PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds being wiped from N800 reader

chrisoz
2007-05-01, 10:23
Anybody had any experiences with RSS feeds being wiped from the N800 feed reader? I set a load of feeds up, powered down the machine one evening, turned it on the next morning and they'd all gone. No error messages experienced on close down or boot up.

Pain in the ar*e. They need to support OPML file imports as I can't be bothered having to go through the process of setting up all the RSS feeds again. Good example of why I increasingly don't like locally hosted stuff on anything, or if something is locally hosted that I have it backed up or replicated elsewhere (all my RSS feeds are on Netvibes, having recently moved over to that from the mind numbingly dull Live.com).

Milhouse
2007-05-01, 10:33
Bug #1110 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1110).

Several threads have mentioned this problem too.

Making a backup of the device will backup your RSS feeds, so you should be able to restore them without too much trouble - not sure what Backup Data Selection is needed for the restore though, it could be Bookmarks, Settings or Document files. Some trial and error may be needed but it is possible to restore them from a backup.

jazzbass12
2007-05-01, 10:38
I have this issue when I use the Vista Theme posted here. When I switch to the stock theme, I never have the issue.
Sounds weird.

chrisoz
2007-05-01, 10:42
Thanks for that Milhouse

DrGary
2007-05-06, 06:05
I'm seeing this bug as well. I've seen it several times and have learned to use the backup/restore as a work-around.

The circumstance I see the bug seems to be when I take the N800 away from my home network. I browse offline for a while. When I return home, all of the feeds are gone. Maybe it has to do with the RSS reader quitting while offline?

The feeds don't disappear at home. The N800 is online and on/off/shutdown at various times. I've seen the feeds disappear 2 or 3 times now when returning home after using it away/offline.

Milhouse
2007-05-06, 08:04
DrGary - you might want to share that information in the bug I linked to in my earlier post as Nokia are finding it difficult to reproduce this problem.

FrogT
2007-05-06, 08:11
same problem here. Have tried setting up my RSS feeds twice, but gave up the second time after they disappeared. I just use google's mobile version of it's reader if I need to check my rss feeds. Not ideal.

Milhouse
2007-05-06, 08:27
Nokia have stated in the past that bug fixes will be prioritised according to demand based on the number of comments and votes in bugzilla, so get voting/commenting if you want this fixed! :)

The more votes/comments, the sooner the RSS app will be rewritten and fixed - currently it doesn't appear to be a high priority item for Nokia.

iball
2007-05-06, 08:38
I'm done with Nokia's built-in RSS reader.
Someone needs to build a better one.

euchreprof
2007-05-06, 08:48

Yeah I know it can be annoying to lose your feeds and then have to do a backup but... i like to have changing info on my home screen... just like the weather program which looped my machine and I had to install everything all over again... stressful yes... but personally I coudn't do without either of these programs so I learn to live with all the problems.

Milhouse
2007-05-06, 09:01

Not much point complaining here - complaints in Bugzilla carry far more weight and might result in the situation improving. :)

iball
2007-05-06, 11:43
Not much point complaining here - complaints in Bugzilla carry far more weight and might result in the situation improving. :)

As long as the bug is already listed it should result in the situation improving.
Seriously, do bugs need to be "voted on" to get fixed at Nokia?
That's a pretty broken bug system. Bug should get fixed as they're listed.

Milhouse
2007-05-06, 12:02
Not at all - Nokia have stated that due to limited resources they prioritise bug fixes according to bug activity/comments/votes (ie. perceived need). This bug has no votes, and Nokia are unable to reproduce it so more info will help and more comments will show there is increased demand for a fix.

No comments == no interest.

Of you're correct that in an ideal world bugs should be fixed as they're reported, but when resources are limited and working on other stuff (new features etc.) they have to prioritise the bug fixes for existing features along with the new developments.

Alvin
2007-05-09, 14:11
They need to support OPML file imports as I can't be bothered having to go through the process of setting up all the RSS feeds again. Good example of why I increasingly don't like locally hosted stuff on anything, or if something is locally hosted that I have it backed up or replicated elsewhere (all my RSS feeds are on Netvibes, having recently moved over to that from the mind numbingly dull Live.com).

Did you try either of these?

- In the Address field, enter the URL/file location for the OPML file

or

- RSS feed reader - menu - Feed - Add... - Browse

then select the OPML file?

The help file says this will work but I haven't tried it myself.