PDA

View Full Version : NOT ALLOWED error

dhanurdhar
2010-08-12, 10:06
hi,
been using my 900 for more than a month now and experienced a new problem for the first time.
having problems with downloading files. earlier on by clicking on a file it would show me the name and folder to be saved and would start the download automatically when i clicked save.

Today out of the blue when i try and download any file be it mp3 or a pdf, word doc, zip file. at the save point it says NOT ALLOWED(even attachments from gmail).
According to me i havent changed any settings..

any help\thoughts are appreatiated..
thanks a ton

dchky
2010-08-12, 10:17
What are your permissions on the folder you want to save items in?

AlMehdi
2010-08-12, 10:21
Open the terminal and write:

ls -l /home/user/MyDocs

dhanurdhar
2010-08-12, 12:16
ALMehdi , dchky

Did exactly that and it worked like a charm.what do you think the problem could have been. Am new to terminal and linux, well even the N900.

thanks a ton.. really appreatiate it :)

dchky
2010-08-12, 12:33
Unfortunately it's quite hard to diagnose without knowing a little more about your activities on the phone. Usually I mess things up with an errant chmod or chown in a terminal (x-term). Many applications interact with the file system, so more than a few of those have the potential to take ownership or modify things around a bit.

One possibility is that you created (mkdir) a directory as 'root' in /home/user somewhere, then used the GUI to copy a file in to that folder - depending on permissions it may well give you a "Not Allowed" error. That kind of thing I sometimes trip up on, but over time you build up a cause and effect list in your head so you can figure things out fairly quickly.

It's sometimes helpful to try running applications that are giving you errors from x-term, most are quite verbose in their output, so you can often figure out where the problem is from logging or error messages.

Glad you're up and running again.

Cheers.

dhanurdhar
2010-08-12, 21:24
You are right on that front.. frequent use and one can figure out all the cool stuff..
Since we are al ready on the topic, can you recommend any place where i can get the basics of terminal, maemo etc.. also do we have an unrar/unzip for N900. heard there was one in the devel repositories but i shall be staying away from that as i dont know didly squat :):)

thanks once again
cheers

pycage
2010-08-12, 21:31
It could be due to the memory card becoming read-only. This happens if the N900 encounters a filesystem error.
In that case connect the device to a computer via USB and run scandisk on it, or fsck.vfat, or whatever your OS provides to repair filesystems.
fsck.vfat can be run directly on the device, too, as root.

dhanurdhar
2010-08-12, 22:33
ok figured out one of the problems that i was experiencing.now even when i am connected to the PC and i try and drag and drop a simple mp3 file.. error is
YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO CREATE THIS FILE

so its EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID
any thoughts on how i can disable the "created directory as root" so as to gain permission to do all the normal functions i used to

not terminal savy hence i keep bothering you guys:(..
sorry and thanks in advance