when..or never? :)

WhiteWolf
2011-08-28, 12:14
I think a good improvement would be only to allow the copy and move operations in the background to continue working with other files.

Excellent application. Essential.

Estel
2011-08-28, 14:25
since upgrade, I encounter bugs with copying. I got "automatically check files in clipboard for copying" and "delete files from clipboard after paste". Then, everytime I copy and paste something, alongside legitimate file, items from last copy/paste are also copied. I've double checked that clipboard contain *only* new files. It's funny, kinda, cause "old" files get copied even if it's weeks and many reboots since "legitimate" operation of copying them.

It seems, that clipboard gets cached somewhere, and work wrong way. It's 100% reproduceable, all the time.

SHARP66
2011-08-28, 22:43
since upgrade, I encounter bugs with copying. I got "automatically check files in clipboard for copying" and "delete files from clipboard after paste". Then, everytime I copy and paste something, alongside legitimate file, items from last copy/paste are also copied. I've double checked that clipboard contain *only* new files. It's funny, kinda, cause "old" files get copied even if it's weeks and many reboots since "legitimate" operation of copying them.

It seems, that clipboard gets cached somewhere, and work wrong way. It's 100% reproduceable, all the time.
there is a config. file in opt/ filebox...but i don't think that will help you

Estel
2011-08-29, 06:29
Me neither ;)

helloct
2011-09-10, 15:19
How to access to my microSD? it only show my phone memory

SHARP66
2011-09-10, 21:44
as I see no one is crying for the search button for filebox
I do not understand why.

archl
2011-09-10, 21:52
People manage their files well. No need of searching.

But recently I met "no responding" frequently.

I suppose there is a bug due to other libs upgrade.

Estel
2011-09-11, 01:22
terminal got its own very advanced search functionalities, just google for it.

SHARP66
2011-09-11, 02:49
terminal got its own very advanced search functionalities, just google for it.
than why should I use filebox at all :confused:
I like to push buttons, not typing texts :(
push_button> founded 20 files>push_button>bookmarked all
not faster...I think it is

And there is a searching app. but that have no application path on funded file.
Nobody is perfect...why filebox:D
Anyway I will build one in pyqt ...I think....just to disect more codes.

Estel
2011-09-11, 03:04
To be honest, I find terminal much more convenient for most tasks (bright auto-completing of patches, very easy handling of multiple files via expressions etc.). Of course there are use cases where i prefer filebox, ho ever I think the more I know about our linux computer, the less is use GUI for that. Non on purpose or to feel "geeky" - terminal is just really better for many things.

Anyway, we're off-topic'ing here a little.

WhiteWolf
2011-09-26, 12:18
The power to explore the DLNA server such as native file browser would be fine.

Thanks for such a good program.

marbleuser
2011-10-11, 19:33
i'd like to report a bug!

filebox doesn't handle inverted commas ( ' ) in file names. e.g. i have an mp3 file in a directory with an inverted comma in it and when i click on it media player can't play it..

HtheB
2011-10-11, 21:14
Somehow, I can't download Filebox to the N9 within the Ovi store...
Says that it can't download the file :/

Sirius
2011-11-07, 19:21
Hello.

I have a problem regarding Filebox and other programs.
I have a N900 running Maemo CSSU(Not necessarily relevant, it happened while on the official build as well).

In some programs, including FileBox, the icons inside the program are not shown.
In FileBox it's just a blank box (Those 5 icons on the right) and in other programs it's an "X".
They do function, but i cannot see which is which.

What could be the problem, and how could i fix it?

Thank you in advance.

pusak gaoq
2011-11-07, 19:42
Hello.

I have a problem regarding Filebox and other programs.
I have a N900 running Maemo CSSU(Not necessarily relevant, it happened while on the official build as well).

In some programs, including FileBox, the icons inside the program are not shown.
In FileBox it's just a blank box (Those 5 icons on the right) and in other programs it's an "X".
They do function, but i cannot see which is which.

What could be the problem, and how could i fix it?

Thank you in advance.

you can change the icon in filebox in....

filebox/setting(right/second box from down))/icon style

reboot then your problem will be fixed once you open filebox again...

Sirius
2011-11-07, 20:01
Thank you very much.
That worked.

I have another program (GPE File Manager) where I have the same problem.
Icons 3,4 and 5(Bottom left) have an "x" instead of the icon.

Has this happened to someone else?

Zentenario
2011-11-07, 20:15
It happened to me with Filebox too. Are you using Theme Customizer? If yes, try to check and change the set of icons you are using from Theme Customizer (maybe you have set up an icon set there now missing in your system).

Sirius
2011-11-07, 20:35
I am not using Theme Customizer.
Maybe the previous owner did.
But I guess that all trace of that app were removed when I flashed to CSSU.
The theme is the default blue.

I hope I'm not pushing the subject way off topic.

Estel
2011-11-08, 08:27
May seems off-top'ish, but I would do full-reflash (rootfs + eMMC), after getting N900 used by someone else before. Well, I actually did, as first thing after purchasing ;) It saves a lot of troubles.

/Estel

Sirius
2011-11-08, 12:11
I don't know if I'll go for a full format again.
It must be something with the default icon pack, something broken.
Thank you for the advice anyway.

nicholes
2011-11-08, 12:46
@CepiPerez

i have been using this cool app for a very loooong time

but...... i pressed Thanks! button today (sorry for being too late)

SLVR
2011-11-22, 20:43
Dumb question but ... how do you add a folder to favorites?
I can't do anything that would add it, just a blank list of favorites appears when clicking/holding/dragging the icon.

pusak gaoq
2011-11-22, 21:46
Dumb question but ... how do you add a folder to favorites?
I can't do anything that would add it, just a blank list of favorites appears when clicking/holding/dragging the icon.

favorites??? i think it is called bookmarks not favorites :D

anyway if you do want to add folder to bookmarks than go to that folder then choose/click the first icon on your upper right (tool icon)...a popup will appear...select "add to bookmark" then done....

:D :D :D :D

Schturman
2011-11-26, 11:57
Hello
I did reflash to my phone (N9) and now I can't install filebox from Nokia store, I always get error on downloading...

I tried also from terminal:
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get autoremove
apt-get update
apt-get install filebox

And I get this message:
Fatal error: empty package download url
Err
sub-process returned an error code
failed to fetch exec: ////usr/bin/osa --get 'filebox' sub-process returned sn error code
E: unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update...

How I can fix this ? And where I can download version 0.0.8 for harmattan ?
Thanks

EDIT: Problem solved..

hongquan
2012-01-04, 06:32
There is a bug with the start up page if we choose to show "Devices":
- If the FileBox run with root access, it shows "Devices" with "Nokia N900" and "Memory card", similar to the N900's "File Manager".
- If the FileBox run with normal access, it shows nothing in "Devices".
http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/3258/2e0d78323143437bb5654b41da8408cb.jpg

Estel
2012-01-04, 11:17
Unfortunately, developer of FileBox - CepiPerez - shifted his interest into Harmattan (which is ok, everyone is free to do so), dropping support for his packages without any notice, and ignoring PM's not related to his new toy (which is not ok IMO, but again, he is free to do so).

So, unless someone pick up work on this nice filemanager, or scrap it and create another one from the beginning, we're doomed to live with bugs reported months ago.

/Estel

ivgalvez
2012-01-04, 12:04
Time to fork?

gidzzz
2012-09-17, 17:40
I was so fed up with the bug which disallowed deleting of folders containing hidden files that I decided to do something about it -- and upload the fix to the repository, so everyone (well, only extras-devel users, to be exact) can benefit.

However, it doesn't mean that I'm willing to be the new maintainer, as my brain hurts from looking at the source. :(

Estel
2012-09-17, 18:42
Is it that bad, to the point that it's more feasible to write simple&effective GUI file manager from scratch (or port some debian'ish one), than fix filebox?

// Edit @ following post:

Oh my :eek:

gidzzz
2012-09-17, 19:59
The source package doesn't build cleanly, source code is partially in Spanish and full of names like pushButton_2, sPath, val5 and th1, and [after rewriting most of the code contributed by CepiPerez to OMP] I'm afraid to think what else I can find there when it's deciphered.

Fixing small bugs might be not that hard, so I encourage someone with a more resistant sense of aesthetics to look into the code (if it was me, I'd probably end up with half of the application rewritten, and that's not very efficient). ;)

ivgalvez
2012-09-18, 09:07
Thanks for this small fix. Even if you are not willing to provide more updates to the application, you could ask for maintenance in order to promote this version to Extras.

ade
2012-09-18, 09:27
The source package doesn't build cleanly, source code is partially in Spanish and full of names like pushButton_2, sPath, val5 and th1, and [after rewriting most of the code contributed by CepiPerez to OMP] I'm afraid to think what else I can find there when it's deciphered.

I clearly recognize that from the Clock replacement code initially made by CepiPerez. Most variables/files have/had no meaningful name (like val1, push_button2 indeed), and if they had it was mostly Spanish.

This made getting familiar with the code less easy. I have replaced some variable names and added comment in the Clock replacement code, so it is more clear to me now.

Nevertheless CepiPerez made a good base for me, which I, with my lack of Qt/C++ knowledge, would not be able to accomplish.

sixwheeledbeast
2012-09-18, 16:19
Thanks for this small fix. Even if you are not willing to provide more updates to the application, you could ask for maintenance in order to promote this version to Extras.

There are still other small issues with FileBox IIRC.
See here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/Darp)

guilledoc
2012-09-19, 01:24
Just asking why it last so long starting FileBpx is that normal or it's me?

ade
2012-09-19, 08:24
Just asking why it last so long starting FileBpx is that normal or it's me?

What do you mean by long, how many seconds are we talking about? In my case it takes about 8 seconds.
It could be you have a lot of files in your files in your opening folder. Do you use thumbnails? CTRL-R should clear the thumbnails cache.

guilledoc
2012-09-19, 12:37
for me it last more than a minute did ctrl-r abd uncheck thumbnails and it didnīt change it takes almos 1:20 minuts to start :(

Edit :now unchcheck show images and started much faster 10 sec more or less like I always say first check oneself and if you are sure that you didnīt do anything wrong then blame others... or just realize that maybe you didnīt look inside of you that much as you should had ;)

Joseph9560
2012-09-21, 22:04
If anyone wants to become maintainer for the app, please consider adding search/find feature.

Estel
2012-09-22, 20:30
You're aware that, while sitting in any directory, you can "search" for some names by just writing them on keyboard?

If, by any chance, You mean searching recursively, it should be as easy as adding find --name, and some gui field for it. BTW, --name parameter accepts wildcards.

/Estel

ade
2012-09-23, 17:55
Triggered by the small bugfix from gidzzz I gave FileBox a little love as well ;-)

Changes:
* Added Dutch language
* Added help button in status menu which displays available keyboard shortcuts

The help screen is just plain English btw (no translations) ...

ade
2012-09-27, 22:53
There is a bug with the start up page if we choose to show "Devices":
- If the FileBox run with root access, it shows "Devices" with "Nokia N900" and "Memory card", similar to the N900's "File Manager".
- If the FileBox run with normal access, it shows nothing in "Devices".
http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/3258/2e0d78323143437bb5654b41da8408cb.jpg

Uploaded version 0.7-7 to extras-devel which fixed this problem.

CepiPerez
2012-09-27, 23:17
Hey ade thanks for the fixes
I don't have my n900 to fix those problems

And I know the source is a ****
It was my first app and it's unreadable
Never had the time to clean it and rename functions
Sorry for that

aStrike
2012-09-27, 23:29
FileBox is a great, useful, must have app that can replace the n900 stock file manager.
Amazing work!
My only suggestion is for tabs for directories, I often find myself moving back and forth between folders and it's a little annoying.

sixwheeledbeast
2012-09-29, 11:40
@Next person to give some love to filebox :)

Can you investigate on how to make the date stamp in files follow the system default (currently American style)

ade
2012-09-29, 12:26
It now uses this pseudo code:
if language = "english"
format = "MM/dd/yyyy"
else
format = "dd/MM/yyyy"

That's correct for EN_us, but not for EN_gb.

Should not be too hard for me to make it use the system format...

Edit: Fixed in version 0.7-8 (extras-devel repo)

Estel
2012-09-29, 22:57
If we're on filebox - anyone else noticed this strange behavior?:

When You set to sort files by date, and then, search one by writing it's name, upon marking one (highlighting for operation), it *changes position*, like it's - literally - running from under Your stylus. It makes selecting few files very hard, sometimes, as they're, literally, jumping around, after every "mark".

Maybe someone know why it's like that, and if yes, would be able to fix it?

/Estel

sixwheeledbeast
2012-09-29, 23:19
If we're on filebox - anyone else noticed this strange behavior

I can't confirm that behaviour.
Can you provide exact steps and/or a screencast etc.

Mentalist Traceur
2012-09-29, 23:20
It now uses this pseudo code:
if language = "english"
format = "MM/dd/yyyy"
else
format = "dd/MM/yyyy"

That's correct for EN_us, but not for EN_gb.

Should not be too hard for me to make it use the system format...

Edit: Fixed in version 0.7-8 (extras-devel repo)
That reminds me, I absolutely hate how Nokia hard-coded Date and number formats to region.

I absolutely despise America's *****ic mm/dd/yyyy format. And I personally think the whole world ought to switch to yyyy.mm.dd format for everything.

Anyway, good fix (and I am pleasantly surprised to see that FileBox is getting random updates from random folks).

Garrett_PL
2012-09-30, 00:51
Anyway, good fix (and I am pleasantly surprised to see that FileBox is getting random updates from random folks).

FileBox is truly great tool to handle files and all stuff that comes along with it. But I think would be the best if one or team of great minds could work on it, it's always better to have one update once in a while, instead louds small updates every week or so.

inidrog
2012-10-09, 19:12
Thank you for a superb app. I wish for an option to run two instances, is it even possible? Open new window and or just start the app twice.

Edit:
I forgot; I cannot find a way to make bookmarks.

Bob_B
2012-10-10, 01:57

... I personally think the whole world ought to switch to yyyy.mm.dd format for everything.

I've never seen that format anywhere. Who uses it?

Personally I don't mind mm.dd.yyyy but prefer dd.mm.yyyy

mr_pingu
2012-10-10, 06:41
I've never seen that format anywhere. Who uses it?

Personally I don't mind mm.dd.yyyy but prefer dd.mm.yyyy

Indeed I don't see the yyyy-mm-dd anywhere but that could be me :P Just like you I finde the dd-mm-yyyy the most convenient to use

Android_808
2012-10-10, 16:54
i use it in filenames. its really handy for sorting files both alphabetically and chronologically at the same time.

aditya_123412
2012-10-10, 17:21
There should be a search feature and an "Open with" option too.
That would make it a complete file browser

peterleinchen
2012-10-10, 20:55
the whole world ought to switch to yyyy.mm.dd format for everything.True!
--edit2
Or maybe better yyyy-mm-dd. as this is more unique.
--edit2 off

--edit
cannot withstand to say that also Germans should switch from saying to numbers, e.g. 46
6-und-vierzig (deutsch)
but
vierzig-sechs (international)
like a lot of other countries (okay, except France ;))
--edit off

I've never seen that format anywhere. Who uses it?Quite a lot of programmers for logging and sorting purposes.

Personally I don't mind mm.dd.yyyy but prefer dd.mm.yyyyAnd who tells you the format, if you get 05.07.2012?
Is it 5th of July? As a lot german, european would say.
Or 7th of May? As american/asians would say.

But it is totally OT, and we should not continue this here ...

Estel
2012-10-11, 11:19
And who tells you the format, if you get 05.07.2012?
Is it 5th of July? As a lot german, european would say.
Or 7th of May? As american/asians would say.

same apply for yyyy.mm.dd - no one can be sure, if it isn't hickup like yyyy.dd.mm ;)

But it is totally OT, and we should not continue this here ...

True! /spank self

/Estel

pichlo
2012-10-12, 16:18
I've never seen that format [yyyy.mm.dd, edit by me] anywhere. Who uses it?

I believe it is the default date format used in Japan.

To bring it back to the topic, I have an amusing story to share. This morning, Filebox bricked my N900. How did that happen, I hear you ask. Well, I was trying to copy a folder with about 2GB of data from the SD card to the main memory using Filebox. I went click and hold on the folder, select copy. Navigate to the destination, select paste, BANG! The device rebooted. It ended up in a reboot loop because I had moved my swap to the second partition on that SD card. Good old Bootmenu! I was able to boot to the console and switch back to the original swap. After that the deviuce sprang back to life but the SD card was busted. No partition table. This happened with no access to an alternative SD card reader so I will have to wait a bit to assess the extent of the damage and see if I can rescue any data. I had some family pictures on it not yet copied anywhere else.

Estel
2012-10-12, 20:55
But why you think it's filebox fault. It rather sounds like SD card coming close to EOL period. I've found, that cheap SD cards tends to lose partition table few days/weeks before dying for good. You may reformat it now, but soon, you will face similar problem, and then - 3th or 4th time - it will get impossible to repair it, at all.

/Estel

pichlo
2012-10-14, 21:07
It was a catchy line to grab your attention :) I am not convinced it was Filebox's fault. I know some cards die but I was not expecting a card to die during a read operation. Of course there was a hidden write operation too since I had a swap on that card and the most active culprit at the time was Filebox. But I agree blaming FB is unfair. Sorry.

FWIW, the card is totally dead. Debian cannot find it at all, N900 can but thinks it is 32MB instead of 8GB. Time to invest in a better card I reckon.

wangiwan
2012-10-18, 12:21
hi..

can someone pls help me.. im just finish flashing my n900.. after tat.. i would like to install back my favourite application.. when i try to install filebox.. got a prblem.. bzip2 is missing.. so i try to get the bzip2.. in xterminal.. root.. i type.. apt-get install bzip2.. (correct me if im wrong).. but cannot install bzip2.. dunno why.. can someone help me pls.. i really need this app ---> filebox....

thanx in advance..:(

dannejanne
2012-10-18, 12:26
Is there a way to get permission somehow to be able to work with system files with filebox for example? Like renaming them or copying over edited images files etc.?

artpra
2012-10-18, 12:28
@wangiwan
I will be guessing (not much info in Your post) but You forgot to add full set of repositories via HAM after reflash.

sixwheeledbeast
2012-10-26, 22:06
Anybody else noticed the thumbnails do not update if the file has been deleted replaced.

Is this trackers fault or FileBox?

SHARP66
2012-10-27, 01:36
Anybody else noticed the thumbnails do not update if the file has been deleted replaced.

Is this trackers fault or FileBox?
on mine it updates instantly if I rename, delete
..but how can You replace a file with different thumbnail ....I do not understand :).... if you replace with the same name the thumbnail will remain....not?
buy a hamster

sixwheeledbeast
2012-10-27, 06:46
on mine it updates instantly if I rename, delete
..but how can You replace a file with different thumbnail ....I do not understand :).... if you replace with the same name the thumbnail will remain....not?

Hamster although cool lacks some of the features provided here.

It's ok I think it's the tracker due to the files in question being located in .images.

/home/user/MyDocs/.images/screenshot001.png

If delete the screenshot and take a new one (that replaces screenshot001.png) the original screenshot thumbnail is still there.

shabmanu
2013-01-27, 05:41
can you plz help me with the sourcecode of filebox?

sunil
2013-05-06, 11:25
Since I updated to latest CSSU Thumb, filebox takes forever to load (2-3 minutes) and locks up the CPU while loading. Though, once loaded, works perfectly. Even when loaded from terminal, takes forever, and does not show any errors. Tried unistalling and reinstalling, but did not make any difference. Is anyone else experiensing this or it is just me? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found the culprit. The directory /home/user/.thumbnails/filebox must have been corrupt and had over 40000 files in it. Deleted the folder and all is back to normal.

pichlo
2013-05-06, 19:43
Haven't had that problem but thanks for bumping as I wanted to ask a question of my own. How can I start multiple instances of Filebox?

handaxe
2013-05-06, 20:11
Haven't had that problem but thanks for bumping as I wanted to ask a question of my own. How can I start multiple instances of Filebox?

I do not see your loading problem either.

As for the other issue, try "filebox" from a terminal. Works or me.

AapoRantalainen
2013-05-22, 11:04
How can I start multiple instances of Filebox?

At least from terminal:
filebox & filebox

AapoRantalainen
2013-05-22, 17:19
When You set to sort files by date, and then, search one by writing it's name, upon marking one (highlighting for operation), it *changes position*, like it's - literally - running from under Your stylus

I can't confirm that behaviour.
Can you provide exact steps and/or a screencast etc.

I can reproduce this.
Start FileBox
Multiple selection = ON
Create new directory: Testingbug
Go to that directory
Create new directory: First
Create new directory: Second
Change sorting: Sort by date, newest first.
-> You see (in this order): Second, First
Touch directory First (the bottom one)
-> "First" is moved to the most upper on the list.

---
Video about this bug: http://youtu.be/jGDtcD7TDrI

Garrett_PL
2013-05-22, 18:14
Since I updated to latest CSSU Thumb, filebox takes forever to load (2-3 minutes) and locks up the CPU while loading. Though, once loaded, works perfectly. Even when loaded from terminal, takes forever, and does not show any errors. Tried unistalling and reinstalling, but did not make any difference. Is anyone else experiensing this or it is just me? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found the culprit. The directory /home/user/.thumbnails/filebox must have been corrupt and had over 40000 files in it. Deleted the folder and all is back to normal.

Thank You Sir, I was struggling with the same thing for over few months now. To open Filebox I had to wait 3-4''. Deleting the folder that You pointed out was 5" long, and all crap that was there it is hard to name (around 23000 files) of 23ft23876.jpg.png.png.png.png - and so on. Thanks again.

AapoRantalainen
2013-05-23, 08:03
I read two threads about existing bugs and feature requests and gathered them to the wiki page: http://wiki.maemo.org/FileBox

There are also empty chapter for manual (just fill it, please).

I'm planning to do some fixing. Ade, what are your plans? I will start with creating git repository, but should I continue with this name or create fork?

Estel
2013-05-23, 11:03
Just out of curiosity - why not contributing to Hamster filer, instead? It have active maintainer (who still is very glad to accept contributions), have readable and well commented code, etc...

AFAIK, gdizzz, Hamster filer creator, also started with plans of contributing to Filebox, but changed plans after getting severe headache, while trying to get through Filebox source code ;)

Not trying to discourage anyone - it may be just silly to split resources.

/Estel

AapoRantalainen
2013-05-23, 20:27
Just out of curiosity - why not contributing to Hamster filer, instead?

Not trying to discourage anyone - it may be just silly to split resources.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87152
You are right, not wise to split resources. Seems that Hamster Filer has better future.

Usman4life
2016-10-07, 09:24
i tried to load filebox but didn't open at all, it will just keep loading then it will close itself. i don't know the reason, i even try to uninstall & install it again but still the same. i tried to load it on terminal it shows this message......

chown: /home/user/filebox-terminal: No such file or directory
/opt/filebox/filebox: symbol lookup error: /opt/filebox/filebox: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
Nokia-N900:~#

i need your help pls.

handaxe
2016-10-07, 17:50
chown: /home/user/filebox-terminal: No such file or directory

This is harmless - it refers to a script that is run when you have a small app called "rootsh" installed, to gain root status.

/opt/filebox/filebox: symbol lookup error: /opt/filebox/filebox: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
Nokia-N900:~#
i need your help pls.

Somehow or other, you have a library(?) installed which differs from what filebox expects or the library is missing.

What are you running on the n900, CSSU, thumb etc, and what version of filebox?

michaaa62
2016-10-07, 18:51
I do not know much about the error or the state of filebox package.

If you are looking for a useful file manager, hamsterfiler might be your best guess.

handaxe
2016-10-07, 19:00
Agreed, hamsterfiler is very good.

FWIW, filebox 0.7-8 works for me on CSSU thumb.

I wonder if the error is within QT?

Usman4life
2016-10-10, 21:49
This is harmless - it refers to a script that is run when you have a small app called "rootsh" installed, to gain root status.

Somehow or other, you have a library(?) installed which differs from what filebox expects or the library is missing.

What are you running on the n900, CSSU, thumb etc, and what version of filebox?

I've reflash the phone and restored all my applications back from app manager including the filebox itself and the filebox is now working perfectly, it even load very-very fast in less than 10 seconds.