PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Mouse for the N800?

raanders
2007-05-03, 03:00
I got my Stowaway Sierra last week and as time permits we are learning to work together.
What would make this much easier is a BT mouse, preferably a thumb mouse, ie. one that doesn't require a flat surface to work. Probably more like a hand held track-ball.

So mostly the question is will a BT mouse work with the N800?

TAI,
Rod

gsagers
2007-05-03, 03:18
I couldn't get mine to pair with the n800 - from what I read, it's because the mouse is expecting a non-secure connection, and the n800 is asking for security. I only tried for a few minutes, though, so the answer isn't necessarily no.

chris4amd
2007-05-07, 15:11
Can't find it on the Maemo Bugzilla site ATM, but I submitted BT mouse support as an enhancement and it was closed as a WONTFIX. :(

taborclayton
2007-05-07, 22:59
Waity wait wait!
Waity. WAAIT!

Mouse? I can use the meeses with my tablet?

I be filled with joy.
:D

helmutk
2007-05-08, 18:04
I tried connecting my BT Stowaway Mouse with the n800 and it seems to pair but it does not have any Supported Profiles and does not do anything.

vash
2007-05-16, 04:20
Same thing with my rocketfish mouse - it pairs, but no pointer appears

mobiledivide
2007-06-05, 20:24
Once again there is a little discrepancy over what Nokia wants and what the users want. I have a little stand that I put the N800 on so that it is closer to eye level, I can then touch type with my bluetooth keyboard. With a BT Mouse I would fully be able to use the device as a docked workstation, kinda like this OQO http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/3912-dock.jpg

I'm not sure how the Bluetooth licensing issues go but I wish Nokia would have put in Headset profiles and HID mouse profiles at least.

konttori
2007-06-05, 21:11
Mouse pointer not showing doesn't mean it's not working. N800 has invisible mouse pointer by default. You have to enable mouse pointer in some config to be able to see the pointer. If your mouse pairs, try seeing if you are able to register any event with it.

E-ville
2007-07-03, 04:27
any one get a mouse working and the cursor?

Rocketman
2007-07-03, 06:14
I believe the quick synergy developer recently posted instructions on getting a cursor to appear on Maemo Garage News. I think his instructions require you to run a script and then reboot for the cursor to appear.

I too would like to be able to use a BT mouse with my N800. It would be great help for using the N800 for RD/VNC purposes and the odd game of Quake 2. It may not be high on their priority list, but it seems like it would be trivial to add as a "completely unsupported, don't call us" feature.

On the other hand, adding A2DP support is likely non-trivial, but is extremely high on my wish list of features.

tobiasj
2007-07-12, 15:09
Well, I have used this script, and got the mouse cursor to show, however the BT mouse doesnt cause it to move or click.

The odd thing is, moving the BT mouse will cause the N800 to wake from sleep or bring the backlight back to full brightness, which I find odd if not moving the mouse cursor.

Oh well, so much for a complete pocketsized laptop replacment. I guess I will just stick with a pocketsized MOSTLY laptop replacement.

-John

icerabbit
2007-07-29, 00:19
Dang ... I just got my hopes up I would be able to use a bluetooth mouse.

Is there a feature request form?
What about bugs?

I've been sending some feedbacks on a variety of things that could be improved, but you never know if you're barking up the wrong tree or if somebody will actually notice what you type.

icerabbit
2007-07-29, 00:20
Dang ... I just had my hopes up I would be able to use a bluetooth mouse ... :mad:

Is there a feature request form?
What about bugs?

I've been sending some feedbacks on a variety of things that could be improved, but you never know if you're barking up the wrong tree or if somebody will actually notice what you type.

nulix
2007-08-01, 12:52
I have found a website which explain how to do this.
http://thelemming.org.uk/maemo/btmice/maemo_mouse_readme.txt

But you need to be with the good version of the kernel on the 770, I used the SU-18_2006SE_1.2006.26-8_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin

It would be possible to adapt this to the N800, the patchs are on the site.

That work fine on my tablet now.

I use it with an Apple Mouse and a kensington.

:cool:

penguinbait
2007-08-01, 14:00
I have found a website which explain how to do this.
http://thelemming.org.uk/maemo/btmice/maemo_mouse_readme.txt

But you need to be with the good version of the kernel on the 770, I used the SU-18_2006SE_1.2006.26-8_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin

It would be possible to adapt this to the N800, the patchs are on the site.

That work fine on my tablet now.

I use it with an Apple Mouse and a kensington.

:cool:

Can you right click?

nulix
2007-08-02, 07:54
No I can't right click.

But before stage 7 in the procedure (before flashing the new kernel), I've try to use the mouse, and that don't work properly in some case but the right click work, if I remember well.

So, I think it's only a problem with the patch on the kernel.

But I'm not sure.

icerabbit
2007-11-19, 01:17
That website account appears suspended. At least right now.

Does anyone know if the OS2008 supports a BT Mouse?

It seems really silly to support a keyboard and not a mouse.

For use at home or anywhere at a desk, mouse support can be considered nearly as important as external keyboard support, when you want to for instance dedicate your primary email account to the tablet. I know we have the stylus ... but mousing around and getting right click support would be faster.

Benson
2007-11-21, 16:01
That website account appears suspended. At least right now.
Yes, but I checked google's cache :)
Here it is.

lbattraw
2007-11-21, 17:00
Does anyone have a copy of the patch? I struggled with compiling KDrive/X and although I could make a working X server I never got past pairing the mouse and making the cursor appear. No amount of tinkering with the command line options and compilation changes could make the X server actually listen to the mouse device despite a successful pairing and data received on the /dev/input device. The code for using the mouse is present, it just doesn't seem to be enabled. I talked to Daniel Stone (from Nokia) who did the work to modify the source to use the touch screen and according to him it should work. At least that's what I remember ;) Unfortunately he was unable to give any information leading to it functioning and I get the strong impression that Nokia is not interested at all in this although it would be very easy to make it work since they already did the work to disable it and use the touch screen instead.

Before their work I don't think there was a problem using a mouse since that's how most people use X and would be the default when compiling. It's annoying that they managed to break that when patching it for the touch screen since so many people could benefit from it, especially when using alternate desktop environments like KDE that expect a mouse with at least two buttons to work well.

Larry