PDA

View Full Version : Did 770 live this long

ehab
2010-08-21, 19:23
If your 770 lived until now, then it is an amazing piece of durable hardware.

Bundyo
2010-08-22, 07:14
Mine works okay.

rcull
2010-08-22, 08:18
Mine still works mostly. I blew the charging circuit three years ago ( I charge the battery externally )

fpp
2010-08-22, 09:47
Mine is fine too, except the battery is getting old, obviously.

tuXer
2010-08-22, 10:00
Mine works well, too.

RobbieThe1st
2010-08-22, 10:28
Mine that I got off Ebay works good.
Admittedly, the rsmmc slot's gone(I modded it with an 8GB SD card), but it works fine.

wavefinder
2010-08-23, 00:31
mine still works! used occasionally. i love the magnetic cover! everybody is amazed at the design of the cover. oh and the unit. but, i use my n800 more, and there again i use sometimes my itouch which has just freezed on me and it requires a full restore to get it to charge so i will lose everything on it! and have been playing with a friends htc hero, very impressive! TOYS are just TOYS! don't you just love your toys!

onion
2010-08-24, 07:23
Both of mine works just fine, not that I use them much these days. I run with OS2006 on one and just switched from OS2007HE to OS2008HE on the other.

mrp
2010-08-24, 07:58
No problems at all. Use HE2007. Every time I open My 770 I wish N900 had a screen of the same size. It's a pity that Nokia just did not squeeze all the power of it that 700 had yet to give.

tnhh
2010-08-24, 08:15
Mine is still alive. That said, I hardly ever use it.

bunanson
2010-08-28, 21:18
Up and running, battery is fine, charging goes a lot faster and slightly warmer now a day, sign of prodromol dying? I just cannot get over with the screen size...........how and why N900 was conceived :( ? And on top of this, the SD boot and total image backup and restore and its almighty metal cover with the elegant sturdy sophisticated built stand.

bun

silvermountain
2010-08-29, 00:01
Up and running, battery is fine, charging goes a lot faster and slightly warmer now a day, sign of prodromol dying? I just cannot get over with the screen size...........how and why N900 was conceive :( ? And on top of this, the SD boot and total image backup and restore and it almighty metal cover with the elegant sturdy sophisticated built stand.

bun

Hm, I might just have to get a 770 to play with if I can find one for 40-50 bucks.

bac522
2010-10-23, 21:26
I was using mine quite a bit until about 2 weeks ago when I picked up an Android Tablet...well actually it was an ereader that I converted into an Android tablet.

I still use the 770 for Maemo Mapper since I don't travel enough to get a purpose built GPS, although with prices of GPS' now a days that will probably change too.

quingu
2010-10-24, 19:24
Mine's still going, like a tank. I'm totally spoiled by the n900, tho. Can't get myself to find a good use for my 770, but can't make me give it away, either.

racky
2010-10-26, 09:05
I am still using mine(2 of them), and they are working great. I use it more than my N800.

atz6975
2010-10-30, 06:31
Still running. Just saw F4 rise of Silver Surfer : the only good think was th 770!!!

gazza_d
2010-10-30, 06:37
my 770 is still works great; although i don't use it anymore. dont use the 800 or the 810 either since i got the 900.

can't bear to part with them though.

i am not surprised though. quality engineering lasts. i still have 2 psions which work great after 12 years.

jurop88
2010-10-30, 06:41
mine WSODed out of warranty :-(

ehab
2010-11-08, 04:26
Well the n900 does need a bigger screen. Too bad nokia is so late to the touch screen game, i do not think they will survive it.

Zibeb
2010-11-12, 19:41
My N770 is still going. When I got the N810, the N770 went to my Sister... now it's in the hands of my father, but he's going to be getting his N800 in a few days, so it's going to go to my fiancée. That puts my family as having:

Father: N800
Fiancée: N770
Brother-in-Law: N800
Me: N810 (now dead) and N900.

only thing that died was my N810. Everything else is going strong.

desiv
2012-07-02, 18:03
Bumping this old thread...
My wife retired recently so we won't' be having lunch together everyday. I (we used to) commute over an hour each way to work, so no heading home for lunch.

I have an Android tablet, but it's just too big to carry with me everywhere.
So, I grabbed my trusty 770 and fired it up...

Still works great...
Using it for music while walking to lunch and fbreader to read while at lunch...
(and a few games here and there..)

I just love that screen and that case....

I also have a bluetooth GPS device and Maemo Mapper still works. Never used it much for turn by turn directions, but more for having a scrolling map when we're out hiking...

Great little device..
If the later models had the same basic design and case, I probably would have upgraded...

desiv

bunanson
2012-07-03, 03:51
Bumping this old thread...
My wife retired recently so we won't' be having lunch together everyday. I (we used to) commute over an hour each way to work, so no heading home for lunch.

I have an Android tablet, but it's just too big to carry with me everywhere.
So, I grabbed my trusty 770 and fired it up...

Still works great...
Using it for music while walking to lunch and fbreader to read while at lunch...
(and a few games here and there..)

I just love that screen and that case....

I also have a bluetooth GPS device and Maemo Mapper still works. Never used it much for turn by turn directions, but more for having a scrolling map when we're out hiking...

Great little device..
If the later models had the same basic design and case, I probably would have upgraded...

desiv

I hope you can still find some N800 and N810 around or in ebay. They are an order of magnitude better... The N900 too... Yes, they were all made by a company once called Nokia. Just google nokia, you will find his glory days in the past :(

bun

desiv
2012-07-03, 15:13
I hope you can still find some N800 and N810 around or in ebay. They are an order of magnitude better... The N900 too...

Unfortunately for me, I liked the design (hard slip cover, etc) even more than the features/specs..
So I preferred my 770...

And I even like OS2006.. Responsive, stable, fast booting. ;-)

I tried a few of the others (HE's, Mer (or was it deblet?), etc) and they were OK, but for full time use, OS2006 is my go to OS...

Problem with the 770 and 2006 is that it was so good, I didn't feel the need to upgrade. ;-)

Then again, I have more Amiga computers than PCs in my house, so the cutting edge isn't exactly where I live.. ;-)

desiv

Maemomd
2012-07-03, 17:40
Unfortunately for me, I liked the design (hard slip cover, etc) even more than the features/specs..
So I preferred my 770...

I tried a few of the others (HE's, Mer (or was it deblet?), etc) and they were OK, but for full time use, OS2006 is my go to OS...

Problem with the 770 and 2006 is that it was so good, I didn't feel the need to upgrade. ;-)

Then again, I have more Amiga computers than PCs in my house, so the cutting edge isn't exactly where I live.. ;-)

desiv

Agree with everything you said...I purchased a 800 for my cousin, a n900 and n9 for myself, but the design and materials of the 770 have not been surpassed as of yet, just an amazing device.

lma
2012-07-03, 20:32
So I preferred my 770...

I still miss the 770 cover, but as the next devices changed to an always-connected philosophy there was no need for the magnetic switch and I can see (though not entirely agree) why they removed the whole thing.

Other than that, the N800 trumps the 770 in every way (faster CPU, double the RAM & flash, more storage expansion, stereo speakers, webcam, FM receiver, stand and so on and so forth). Case-wise, I found the "official" N800 case (SU31) an adequate substitute, but then the N810 came and the keyboard (such as it is) trumps everything else for me (still looking for a good case for that).

With 64MB RAM, OS2006 is still the best option (as long as the wifi driver RAM corruption bug is patched, otherwise you risk spontaneous reboots, loss of data etc).

Fast booting isn't such a priority IMHO (current uptime: 46 days, and only because I was asked to switch it off by an overzealous flight attendant).

bunanson
2012-09-03, 13:59
True, 770 design is my favorite too. the cover and the stands. I wish nokia can stay with the same design but just upgrade the OS. Oh well, babies come, grow up, have their family... and their babies. The world move on.

bun

h3z
2012-09-22, 03:45
I hate Ipods, and Itunes, which caused me to try the Nokia770 .
It aleast has a stock pdf reader, and screen that I can read
the text on . They sell them on Amazon for 35 bucks .
The are great cheap mp3 players, and pdf readers .
I bought one and it works great . Batt lasts about 3 hours .
Can't use it much for wifi internet . It only logs in to my router
"With router set to wpa2 with wpa1 support" sometimes ?
Open hotspots are good, but the net is almost worthless on
the device anyway .
After the 770 sdhc kernel flash, I have a 32gb scandisk ultra sdhc
in mine .
The new sdhc cards have a chip inside them 1/3 the size of the
sdhc plastic case . I had an old 1gb mmc and popped its chip out,
and with a little non-abrasive glue the sdhc chip fits nicely in the
mmc case . Note: I would not do this with the stock 64mb mmc
case . You can buy old mmc cards for like 2 bucks online .
The hardest part for most people is flashing the kernel .
But, a seasoned linux user could flash the kernel on this thing,
giving them the use of 32gb sdhc cards . If you don't plan on
reading 250mb pdfs, or watching videos on the thing, its fine .
I wouldn't recomend it to anyone, other than the playful . :)

Some other notes: If you convert the video quality of a file down
to the standard format for the nokia, videos do work as well .
But, can any one in the world today handle that ? Its Ugly .
And, you can install links2 with xvkb from the links2 website for
a little faster web browsing . But, forget facebook, and youtube .
Also, the links2 team made nice deb files for links2, but they
left out the menu Icon for it . But xvkb has a menu Icon .
I even modified an old Easy Debian script to work for the 770 .
It has Fluxbox, and Lxde working fine . If anyone wants the files
let me know I'll post the google drive links to my stuff . Its all
in deb package format so, its easy to install or remove . The
only issue is I developed it only for OS2006 . If any one wants it
I'll post a some weak instructions for linux users . Anyone else
should forget about it . Its really only a linux hack that would
bother with an old device like this .
I also made a small deb to give links2 a menu icon, for anyone
that dosn't have term access .
Contact foxsourceseeker@gmail.com

h3z
2012-09-22, 04:20
For the 35 bucks, I thought about buying one for my Wife .
But, I might just give her mine . I started hacking the Benq S6 .
Its about 50 bucks on Ebay . I've booted Ubuntu 12.04 off of usb .
(Liveusb via dd iso copy) But, haven't installed and tested it yet .
They really need to make a pocket sized device that can run any
32 or 64 bit linux, with sd expansion, aleast 8gb ssd, usb, wifi,
some 3d X support, slider keyboard, and buttons to emulate
mouse middle/right click on stylus tap . And, all the hard-ware
needs to be open linux kernel compatable . And, do it under $200, yeah !
I heard Qole was looking for work . Maybe I should see if he wants
to market his own device . I guess people could install windows on
it, but why they'd wanna de-evolve ....
If anyone hears of one like that let me know :)